Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 12]

76March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane went to his sister's to help her today and didn't get home until 6:00 so I planned a really easy, quick supper. Thank goodness for GPS ~ Garmin and his ability to give me an ETA so I know when to start cooking!

I just did a couple burgers on the charcoal grill and some fresh green beans. It was enough to satisfy both of us.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 03_09_10

77March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:34 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Burger looks good Beth.
We had a blue tube crust pizza that Tina put together.
It was ok.... for me, but Tina loved it. Huh! She must have been starved.
Too wet for me. She used diced tomatoes instead of crushed.
We are still with mounds of snow from the storm.
People are glad the clocks get pushed ahead tomorrow night.
Iv'e never seen so many people with cabin fever.

78March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

Niagara Visitor

Company coming for dinner tonight, my world travelling uncle (age 85) and his son.  He was in Germany in November, again beginning of January to see some of his 5 surviving siblings, and he's the baby!  Then he flew to Australia for about 4 weeks, home via 2 weeks in  Hawaii, then almost 2 weeks in British Columbia.  He is a very energetic "youngster".  I'll make a Salmon Wellington, have wanted to do that for a long time.  Local grocery store had asparagus at $1.50/pound last week, hopefully that's still on.

79March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:40 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I am going to try to venture near the grocery store for chief salad supplies. Everyone has had cabin fever, in addition to a huge power failure in the center of the city, yesterday.

People will be going crazy. My regular Vet, in another city, had to cancel 2 days of appointments due to loss of power. Crazy storms...

I also have a few small slices of a spinach/garlic pizza leftover. I did not care for it, as the dough was too thick and bready for a pizza. I like the thinner crust. This was a really thick bread.. felt like I was eating a focaccia topped with spinach, garlic, and a bit of mozzarella... .. It was on sale at the grocery store, so I tried it.. the rest of it, I tossed.. just save a couple small pieces.

80March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Niagara Visitor wrote:Company coming for dinner tonight, my world travelling uncle (age 85) and his son.  He was in Germany in November, again beginning of January to see some of his 5 surviving siblings, and he's the baby!  Then he flew to Australia for about 4 weeks, home via 2 weeks in  Hawaii, then almost 2 weeks in British Columbia.  He is a very energetic "youngster".  I'll make a Salmon Wellington, have wanted to do that for a long time.  Local grocery store had asparagus at $1.50/pound last week, hopefully that's still on.

DD always says, "Asparagus is a go with, for Salmon!"

81March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:I am going to try to venture near the grocery store for chief salad supplies. Everyone has had cabin fever, in addition to a huge power failure in the center of the city, yesterday.

People will be going crazy. My regular Vet, in another city, had to cancel 2 days of appointments due to loss of power. Crazy storms...

I also have a few small slices of a spinach/garlic pizza leftover. I did not care for it, as the dough was too thick and bready for a pizza. I like the thinner crust. This was a really thick bread.. felt like I was eating a focaccia topped with spinach, garlic, and a bit of mozzarella... .. It was on sale at the grocery store, so I tried it.. the rest of it, I tossed.. just save a couple small pieces.

I shudder when stores try and pass off a slab of dough topped with whatever. Like you said Cindy, the bread to other ingredients ratio is way off.
The hardest thing here, is to find a sub ( Hoagie ) sandwich, that has the right bread to meat / ratio.

For me..... I like a layer of sliced lunch meats / then the cheese / then another layer of meat / then, the shredded lettuce, and sliced tomatoes, and onions that were sliced on a mandolin; paper thin.

82March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Niagara Visitor

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Company coming for dinner tonight, my world travelling uncle (age 85) and his son.  He was in Germany in November, again beginning of January to see some of his 5 surviving siblings, and he's the baby!  Then he flew to Australia for about 4 weeks, home via 2 weeks in  Hawaii, then almost 2 weeks in British Columbia.  He is a very energetic "youngster".  I'll make a Salmon Wellington, have wanted to do that for a long time.  Local grocery store had asparagus at $1.50/pound last week, hopefully that's still on.

DD always says, "Asparagus is a go with, for Salmon!"

Asparagus it is, not $1.50 pound any more, but $1.95 so that's actually pretty good.  Salmon was definitely not a deal.  $57.00 for what I need.  Fisherman son and wife are coming too, so I really don't want to be cheap, right?

83March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Glad to see you back, Michelle.....you're always missed when you have to take a 'health vacation' from us!

It's so sweet of you to say so, Beth. Lord knows, there's no one to talk off topic but me when I'm away. Embarassed Embarassed

84March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Debbie wrote:We saw this lady. She had her back to us. She was wearing metallic red spandex leggings, black booties with 6-inch heels. She had bleached blond hair that was down to her waist. It was a mess: looked like she slept in it. It was pulled back in a loose ponytail. It actually looked like one huge dreadlock. The rest of her hair was teased up real high. She turned around and she must have been at least 75. She actually looked like Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane". Way too much makeup and bright red lips. It made our day. There were some old farts with hair down to their waist. I went outside to the smoking area and got hit straight in the face with a wall of marijuana. Kind of a shock at first but then I remembered it is now legal in CA. I could have gotten a buzz from the smoke. We had a good time.

Hilarious! We saw a few of those, too. Hair is what gets to me the most in older women. Especially when it's fried blond hair -- teasing only adds to the rat's nest look, IMHO! Heck, I see that kind of fried hair on young people today and I want to tell them to give the blond a rest for a while until the breakage in their hair can grow back. 'Course, I'm one of those broads who still wear my hair long, though not as long as I used to. For some reason, my hair is growing really fast lately -- my nails, too, of course. Unusual for an old dame like me I think...

We didn't smoke while we were at the Moody Blues concert, as it was below freezing out there and beginning to sleet as well. Plus that theatre provides no "smoking area" so one would've had to walk all the way back to the front of the theatre to smoke, I think. Maybe a side entrance would've allowed it. But I can last for a couple of hours so I was okay. Brian, not so much, but he hates the cold so he didn't even mention having a smoke!

85March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:30 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am really a terrible person, making fun of people. I don't look any better than them. But I do get a kick out of seeing unusual people. A great place to people watch is Hollywood Blvd. You wouldn't believe the characters that walk the street. I will never forget the time my husband (my boyfriend at the time) saw his first cross-dresser. Beautiful hair, makeup, formal gowns, stiletto heels. He was so shocked he actually walked up to one of the "ladies" and asked if she was a he. I almost wet my pants.

86March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:46 pm

Niagara Visitor

I hope my company appreciates my effort.  This Salmon is quite the production.  There's a leek, spinach (butter) cream and scallops stuffing.  Got that done, and I am going to have to really, really take control so I don't eat that before it ever gets on the salmon.  I tried it, it is soooo good! That stuffing would be so good over pasta.  Just add a little more cream 'cause then everything is better, right?  

There is also an arugula hollandaise, I forgot to get arugula, so I think I am just going to use the box of spring mix greens that I have. 

Not going out again 'cause you know what some people say "I like to cook with wine."  So do I, mine is in a glass, not the pot! Ha,Ha!

87March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today we are having sandwiches. I like a Half of This, and a Half of That kind of sandwich.
Completely separate from each other.

88March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, you could put old shoes on the table and your company would love it! How wonderful you're going to all that effort to give them a meal to remember!

Dane spent the day with his sister again, second day in a row. She finally got around to having the 'garage sale' she's planned for the last two years. Her garage was full of 'junk' that she couldn't bear to part with ~ not a problem with me because I've learned if it's not of use to me it's just 'stuff' and needs to go!

She wasn't expecting him to return today but, at my prodding, he agreed it would be a good idea to at least go and keep her company. He also was able to put up some wire shelves (from our garage that we didn't need) so she'll have room to store needed items in an organized fashion. She tries to do stuff like that, installing shelves, but isn't very handy with tools. So it was good her brother was there to take care of it for her.

So, when he got home I warmed up the leftover rice and stir fry from the other night ~ I ended up tossing in the second half of the bean sprouts and it almost tasted like 'fresh-made'! It was quick and easy and now he's a happy camper.

89March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am doing pan seared scallops with a Calvados sauce.

90March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:48 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am doing pan seared scallops with a Calvados sauce.
I love scallops...

91March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:53 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 51xmua10
Don't Forget.... Push the time one hour ahead.  bounce

92March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 51xmua10
Don't Forget.... Push the time one hour ahead.  bounce

And, take a Nap later in the day!

93March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Got the phones, micro and stove reset. Got to wait for DH to wake up before doing the DVD recorders. He has to do the large clock on the wall.

94March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm back.. I went back to see my family and celebrate Chinese New Year from February to March, Dirk went with me, we stayed for 4 weeks, while I was there I could not get on this site, I'll try to catch up later

Not much cooking here, we both are on diet, he just found out that his cholesterol is a bit high now, and we both are way overweight, since we came back I cooked chicken breast ( my less favorite part of chicken, but now I start liking it ) and ate more green veggies, we ate smaller portion too, no late snacking

Today I'm going to cook chicken breast in mushroom and onion sauce for my mother in-law birthday dinner, I'll post the picture later

95March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane was late for his golf game this morning! Hahahahaha!

I had changed the bedroom alarm clock, toaster oven, stove and microwave ~ our phones and computers automatically change themselves (like 'magic'). He was looking at the wall clock, which HE is suppose to change because I can't get it off or back on the nail in the wall.

If it was anything important I wouldn't have thought it was funny.....but since he plays golf four or five days a week, I don't consider it a 'big deal'.......

Last night I got a package of pork shoulder ribs out of the freezer....3 meaty bone-in cut 'country ribs'. I wanted to do something different. Yesterday I saw a TV program where they did a simple 'rub' of just salt and brown sugar to help tenderize the pork and then dried it and did a sear before braising the pork. Of course, they were using a whole pork shoulder roast, but I figure pork is pork in this case.

I couldn't remember what else they did, don't even remember what program I was watching.....which is typical of my 'have-the-TV-on-for-the-noise' mentality. So I did a google of Asian braised pork and found a Food Network/Anne Burrelle recipe that sounds delicious. And I HAD ALL THE INGREDIENTS! That part 'sealed the deal' for me. (Whoops, sorry....it calls for star anise and I don't have any ~ because I don't like it! LOL) I could add a bit of 5-Spice powder, which I do have, because it has the star anise in it (I think) but I'm not gonna....

Actually, I usually like the Anne Burrelle and Tyler Florence recipes. There are some TV chefs that I can't make ANYTHING that tastes good from their recipes. But usually the ones I try credited to Anne Burrell, although fairly 'ingredient heavy', I like a lot.

We'll see how it goes....if it's bad then we'll end up with leftover bean dip from taco night.......

96March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

Salmon was a resounding success.  It looked gorgeous and the taste lived up to its look.  Dennis (cousin) has worked in expensive hotels in Toronto, New York and Melbourne and said "this is one of the best meals I have ever had."  I gave him the leftovers.

97March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That's great, Lore. You knew, from tasting while you were cooking, that the meal was going to be fabulous! And how nice for you that you had people who really appreciated (and acknowledged) your wonderful meal. I know we shouldn't 'need' compliments but it sure is nice to hear you did good!

Congratulations!

98March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just re-read the recipe and assembled the ingredients for my braising liquid for tonight's Asian Braised Pork supper.  I noticed the pic that accompanied the recipe and it showed the pork being served topped with some fresh pickles.

I can make those!  I only wanted enough for one meal.....no need to over-do it and end up with yet another condiment jar in my refrigerator!

I poured about 1/4 c. of Rice Vinegar and a little less than that of sugar into a small sauce pan.  I added a shake of red pepper flakes and brought it to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.  I poured the hot vinegar mixture over some sliced cucumber, onion and  julienned carrots and they're in the refrigerator becoming 'QUICKLES' (Quick Pickles) for tonight.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 03_11_10

Sometimes I get too involved with my food.......think I have a problem?

LOL

99March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I just re-read the recipe and assembled the ingredients for my braising liquid for tonight's Asian Braised Pork supper.  I noticed the pic that accompanied the recipe and it showed the pork being served topped with some fresh pickles.

I can make those!  I only wanted enough for one meal.....no need to over-do it and end up with yet another condiment jar in my refrigerator!

I poured about 1/4 c. of Rice Vinegar and a little less than that of sugar into a small sauce pan.  I added a shake of red pepper flakes and brought it to a simmer to dissolve the sugar.  I poured the hot vinegar mixture over some sliced cucumber, onion and  julienned carrots and they're in the refrigerator becoming 'QUICKLES' (Quick Pickles) for tonight.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 03_11_10

Sometimes I get too involved with my food.......think I have a problem?

LOL

That's the way we make our pickles, sometime I added some julienned jicama and Thai chili peppers

100March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 4 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:Salmon was a resounding success.  It looked gorgeous and the taste lived up to its look.  Dennis (cousin) has worked in expensive hotels in Toronto, New York and Melbourne and said "this is one of the best meals I have ever had."  I gave him the leftovers.

I told my husband and Katie what you were making and they were having fits. It sounded out of this world to them. Then my husband and Katie started talking like Gomer Pyle - swave and de-bone-er. I needed to make them a gor-met meal and serve white shah-bliss. So much for having a civilized meal.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum