Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
cookingirl
bethk
Cookin Lore
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 14]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina picked up 2 nice eggplants at Aldi's store near her uncles. That will be tomorrows meal.

########################################
While I'm thinking of it.
If anyone uses a lot of que tips, they are substituting the assembly plants to make
swabs to sample the virus. I told Tina, and she picked up 4 big boxes, and she said
most stores she was at today, had none or very little.
Toilet paper and paper towels are beginning to stay on the shelves, but they are still
rationed ..... 1 case per customer.

Cookin Lore

I think many of us wake up and think about dinner. LOL Think I'll make a stew today.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I took your advice and bought some Q-Tips. there were plenty in the store.

They are predicting a shortage of meat in a couple of weeks. Hope not.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I took your advice and bought some Q-Tips. there were plenty in the store.

They are predicting a shortage of meat in a couple of weeks. Hope not.

Well.... it hit here. The butcher shop we get out meat from had no meat in the cases yesterday. Only chickens.

Target and Walmart has no wipes. No alcohol, and no masks for homeowners.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We've had rain ALL DAY.....started about 4 a.m. and rained off and on all day. We don't have any rain now and the temperature is down to 70° so I'm not complaining one bit. In total, I think we got about 1 1/2", which isn't a big deal for us.

Unfortunately, Dane had planned to play two rounds of golf ~ 9 holes at his usual 7:15 a.m. and then another 9 holes as a sub for one of the groups he subs for at 1:30 p.m. HE was NOT a happy camper. However, as far as I'm concerned, it was a win-win day for me. I heard him banging around out in the garage this morning and didn't want to disturb him as long as he wasn't under foot so I waited until close to lunch time, after I had vacuumed & cleaned up a bit to see what he was up to. I finally went out and saw he had put in a new electrical outlet in the garage ceiling and installed one of our old ceiling fans out by the laundry unit. I'm thrilled. I've been looking forward to having some air circulation ever since we got done with the house renovation and changed all the fans. He said he had been waiting for a 'slow, cool' day and today was good for that.

I didn't know what to fix for supper. When I had gone to the store last week they had Hebrew National hot dogs on sale BOGO so I got a couple packages of their knockwurst (big fat hot dogs). What the heck, it was as good as anything else I could think of. And, it turned out pretty tasty.

I browned the knockwurst a bit to get some flavor in the skillet and then added a small can of sauerkraut with a half a grated apple (evens out the tartness of the kraut). He suggested smashed potatoes (the steamed/smashed/browned) but I didn't have any baby potatoes. So, mashed it was. It was like winning the lottery! And just so there would be some color on my plate, glazed carrots.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 04_24_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina made me eggplant parm...

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 Img_1823

bethk

bethk
Admin

Eggplant Parm made with fresh eggplant! You must have been thrilled, Jimmy. (Tina's so good to you!)

I decided to make the Orange Chicken again because (1) I don't want the rest of the orange sauce to get lost in the refrigerator and go bad and (2) It was so good the first time, I just want it again!

This time I'm using a few boneless/skinless chicken thighs that I have in the freezer. I'll trim them up and cut into chunks when they're thawed.

I like when I can get my carrots sliced/julienned, celery & onion sliced and put on a plate ready to go. Then, when I'm ready to cook and throw it all together it's all done and ready to go.

Bugster2

Bugster2

It is going to be hot today - 96. I don't know what is for dinner yet. Perhaps shrimp scampi.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last week I decided it was time to order some new knives. Mine are inexpensive & old and just won't hold an edge. And I have no idea where my sharpening stone is ~ and even if I had it handy, I'm really not very good at getting the angle correct to get a good sharp edge.

I had seen great reviews for Victorinox knives holding a sharp edge so I decided to buy a 6" Chef knife and a 6" Flexible Boning knife. I like shorter knives. They came in a couple days and I have to say, they're like cutting with a razor blade! I told Dane if he used them to be really careful. He's opting for the older, heavier ones in the drawer.

Good.

I just cleaned up the icky stuff from the boneless chicken thighs. Sliced through like butter.

If you like a knife with some weight, some 'heft', these are NOT for you. They are super lightweight and have some sort of plastic-like composite handle. But they're comfortable in my size hand and seem to be somewhat 'non-slip'. And super sharp!!!

They were only about $25 each so, what the heck. I figure I got a deal.

bethk

bethk
Admin

A repeat of Orange Chicken......

(from last Monday.....)

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 04_25_12

NormM

NormM

I saw a Thai recipe for salmon that looked good. I got some fresh salmon at the Asian Market. The sauce was coconut milk seasoned with red chili paste, ginger, lemon grass, garlic, brown sugar and fish sauce. It was good. We had it with rice and radish kimchi.April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 20200422

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 Img_1824

Ms. Stouffer cooked tonight. A little tomato salad, and it hit the spot.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I used some of the leftover chicken from the roast chicken from last Sunday that I had in the freezer to make some chicken salad for my lunch. I'll have enough for a couple days, to be sure ~ it's not something Dane likes so I make it just the way I like it ~ lots of celery, green grapes and a little bit of shredded carrot. Oh, and toasted slivered almonds to sprinkle over the top.

But of course, the almonds got toasted TWICE ~ why is it when you KNOW not to walk away you always do and the almonds burn? It's happened to me more times than I like to admit. Stupid me. But the second batch is now cooled and in an airtight container that will get stored in the freezer if there are too many to use.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I use Smokehouse almonds and either shallots or green onions in my chicken salad.

I freeze leftover cooked chicken and turkey too but I find that the freezing changes the texture of the meat. I don't care for it but I use it hidden in turkey or chicken pot pie. It is quite good that way.

I was reading an article on Kitchn about a girl who only spends $85 a week to feed two people. I looked at her shopping list and saw that my husband nor I would eat what she bought: tofu, kale, garbanzos - everything that is good for you LOL. I have a meat and potatoes man and that food simply would not do. He would take one look, one taste, walk away and then eat me for dinner. Last night I made a meatless taco salad of sorts. It was those hard, preformed taco shells ( i prefer greasy tacos). I filled them with avocado, cheese, lettuce, tomato and ranch dressing. They weren't bad but weren't great either. Three hours later Joe was rooting around in the fridge for something else to eat. He ended up eating a half can of cashews and half a bag of jelly beans.

I am smoking my very first brisket today. I am using Traeger's recipe called beginner's brisket. It is a small chunk of meat - 2 pounds. This will be interesting. For all i know it will turn out to be a dried out piece of jerky.

Cookin Lore

bethk wrote:Last week I decided it was time to order some new knives.  Mine are inexpensive & old and just won't hold an edge.  And I have no idea where my sharpening stone is ~ and even if I had it handy, I'm really not very good at getting the angle correct to get a good sharp edge.

I had seen great reviews for Victorinox knives holding a sharp edge so I decided to buy a 6" Chef knife and a 6" Flexible Boning knife.  I like shorter knives.  They came in a couple days and I have to say, they're like cutting with a razor blade!  I told Dane if he used them to be really careful.  He's opting for the older, heavier ones in the drawer.

Good.

I just cleaned up the icky stuff from the boneless chicken thighs.  Sliced through like butter.

If you like a knife with some weight, some 'heft', these are NOT for you.  They are super lightweight and have some sort of plastic-like composite handle.  But they're comfortable in my size hand and seem to be somewhat 'non-slip'.  And super sharp!!!

They were only about $25 each so, what the heck.  I figure I got a deal.

I'm a bit of a stickler for having good knives. My two favourites are a Wusthof and a Cutco. Each over $100.00 but to me worth every penny. Both well over 15 years old.

Bugster2

Bugster2

My knives are an ancient set of Global. I have a couple of super cheap knives by Rado and a couple of Wusthof and one Shun. I have an inexpensive asian bread knife with a wood handle. My Globals don't hold their edge but that is my fault - I throw them in the dishwasher.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I thought of a dish I use to make a lot, especially when we lived in Ohio. I think it's a 'cool weather' dish and today was anything but cool ~ but it's what I made and life goes on. I use to call it jambalaya but it's really nothing like that dish. I though about gumbo ~ but there's not much to make it similar in taste to that dish, either, especially since I don't care for okra and wouldn't put it in.

As we were eating it dawned on me ~ I forgot to add the shrimp! Boy, my mind must be on vacation. But, we ate it anyway. Maybe when I reheat the second half I'll add the shrimp....or not.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 04_26_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good to me Beth...

We had hot dogs, Sloppy Joes, and French fries for supper today.
The Germy kids came to see Great Grandma and papa.
I call them "The Great Carriers!" Of Germs that is.
Nice huh?.... And Granddaughter works in a Drs. office...

Bugster2

Bugster2

Your grandaughter out to know better than to do that.

I smoked a brisket today - my first. i am not sure what it is supposed to be like. I followed Traegers dirctions and I found that the brisket was tender but had an odd texture. It was dry. I have never eaten one either so I don't know if this is how it is supposed to be. Joe liked it and thatis what counts. He will have leftover brisket sandwiches tomorrow.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Your grandaughter out to know better than to do that.

I smoked a brisket today - my first. i am not sure what it is supposed to be like. I followed Traegers dirctions  and I found that the brisket was tender but had an odd texture. It was dry. I have never eaten one either so I don't know if this is how it is supposed to be. Joe liked it and thatis what counts. He will have leftover brisket sandwiches tomorrow.

No body sure as sh!t gives a hoot about me. I'm the one with the fuse of death in the family.

NormM

NormM

Brisket can be done at around 190 or even lower but it will probably be dry unless slow cooked to 200 or a little over. A test for brisket is to cut a slice as thick as a pencil, then hold it up by one end and it will not fall apart but can easily be pulled apart and it will be juicy because at that higher temperature, the collagen has melted. I have had brisket get done in as little as 8 hours but I expect it to usually take 12 or more hours at about 250º

NormM

NormM

There are now four blooms on the azalea.  Charlie pointed out a recipe in the Koreatown cookbook and asked me to make it. He said he had it at a restaurant and it was really good.  It is baby back ribs cut apart between every bone, marinated in a spicy sauce then grilled for 15 to 20 minutes.  That is going to be dinner tonight. I hope it stops raining by then.April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 12 20200424

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:Brisket can be done at around 190 or even lower but it will probably be dry unless slow cooked to 200 or a little over.  A test for brisket is to cut a slice as thick as a pencil, then hold it up by one end and it will not fall apart but can easily be pulled apart and it will be juicy because at that higher temperature, the collagen has melted.  I have had brisket get done in as little as 8 hours but I expect it to usually take 12 or more hours at about 250º

I cooked the brisket to 195. It was tender but dry. I am thinking that after the initial smoke, maybe it should be wrapped in foil with some liquid. Do you wrap yours?

NormM

NormM

I wrap it in foil after about 4 hours.  If you want to move it inside after it is wrapped and finish it in a 250º oven, it is a lot easier and no one will know the difference if you don't tell them.    It would not be dry if kept in for another 5 or 8 degrees.  Sometimes it stalls at around 190 to 195 and seems to take forever to move on up that little bit more. It is not necessary to wrap it but do not add any liquid if you do. It is the collagen melting that makes it moist and more tender. When it is cooked to the right temperature, there will be plenty of liquid ( au jus) in the foil when it is done.

I can only wonder who forgot their brisket was in the big wood burning oven and then thought he was going to get in trouble for not paying attention only to discover how much better it was.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I don't know where the post is, but when I posted the faux pastrami, from the Cheater Chef, It states to soak the corned beef to remove the salt / sodium from the corned beef
overnight in the refrigerator. No wonder it was so salty tasting. hahahahahaha
I have to find that post from ~2 years ago or more.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum