Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner?

+4
Bugster2
Crybaby
UNCLE JIMMY
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

NormM

NormM

Michelle, I suppose different spellings and pronunciations are due to the word is Korean and the spelling of that word is English. When it is spelled like it is pronounced, there can be a difference in opinion as to how to spell it in English.   Sort of like Arkansas and Kansas.  Arkansas was an Indian word mispronounced and spelled phonetically by someone who spoke French while Kansas was a different word from a different tribe and spelled by someone speaking English.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been wanting to make shrimp & grits for a while and tonight was the night.  I called my Brazilian friend, Ana, and asked her to dinner.  Shrimp & Grits is one of her favorite meals.  Actually, any meal with shrimp is a favorite of hers.

I made a mushroom cream sauce to top the grits.  It's much like the tarragon cream sauce, Michelle, but with the addition of well browned crimini and shitake mushrooms.  I reserved half of the browned mushrooms to add to the strained sauce.  It was really tasty, but next time I'm going to try adding a bit of bacon as well as I missed the smoky, salty flavor a little bit of bacon adds. I waited until the last minute to saute the fresh shrimp in a little oil and butter. I just did a light seasoning of the Tony Chatchere cajun seasoning and it was really flavorful.

I just served up the dishes in the kitchen instead of trying to serve 'family' style.  I thought it would be easier not to have the extra dishes to pass.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 05_16_10

So the meal was very simple, served with a single brioche dinner roll and some peach iced tea.  I didn't take a pic of dessert but it was just a bit of vanilla ice cream with some sliced strawberries and blueberries.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 05_16_11

NormM

NormM

I made the pot roast recipe I got from Beth except I didn't have any Italian dressing packets and used Italian blend seasoning instead. The picture is just what I took out of the Instant Pot to take to the table. Charlie said it was better that way.May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 20180513

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm. Wish I knew who 'Bev' was so I could have thanked her ~ that's such a good recipe!

Niagara Visitor

I had two of my favourite things in the world tonight............... mushrooms and scallops.  Sauteed some onions,mushrooms, added some parsley, lots of black pepper and some gorgeous large scallops.  YUMM!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina took out of the freezer, a Swordfish steak, and I asked who it was for?
She said, "You!"
Huh! ............stammering, I said, "You you you you know I don't like Swordfish!"
She said, "yeah, but these are Cajun!" .......................Whoopie doo! They were seasoned, and packed as Cajun Swordfish, and then vacuum sealed at the store!

No thank you ...... Feed it to Zorro!

So, we had Chinese egg rolls and fried rice.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh, the beef and shrimp meals look awesome.....
I am keeping them in my to do soon recipe file. OH!.... and not OHio..
Guess what? I got an e-mail from photobucket today, and they finally shook themselves and broke down; offering 10GB up from 2GB storage and 3rd party hosting, for
$19.99 a year, or by the month for $1.99.
All my pics are still there, and I'm glad because I can go through all my pics to get ideas of what to cook.

I always said, they will come back begging for people to come back.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane wanted grilled chicken and roasted vegetables ~ that was his suggestion when I said, "I cannot think of anything to cook for supper ~ what do you want?"

Well, I don't stand out in the rain for anyone so he got a roasted chicken and vegetables and Grandma's Summer Salad.

I should have thought to cover the chicken at the beginning. I put it, spatchcocked, in a shallow baking pan (on a rack), and it sputtered and spit all over my clean oven. AAAAARRRRRGGGGhhhhhh! What a mess! But, it was pretty tasty. The vegetables, parsnips, carrots & onions were spread out on a 1/2 sheet pan (covered in foil so I don't have to wash it forever.....) and roasted uncovered for about 35 - 40 minutes in a 450° oven. I turned them once, just mixing them around. They were excellent. Neither of us missed a potato or other starch. I used the last of the romaine on one last meal of Grandma's Summer Salad. Pretty well satisfied with a supper well done......

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 05_17_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Michelle, I suppose different spellings and pronunciations are due to the word is Korean and the spelling of that word is English. When it is spelled like it is pronounced, there can be a difference in opinion as to how to spell it in English.   Sort of like Arkansas and Kansas.  Arkansas was an Indian word mispronounced and spelled phonetically by someone who spoke French while Kansas was a different word from a different tribe and spelled by someone speaking English.

What is the correct or accepted pronunciation, Norm? Or how do YOU say it?

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:Michelle, I suppose different spellings and pronunciations are due to the word is Korean and the spelling of that word is English. When it is spelled like it is pronounced, there can be a difference in opinion as to how to spell it in English.   Sort of like Arkansas and Kansas.  Arkansas was an Indian word mispronounced and spelled phonetically by someone who spoke French while Kansas was a different word from a different tribe and spelled by someone speaking English.

I have 4 Korean cookbooks and checked them all to see what they said. Three spell it Kalbi and one that was printed in Korea but edited by someone with a non Asian sounding name spelled it Galbi.

I suppose there was some confusion over spelling and pronunciation when Americans first started encountering Korean food some 35 or 40 years ago and some of those spellings have been carried down, but I think now the general consensus is it is spelled and pronounced with a K sound. I could find no reference to a dish spelled Balbi.

186May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Thu May 17, 2018 11:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Har har hardy har harrr!....
Tina made a boiled pork loin. LOL
Threw it in a dutch oven, s & p and onions, with water all day on low low covered.
She was out all day; I was in the yard and checking her car.
Problem was, the roast was like 3 - 1/2 pounds.
I ate like a small saucer of pulled pork. Gave the rest to the next door neighbor.

She also, bought a whole Quiche. Like Bubble Gut here, ( me ) really needs that! LOL

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:
Crybaby wrote:

I have 4 Korean cookbooks and checked them all to see what they said. Three spell it Kalbi and one that was printed in Korea but edited by someone with a non Asian sounding name spelled it Galbi.

I suppose there was some confusion over spelling and pronunciation when Americans first started encountering Korean food some 35 or 40 years ago and some of those spellings have been carried down, but I think now the general consensus is it is spelled and pronounced with a K sound.  I could find no reference to a dish spelled Balbi.

Wow, Norm! Thanks for going to so much trouble. I'm firmly in the Kalbi camp now for sure!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Har har hardy har harrr!....
Tina made a boiled pork loin. LOL
Threw it in a dutch oven, s & p and onions, with water all day on low low covered.
She was out all day; I was in the yard and checking her car. Problem was, the roast was like 3 - 1/2 pounds.
I ate like a small saucer of pulled pork. Gave the rest to the next door neighbor.

I never heard of boiling a pork loin roast, Jimmy.  How did it come out? I was surprised to hear it came out the consistency of pork you could pull.

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:She also, bought a whole Quiche.  Like Bubble Gut here, ( me ) really needs that! LOL

Funny, as I've been thinking lately of making a quiche, too, Jimmy. But then I thought maybe I'll make a frittata instead so I can avoid making a crust!  But, of course, the crust is also what makes quiche so good, too, and I haven't made pie crust in a while. I'm sure it'll come out okay as it always does but I never feel quite sure of myself when making it so I always seem to put it off.

It's funny as we used to try to avoid using the oven once it got really hot here. Number one, it's been unseasonably hot this May -- we broke heat records every single day this week and though today is partly cloudy (a blessing!), we may break one again today. It went from perfect days in the mid to high 70s with lower to low humidity, to 95+ and a lot more humid. Which is another reason it seems so darn hot. Number two, once we got the "new" oven (I think we've had it two years now but are still "in love" with it), we sort of threw that no oven use in the hot summer out the window!  

I'm sure once the electric bill comes rolling in, we may rethink things a bit. The power company overcharged us for two months back during Jan. & Feb. when we had those hard freezes. I was shocked the first month (they estimated it rather than read it) the bill came in high, as I'd expected the gas bill to be high and not the electric. The second month I told Brian it must be an error as the meter reader hadn't come by in a while. I paid both of them but am now in the third month that I have a credit balance and don't have to pay a bill -- so you can see how much they overcharged us. Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Crybaby

Crybaby

A tip about putting glaze on a cake!     study

Not so long ago, I read a tip about glazing a cake. I make rum cake, chocolate rum cake and now also make a similar cake with a lemon cake mix and lemoncello instead of rum, which turns out divine.  Normally, I wait until the bundt cake has cooled off after removing it from the bundt pan and then poke holes in the top to the middle of the bake so it will absorb the glaze, which I then spoon over the cake slowly. It takes a while and there's usually a lot of glaze sitting on the bottom of the cake, which is no big deal as it eventually gets absorbed into the cake.  

But the method I read about was a lot easier and it worked! I used my regular implement, a wooden BBQ dowel, to poke holes in the cake but this time I poked holes all over the outside and inside of the cake. Then I poured all the glaze into the now-cooled-off bundt pan and flipped the cooled cake back into the bundt pan on top of all that glaze, which then came up to about an inch from the "bottom" of the cake. Voila -- in a couple of hours, I checked that puppy and all the glaze was absorbed into the cake!  Worked like a charm and I'll do it all the time now. I thought I might have a hard time getting the cooled cake back into the bundt pan without it breaking but it wasn't a problem at all!  

Thought some of you might find this a handy tip as well!   cheers cheers sunny sunny

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:A tip about putting glaze on a cake!     study

Not so long ago, I read a tip about glazing a cake. I make rum cake, chocolate rum cake and now also make a similar cake with a lemon cake mix and lemoncello instead of rum, which turns out divine.  Normally, I wait until the bundt cake has cooled off after removing it from the bundt pan and then poke holes in the top to the middle of the bake so it will absorb the glaze, which I then spoon over the cake slowly. It takes a while and there's usually a lot of glaze sitting on the bottom of the cake, which is no big deal as it eventually gets absorbed into the cake.  

But the method I read about was a lot easier and it worked! I used my regular implement, a wooden BBQ dowel, to poke holes in the cake but this time I poked holes all over the outside and inside of the cake. Then I poured all the glaze into the now-cooled-off bundt pan and flipped the cooled cake back into the bundt pan on top of all that glaze, which then came up to about an inch from the "bottom" of the cake. Voila -- in a couple of hours, I checked that puppy and all the glaze was absorbed into the cake!  Worked like a charm and I'll do it all the time now. I thought I might have a hard time getting the cooled cake back into the bundt pan without it breaking but it wasn't a problem at all!  

Thought some of you might find this a handy tip as well!   cheers cheers sunny sunny

Michelle.... thanks. Im not much of a baker, but DD and Tina are. I will relay this to them. cheers

191May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 18, 2018 10:06 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

We had a late and big brunch today, well, biscuit sausage and cheese ( again, leftover from the other day ), so this evening we were not too hungry, so I made some corn and cabbage soup with sausage for our supper

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 711

192May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice soup Imelda.....

We had pizza that Tina picked up while on her shopping spree in PA with my cousin.
Krispy Kreme doughnuts, and other baked goods.
I just had a 1/2 of a huge cream puff; loaded with custard cream.

My cousin bought everyone one of these hot dog curl a dog spiral slicers.
I'll post it on as seen on TV.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went out to a fairly new fast food restaurant here, Culver's. It's a Wisconsin based chain and is like a 'taste of home' for many.

I wanted to try their Pot Roast Sandwich and was surprised to find it as generous as it showed in the advertising pics. I ate about half the beef out with a fork and brought the rest home for Dane to have for a lunch. I was most excited to have a fountain drink ~ Pepsi on tap! Actually, I don't think I've had a soda in over 5 years as I gave up the sweet stuff many, many years ago. But there is something about the fountain served soft drink that I still love.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 05_18_10

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:A tip about putting glaze on a cake!     study

Michelle.... thanks. Im not much of a baker, but DD and Tina are. I will relay this to them. cheers

Cool, Jimmy -- just tell them to make sure to poke the cake ALL OVER with the dowel -- both sides and the top as it will really soak into all areas of the cake that way. It was a nice time saver and a heck of a lot easier to do than spooning the glaze all over the cake as I rotate it over and over (and over and over) until most or all of the glaze has been used. It was nice to actually "use" the glaze that had collected on the bottom of the cake plate instead of having it just pool around the base. And the glaze was really distributed well, too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:We had a late and big brunch today, well, biscuit sausage and cheese ( again, leftover from the other day ), so this evening we were not too hungry, so I made some corn and cabbage soup with sausage for our supper

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 711

Not only delicious, I'm sure, but gorgeous, too, Imelda -- no surprise there when you're making something!

Crybaby

Crybaby

I have several "rolls" of refrigerated crescent dinner rolls that I have to use up so I started looking on a couple of websites. I found one that was a good base and is quick. (Well, I found several but I'm posting this one.) Easy to make this vegetarian, too, by eliminating the bacon and adding some type of hardy vegetable that you roasted and cut up in lieu of the bacon. Or roasted red bell peppers that you've dried off a bit on a paper towel before using.  Of course, around here, bacon is King! Some roasted garlic mixed in with the cream cheese would be a nice touch too, with or without bacon.

It's easy to think of different fillings you could make for these things. You could add some seasoning too like thyme, oregano or basil, depending on what else you used in your filling. Lots of reviewers said they just rolled out the dough into a rectangle and then cut 16 triangles out of the rectangle -- said they wound up a bit bigger. Others rolled out the dough, spread all of the filling on top, rolled it up and sliced into 1-inch pieces placed on their side like a pinwheel on the baking sheet. And of course, you could use the crescent dough that now comes uncut in sheets. I have some of that on hand, too.

Bacon Appetizer Crescents
16 servings.  Recipe from KraftRecipes.com

1 pkg. (8 oz.) Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
8 slices bacon, cooked, crumbled
1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup finely chopped onions [or green onions]
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
[Granulated garlic, to taste]
[Freshly grated black pepper]
[Pinch red pepper flakes}
1 Tablespoon milk
2 cans (8 oz. each) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls

Heat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients except crescent dough. Separate each can of dough into 8 triangles; cut each triangle lengthwise in half.

Spread cream cheese mixture onto dough triangles, adding about 1 teaspoon to each. Roll up, starting at short side of triangle. Place, point sides down or seam sides down if you didn't use the triangles, on baking sheet.

Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

bethk

bethk
Admin

And in a 'pinch' (when you need to do a 'grab & go' for a potluck) you could easily sub some chopped salami for the bacon.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane had his temporary crown fall out this morning.....he's on chicken soup (broth only) until he can get to the dentist on Monday. (Just his luck it fell out on a Saturday.....)

So, thank goodness for the freezer supply of homemade chicken and/or turkey stock. In a pinch he could do the boxed stock but the homemade does taste better, especially if that's all you get to eat.

But I don't have any such problems so I had a link of linguica sausage and an ear of corn. No sense in making a big meal when a couple things will fill me up. The Portugese linguica wasn't anything like I remembered ~ this was really dry. I only ate about half of it before I decided enough was enough. The rest will get used to season either bean soup or red beans & rice. It's stashed in the freezer.

May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 05_19_10

NormM

NormM

We got a free pizza certificate in the mail a while back and i decided to use it today but out the door, I saw it expired on the 17th so stopped a the first pizza place I saw and got one from there instead.

200May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: May, 2018 ~ What did you make for dinner? Sat May 19, 2018 11:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We got a free pizza certificate in the mail a while back and i decided to use it today but out the door, I saw it expired on the 17th so stopped a the first pizza place I saw and got one from there instead.

W0W! .... what a bummer!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum