Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper?

+3
Crybaby
NormM
bethk
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 11]

NormM

NormM

Dinner was a one dish pasta with bacon, chicken, cheese and Ranch dressing mix.OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 20181021

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dinner was a one dish pasta with bacon, chicken, cheese and Ranch dressing mix.OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 20181021
Looks good Norm. I like pasta with different sauces other than tomatoes.....   In my opinion, I never get full eating white or cheese sauces on pasta. Tomato on pasta is more filling.

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy. I am not as big a fan of tomato sauce as I used to be. On pizza, I put very little.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had chicken soup and crackers for supper. Tina had cod fish.
Here I am, tethered to a 50 foot oxygen supply.
I went to the pulmonary Dr. today, and she said, she doesn't know how they released me from the hospital, without oxygen.

My % O2 was as low as 70% just walking 16 paces to the bathroom from the kitchen.... I was gasping for air.
Well, I got my oxygen and a concentrator machine to extract O2 from the room air. I have a tank for emergency supply in case of power loss. That is about 14 to 15 hours till power is restored or generator power is on line.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 Img_1213

Niagara Visitor

Dinner for me last night was some amazing grilled octopus and a small village salad.  Yup, a wonderful Greek restaurant...... well, the music could have been better, I swear it felt like the needle was stuck  on an old 45!  

The octopus was just an appetizer, so I ordered two.  Yummy!

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just found out I have been using my box cheese grater all wrong. I use it standing up and the cheese collects in the center. Wrong way. It is supposed to be used on its' side.

Enchiladas tonight for Joe and Katie. I will prolly have eggs.

Joe is mad at me. Yesterday I got a new salt and pepper set with a holder. It was standard diner style shakers - clear glass with chrome tops. One shaker is for our white salt, the other shaker is for Katie's pink salt. Joe really liked the set and immediately picked up one shaker and took a bright pink marking pen and colored a pink bad around the top. I said "What the hell are you doing?" He immediately goes on the defensive, angry at me for getting angry at him. I told him to get the stuff off NOW! What the heck was he thinking? You can see right through the bottle which has pink salt. Well, I am on his $hit list because I was in the wrong. Typical of him.

Katie and I went and saw "A Star is Born". First time I have been to the movies in years. I find the seats to be torture racks. This theater seats were wider and had high backs. Much more comfortable. My legs and feet were cold though. We found ot that Tuesdays are senior citizen days and the tickets were only $6.50. If we download an app for the theater, popcorn will be 50% off. It also had wine which Katie liked. We will go back soon.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Michelle, I've done a spatchcocked turkey on the grill before.  If I remember correctly (it was a long time ago) I put it in one of the disposable foil pans on indirect heat for quite a while but did the crisping of the skin over the heat.  

It didn't require much in the way of tending.....just cooked away and left my oven in the house open to bake everything else.

We went one year with just a smoked turkey for Thanksgiving and I didn't cook one inside -- never again! I don't mind if we do a smoked turkey AND a turkey roasted in the oven but I HAVE to cook one in the oven or it's just not Thanksgiving to me. I missed not only smelling the turkey while it cooked -- and driving everyone else crazy too -- but I also missed basting it and fiddling with it out while it cooked. I love getting it to the perfect color and then tenting it so it stays the perfect color!

I really liked the idea of spatchcocking the turkey and cooking it inside -- especially splayed out over an upside-down V-rack. We love spatchcocked chicken so I just know we'd like turkey that way. But I just wouldn't do it that way for Thanksgiving.

Speaking of Thanksgiving, Brian's friend Jimmy who still lives near the Cape asked if he could come visit for Thanksgiving this year so we tentatively planned for him coming. But it turned out Jimmy has to take an exam that week in regard to renewing/updating his broker's license that he let lapse when the real estate market hit the skids about 10 years ago. Brian told him it'd be okay if he came for Christmas instead. Brian howled laughing 'cause Jimmy said his ex-wife would be coming to town at Christmas and coming here would be the perfect excuse to get him out of spending all day with her at their son's house! Then he asked if I still made a standing rib roast with "that sauce I could drink" and Brian laughed and said yes. He said Christmas was definitely sounding better and better!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Thanks Jimmy.  I am not as big a fan of tomato sauce as I used to be.  On pizza, I put very little.

But boy, when you're in the mood for some tomato sauce, nothing else will do!

Norm, your recent mussels and shrimp dinner sure looked good. I'm planning on making something with seafood while Brian's friend Jimmy visits for Christmas. Jimmy's like me -- he eats just about anything you put in front of him, vegetables included.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had chicken soup and crackers for supper. Tina had cod fish.
I went to the pulmonary Dr. today, and she said, she doesn't know how they released me from the hospital, without oxygen.

My % O2 was as low as 70% just walking 16 paces to the bathroom from the kitchen.... I was gasping for air.
Well, I got my oxygen and a concentrator machine to extract O2 from the room air. I have a tank for emergency supply in case of power loss. That is about 14 to 15 hours till power is restored or generator power is on line.

So sorry to hear that but hopefully, your COPD will improve as the rest of you gets better and you won't need the oxygen anymore. I'm supposed to use oxygen at night (that big thing sits on the other side of my bedside table) but I haven't for over a year. Like some PH patients, the oxygen in my blood falls at night. I used it for about 9 months and then couldn't stand it anymore. I even asked my doctor to test it again overnight to see if I still needed it. I did. I was honest with her that I'm not using it anymore which she's not thrilled about. When I was first on oxygen, we were just about to get the whole house generator so I refused the backup tank. Brian laughed as I told the oxygen man I didn't need THAT lugged into the house and how glad I was the woman next door, who I call "Mrs. Kravitz," wouldn't see it coming in! She's a nice enough person, just asks too many questions that to me are personal in nature.

Hang in there, Jimmy. You look better than I did with that canula stuck in your nose! You look a lot thinner, too. I don't recommend the "diet" of emergencies that got you there but you're looking better than you did in that hospital bed! I'm sure it's wonderful to be home, too. So glad you're back home and back here. sunny sunny

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Katie and I went and saw "A Star is Born". First time I have been to the movies in years. I find the seats to be torture racks. This theater seats were wider and had high backs. Much more comfortable. My legs and feet were cold though. We found ot that Tuesdays are senior citizen days and the tickets were only $6.50. If we download an app for the theater, popcorn will be 50% off. It also had wine which Katie liked. We will go back soon.

Those theater-seat movie theaters are really great as far as comfortable chairs go -- and I like how each row of seats is a bit higher than the row in front of it so your view doesn't have as much chance to be blocked by the person sitting in front of you.

How'd you like the movie? I haven't seen it but all the music sung by Lady Gaga on the ads sounds really wonderful. I haven't read any reviews yet either.

We, too, haven't been to the theater to see a movie in years, though we often talk about going for the occasional movie we want to see. I think they have senior citizens day once a week here, too. Plus the other viewers seem to be more polite and actually there to see the movie if you go in the afternoon rather than in the evening...

Crybaby

Crybaby

The potatoes in the pictures of this recipe looked soooo good that I thought Brian might enjoy them if I cooked them like this. The November/December Cook's Illustrated had a recipe for this totally made in the oven with a larger roast that served 8 to 10 but online, they had another recipe like it using a smaller roast in a skillet that serves 4 to 6 so I copied that one.  I put CI's blurb, too, after the title because it's what they did in a nutshell to make such wonderful potatoes...

Skillet Beef Top Loin Roast with Potatoes
Serves 4 to 6. Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, November 2018
Total Time: 2¼ hours, plus 6 to 24 hours salting

To create a juicy, tender roast and creamy, beefy-tasting potatoes, we started with a top loin roast and trimmed the thick ribbons of fat that run along its sides. Browning the trimmings along with the roast yielded loads of rendered fat (and flavorful fond), which we then used to brown the potatoes. From there, we covered the potatoes with aluminum foil, which trapped steam that helped them cook through and allowed us to roast the beef on top of them (poking holes in the foil let juices drip through). While the cooked roast rested, we flipped the potatoes cut side up; added broth that we fortified with flavor by simmering it with the seared beef scraps, herbs, seasonings, and gelatin for unctuous body; and braised them in a 500-degree oven—our version of the old-school French classic called fondant potatoes. Finally, we strained and defatted the remaining broth to serve as a jus alongside the meat and potatoes.

3 lb. boneless top loin roast (a/k/a strip roast)
4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon pepper, divided
3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes,* peeled
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2-1/2 cups beef broth
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 small sprig fresh rosemary
1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatin
2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed and peeled

*Use potatoes that are about 1-1/2 inches in diameter and at least 4 inches long. The browned surfaces of the potatoes are very delicate; take care when flipping the potatoes in step 7. To make flipping easier, flip two potatoes and remove them from the skillet to create space before flipping the rest.

1. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Place roast fat cap side down and trim off strip of meat that is loosely attached to thicker side of roast. Rotate roast 180 degrees and trim off strip of meat and fat from narrow side of roast. (After trimming, roast should be rectangular with roughly even thickness.) Cut trimmings into 1-inch pieces. Transfer trimmings to small bowl, wrap tightly in plastic wrap, and refrigerate.
2. Using sharp knife, cut slits 1/2-inch apart and 1/4-inch deep in crosshatch pattern in fat cap of roast. Sprinkle all sides of roast evenly with 1 Tablespoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 6 to 24 hours.
3. Adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Trim and discard 1/4 inch from end of each potato. Cut each potato in half crosswise. Toss potatoes with remaining 1 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper and set aside.
4. Place oil in 12-inch oven-safe skillet. Place roast, fat cap side down, in center of skillet and scatter trimmings around roast. Cook over medium heat, stirring trimmings frequently but not moving roast, until fat cap is well browned, 6 to 10 minutes. Flip roast and continue to cook, stirring trimmings frequently, until bottom of roast is lightly browned and trimmings are rendered and crisp, 3 to 6 minutes longer. Remove skillet from heat and transfer roast to plate. Using slotted spoon, transfer trimmings to small saucepan, leaving fat in skillet.
5. Arrange potatoes in single layer, broad side down, in skillet. Return skillet to medium heat and cook, without moving potatoes, until well browned around edges, 5 to 8 minutes. (Do not flip potatoes.) Off heat, lay 12-inch square of aluminum foil over potatoes. Using oven mitts, crimp edges of foil to rim of skillet. With paring knife, poke 5 holes in center of foil. Lay roast, fat side up, in center of foil. Transfer skillet to oven and cook until meat registers 115°F, 45 to 55 minutes.
6. While roast cooks, add broth, thyme sprigs, rosemary sprig, gelatin, and garlic to saucepan with trimmings. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Strain liquid through fine-mesh strainer into 2-cup liquid measuring cup, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible; discard solids. (You should have 2 cups liquid; if necessary, add water to equal 2 cups.)
7. When meat registers 115°F, remove skillet from oven and increase oven temperature to 500°F. Transfer roast to carving board. Remove foil and use to tent roast. Using offset spatula, carefully flip potatoes. Pour strained liquid around potatoes and return skillet (handle will be hot) to oven (it's OK if oven has not yet reached 500°F). Cook until liquid is reduced by half, 15 to 20 minutes.
8. Carefully transfer potatoes to serving platter. Pour liquid into fat separator and let settle for 5 minutes. Slice roast and transfer to platter with potatoes. Transfer defatted juices to small bowl. Serve, passing juices separately.

Here's a picture of the potatoes that made we want to try this method.

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 Bp15

Crybaby

Crybaby

In this month's Cook's Illustrated, there's an article entitled "Game-Changing Turkey Gravy," which was about their attempt to make a great tasting gravy, and a gravy that could be made totally in advance, didn't require drippings and a variation that could accommodate dietary restrictions. It was a recipe I copied ("Our Favorite Turkey Gravy"), as it would not only be useful if making gravy when smoking a turkey, but I love learning a new way of doing things. And of course, you can add drippings to the recipe if you have them. If any of you want the whole turkey gravy recipe for your files, just let me know and I will post it.

But what REALLY fascinated me was a sidebar they had about how to build gravy with better flavor in an entirely new way. It's not only easier to do than browning the neck and giblets prior to using, which is what I always do, but online they encouraged one to use boxed chicken broth rather than homemade turkey stock in their gravy recipe. A man asked this question and they said although the homemade turkey stock would probably make great gravy, "it may be thick and sticky/tacky gravy due to the excess gelatin and require thinning," so they go with the store-bought broth and save the homemade stock for a recipe where it can really shine.

Anyway, the concept they wrote about was really fascinating as were the pictures of the insides of a LeCruset Dutch oven with a white bottom: the pot where the giblet mixture was simmered rather than seared had an unbelievable coating of dark brown fond. I'm definitely going to try this the next time I make gravy.  READ BELOW:

How We Built Gravy with Better Flavor
Sidebar, November/December 2018 Cook's Illustrated

The rich turkey flavor in our gravy boils down to one critical component: fond, the flavor-packed brown bits and tacky layer of evaporated juices that form on the bottom of the pan when meat or vegetables are browned. The brown color is a sign that the proteins and sugars have undergone the Maillard reaction and transformed into hundreds of new flavor compounds that can add terrific savory depth when the fond is incorporated into a gravy or another sauce.

Most gravy recipes build fond by searing turkey parts such as the neck or giblets, but we came up with an approach that’s more effective. Instead of initially searing the parts, we simmer them (plus turkey fat and skin for extra flavor) in chicken broth until the liquid evaporates. Simmering actually extracts the juices and fat much more thoroughly than searing does. The proof is visible on the bottom of the pot: Once the liquid evaporates, the entire bottom of the vessel (we use a Dutch oven for maximum surface area) is coated with a gorgeous browned layer of fond.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:In this month's Cook's Illustrated, there's an article entitled "Game-Changing Turkey Gravy," which was about their attempt to make a great tasting gravy, and a gravy that could be made totally in advance, didn't require drippings and a variation that could accommodate dietary restrictions. It was a recipe I copied ("Our Favorite Turkey Gravy"), as it would not only be useful if making gravy when smoking a turkey, but I love learning a new way of doing things. And of course, you can add drippings to the recipe if you have them. If any of you want the whole turkey gravy recipe for your files, just let me know and I will post it.

But what REALLY fascinated me was a sidebar they had about how to build gravy with better flavor in an entirely new way. It's not only easier to do than browning the neck and giblets prior to using, which is what I always do, but online they encouraged one to use boxed chicken broth rather than homemade turkey stock in their gravy recipe. A man asked this question and they said although the homemade turkey stock would probably make great gravy, "it may be thick and sticky/tacky gravy due to the excess gelatin and require thinning," so they go with the store-bought broth and save the homemade stock for a recipe where it can really shine.

Anyway, the concept they wrote about was really fascinating as were the pictures of the insides of a LeCruset Dutch oven with a white bottom: the pot where the giblet mixture was simmered rather than seared had an unbelievable coating of dark brown fond. I'm definitely going to try this the next time I make gravy.  READ BELOW:

How We Built Gravy with Better Flavor
Sidebar, November/December 2018 Cook's Illustrated

The rich turkey flavor in our gravy boils down to one critical component: fond, the flavor-packed brown bits and tacky layer of evaporated juices that form on the bottom of the pan when meat or vegetables are browned. The brown color is a sign that the proteins and sugars have undergone the Maillard reaction and transformed into hundreds of new flavor compounds that can add terrific savory depth when the fond is incorporated into a gravy or another sauce.

Most gravy recipes build fond by searing turkey parts such as the neck or giblets, but we came up with an approach that’s more effective. Instead of initially searing the parts, we simmer them (plus turkey fat and skin for extra flavor) in chicken broth until the liquid evaporates. Simmering actually extracts the juices and fat much more thoroughly than searing does. The proof is visible on the bottom of the pot: Once the liquid evaporates, the entire bottom of the vessel (we use a Dutch oven for maximum surface area) is coated with a gorgeous browned layer of fond.

Great idea! I must try it. I had been making my gravy from the fond in the bottom of the pan for years until I discovered making the gravy from the leftover carcass and freezing the stock until I need it for the next turkey.

I made a chicken pot pie tonight but Joe didn't like it. New recipe.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had chicken soup and crackers for supper. Tina had cod fish.

So sorry to hear that but hopefully, your COPD will improve as the rest of you gets better and you won't need the oxygen anymore. I'm supposed to use oxygen at night (that big thing sits on the other side of my bedside table) but I haven't for over a year. Like some PH patients, the oxygen in my blood falls at night. I used it for about 9 months and then couldn't stand it anymore. I even asked my doctor to test it again overnight to see if I still needed it. I did. I was honest with her that I'm not using it anymore which she's not thrilled about. When I was first on oxygen, we were just about to get the whole house generator so I refused the backup tank. Brian laughed as I told the oxygen man I didn't need THAT lugged into the house and how glad I was the woman next door, who I call "Mrs. Kravitz," wouldn't see it coming in! She's a nice enough person, just asks too many questions that to me are personal in nature.

Hang in there, Jimmy. You look better than I did with that canula stuck in your nose! You look a lot thinner, too. I don't recommend the "diet" of emergencies that got you there but you're looking better than you did in that hospital bed! I'm sure it's wonderful to be home, too. So glad you're back home and back here. sunny sunny

Thanks Michelle. The Dr said, if I watch my diet, and lose more weight, and the new inhaler drug treatment heals or restores my lungs, I may not need oxygen later on. Hopefully.

The new inhaler cost $684.00 for 14 day supply. "W O W !"
The Dr gave me three samples free. We bought 1 at CVS to see how much I would have to pay. $50.00 Copay! Not bad, but some people have poor plans. How do they afford it?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, Dane gets all his COPD meds through the VA. all the inhalers and stuff is only $8/month. Were you 'boots on the ground'? Are you signed up for your benefits? Dane fought me for years about checking out his benefits.....when he finally started going he now acts like it was all his idea. But that's OK. He gets all his flu shots, shingles shots and pneumonia shots for free, too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, Dane gets all his COPD meds through the VA. all the inhalers and stuff is only $8/month.  Were you 'boots on the ground'?  Are you signed up for your benefits? Dane fought me for years about checking out his benefits.....when he finally started going he now acts like it was all his idea.  But that's OK.  He gets all his flu shots, shingles shots and pneumonia shots for free, too.

No boots on ground, but @$$ in water. ( Navy fleet then SeaBees )
I'm just like Dane ..... fighting Tina about signing up for benefits. For Years.
I get the shots free though; through my Union Benefits Plan.

bethk

bethk
Admin

If you are entitled to the benefits then you need to get registered and stop wasting Liam's inheritance on expensive meds when you can get them for $8 a month.....

NormM

NormM

Dinner was BBQ salmon, grilled peaches and Jaques Pepin smashed potatoes.

I can't get a picture to show. If you go to the link posted below, you can see it.

Niagara Visitor

Went to my sister's place for lunch today. Ate way too much so no dinner/supper.  Brother-in-law is from Trinidad and he cooked a specialty from there.  A chicken rice and lentil curry>  Yumm!  It's Erika's birthday, so instead of going out, he cooked.  I am new to eating curries, but learning to appreciate them.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:If you are entitled to the benefits then you need to get registered and stop wasting Liam's inheritance on expensive meds when you can get them for $8 a month.....

Your right Beth. I'll research it where the closest VA is from my house.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lunch was leftover cod fish and rice. Peaches for dessert.
Supper was ziti ( low carb ) and turkey meatballs.
Cheese made from almond milk, and melba toast crackers....

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
bethk wrote:If you are entitled to the benefits then you need to get registered and stop wasting Liam's inheritance on expensive meds when you can get them for $8 a month.....

Your right Beth. I'll research it where the closest VA  is from my house.

Jimmy, they might even mail them to you, too, especially if you're so many miles from a VA hospital/clinic. I've been bugging Brian to do the same thing. He doesn't get his care from the VA but considering how much he has to pay for some of his drugs, I keep telling him to give them a call. He's also a lifetime member of the DAV and they have the most knowledgeable people to about what veterans are entitled to and will share their info via phone, whether or not you're a member.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Lunch today was a roast beef sandwich, on 1/2 a pita pocket, with swiss cheese, and a little mayo spread thinly.
Supper, was 2 bowls of Italian wedding soup with turkey and cracker meal meatballs, plus chopped kale and romaine for the greens. I am so full; it was so good.
Dessert was a 1 inch square of chocolate cake.
I can have peaches and cottage cheese later for a snack.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Baloney sandwiches for dinner. Turkey baloney. It has no flavor. BLECH!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We got home from Hilton Head this afternoon, ended up going out for a sandwich at a Greek place on the square (just took the golf cart....).  Dane had a gyro and fries and I had chicken slovakia (sp?), grilled chicken with lettuce,tomato & onion on pita bread ~ and I asked to have them add some of their basalmic glaze (which is changing their recipe completely!).  Then I empty the pita and just eat the chicken & little salad and tear off chunks of the pita to eat with it.  I'm not a big sandwich fan so I like to re-create my meal.

I do have some pics from a lovely meal we had in Hilton:

Bill had a HUGE wagu beef cheeseburger w/fries, Lyn got a lobster pasta w/pesto cream sauce, Dane had the whole fried snapper w/rice and green beans and I got a kale and roasted beet salad w/basalmic ~ topped with candied pecans, shrimp and fried mozarella.  Needless to say, everyone was happy (and full)!

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 10_20_10

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 10_20_11

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 10_20_12

OCTOBER, 2018 - What's cooking for dinner / supper? - Page 7 10_20_13

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum