Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.

+3
Imelda HL
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:After discovering the depressing obits for Michelle & Brian I went back through my old emails & messages and read over some from Michelle.  She sure had a gift of gab!  LOL

Anyway, in one we had been discussing Barbara, who I started the forum with.  She could be a moody one ~ and Michelle & I were discussing how private Barb was about a lot of things....I mentioned Barb didn't even tell me her 'real' last name, but rather a screen name she used so people couldn't look her up and contact her without her permission.  Well, long story short, Michelle mentioned she just went back through HER old messages and found where Barb had told her what her last name was.

So, with that information fresh in my mind, I did a search of Barb's name and, low and behold, she wasn't ignoring the messages I've sent her over the years.....

She passed away September 7, 2016 ~ she was active here until July, 2016, I think and had a disagreement with me and left in a 'huff'.  But I had attempted to contact her a number of times to return.  I thought she must have been REALLY angry with me as she never responded.

Her 'obit' only listed her name, age (72) and nothing else, no names of her daughter or son.

Well, now I know ~

All this is making me so very sad.......

and depressed.

It's sad, I was wondering how she was doing too, wondering if she started her own cooking forum. I was surprised that she passes away, I did not know she was sick. May she rest in peace

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

It's sad, I was wondering how she was doing too, wondering if she started her own cooking forum. I was surprised that she passes away, I did not know she was sick. May she rest in peace

She had multiple health issues ~ she was Type 2 Diabetic and had some heart and blood pressure issues. But I had no idea she passed away in 2016, shortly after having a disagreement with me. As I said, I tried to message/email her and I thought she was just being stubborn and letting me hang.......now I feel terrible for what I had been thinking.

Imelda HL likes this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Cookin Lore wrote:I was planning to make a Channa roti to take to my nephew tomorrow for his birthday, and then didn't have a can of chickpeas, so I have to soak some for tomorrow.  So, plan B it was.  I had a smoked makerel in the fridge so that, on top of a big salad was dinner.  
What is Channa roti?

cookingirl

cookingirl

On Easter I half of a large piece of salmon from the fish store. It was fresh Wild Salmon.. so dark Pink.. almost red. It was so good. I split the piece into 2 filets.

Cooked it stove top, with EVOO.. I forgot to baste it Gordon Ramsey's way, with butt when I flipped it over.. but it came out good. I have never cooked a salmon filet before. I usually use salmon steak, broiled, during the summer.

It was good.. not overdone, but I think I used a bit too much EVOO; very crispy on each side. I do not eat the skin.

For Easter, I had green beans and wild rice.. Not a fan of wild rice..

Monday, I had leftovers, tossed the wild rice; taking a small container of cooked spaghetti squash out of the freezer.. It was good..

Yesterday, I was not feeling well. My six months between the two doses of shingles vaccine were up this week, on the 11... I had to get the second dose... I dread that because I got such a bad reaction to the first dose and I am still recovering from the hospital visit..

I got it on Tuesday, early afternoon.. I forget what I ate on Tuesday, for supper, but it ws good.. my mind is jut not there anymore...

Woke up Wednesday, very early morning/night.. after 1AM, shivering, freezing.. took Temp. 100 degrees.

The shivering stopped, but I was so darn hot.. Temp peaked at 100.8.... I was taking Arthritis strength tylenol..
Needless to say, food was not in my future.

I ended up getting showering, getting dressed, ran down to building store for some bagels, english muffing and so cream cheese... That is what I ate yesterday..

Today, woke up with temp of 99.8... much better, but still a fever, and my usual torso rash..

It has to be some type of reaction to the additives in the vaccine..

I looked them up: Pneumonia is a active virus. Shingles is from the protein of the virus; not active..
The Covid is an mRNA vaccine... all different, and all give me a reaction..

Wonder if that means my immune system is woking?? I do not know, but I wish I would stop getting sick from all these vaccines..

Yesterday, I did take a container of chicken soup out of the freezer.. I mad it.. I do not know if I will eat it today or not. I did order a turkey club sandwich for supper.. It depends on how I feel..
Yesterday, I did not even feel like heating anything up... the english muffins were all I could handle..
Spent all day in bed..

With Geoffrey cuddling me.. Poor baby wanted to play, so desperately.. He was even trying to open the drawer where I keep his wand toys.. but he was a good nurse.. even lying down on the foot of the recliner while I watched Star Trek Voyager, last night.. sweet baby..

He knows when I do not feel well.. He is always at my side.. when I am sick.. always cuddling with me..
Geoffrey is still a baby at heart.. He is 5 years old.. but he was so frightened when I adopted him~~ hiding, afraid of everything.. He finally broke out of his shell, became a real cat, 2 years ago.. when I moved.. so his emotional capacity is that of a 2 year old.. sweet.. not a biter. not a scratcher..

All the Vets say he is such a good cat.. He really is.. still makes me laugh.. and we still play, a miniature
"chase" around the apartment.. every night.. I play 'monster' and he runs..

Sorry for rambling... just a bit of my day...

bethk, UNCLE JIMMY and Imelda HL like this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

cookingirl wrote:On Easter I half of a large piece of salmon from the fish store. It was fresh Wild Salmon.. so dark Pink.. almost red. It was so good. I split the piece into 2 filets.

Cooked it stove top, with EVOO.. I forgot to baste it Gordon Ramsey's way, with butt when I flipped it over.. but it came out good. I have never cooked a salmon filet before. I usually use salmon steak, broiled, during the summer.

It was good.. not overdone, but I think I used a bit too much EVOO; very crispy on each side. I do not eat the skin.

Oh, dear, Cyn ~ so sorry you're experiencing EVERY POSSIBLE side effect of the vaccine. I hope all settles down and you start to get your strength back.

But here's something to think about to take your mind off things......

I cook salmon for Dane when I make grouper for me. I'm not a fan of salmon so I don't mind the two pans on the stove or grill. I usually butcher his filets into strips about 2" wide so they end up thick in the center and tapering at the edges. I cook it in a small 8" non-stick skillet with a lid. I heat the skillet to medium and add just a scant 1 tsp. of olive oil to the center of the skillet. I place the salmon filet on the bit of oil and smear it around just a bit so the skin doesn't stick ~ then I season with a bit of s&p and put on the lid. After about 2 - 3 minutes I check to see if the fish is turning opaque about halfway through the thickest part (in the middle). It always surprises me how much 'fat' renders from under the small amount of skin. I'll turn the filet over with a tongs, careful not to let it break apart and allow it to cook, still on medium for another couple minutes. I check the center with my Thermapen thermometer for a 135° - 145° reading. When at the right temp I remove to a plate and let it sit and rest for about 3 minutes.

Dane removes the fish flesh from the skin as he eats it.....

Fish is so very easy to cook and salmon, especially, can be cooked to just about any temperature without being ruined.

cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

[quote="bethk"]
Cookin Lore wrote:

I learned a trick when I was making hummus for snacking ~ canned chickpeas with some water added and simmered until REALLY soft and tender.  Also, some 'roasted / grilled' lemon for a tiny bit of 'smoky' flavor.  My hummus was so very smooth ~ just the way I like it.

I just 'googled' the recipe ~ I'm not familiar with Indian dishes at all!  The recipe I saw called for a curry powder (and I'm assuming it doesn't resemble the goldenrod-yellow powder I have in my pantry that I use for chicken salad) and something called amchar powder.  Not familiar with that at all.  I love that you're really enjoying delving into a new cultural adventure!

Many of the powders/spice mixtures in grocery stores here are a basic mix of some popular spices . I looked up amchar powder........................ It is a mix of coriander, black peppercorns, fennel seed, brown mustard seed, and fenugreek seed. Apparently, in India, the main dish is just called the curry, and the garam masala is also a mix of spices of that particular region/cook/cookbook author. In the recipes, it gives a list of ingredients, then also a list of what makes up the masala or spices. Sometimes they are just sprinkled at various times, sometimes combined, sometimes ground in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder. I have made up my own "garam masala" for the recipes I am using from my book. I think using a commercial "curry powder" is considered the lazy cook's way.

Interestingly, the smell of what I have always associated with Indian cooking (and don't particularly like) has not shown up in the mixes that I have used through this adventure.

bethk and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Bugster2

Bugster2

Lore, if you haven't seen the movie, then you need to. It is called "The Hundred -Foot Journey". It is about an Indian family that opens a restaurant across the street from a 2 star Michelin restaurant, somewhere in France. I am about to pull it out to watch it again.

bethk, cookingirl, UNCLE JIMMY and JanaAZ like this post

Cookin Lore

THanks.  Netflix? Amazon Prime? Or on Demand?

PS. Indian cooking is definitely more than 100 ft. away from my German roots. LOL

bethk, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

Cookin Lore

I was planning to make channa roti today to take to my nephew for his birthday, but he's busy with business, so I'll do it on Saturday. BUT, I learned something new and very delicious. The roti recipe is channa (chickpeas) and I found that I didn't have a can in my pantry. So, I soaked some dry ones overnight, cooked them this morning. I may never buy another can of them again. The flavour of them just cooked is soooooo much nicer than out of the can.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The closest I ever came to cooking chick peas, was canned ones.
''Pasta Chi Chi''

Simple.... Onions cooked with tomato sauce and then add the chick peas.
Shells pasta ...Oh!, and we try and buy Goya brand beans.

bethk likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, did you add anything special to the beans to cook?  I always get confused if I should add salt to the water when it starts to boil / simmer or wait until they're cooked ~ so many conflicting reports.  

Just wondering if you did anything 'special'.....

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

It was a warm day so it only seemed right to fire up the charcoal and keep the heat outside.....

Burgers on the grill, sweet potato chunks browned in some butter and olive oil and then a lid put on the skillet to let them simmer in their own juices and some fresh corn cut from the cob.

Oh, and a grilled onion slice for me! Dane had his burger with cheese on a bun with a couple slices of raw onion to add some crunch.

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 3 04_08_11

UNCLE JIMMY likes this post

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Lore, did you add anything special to the beans to cook?  I always get confused if I should add salt to the water when it starts to boil / simmer or wait until they're cooked ~ so many conflicting reports.  

Just wondering if you did anything 'special'.....

Absolutely nothing. Just water to cook!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Today was the first time I cooked with Pesto sauce, I made Chicken breasts topped with pesto sauce and olive oil, baked for 20 minutes, then added sliced tomato and mozzarella cheese, broiled for 10 minutes. I served it with baked potato ( well, I cooked my potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes ), topped it with sour cream and chive, steamed some fresh asparagus on the side. I think they all liked it, everybody cleaned out their plates

It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 3 16955510
It's April 2021;What's Cooking / Eating Etc.  - Page 3 17065310

bethk, NormM, cookingirl and UNCLE JIMMY like this post

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a garden salad, and a slice of sausage topping pizza tonight. A chocolate cookie for dessert.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I was planning to make a Channa roti to take to my nephew tomorrow for his birthday, and then didn't have a can of chickpeas, so I have to soak some for tomorrow.  So, plan B it was.  I had a smoked makerel in the fridge so that, on top of a big salad was dinner.  

What is Channa roti?

Roti is a fairly large flatbread used in Indian, Asian and Caribbean cuisine. Channa is chickpeas. My nephew spent 3 years in Trinidad where he learned to love it.

The roti is filled with many different things, wrapped up like almost an ice cream cone. David is now vegan, so the filling I make will be mostly chickpeas. Apparently the Trinidad version has a green pea mush that is put on the whole roti like buttering the bread, then the "filling in the middle, then it is wrapped by first folding up the bottom, then each side over, the top left open so you can see the filling.

There is a Caribbean takeout place near the hospital where I used to take my sister, and I learned to like some different Caribbean food. Her husband is from Trinidad. My first taste of a roti was with a goat filling. YUMMY! Trinidadian food has a lot of Indian roots.

bethk likes this post

cookingirl

cookingirl

Imelda, I love pesto!! OMG. It is so good.. I just slather it over pasta. I am so bad.. I add extra parmesan cheese on top of it.. with sauteed Italian sausages, it is so good...

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:

Roti is a fairly large flatbread used in Indian, Asian and Caribbean cuisine.  Channa is chickpeas.  My nephew spent 3 years in Trinidad where he learned to love it.

The roti is filled with many different things, wrapped up like almost an ice cream cone.  David is now vegan, so the filling I make will be mostly chickpeas.  Apparently the Trinidad version has a green pea mush that is put on the whole roti like buttering the bread,  then the "filling in the middle, then it is wrapped by first folding up the bottom, then each side over, the top left open so you can see the filling.  

There is a Caribbean takeout place near the hospital where I used to take my sister, and I learned to like some different Caribbean food.  Her husband is from Trinidad.  My first taste of a roti was with a goat filling.  YUMMY!  Trinidadian food has a lot of Indian roots.

I was just looking at all the different roti / chickpea flat bread recipes from so many different countries ~ It's fascinating to see so many different methods for making almost the same thing.

I've seen a 'bread' made on Diners, Drive-ins & Dives where cooked lentils are enclosed in a dough and then rolled out, careful not to let the lentils break through the dough. Then it's cooked on an inverted type griddle and flipped using a long, flat spatula, something similar to what is used when making lefse (Norwegian potato flatbread).

I didn't think about it until I noticed the chickpea flatbread was being touted as a 'diet bread' because it's made with high protein chickpeas instead of wheat or corn flour. But that makes a lot of sense.

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:Lore, if you haven't seen the movie, then you need to. It is called "The Hundred -Foot Journey". It is about an Indian family that opens a restaurant across the street from a 2 star Michelin restaurant, somewhere in France. I am about to pull it out to watch it again.

I looked for the movie, found it on I think Prime, but subtitled, and I really don't like subtitled movies. Will think about it another day.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Today was the first time I cooked with Pesto sauce, I made Chicken breasts topped with pesto sauce and olive oil, baked for 20 minutes, then added sliced tomato and mozzarella cheese, broiled for 10 minutes. I served it with baked potato ( well, I cooked my potatoes in the microwave for 5 minutes ), topped it with sour cream and chive, steamed some fresh asparagus on the side. I think they all liked it, everybody cleaned out their plates

Imelda, your chicken with pesto, tomato & mozzarella looks amazing!

I'm hoping you 'pesto lovers' will help me out with a store brand of pesto that you think is very good.

My problem is my dislike of the anise flavor of most basils, and also not caring for the flavor of corriander as well as a complete avoidance of the dreaded C-I-L-A-N-T-R-O......Ewwww, I can't even type it out without shivering! LOL

I look at the recipes for pesto and I'm thinking maybe I should try one with spinach (for the vibrant green color), parsley (which I DO like the flavor of), walnuts or pistachios and olive oil.

I just haven't had much luck in finding a pesto that doesn't make me want to wipe it off my tongue with a paper napkin......

Imelda HL likes this post

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Lore, if you haven't seen the movie, then you need to. It is called "The Hundred -Foot Journey". It is about an Indian family that opens a restaurant across the street from a 2 star Michelin restaurant, somewhere in France. I am about to pull it out to watch it again.

I looked for the movie, found it on I think Prime, but subtitled, and I really don't like subtitled movies.  Will think about it another day.

Lore, I just found this on YouTube. I'm hoping you can view it on your computer.......from the short part I watched I think it's the English language version of the movie.....

(I went out to the theatre to see it when it was released with our neighborhood ladies' group years ago ~ we all enjoyed it)

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcWbngAg34

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Imelda, I love pesto!! OMG. It is so good.. I just slather it over pasta. I am so bad.. I add extra parmesan cheese on top of it.. with sauteed Italian sausages, it is so good...

It sounds good Cindy... I love parmesan cheese on spaghetti dishes.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:

I looked for the movie, found it on I think Prime, but subtitled, and I really don't like subtitled movies.  Will think about it another day.

Lore, I just found this on YouTube.  I'm hoping you can view it on your computer.......from the short part I watched I think it's the English language version of the movie.....

(I went out to the theatre to see it when it was released with our neighborhood ladies' group years ago ~ we all enjoyed it)

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHcWbngAg34

THanks, I will look again. There was another movie which a friend suggested I watch. (different subject) and the description said subtitled, but it was the English version. That may be true with this also, I was in a bit of a hurry when I looked it up. Subtitles are just annoying, but I have watched others.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I can't stand subtitles either.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to have to start locking up food around here. Two days ago I wanted some chips and dip. I had the chips : new and unopened but needed some sour cream. I got the sour cream today when I sent Joe to the store. Made the dip but found someone had eaten the entire bag of chips. That same person ate a half can of very expensive nuts I bought for myself. A couple of weeks ago Kate gave me some See's candy for my birthday. After I got home from the hospital I found the entire box was gone. I need to lock up food. It isn't safe around here.

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum