Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have the plastic KA grinder but I bought mine in the 80's and it is still going strong except the blade is probably a bit dull. They don't make things like they used to.

Katie has a concussion but the hospital said she would be able to to do the 3 hour drive home. When she falls, she doesn't put out her hands or arms to break her fall. She always does a faceplant. Apparently one of the workers was moving a barrier while the crowd was coming out and swung it around so it tripped Katie. It wouldn't surprise me if she didn't hire a lawyer.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Chicken meatballs marsala over noodles tonight.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Tonight I'm making spaghetti, too ~ but mine is going to be spaghetti squash with a chicken cutlet covered in mozzarella, like a chicken parm without the breading ~ just a thin cutlet pan fried, topped with a little marinara and then the cheese melted all over.

Would you believe I'd never had Chicken Parmesan until recently? I bought Brian a few of them made by our local grocery, as I figured he could have one of those when I was hurting too much to make dinner. They were made with a pretty big chicken breast but it wasn't too thick -- and believe it or not, they really were good. They came in separate containers with lots of thick sauce and fresh mozzarella on top -- I couldn't believe how good they were. Brian, who'd had the dish many many times, said they were good too!

So I'm going to make Chicken Parmesan tomorrow as I found a "quickie" recipe to use which is what I'm looking for lately -- good but doesn't take all day as I'm just not up to it with everything I'm doing around here and looking after Brian too!

You may remember that neither Brian nor I like ANY of the jarred marinara sauce you can buy at the grocery. We've tried many brands and didn't like ANY of them; most we threw away after heating them. But I saw a taste test on America's Test Kitchen recently and Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce won -- they said it was about $9.39 for a 24-oz. jar but I found it at Walmart (still getting delivery from them to help us out) for $6.28 so I ordered a jar. The marinara that came in second was a brand called Victoria Fine Foods Premium Marinara Sauce, also kind of pricey. I found the brand at Walmart as well ($3.48 for 24-oz. jar though ATK said it was $6.99 a jar)) but they had Victoria Pasta Sauce Slow Cooked Tomato Basil and Victoria Marinara Sauce Old World Style, same price, so I got a jar of each of those. I THINK we might like all three as the first ingredient in each is tomatoes -- go figure!

They tested 10 jarred pasta sauces and focused on sauces labeled as marinara, traditional, or tomato basil and eliminated any containing wine, cheese, vegetables, meat, or cream. The reason I think we may like at least one of those is because they found half the sauces were “borderline inedible” -- their words not mine but that's pretty much how we felt about all that we tried. They said they were cloying like bad barbecue sauce, inundated with “pine-flavored” herbs reminiscent of “air freshener,” or had a mealy, wet texture like “baby food"!

They zeroed in on the first culprit, which was SUGAR! I never put sugar in any sauce with tomatoes, whether canned or fresh, so that might be what we don't like about most of them. Most of the sauces they tasted contained added sugar or corn syrup, for a total of 5 to 11 grams of sugar (including those naturally occurring in the fruit) per 1/2 cup of sauce -- that's A LOT!! We found the 5 or 6 we tried were sickly sweet, more like ketchup's flavor than tomato sauce. Rao's and Victoria that I just bought have NO added sugars and only a little bit of naturally occurring sugar so we're hoping for some tang and and real tomato flavor. The second problem with the bad marinaras was they were made with reconstituted tomato paste with some diced tomatoes thrown in for texture. Can't really make things taste good when you start with lousy ingredients, you know? First rule of cooking I ever learned!

I'll let you know how we like the sauces and how my virgin attempt at Chicken Parmesan comes out. If we like it except for the jarred sauce, then I'll try making it again with homemade marinara. I should probably just make a bunch of sauce and freeze it in small batches if I ever get the chance. Even though those sauces are kind of pricey, the convenience right now would really be worth it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I did a pan seared/finished in the oven pork tenderloin, garnished with some cinnamon red hot candied apples, fried zucchini/squash/onion and some Penzey seasoned green beans.

Those little pork tenderloins are about the easiest things to fix. It's one of those that come 2/package. When I find them on sale (and NOT with manufacturer seasoning ~ just plain) I pick them up and clean them of the silver skin and trim off the skinny or really fat ends. The end trimmings get cut into small pieces to use for sweet & sour pork, pork stir fry or stir fried rice and packaged / labeled for the freezer. The now neatly sized tenderloins get wrapped and weighed and stashed in freezer bags until needed.

After I thaw them I dry with paper towels and season with whatever catches my eye in the pantry. Tonight it was the Hungarian steak seasoning and salt. Then, a quick sear on all sides in a bit of oil in a little 8" cast iron skillet and then finished in a 375° oven for about 15 minutes. A 5-10 minute rest before getting sliced keeps the juices in the meat. It really is a forgiving meat ~ a little under or a little over cooked doesn't seem to affect it poorly.

And since I get at least 3 meals (plus leftovers a lot of times) it's really quite a good value.

Dane, of course, doesn't care for the fried apples ~ too sweet with my cinnamon red hots sprinkled on to give them flavor & color. Oh, well, all the more for ME!

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 09_28_10

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 09_28_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pork and Apples look good Beth.

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 P9v9fs10

Geoffrey is indeed a beautiful cat, Cindy -- I love his coloring and he looks so freaking soft! Mellow, too. My kind of cat!

Debbie, I'm so sorry you're going to have to put Noogie to sleep. It's one of the hardest but most loving things pet owners have to do. My sister loved animals dearly but she kept them alive way too long -- it used to make us feel really bad to go to her house as the poor cats (and sometimes a dog or two) looked so awful. I always found indoor cats seem to age better (and look better as they aged) than our indoor/outdoor cats did. I always thought they lived longer too, even if they were purebred kitties. The oldest cat we ever had was 14. Our beloved Fred made it to 13. My friend Jan from high school had a Siamese that lived to 20. I was stunned when I went to a party at her loft and saw Torrie -- she'd had him when we were in high school and I couldn't believe it was the same cat! Jan's an artist and there was a huge oil of Torrie on her wall that another artist friend of hers did -- it was really cool. Wish I had an oil of Fred....

I went over to our friend Pete's house yesterday to run an errand for Brian. He lives in half a double house that my BIL owns (my late sister's husband). Ed's law office is on the other side of the double and then their big house (was a triplex, now a double) is next to that house. There was a parking place available -- a real rarity since they're close to the Central Business District so people park on the street by their houses and either walk downtown or take the bus. But I pulled in and knocked on Ed's office door; his secretary Laura is always fun to see as she's worked for Ed more than 25 years. But anyway, he was in so I told him I wanted to go nextdoor and see his new kitchen. He re-did it this year and though he'd sent me photos, I'd never seen it in person. He did a good job -- as good as you can do for an alley kitchen but it was a vast improvement. Lots of cabinets, and way up high too with glass fronts and lights at the ones on the top. Black quartz countertop and much more counter space than before since he took out the double wall ovens. He now has a stove with a griddle top like Norm and I have -- and he loves his stove, too. He had a gas cooktop before but he reminded me yesterday it was almost 40 years old and the new stove has those powerful burners like newer stoves do -- he said the stove had much more powerful burners than he was used to. I told him how much he'd like that oblong burner when he has to reduce something in a large baking pan and he pointed out that his stove didn't have a place to set a pan down when his griddle is removed, which I thought was strange. I like having that across my whole stove (it's in 3 pieces but looks like one big piece) so I can now DRAG a heavy pot to another burner rather than lift it which comes in handy as I lose strength in my wrists and arms! I think it's Beth that says getting old is not for sissies!

The funny thing is normally when you went to Charlotte and Ed's house, the 6 or 8 or maybe 10 dogs they always had would run up, squeal and often jump all over you. I had to laugh yesterday and he and Pete laughed too. I saw 3 dogs, they were all sleeping, two on the sofa and one on another chair -- all they did was raise their heads, take a look and go back to sleep! I howled and said, "Wow, we're not the only ones getting old these days, huh?"

Crybaby

Crybaby

Looks good, Beth. We eat a lot of pork tenderloin too and we only eat the unflavored ones as well.

You know what's good? I slice them into about 1-1/4 inch thick pieces and then wrap each piece with a half slice of bacon that I've par-cooked in the microwave. You can put a piece of kitchen string around them but I usually use a toothpick turned sideways so it doesn't interfere with browning the top, bottom and sides with the bacon. Then brown them in a hot cast iron pan and finish cooking the bacon. I don't like pork overcooked so I use the Thermapen so they come out perfect, still pink and juicy. Neither Brian nor I eat as much as we used to anymore so I usually freeze the second tenderloin as well now. We used to make them both and just have leftovers but now we usually have leftovers form one tenderloin -- especially if I've made a couple of filling sides.

I usually make a pan sauce to serve with them. One of our favorites is that simple sauce with country-style mustard mixed with apricot preserves or peach preserves. I think I told you guys about a dried cherry port Sauce that I made with pork tenderloin recently -- it really came out good and Brian loved it. I usually buy some of those tart Montmorency cherries and they're so good to use in a sauce.

One thing good about pork tenderloin is there is absolutely no waste at all...

Crybaby

Crybaby

Debbie wrote:Noogie is a little better today - he wanted to eat. We are planning to put him down on Monday. I made sure that the vet emailed me a copy of his records and x-rays just in case he should crash tomorrow. We had this happen to a previous cat. The vet was closed on Sunday. Buster had crashed and we tried to have him put down at the emergency vet. Noway would they do it unless he had all of the tests done again. It was a horrible, heart-wrenching experience. We just didn't have another $800 to do it. So we sat up with him all night and got him in first thing in the morning. I never, ever want to go through that again.

Wow -- can't believe they wouldn't do that for you! What a shame you and the cat had to go through that!! No

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:WOO HOO !!!!

Michelle's posting pictures!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2453703928 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 3267860543 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2453703928 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 3267860543 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2453703928

I'm laughing as every time I look, a picture has either disappeared or changed! Glad you can see any of them at all, Beth. Thanks for making me laugh, too, as I need a good laugh more than anything!

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2599281016 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2599281016 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 2599281016

"Having a good laugh.....usually ends in a swift Kick in the pants. Remember that!"

So far no kick, Jimmy! But knowing my luck lately, I'm sure it's coming anytime now!

I'm unable to see lots of the photos you and Beth posted -- they're just not there. Just ran across one of my posts -- the one with the photo with the latkes -- and that photo wasn't there either. I checked using "edit" and then it popped up. I wonder if you guys are having problems seeing photos...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I see all the photos, but once in a while they won't load right away.
I guess it depends on the server capacity, and speed.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:We had a first meeting with our contractor to go over the house renovations we want to do. Dane is fine with everything but I'm still having qualms about giving up our cash. So, I'll sleep on it and when I get up in the morning I'll either be OK or I'll have an anxiety attack and start slashing item by item. Biggest problem is it's all the things I asked for.

Laughed, as I know exactly what you mean, Beth! I took out a home equity loan rather than pull the money out of our 401(k)s -- I can always pull the cash out if I decide to and pay off the loan but I didn't want to pay taxes on the money when I withdrew it. You waited long enough to sell your house to make the changes you want to make, so go ahead and do it, Beth. You can always take out a reverse mortgage years from now if you needed more cash so don't worry about it (though I do the exact same thing)!

I'm laughing as I even had a hard time deciding to apply for my Social Security now that I turned 66. Way back when (prior to pulmonary hypertension diagnosis, prior to being laid off years ago and prior to my back starting to fall apart), I'd planned to work until I was 70 and THEN collect the higher Social Security. When Brian retired at 66, I was only 59 so I figured I could work a lot longer and get more SS. But Brian put it plainly to me this month by saying, "Exactly how old do you think you're going to live to?" I cracked up but said yeah, I can pay off the home loan I took out all the quicker now that we'll have that extra income as well. We laughed about this the other night as he didn't know you could stop collecting SS, pay back what you took out (with no interest) and then collect it at a later age if you change your mind and want to wait until you will get more money! He thought I was teasing when I said I could always do that. We both laughed when I replied, "Good thing one of us reads up on things like this!" He didn't know until a couple years ago that you HAVE to start drawing a minimum on your 401(k) when you hit 70. Every household has a money person and I've always been that person. He always makes me laugh by saying he wouldn't have a quarter saved if it wasn't for me! We get a big laugh today at admitting that we never worry about outliving our savings anymore!!! At least we haven't stopped laughing...

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I see all the photos, but once in a while they won't load right away.
I guess it depends on the server capacity, and speed.

Me, too, Jimmy, but look how long I've been online now! Who knows what the heck is wrong but I'm glad you're all seeing them....

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:We had cap steak again. This time I cooked it sous vide first then finished it on the grill.  I made potato pancakes and Charlie requested mac n cheese.September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 20190917

Dinner looks delicious, Norm -- we just had latkes, too! I've just GOT to get some of those cap steaks. I forgot to ask my BIL while I was there yesterday to call me the next time he's going to Costco! I've never seen them anywhere else but I'm going to phone the meat dept. at both Whole Food and Trader Joe's and see if they sell them. I told Brian about them and he, like me, was drooling!

NormM

NormM

Someone I know says that the ribeye cap steaks are the ne plus ultra of steaks.  I have to agree.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I tried the Rao's marinara sauce. I thought it was awful. Sour. Joe wouldn't eat it either so the whole jar went down the drain.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I tried the Rao's marinara sauce. I thought it was awful. Sour. Joe wouldn't eat it either so the whole jar went down the drain.

That's $8 you won't get back again.....and that's why I stick with store brand sauce and only get it when it's on sale 10/$10. I'm such a cheapskate. I like to use the bottled stuff and then add to it. I start with a bottle of the store bought and end up with a full Dutch oven pot full.

242September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:38 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have tried doing that with other brands, but I am not good with it. It still tastes awful to me. Any hints as to what you do?

243September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:47 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I have tried doing that with other brands, but I am not good with it. It still tastes awful to me. Any hints as to what you do?

A bitter sauce? Don't add sugar. Add a pinch or two of Baking Soda.

That will cut the acid and neutralize the sauce. Only a little at the time.Stir, and after 5 minutes, re taste! Add more if necessary.
I do an 1/8th tsp. at the time.

244September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 10 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:06 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just keep adding stuff as I see it....never the same twice.

But I usually DO add vegetables.....onion, grated or finely minced, celery - minced, carrots - grated. Sometimes I'll add some dry herbs. Once in a while I'll add some fresh basil, like a whole stalk of it from the plant. After about 20 minutes I pull it all out because it's added all it's flavor and I don't like it to be left in the pot. I add homemade tomato sauce or juice if I have any. It really helps.

The carrot usually does a lot to 'sweeten' the pot. A lot of the time I'll start with all the veg and let it just simmer in some olive oil very slowly until it's all mush ~ then it just melts into the sauce with all the flavor but none of the texture.

And, like Jimmy, if I think the sauce is too strong or bitter I'll add just a smidge of baking soda.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Someone I know says that the ribeye cap steaks are the ne plus ultra of steaks.  I have to agree.

Now I'm drooling even more, Norm! Thanks for reminding me as I'm going to send Ed (my BIL) an email right now. Very Happy Very Happy

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Just got news that my sister had emergency surgery for an ovarian torsion. Don't know yet how she is doing. My BIL never talks to me, so I am not surprised. I doubt that he has said more than 5 words to me in 35 years.

I just have to ask: Do you talk to him? If not, try it and things might change. You could start with, "I know how scared I was when I heard about [your sister's name] surgery. YOU must've been our of your mind with worry, [his name]." He'll see it as an acknowledgment that you thought of HIM and things might start chilling out.

Hope you don't mind me butting in but when someone doesn't speak to me or look at me, it becomes a personal challenge to me to change that. Brian's laughed over the years at how I've gotten elderly grouchy people to start talking to me -- people who walked by our houses over the years, never acknowledging my LOUD "good morning" every time I saw them. I just pretended I didn't know they were ignoring me. After good morning got old after a couple of months, I'd add, "Wow, you look great in that color!" or "Your new hairstyle looks fantastic!"

This has worked for me my whole life, whether it's with strangers who should no longer be strangers, or co-workers in large offices I've worked for that appeared to be shockingly shy. Sometimes people would tell me I'm an idiot, saying something like, "Why are you so nice to her, Michelle, as she's a b*itch who ignores everyone!" I used to respond something like, "Oh, she's a challenge. I often wonder how she got so withdrawn," and sometimes, "I'm glad it just not ME who she ignores." But I'd often privately wonder if that person might have a problem we're not aware of, like Asperger Syndrome. I'm laughing as I probably sound like a complete nut but I often wonder about people who I see often but know nothing about -- ESPECIALLY if they seem to lack or don't display what I think of as regular societal participation and/or reactions. Brian used to marvel at how I could turn around people HE didn't greet anymore in the neighborhood and he'd laugh and tell me how he'd started doing it sometimes with people he passed in his building!

I'm not trying to hurt your feelings by suggesting this but figured I'd pose it as something you, like me might enjoy trying, Debbie. You seem like the type of person who wouldn't give up when challenged! Smile Laughing

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:There are not any Kroger stores around here but there are some stores that carry Goya products.

I've always noticed them here, Norm -- they're really superior products I've found over the years. But since Katrina, when our population of Mexican people increased a lot -- thank GOD as they literally rebuilt our city when it was "Africa hot," smelled like a cesspool and there was no decent place for people to stay while working so many of them slept in homes that were badly damaged and temporarily abandoned with no AC, bugs, no electricity, etc. -- this city would STILL be on its knees without that wonderful influx of Mexican workers and Mexican craftsmen! -- the groceries now carry so much more of what Hispanic people usually purchase, which has pleased everyone who loves to cook like me! I can now usually find fresh Poblano peppers and other fresh produce Hispanics use a lot of, different types of dried peppers (and they're the nicer kind, too, that are shiny and dried, not the kind that break up in your hands when you open the package!) -- all types of things! I always make it a point now to stop in the Hispanic area of the grocery when I'm there to take a look at what's new! And we have a bunch of "Ideal Markets" that are mind-boggling in what they carry -- for many different ethnic groups and ethnic foods! I wish all this had taken place when I was younger and didn't think twice about my back hurting or my energy giving out and I'd drive all over the place to get what I had a hankering for...

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper was eggplant rollatini. Frozen from the butcher; who gets it ???
It was good.

So funny you mentioned eggplant rollatini, Jimmy, as although I've never had it before. I had a big eggplant given to me by a woman in my neighborhood I've only known through the Nextdoor app, and I was trying to find easy recipes for her to use her eggplant. Someone had given her a ton of fresh veggies and we're both Leads for our neighborhood on Nextdoor so we've talked via direct messages, email and on the phone before. I think she was dying to meet me so I dropped by her house after running errands for Brian on Friday to pick up apples, eggplants and NINE avocados (luckily they're not ripe). As I got ready to drive off (she met me in front of her house so I guess she wasn't prepared for me to come inside, which I totally understood), she said, "Let me know what you do with the eggplant, okay?"

I'd given her my Roasted Eggplant Soup recipe but she said she didn't have all the ingredients. I ended up telling her verbally and in writing via email today how to make eggplant smothered with ground beef! But I perused that rollatini recipe and wondered how it tasted! When I finished telling her how to make smothered eggplant, she said, "You're going to turn me into a cook yet, Michelle," so I guess she's not known for her kitchen experise!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Katie ate a half of a bag of almonds and got sick. Apparently there is something called almond poisoning. Never knew that could happen. It's when you pig out on the nuts.

Laughed as I guess I needed to hear this. I've recently discovered Marcona almonds and fell in love with them immediately. I like regular almonds but these are Spanish almonds and they're really buttery! About a month ago, I ate a 17-oz. container of them in a week, with Brian and my housekeeper only eating a couple of handfuls. Amazon will be delivering more of them manana, and I found the same brand but in a different container than was a bit cheaper by the ounce!

If you've never tried them and like regular almonds, you owe it to yourself to try these babies:

https://smile.amazon.com/Kirkland-signature-Marcona-almonds-20-7/dp/B07RF97KT9/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=marcona+almonds&qid=1569776540&sr=8-6

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy wrote:ust finished baking 6 full size foil pans of sausage, peppers, and onions,
They are for the church event for the end of the summer. That was our donation for the event. 60 lbs of sausage / a 1/2 bushel of peppers, and 10 lbs of onions....

We cleaned and prepped the onions and peppers last night, and portioned the sausage that we had to cut the links from the bulk length; in amount for each pan.
Put in zip lock bags so at 6 am this morning, we filled the pans and in the ovens at 325F. 4 hours / done. They are in the car, on way to the church as I write this.

Wow -- How nice of the two of you, Jimmy. Love, love, love this mixture and I'll bet the ones coming out of your kitchen are phenomenal! I told Brian about this and he said, "Wow, does he have a picture?!" He also said how generous and remarkable you and Tina must be -- see how smart Brian is?!

Pleae tell Tina how impressed we were, Jimmy! cheers cheers cheers

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum