Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2018,... What's for dinner ???

+4
Niagara Visitor
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 12]

101March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I finished cooking my chicken breasts.. I cut the breasts in half, coated iwith flour mixed with salt and black pepper, browned both sides, put aside, then I sauteed lots of onion and mushrooms, added some low sodium chicken broth, cooked for 5 minutes, thickened the broth with some flour, put the meat back, simmered till the meat are done, I garnished with some homegrown chives and fried shallots

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Dscn9614

102March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:17 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Salmon was a resounding success.  It looked gorgeous and the taste lived up to its look.  Dennis (cousin) has worked in expensive hotels in Toronto, New York and Melbourne and said "this is one of the best meals I have ever had."  I gave him the leftovers.

I told my husband and Katie what you were making and they were having fits. It sounded out of this world to them. Then my husband and Katie started talking like Gomer Pyle - swave and de-bone-er. I needed to make them a gor-met meal and serve white shah-bliss. So much for having a civilized meal.

"SHAH- ZAaaaam!"

103March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
Niagara Visitor wrote:Salmon was a resounding success.  It looked gorgeous and the taste lived up to its look.  Dennis (cousin) has worked in expensive hotels in Toronto, New York and Melbourne and said "this is one of the best meals I have ever had."  I gave him the leftovers.

I told my husband and Katie what you were making and they were having fits. It sounded out of this world to them. Then my husband and Katie started talking like Gomer Pyle - swave and de-bone-er. I needed to make them a gor-met meal and serve white shah-bliss. So much for having a civilized meal.

You need to make them a canned dog food casserole......

It infuriates me when people make jest of my efforts in the kitchen.

104March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I finished cooking my chicken breasts.. I cut the breasts in half, coated iwith flour mixed with salt and black pepper, browned both sides, put aside, then I sauteed lots of onion and mushrooms, added some low sodium chicken broth, cooked for 5 minutes, thickened the broth with some flour, put the meat back, simmered till the meat are done, I garnished with some homegrown chives and fried shallots

So glad to see you stop by, Imelda!

Your meals always look SO delicious. It's like I can taste them 'through the screen' !

105March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:35 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:I finished cooking my chicken breasts.. I cut the breasts in half, coated iwith flour mixed with salt and black pepper, browned both sides, put aside, then I sauteed lots of onion and mushrooms, added some low sodium chicken broth, cooked for 5 minutes, thickened the broth with some flour, put the meat back, simmered till the meat are done, I garnished with some homegrown chives and fried shallots

Your meals always look SO delicious.  It's like I can taste them 'through the screen' !
i agree!

106March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

You need to make them a canned dog food casserole......

It infuriates me when people make jest of my efforts in the kitchen.

They weren't making fun of me nor of Niagra's wonderful meal. In fact, they thought my scallops in a Calvados cream sauce was divine. They just got off on some bantering. When Katie was a waitress at the Playboy Club, she had a customer once ask for a glass of white shah-bliss. Dead serious. We have always had fun with people's faux-pas. I make mistakes, everybody makes mistakes and you can't take yourself too seriously. Once my father, a very well educated man, was reading something and ran across a split word at the end of a sentence. It threw him for a loop. He asked my mom "Joyce, what is a fig - urine"? The word was figurine. We all got a good laugh out of that one and still talk about it today.

107March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

OK, I know I've probably asked this before, but I'm having a 'senior moment'.....

If you make rice on a regular basis (Imelda & Norm), do you rinse your rice?

Today I'm using the Trader Joe's Sprouted California Rice Blend and I'm rinsing it in water until all the water is clear. Most of the time I use the par-cooked rice and I don't rinse that because it always comes out separate and not clumped together. I almost always cook my rice in my microwave in a Pyrex casserole dish: Bring the water/stock, rice, salt & butter to a boil for 3-4 minutes on high and then 20 - 35 minutes (depending upon the type of rice I'm making) on a 30% power.

So, is there a reason to rinse rice or am I just spending more time than I need to?

108March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Andrea and Tori are coming for a 2 - 3 day visit at the end of March (Easter break), Jim & Joshua have a volunteer event to attend so it's just our daughter and grand-daughter coming for the visit.

I got text messages from Tori (13 years old) last week and I had to laugh....

She wanted to know if there was any restaurant around The Villages that had good crab cakes. I responded we could go to The Lighthouse Restaurant (a seafood heavy place) but that when her cousin, Jacob visited we usually just bought snow crab clusters to cook here.

She quickly responded, "Oh, Grandma, would you cook crab for ME?"

Of course!

So, after we drive an hour to go have lunch at a Tea House in Mount Dora we'll be coming home and having steamed crab clusters.

It's so much fun to get texts from grandchildren!

109March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'M STUFFED!!!

Supper was a success according to Mr. Amazing ~ he even liked the Quickles!  The pork shoulder ribs benefited from a douse of the reduced braising liquid and it was counter-balanced by the slight sweetness of the Korean BBQ sauce I used to lightly braise the bok choy.  The Trader Joe's California Sprouted Mixed Rice was just the right starch to compliment the meal and bring it together.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 03_11_11

110March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I hope my company appreciates my effort.  This Salmon is quite the production.  There's a leek, spinach (butter) cream and scallops stuffing.  Got that done, and I am going to have to really, really take control so I don't eat that before it ever gets on the salmon.  I tried it, it is soooo good! That stuffing would be so good over pasta.  Just add a little more cream 'cause then everything is better, right?  

There is also an arugula hollandaise, I forgot to get arugula, so I think I am just going to use the box of spring mix greens that I have. 

Not going out again 'cause you know what some people say "I like to cook with wine."  So do I, mine is in a glass, not the pot! Ha,Ha!

I wish I could have seen pics of your meal and prep, Lore.....

Do you have a 'smart phone' that takes photos?  If you do, maybe we can talk you through how to e-mail the pics to yourself and then 'drag' the pics from your open e-mail to a file on your computer.  Then it's easy-peasy to post the pics in The Forum.

Last edited by bethk on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

111March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:OK, I know I've probably asked this before, but I'm having a 'senior moment'.....

Today I'm using the Trader Joe's Sprouted California Rice Blend and I'm rinsing it in water until all the water is clear.  Most of the time I use the par-cooked rice and I don't rinse that because it always comes out separate and not clumped together.  I almost always cook my rice in my microwave in a Pyrex casserole dish:  Bring the water/stock, rice, salt & butter to a boil for 3-4 minutes on high and then 20 - 35 minutes (depending upon the type of rice I'm making) on a 30% power.

So, is there a reason to rinse rice or am I just spending more time than I need to?

I am no expert but all of my packages of rice say to rinse, and I do. As far as I know it is supposed to keep the rice from sticking together.

112March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:00 pm

NormM

NormM

I nearly always cook Calrose medium grain rice in a rice cooker and I always rinse it about 3 times.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

113March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I nearly always cook Calrose medium grain rice in a rice cooker and I always rinse it about 3 times.

Norm, you are so right. I asked you that a few years ago, and you mentioned at least three rinses. Tina likes a sticky glue like rice I don't
And I rinsed the rice that comes out sticky, and it makes a 100% difference.

114March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:05 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:OK, I know I've probably asked this before, but I'm having a 'senior moment'.....

Today I'm using the Trader Joe's Sprouted California Rice Blend and I'm rinsing it in water until all the water is clear.  Most of the time I use the par-cooked rice and I don't rinse that because it always comes out separate and not clumped together.  I almost always cook my rice in my microwave in a Pyrex casserole dish:  Bring the water/stock, rice, salt & butter to a boil for 3-4 minutes on high and then 20 - 35 minutes (depending upon the type of rice I'm making) on a 30% power.

I/we always rinse the rice before cooking the rice, at least 3 times, to clean it for hygienic reason and wash out the starch, I used regular Jasmine rice and Beth, the water from washing the rice is good nutrient source plants, so I always watered my favorite plants ( chili plants ) with rice water

Last edited by Imelda HL on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total

115March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Niagara Visitor wrote:
bethk wrote:

Your meals always look SO delicious.  It's like I can taste them 'through the screen' !
i agree!

Thank you
March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 2453703928

116March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I got up at 5 and started messing with my DVD recorder. I am learning how to edit the commercials out of the movies I record. I am not the sharpest tack in the box so it has been tedious and my brain gets so tired when I try to think. While I was messing with the movie, I kept smelling poop. I got up and looked around to see if some cat had an accident. Then Smidge appeared and I gave him a pat and checked under his tail. Somehow he had managed to sit in his poop and it welded itself to his butt. Wonderful! I had to wake up Joe because it is a two man job to Dy-Dee my cat: one to hold the cat and the other to use the water spray. Got the mess off fast but Smidge was insulted and hid under the bed. Not even a thank you.
We have a leftover New York steak from last night's dinner. I think I will make Joe a steak sandwich for dinner. I will chop up a little of it for me and make steak salad for me. I find the steak is just too hard to bite through in a sandwich. Katie is at a retirement party for the former "Bunny Mother" so I don't have to worry about feeding her. She will come home and go straight to bed.

117March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It seems I've been cooking all day. I had vegetables in the refrigerator that needed to be cleaned and used. I took care of the red beets & greens and then had to sort through the green beans.

I had pulled a bone-in chicken breast from the freezer and decided it was big enough to become a 'roast chicken for two'. I browned it in a small SS skillet and then put it into the oven to finish roasting once the skin was nicely browned. I made braised finger potatoes and onions, ala Ms. Tina, and also let the pan they were in finish cooking along side the chicken in the oven. The beet greens got cooked and the cooked beets added just to reheat. The green beans just got seasoned with some butter and s&p.

When the chicken was resting I looked at the little skillet it baked in and saw the most beautiful pan juices.....I had to make about 1 c. of gravy from the drippings ~ too much flavor to toss!

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 03_12_10

118March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:58 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I had made a chiefs salad for supper; however, the weather report really messed with me.

When I heard the forecast for 14-18 inches of snow, I decided to have the salad tonight, and order a pizza for tomorrow, with the leftovers stored away in the freezer.

That thinking changed really fast. The pizza smelt so good, and looked even better.
I just had to have a couple of slices. The salad can wait for tomorrow(?) in the cold, blizzard??
Not sure about that.. but..

Now, the forecast is for 15-20 inches of snow!!! OMG.. Blizzard!!!!
The snow will be starting around 3-4AM Tuesday morning, and ending sometime on Wednesday..
The snow will be coming down at 1-2 inches per hour for 6-8 hours!! OMG!!!

I sound more upset than I am. Lived through this before, will do it again. I am pretty much have it all.

I have my power loss container ready: batteries, 2 small lanterns, an old battery operated boom box, my car has almost a full tank of gas, I have tons of candles in here, and some battery operated fake candles, tons of throws, a heavy quilt....

Cell phone will be charged, same with laptop, have the kindle charged, and have a couple of 'real books, and magazines, have the extra battery pack charging now. Also have some LL bean thermal underwear--my snow gear...I will put the heat up a bit, to keep it a bit warmer in here.. the wind just comes through here. I am right at the beach, so it is quite windy.

Artie is set: have all his food, medicines, he has his quilt/tent to keep him warm, extra litter.

Only thing missing is a gas grill and a generator..

I am all set.. most important, I have plenty of munchies!!! and food.
I would say alcoholic beverages, also ~~~ but I gave that up for Lent... but this may be an exemption??????

119March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

Stay safe and warm there!  We are expecting snow tomorrow and Wednesday, but I don't know how much.

120March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:16 pm

NormM

NormM

We had Mexican stuffed shells and a Mexican dessert-Corn Cake.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 20180317

121March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:We had Mexican stuffed shells and a Mexican dessert-Corn Cake.

March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 20180317

Boy, they look good. Is thayt something you invented Norm?
What a great idea.

122March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am

NormM

NormM

I got both recipes from the internet. The stuffed shells was on there a few years ago and the sweet corn cake was recently from Hispanic Kitchen.

123March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:29 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Love stuffed shells!

I like portion control for those with no will power.....LOL

124March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am

NormM

NormM

Thanks Beth. I agree.

125March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? - Page 5 Empty Re: March 2018,... What's for dinner ??? Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today is $2.99 Ground Chuck Tuesday at Fresh Market. I picked up 4 lbs. to make a batch of meat loaves to put into the freezer. I didn't have any buttermilk that I usually use to soak the Panko crumbs in so I looked in the pantry and saw a can of evaporated milk. I don't know why I purchased it, or when (although it wasn't out of date) so that would work just fine.

I use the small foil pans, lined in plastic wrap so I can flip the formed loaves on to a rack to bake. I much prefer letting all the fat escape instead of baking inside a pan. But I do like to have my meatloaf shaped in that 'log' shape. Since they're not baked in a pan it means less clean up, too!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum