Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan?

+3
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Don't stop now!  

I decided to ask Jeanie, Jim & Darlene over for grilled pizza tomorrow.  Andrea gave me her pizza dough recipe and I've made it a number of times ~ comes out perfect every time.  ((Of course, if it's going to fail or if I screw it up, it'll be because I've invited friends over.....))

Pizza Dough ~ Andrea’s
1c. plus 2T. water (105-110 degrees)
2 1/4 t. yeast (one envelope)
3 c. flour
4t. sugar
2t. salt
2T. olive oil
oregano and basil (optional)

Combine warm water and yeast.

Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a mixing bowl.  Add herbs.  Start mixer on low and add olive oil.  Pour in yeast/water.  Mix on low until combined, then mix medium-medium low for 3 minutes.

Let rise, covered, in a bowl coated with olive oil, until doubled.  At this point it can be punched down, recovered, and placed in to the refrigerator to be used the next day.  Otherwise, let rise a 2nd time for 45 - 60 min.

AP flour:  chewier dough
bread flour:  softer dough

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 09_25_11

Easy, EASY to mix with my Kitchen Aid stand mixer and dough hook. I put it in an oiled bowl, covered with plastic wrap and sat it outside in 87° weather (in the shade) for about an hour until it was doubled in size.

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 09_25_10

I punched down the dough, divided into equal sized pieces and formed into balls ~ on to an oiled sheet pan and covered with plastic in the refrigerator until tomorrow.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:WOO HOO !!!!

Michelle's posting pictures!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2453703928 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 3267860543 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2453703928 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 3267860543 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2453703928

I'm laughing as every time I look, a picture has either disappeared or changed! Glad you can see any of them at all, Beth. Thanks for making me laugh, too, as I need a good laugh more than anything!

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2599281016 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2599281016 September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 2599281016

"Having a good laugh.....usually ends in a swift Kick in the pants. Remember that!"

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight was fairly easy ~ grilled burgers, leftover reheated German Potato Salad and some doctored up Bush's Beans.

We had a first meeting with our contractor to go over the house renovations we want to do.  Dane is fine with everything but I'm still having qualms about giving up our cash.  So, I'll sleep on it and when I get up in the morning I'll either be OK or I'll have an anxiety attack and start slashing item by item.  Biggest problem is it's all the things I asked for.  

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 09_25_13

NormM

NormM

We had cap steak again. This time I cooked it sous vide first then finished it on the grill.  I made potato pancakes and Charlie requested mac n cheese.September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 20190917

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beef Stew tonight. I had a piece of haddock fillet broiled with tomato's.
It was supposed to be lunch, but Tina forgot it was there on the counter.

206September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:We had cap steak again. This time I cooked it sous vide first then finished it on the grill.  I made potato pancakes and Charlie requested mac n cheese.

YUM! Looks great, Norm. I'll bet the steak was cooked to perfection.

My daughter does sous vide and loves it. I'm just not going to add another piece of something that I don't use all the time.

But, rest assured, when I'm at HER house for a visit I'll get to play with it!

207September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Beef Stew tonight.  I had a piece of haddock fillet broiled with tomato's.
It was supposed to be lunch, but Tina forgot it was there on the counter.

At least you got it on the same day.....I've had something thawed in the refrigerator before and forgot about it for days ~ even to the point of having to toss it.

So, better late than never!

NormM

NormM

Yes, Beth, It was perfectly cooked but somehow 'perfectly cooked' somehow isn't perfectly delicious. I think the differences in a steak cooked in the regular way some how make it tasted better. Perhaps if I experiment more, I'll get a result that I like better.  It may take a lot of experimenting though. Oh well.September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 1223290054

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am not convinced that sous vide is up to all the hype. I have never used one, but it just seems that steak needs a good char. I can see it used for certain things that may get tough, like chicken, but IDK. My nephew took an online cooking course and swears by it.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The sous vide cooks the interior of the steak to a 'constant' temperature you decide. At that point you either sear in cast iron or on a hot grill to give the outside the caramelization we all love. My daughter loves hers and is pretty darn good at getting perfect results, as is Norm.

Since you and I have never played with one we would probably mess it up. But that's because neither one of us would probably read the directions...... LOL

The closest I've come to a similar method is when I did a thick steak with a reverse sear ~ put in a cold oven at 250° until it came to my desired internal temperature, very low and slow. Then I did a one minute sear on each side (and a tiny bit on the edges) in a screaming hot cast iron skillet I heated on the stove and then put on a hot grill outside. But all that was a lot of messing around for me so I just went back to my usual method of a hot sear and then into an oven to finish.

If I had more storage space that was easy to get to I'd probably get one to play with.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie is going to be gone until Saturday. A welcome relief, but we still have to take care of her whiny dogs. I almost had a showdown with her the other night. It was midnight and I heard her banging around her room and then she comes out with part of an old waitressing uniform. She was very upset because the skirt was missing. She didn't come out and actually accuse me of taking it, but her tone implied it. I made a few suggestions as to where it could be. Eventually she found the skirt and came out and apologized to me. I bit my tongue and temper. I am not used to having my honesty and integrity questioned. I am a lot of things, but a thief isn't one of them. What the hell would I want with a skirt to an old uniform? If I was going to steal anything it would be one of her old Playboy Bunny outfits which go for big bucks. Joe said if she does that to me again to let her have it with both barrels.

I made meatloaf last night with potatoes au gratin and corn. It was nice to have a hot meal again.

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:The sous vide cooks the interior of the steak to a 'constant' temperature you decide.  At that point you either sear in cast iron or on a hot grill to give the outside the caramelization we all love.  My daughter loves hers and is pretty darn good at getting perfect results, as is Norm.  

Since you and I have never played with one we would probably mess it up.  But that's because neither one of us would probably read the directions......  LOL

The closest I've come to a similar method is when I did a thick steak with a reverse sear ~ put in a cold oven at 250° until it came to my desired internal temperature, very low and slow.  Then I did a one minute sear on each side (and a tiny bit on the edges) in a screaming hot cast iron skillet I heated on the stove and then put on a hot grill outside.  But all that was a lot of messing around for me so I just went back to my usual method of a hot sear and then into an oven to finish.

If I had more storage space that was easy to get to I'd probably get one to play with.

I have done the same thing with a prime rib roast. CI has a method that cooks the roast at a very low temp so it is evenly pink from outside in. I forget the directions but somewhere there is a sear.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

I have done the same thing with a prime rib roast. CI has a method that cooks the roast at a very low temp so it is evenly pink from outside in. I forget the directions but somewhere there is a sear.

Yup ~ you finish in a 500° oven or hot broil.

It's all science. The only one that really scared me was the $175 Prime Rib I was in charge of cooking for Christmas for 10 people. Lyn & I discussed cooking it with the method of seasoning, bringing to room temperature, roasting in a 500° oven for so many minutes per pound (I don't remember the exact timing) and then turning the oven off, NOT opening the oven door at all for 2 or 3 hours. When it came out of the oven you didn't have to let it 'rest'....it was ready to slice and serve.

I have to say, it DID come out perfectly medium rare but I was scared to death I was going to be the one to screw up Christmas dinner for everyone.

Ever since, I've gone back to a hot searing oven, lower the temp to 325° and testing the internal temperature after a few hours. And then letting it rest for a good 30 minutes or more.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've got the pizza dough ready to pre-bake on the grill.  I'll cook it on one side & turn it over just to seal the uncooked side.  Then I'll have everyone put on their toppings and back to the grill to brown up the bottom & melt the cheese & reheat the toppings.

I told Dane if it's a mess I'll order from Papa John's Pizza and have them deliver.

We're just having pizza & salad ~ but I think everyone will enjoy themselves.September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 09_26_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

The pizzas came out really good.  I cooked one side, as planned, and turned them over so everyone could add their sauce and toppings and cheese.  Then, back on to the gas grill (with the lid down) and they baked and got browned on the bottom and the cheese melted.

And I was SO frazzled and hot from standing by the hot grill that I forgot to take pictures.  But, trust me, everyone enjoyed their own special pizza.....they had just what they wanted on it.  I made a simple tossed salad with iceburg lettuce (because that's what Jim likes) and carrots, celery & cucumber.  I was going to make a homemade lemon dressing but I know Jim & Jeanie both like creamy dressings, and a lot of it.  So, all the bottled dressing in my refrigerator were put on the table turntable and the choices were there.  Tonight I was surprised Jim opted for just a splash of aged balsamic vinegar.  And Darlene is easy....she eats anything!

So it was a fun evening and we'll do it again.  Next time I think I'm going to do spiral cut hotdogs at Jim's patio (it's HUGE) and we'll have a pot luck.  He likes to grill burgers & dogs so he'll enjoy that.

All three of them have lost their spouse so none of them cook much, if at all.  That's why it's so much fun to cook for them.  They all appreciate something simple and the company.  So we'll definately do it again soon.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane is at his sister's today so it's a 'no-cook' day.

I woke up early this morning and I've felt like I wanted to take a nap all afternoon ~ but of course, when you WANT to, you CAN'T fall asleep. Oh, well, at least I figure when bedtime comes I'll have no trouble dropping into dreamland.

217September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had the Shepherds Pie tonight. It was good, but a little on the salty side.
Tina made it..... here is a pic I took of it. Nice peaks of potatoes ( mashed dolloped on top ) Mozzarella and cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.....

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Img_1610

218September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:47 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had the Shepherds Pie tonight. It was good, but a little on the salty side.
Tina made it..... here is a pic I took of it. Nice peaks of potatoes ( mashed dolloped on top ) Mozzarella and cheddar cheese sprinkled on top.....

Jimmy, what does she put in her Shepherd's Pie? When I make it I often have trouble because the liquid from below bubbles up and turns the potato topping into mushy soup....

219September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 Empty Re: September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:55 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had the Shepherds Pie tonight. It was good, but a little on the salty side.

Jimmy, what does she put in her Shepherd's Pie?  When I make it I often have trouble because the liquid from below bubbles up and turns the potato topping into mushy soup....

Beth, she browns the ground beef with the onions; then adds Beef broth, and thickens that with a flour and oil with Beevy mix, and adds it till it thickens. Then she mixes in a can of corn / drained / no liquid.
It all then goes into the baking pan. She  Adds dollops of  mashed potatoes ( Bob Evans brand ) all over the top with a teaspoon.
Then the cheese. She used Mozzarella this time. Bakes uncovered at 350F for around 30 minutes till it top browns.
Hope this can help. The clue I think, is the thickening like a gravy with the rue.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Katie went to a Rod Stewart concert at the Hollywood Bowl last night. As she was leaving, workers were moving some barricades. Somehow she tripped on one as it was being moved and fell. She said she was ok and she and her friend continued walking to their car. Then she passed out and hit the ground with her head. She was taken to the hospital. We have no idea what is going on with her because no one is returning our texts. Joe thinks that she had one of her narcolepsy events, was taken to the hospital, and checked out and released. Probably took all night and everyone is back at home sleeping. I hope he is right.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Katie went to a Rod Stewart concert at the Hollywood Bowl last night. As she was leaving, workers were moving some barricades. Somehow she tripped on one as it was being moved and fell. She said she was ok and she and her friend continued walking to their car. Then she passed out and hit the ground with her head. She was taken to the hospital. We have no idea what is going on with her because no one is returning our texts. Joe thinks that she had one of her narcolepsy events, was taken to the hospital, and checked out and released. Probably took all night and everyone is back at home sleeping. I hope he is right.

OH Dear Lord! Hope all is well there.
Poor kid. No

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Tonight I called a neighbor, Darlene, and told her I was making Sweet & Sour Pork and asked if she'd like to join us.  So, the three of us enjoyed a 'Blast-From-The-Past', 1960's Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook Sweet & Sour Pork, with my tweeks through the years (adding carrots, onions & celery).  Served it over Basmati rice and everyone had seconds.  So it must have been something that hit the spot for all of us.

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 09_16_10

I'm sure you remember my telling you that Brian liked that AWFUL orange Sweet & Sour Pork that Chinese restaurants used to sell (some still make it like that!). I'd never order it when ordering takeout 'cause I found it ghastly. tongue

You told me a couple of years ago how you made it from that recipe you doctored up and now I make it for him every so often -- I even like it, too. I think it's the pineapple that really makes it taste authentic but not with that orange sticky GOOPY sauce. I usually add water chestnuts I've sliced up and sometimes add baby corn, too, even though he ignores the corn. If I have a small can of bamboo shoots, I add that too. And bean sprouts put it over the top -- we both like those whether canned or fresh.

I recently picked up a bag of frozen Asian vegetables -- they called it "stir fry vegetables" so I'm going to see how it is with a half a bag of those, too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:That reminds me, when I did the A/C and Ventilation in the Movie Theaters, it was purposely done so that the Exhaust for the Popcorn machines, was pumped into the theater ; so the people would get hungry for popcorn. September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 3267860543  

I worked for a law firm that finally banned people from making microwave popcorn in the kitchen as some lawyers would b*tch about the pervasive smell. Some people would still make it but run out of the back room of the kitchen the SECOND it was done before this partner would come running to see who was doing it. He had retired as a Lieutenant in the police department prior to going to law school so I guess he felt obliged to be the "enforcer." His name was Claude and when people saw him heading toward the kitchen, they'd holler out, "Watch out! Here comes the Odor Patrol! " bom affraid

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Chuck Love from the other place said a good blend of beef for hamburger was 50% chuck, 25% brisket and 25% short rib.

I saw burgers real close to this at our local store, Rouses, maybe six months ago, Norm. They make specialty burgers occasionally and they end up costing about $5 each for about a 6-oz. burger, which to me is the perfect size, as 8 oz. is just a big too big for me. Boy were they good! I'd KILL to taste those ones you made from the ribeyes!

They regularly make ground sirloin, cheddar cheese, bacon and jalapeno burgers that are delicious -- they grind everything up so it's all contained in the burger mix and we both really like them. Last time I got them, he couldn't finish his as the jalapenos were burning his mouth, which is really sensitive since he started chemo. I felt bad for him (but enjoyed eating it the next day).

I bought the grinder attachment for my KitchenAid mixer last year -- the stainless steel one, not the plastic one everyone complains about that breaks so quickly. I really got it to grind up jalapenos for pepper jelly but I told Brian the next time I bought a whole brisket, I would cut off the flat and keep it in the freezer until I could find short ribs for less than $8 to $10 a pound -- then I would make some "private grind" burgers for us and then we could have a stash of them in the freezer! There's something special about a hamburger, too, that's made with freshly ground beef -- yum!

September, 2019 ~ What's your meal plan? - Page 9 512660330

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum