Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

76February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:39 pm

Niagara Visitor

I had two lamb shoulder chops, mixed up a package of onion soup, I had a bunch of wild mushrooms in a package, mixed them with the onion soup, put it in an oven proof dish, put the chops on top, added a few sprouts and baked, covered with foil for about an hour at 350.  When meat was done, I cooked a few tagliatelle noodles, spooned the mushroom mixture on top.  Yumm, I'll do it again sometime.

77February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nice stay in the house and watch the rain day! ....
We are watching / listening Woodrow Wilson movie on TCM. Tina is mad because they colorized it. She and I hate when they do that.
Anyhoo..... it will be "Susans Meatballs" in the dark cream of mushroom soup and baked in the oven. Noodles with butter, and green beans.

Jimmy, I love colorized movies! I also like the original black & white. When a movie has been colorized, it is like watching a whole new movie. For example: My Man Godfrey. I love the movie because the characters are a hoot. It originally was in B&W. The colorized version allows you to really see all the intricasies of the Art Deco décor, the fashions. There is so much missed in B&W. Also, when a movie is colorized, it is also digitized and cleaned up so the picture is clearer. There are bad colorizations and good. It is very expensive to colorize a movie - around $250,000. One of our old faves is "The Thing". We have it in B&W and color. In the color version you can see that the monster is green. TCM colorized about 300 movies but stopped because purists pitched a fit. There is nothing wrong with it as long as you have not destroyed the original. It is like a remake but not bad remake that they seem to be doing so much today. I have quite a few of the colorized movies but not nearly enough.

I guess Tina is a Purist. Hahahahaha.
There is a setting on the tv that one can change the color to black and white. I have a few full feature films that I can't wait to run.
They are celluloid film 16mm sound. I only have one projector, so there cannot be a switch over to a second projector to provide continuity, and so we'll just have to wait till I thread the next reel after the previous one runs empty.

78February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 pm

NormM

NormM

I made a vegetable pot pie with home made biscuits. I thought about adding some chicken but made meatballs instead.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 20180222

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

79February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:21 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper tonight was Cowboy Western Style....served in the pots. Hahaha

Susans' Meatballs with mushroom soup for gravy. Noodles with butter, and beans. Tina has to have her mashed potatoes though!
Pound cake for dessert!   ..... OK, let me see if I can find the pictures I took!

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Img_0815
February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Img_0814

80February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:26 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I made a vegetable pot pie with home made biscuits. I thought about adding some chicken but made meatballs instead.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 20180222

I like the meatballs idea! .... Looks good!

81February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Img_0814
[/size]

POUND CAKE! I want pound cake!!!

82February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I just got a good laugh I thought I would share with you. On the news there was a video of someone stealing a package from the front door of a house where the mailman had just dropped it off. It was a box being delivered to an entomologist and contained 500 cockroaches! I would have loved to have seen their faces when they opened the box. Can you imagine? Too funny! There is justice in this world. What goes around, comes around.

83February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:18 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:I just got a good laugh I thought I would share with you. On the news there was a video of someone stealing a package from the front door of a house where the mailman had just dropped it off. It was a box being delivered to an entomologist and contained 500 cockroaches! I would have loved to have seen their faces when they opened the box. Can you imagine? Too funny! There is justice in this world. What goes around, comes around.

That is Karma!  A few weeks ago I was watching Live with Kelly and Ryan.  She told a story from when her children were really little.  While they were out somewhere, the baby started to vomit, got sick all over,  and there was also poop on the clothes.  She was able to purchase something new, had all the dirty things in the diaper bag, and it was stolen.

84February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That's too funny!

85February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had a chicken breast thawed for supper but wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. I finally decided to cut it into chunks and marinate it in the Korean BBQ for a couple hours. I pulled the skin off and rendered it until crispy so I could chop it and use it as a garnish with some of the jarred fried onions/shallots. I had some of the TJ California sprouted rice and some broccoli to steam in the microwave. Oh, and I decided to give the kim chi a try ~ it's definately acquired taste, although eaten with a bit of the sweet-ish chicken, it was quite nice.

Here's the chicken skin slowly rendering......

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 02_12_13

I just put it into a non-stick skillet on a low heat and then topped it with some foil and weighted to stay flat with another skillet the same size (the foil was so the top skillet didn't get covered with the chicken fat).

And supper was served:

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 02_12_14

86February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Niagara Visitor

Chicken breast roasting in the oven for me also.  I have made a salad of yellow pepper, tomato, onion, pea shoots, cucumber.  Simple, simple.

87February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You've mentioned the pea shoots before, Lore. How lucky are you to find them available for purchase. I love to add the ones we grow at the last minute when I do a stir fry. The taste is so fresh and sweet.

88February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:24 pm

Niagara Visitor

We have had alfalfa, cress, pea shoots, radish shoots, probably 15-20 different ones available here for years.  Not at all grocery stores, but some.  I love them on my salads.  I also used to put them on my hubby's lunch sandwiches.

89February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

He wanted to go to Outback Steak House for the steak & lobster special for his birthday dinner ~ who am I to argue with that?  (Pretty sneaky of me, huh?)

Of course, I forgot to take a pic of our dinners.  Our server was as cute as could be and got EVERYTHING correct on our order and even brought him a dessert on the house since I mentioned it was his Happy Birthday.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 02_13_10

90February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Happy Birthday to Dane...from Uncle Jimmy & wife Tina in New Jersey!
That smile tells that your meal was so good. God Bless!

91February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Taco Bell ... taco's with no tomatoes and no onions, but a pound of lettuce'\;
with no hot sauce packets. Tina's hard shell pizza....the shell was stale and rancid smelling and no more sliced olives....

She was wiped out today. It was baby watch day. He was so good though!
If she weren't so tired, she would have taken it back.

92February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Hey! Uhh!.... "these teeth are ready for some steak!"  Medium rare please!February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Img_0816

93February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness Gracious! He's getting SO big!

Still a Cutie Patootie......

94February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:39 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight was the leftover lasagna casserole, reheated in the oven in a smaller casserole dish. I had picked up some salad mix and made a light dressing for it.

We had gone out for breakfast with the neighborhood group, close to 50 of us, for a Valentine's Day breakfast buffet at one of the country clubs. There was a good assortment of items, an omelet station neither Dane nor I wanted to wait in line for, and lots of fun conversation and laughter.

95February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm

Niagara Visitor

Lasagna casserole?  What's that, it sounds yummy!

96February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 pm

NormM

NormM

I made Shrimp Jambalaya for dinner tonight. I was briefly married a second time. #2 made Jambalaya and I disliked it so much I never even considered making it myself but this recipe looked good.  It said to use long grain rice and I used medium grain rice which makes it clump together and not be fluffy like it should.  I had my reasons though. First, I have several pounds of medium grain and it is all we ever use and I didn't want to get some for one recipe until I had tried it this way first, second, #2 used long grain rice and even though I probably hated it because of her recipe and cooking and it wasn't the fault of the rice, I still used medium grain. Third, Charlies side of the family does not like long grain rice in anything and I was afraid Charlie might not like it either but apparently his tastes are more catholic than I thought.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 20180223

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

97February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Pizza for us tonight. A couple cookies for me, and pineapple upside down cake that DD made last night, and brought some over.
It was graciously warm today. 44 degrees, and no wind. It gave me a chance to work on mrs.T's car, and get it on the road again. That's a load off my mind. Sleep Now I can rest easy!

98February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I made Shrimp Jambalaya for dinner tonight. I was briefly married a second time. #2 made Jambalaya and I disliked it so much I never even considered making it myself but this recipe looked good.  It said to use long grain rice and I used medium grain rice which makes it clump together and not be fluffy like it should.  I had my reasons though. First, I have several pounds of medium grain and it is all we ever use and I didn't want to get some for one recipe until I had tried it this way first, second, #2 used long grain rice and even though I probably hated it because of her recipe and cooking and it wasn't the fault of the rice, I still used medium grain. Third, Charlies side of the family does not like long grain rice in anything and I was afraid Charlie might not like it either but apparently his tastes are more catholic than I thought.

Norm, it's good to know you don't hold a grudge and decided to try a Cajun dish again. LOL

There must be a hundred or more 'recipes' for jambalaya. The one I make is a tomato based 'stew' with lots of onions and peppers in a ratio different from the traditional New Orleans 'Trinity' and I usually serve it with the white rice cooked and served in the middle of the bowl with the jambalaya spooned around it. Of course, I usually end up using the 'cheater' par-cooked rice because it comes out the way we like it and it's easy to make in a Pyrex casserole dish in the microwave.

99February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Years ago I saw a recipe on a Diners, Drive-Ins & Dives episode when they filmed at The Polish Village Cafe in Hamtramik, Michigan (in Detroit). One of the dishes they made was Dill Pickle Soup. It intrigued me and I decided to give it a try in case I wanted to make it to take to a Patio Party we'll be having next month at one of our Polish neighbor's. The neighbors brought a bunch of pierogi from their northern home and mentioned they were going to share since all the neighbors were interested in trying them.

Another Polish neighbor, across the courtyard wall from us, said she was thinking of taking kielbasa and sauerkraut so it just makes sense to me to follow the 'theme' and take something Polish.

So, I gave the recipe a 'run-through' tonight (Dane is gone to his sister's to take her out to supper for her birthday). The 'recipe' is easy enough and I just followed it according to what I watched on the Food Network video and the recipe they listed. It's more of a 'method' soup and could be easily thrown together as you like with different ingredients, I'm sure.

I cubed 2 potatoes, sliced and julienned a carrot and put the vegetables in a sauce pan and covered with water, adding about 3 Tbsp. of butter (the recipe calls for margarine). When the potatoes and carrots were tender I added 2 small grated Polish Dill Pickles and about 2 Tbsp. of pickle juice. Then, as it came to a simmer I whisked together 1/4 c. of sour cream and 1/4 c. of flour until it was smooth.....that got whisked into the soup and brought to a boil. I added some pepper at the end, although the recipe didn't call for it.

I was amazed how complex this simple concoction was.....it was so few ingredients but tasted like so much more. I wouldn't want a huge bowl to eat but a small cup with a sandwich would be really satisfying for a lunch.

I ended up taking it next door to Tommy & Joann and asked them to be my 'taste testers'.....and they liked it, too. Joann was a bit more aprehensive before tasting it but she's always up for a challenge. And Tommy, well, what can I say? Tommy eats ANYTHING! LOL

So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to make a bigger pot to put in a Crock Pot to take to next month's Patio Party and I'll see how many 'brave' people live around us.

100February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 4 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:22 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, I made pan fried burgers. I had mine with cheese; onions, and Greek style chili sauce.
Dessert was cookies, and valentine candy. LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum