Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all?

+5
UNCLE JIMMY
NormM
cookingirl
bethk
Cookin Lore
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 14]

NormM

NormM

When I boil corned beef, I cover it with water, pour it off, cover it again and bring it to a simmer, pour off the water then add water again and boil it until it is done.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Ingredients
4-6 lb Corned Beef Brisket
3 tbsp Whole Black Peppercorns
3 tbsp Coriander Seeds cracked in a food processor
Instructions
Soak corned beef brisket overnight in water to remove salt.
Mix pepper and ground coriander and rub all over the rinsed corned beef.
Set up smoker for higher heat 275-300 degree smoking.
Smoke corned beef until internal temperature of about 175.
Set up steamer basket and steam the smoked corned beef until internal temperature of about 200 degrees.
Rest for 30 min.
Slice thin.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:
When I boil corned beef, I cover it with water, pour it off, cover it again and bring it to a simmer, pour off the water then add water again and boil it until it is done.

I do that once in a while, but I would have to do it maybe twice, and then..... add beer as the cooking liquid.

Thanks Norm..... good show!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:
I do that with chicken soup too.
I don't like the scum on the soup....

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. I thought wrapping it in foil might help with the moisture. I am gald to hear that you wrap yours. I always wrap my ribs after the initial smoking too. I use the 3-2-1 method.

NormM

NormM

Here are the ribs I made for tonight. I also had a spicy baby eggplant and corn. I tried a sourdough starter made with potato bread and made a loaf with it and altho I didn't take as much time with it as I should have, it came out pretty much OK.April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200427
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200425
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200426

NormM

NormM

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm. I am going to see if he has any other videos. I am a novice at smoking meat.

NormM

NormM

He had a whole season on BBQ on PBS a few years ago. i think they are on you tube now.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Here are the ribs I made for tonight. I also had a spicy baby eggplant and corn.  I tried a sourdough starter made with potato bread and made a loaf with it and altho I didn't take as much time with it as I should have, it came out pretty much OK.April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200427
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200425
April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 20200426

You really outdid yourself on this one norm. It deserves a "Who's Coming to Eat?" Award! ....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was chicken soup and Matzo balls tonight.
Oh So Good.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I love matzo ball soup.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I love matzo ball soup.

Tina says chicken soup kills the germs. Even the CVD-19.
It is cool here, as a matter of fact, freeze warning tonight.

NormM

NormM

Thank you Jimmy.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, that video was from here in The Villages ~ the performer entertains at our Town Squares regularly (we have LOTS of entertainers who have that type of sound equipment and just enjoy performing for small groups). She wanted to do her part to help her neighbors break the boredom. Notice they came in their golf carts....

The song she performed is one that is very popular here, as is anything with a patriotic theme. It's a great place for veterans to feel respected and loved.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Last night Darlene came for 'cocktail hour' (or 2.....). No one in our neighborhood has traveled anywhere and if we get together it's sitting outside, at a minimum of 6' apart. She did stay to have supper of leftovers with us ~ served on the table outside.

She and Dane had BLT's and I had leftover knockwurst, sauerkraut & mashed potatoes.

Tonight I'm making pizzas on the grill. Jeanie will stop over to join us in the courtyard.

I've got the dough made and sitting for a first rise. After it doubles I'll deflate and let it do a second rise before I break down into balls to sit in the refrigerator until time to flatten to go on the grill.

I made some caramelized onions and I roasted some mushroom quarters, both seasoned with sprigs of fresh thyme & s&p ~ I have plans on making a flatbread with those two ingredients & mozzarella.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:

Jimmy, that video was from here in The Villages ~ the performer entertains at our Town Squares regularly (we have LOTS of entertainers who have that type of sound equipment and just enjoy performing for small groups).  She wanted to do her part to help her neighbors break the boredom.  Notice they came in their golf carts....

The song she performed is one that is very popular here, as is anything with a patriotic theme.  It's a great place for veterans to feel respected and loved.

That video, I never noticed the golf carts. What a lunk head I am.hahahahaha ..... The place ( homes ) are so beautiful there.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I was thinking the same thing Jimmy. Your Villages community is very pretty. I really like the architecture of the homes.

My nephew graduated from med school yesterday. He is now officially Dr. John Hoff. He and his fiance bought a home in Winter Park FLA. They start their residencies June 15. The house has been remodeled so there is no work on the inside that needs to be done. A gate needs to be put up and some landscaping needs to be done. They are going to do the gate right away so their dogs can't run loose. The rest of it will come slowly because they simply won't have the time or energy to do anything. I was just thinking that we now have 6 MD's in the family. If my father and cousin were still alive it would be 8.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I was thinking the same thing Jimmy. Your Villages community is very pretty. I really like the architecture of the homes.

My nephew graduated from med school yesterday. He is now officially Dr. John Hoff. He and his fiance bought a home in Winter Park FLA. They start their residencies June 15. The house has been remodeled so there is no work on the inside that needs to be done. A gate needs to be put up and some landscaping needs to be done. They are going to do the gate right away so their dogs can't run loose. The rest of it will come slowly because they simply won't have the time or energy to do anything. I was just thinking that we now have 6 MD's in the family. If my father and cousin were still alive it would be 8.

Congratulations Debbie! God bless them!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
That video, I never noticed the golf carts. What a lunk head I am.hahahahaha ..... The place ( homes ) are so beautiful there.

It really is a lovely community ~ unless you don't like 'cookie-cutter' homes. EVERY home in my courtyard villa neighborhood is identical, every one with the same basic color, design, entrance & garage. Takes the problem of deciding on a color or roof ~ everything matches the guy next door!

And what's interesting is the developer planned the houses in each neighborhood to be close in size/cost so there's not a huge difference when there are resales. From the villas that have sold in the last year we know approximately what our house is worth ~ and the value seems to increase every year. Hopefully that trend will just continue for years in the future.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

It really is a lovely community ~ unless you don't like 'cookie-cutter' homes.  EVERY home in my courtyard villa neighborhood is identical, every one with the same basic color, design, entrance & garage.  Takes the problem of deciding on a color or roof ~ everything matches the guy next door!

And what's interesting is the developer planned the houses in each neighborhood to be close in size/cost so there's not a huge difference when there are resales.  From the villas that have sold in the last year we know approximately what our house is worth ~ and the value seems to increase every year.  Hopefully that trend will just continue for years in the future.

Oh, it is a nice development. Like here. We live in a development called Kenwood. All homes basic and mixed bi-level, ranch, or colonial.
Are you locked into a house color, and or selection from only 4 or 5 colors??
Are you allowed to add on or remodel without their permission?

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Oh, it is a nice development. Like here. We live in a development called Kenwood. All homes basic and mixed bi-level, ranch, or colonial.
Are you locked into a house color, and or selection from only 4 or 5 colors??
Are you allowed to add on or remodel without their permission?

We have a choice of 2 base colors for the house, 3 choices for the trim. Absolutely no changes to the outside structure ~ not even adding additional concrete to widen your driveway, although pavers are usually approved (because they can be removed if needed). If anyone wants to add awnings to shield from the hot sun they have to submit plans for approval or they can be made to remove.

Like I said, it's not for everyone. But we don't have a problem ~ other than the fact that Dane won't put up a clothesline for me in the enclosed courtyard (where no one could see it). I just think he doesn't WANT to do it for me....LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's so much fun to invite friends who don't care to cook for something as simple as grilled pizza and salad. They treat you as if you're Julia Child's niece! Hahahahahaha

Andrea's dough recipe is so easy and comes out so nice every time ~ I should make it more often but once in a while keeps it 'special'. I cook one side of the dough on the grill (on non-stick foil) and then bring it in and turn it over and the seared side is what is used to put the sauce/toppings on. That way it's always cooked all the way through and it's not soggy. Everyone builds their own with whatever they want and they go back on the grill for about 3 - 4 minutes to melt the cheese. The toppings are all cooked (except the thin sliced raw onion). I usually have sliced moz, shredded moz and 'fresh' moz. They all act differently on pizza.

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 04_28_11

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 04_28_12

April 2020 Is the world playing an April Fools' Joke on us all? - Page 13 04_28_13

Bugster2

Bugster2

I wish I could make a pizza on the grill like yours Beth. I tried it once and they burned almost immeditely.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum