Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:13 am

NormM

NormM

The Jambalaya I made had tomatoes in it too. The recipe said tomatoes made it Creole style, but if you make a stew with rice on the side, it sounds more like gumbo which is something I like to make all the time. A southerner told me if you make gumbo with rice in it, it isn't gumbo. Probably the same is true for jambalaya. If it isn't a rice dish, it isn't jambalaya.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

102February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

So, today I cooked. It seems like it's been a long time since I've made a full meal.....

BBQ Pork Steak (HE didn't even complain since I cooked it long and slow and rendered off the majority of the fat), Mashed Potatoes (found a container in the freezer), simmered red beets and Penzey herbed green beans.

Boy, OH BOY, I'm FULL!!!

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_16_10

103February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:So, today I cooked.  It seems like it's been a long time since I've made a full meal.....

BBQ Pork Steak (HE didn't even complain since I cooked it long and slow and rendered off the majority of the fat), Mashed Potatoes (found a container in the freezer), simmered red beets and Penzey herbed green beans.  

Boy, OH BOY, I'm FULL!!!

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_16_10

Beth..it looks so good. Ummm! ... BTW, when you say you had the mashed potatoes in the freezer, does that mean you made them,
and then froze them for later use, or are they bought. ?

104February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is on her way home. Uncle Elmer had a 4 pm dr. appt. She took him, so she could talk to the dr.

They ate at the Ritz Diner. She is bringing me her potato pancakes that she didn't eat.
Not a bit like her grated onion and grated potato pancakes that she makes.
We like the crispy edges on the potato pancakes....

105February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Jimmy, they were some that I had made a while back. Since I use cream cheese and sour cream in my mashed potatoes, the protein allows me to freeze them without the 'left over' taste. Sometimes they separate a bit when they thaw but after a few minutes in a skillet it cooks down and they taste just like fresh.

106February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yes, Jimmy, they were some that I had made a while back.  Since I use cream cheese and sour cream in my mashed potatoes, the protein allows me to freeze them without the 'left over' taste.  Sometimes they separate a bit when they thaw but after a few minutes in a skillet it cooks down and they taste just like fresh.

Sounds good Beth. Tina buys frozen mashed for hurry up mashed potatoes. She likes Bob Evans Brand.

107February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've had those before.....they're pretty good.

108February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even out of the freezer (let's call it 'Ice Fish'....) it's still the best in the land!

We're going out with Lyn & Bill to celebrate their 52nd Anniversary. I got some chicken thighs out of the freezer this morning and I was going to put them in the microwave to give them a jump start on thawing and then I remembered I wasn't cooking ~ so they are now just sitting on a plate in the refrigerator and I'll cook them tomorrow. I want to go to Fresh Market and get some mixed mushrooms to do Lore's Chicken & Mushroom Stew ~ or a take on it. It sounded so good to me when she posted the recipe that I've had it on my mind ever since.

109February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Niagara Visitor

............................ speaking or posting of mashed potatoes................. We had a retail fireplace shop for about 20 years in the late 70's to early 90s.  Customer came in one day and I could see that he had a really nice Mercedes out front.  Somehow we started talking and he mentioned the car and said "That's what instant mashed potatoes will get you.  My wife has another car like that at home."  I had no idea what he was talking about, but yup, he invented them.  Mr. Asselberg.  Very nice man.

110February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:03 pm

NormM

NormM

I had a Boston Market Chicken Pot pie for dinner tonight.

111February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:45 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had to go to a wake tonight in Lake Hopatcong.  about 30 minutes drive.
We already had two inches of snow, and it was treacherous getting there. We left after an hour visit, and the home is on a plateau; with two steep driveways.
Our hearts were in our throats just sliding down the steep incline. We here at home got 7 inches. So pretty.

Dinner was heated up pea soup for Tina, and a can of smoked kippered herring for me!
Oreo's for dessert, with coffee.  

112February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:45 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

We went to The Rose Plantation tonight. It's a big old converted home on a lake. The views of the lake were lovely, the food was excellent and the company delightful!

Lyn had rack of lamb:

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_17_10

Dane had branzino with a caper sauce:

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_17_11

I had crabcake stuffed shrimp:

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_17_12

Bill had a filet but I didn't get a pic of his meal.....by the time I had a chance to take a pic of three plates his was half gone! Hahahahaha

113February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:54 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow! .... Seafood looks great!

The Mrs. has a bucket full of Halupki ( stuffed cabbages ) on the stove; cooking.

114February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We were just talking about those the other day when the neighborhood ladies went out for lunch. Two of us ordered the 'appetizer' stuffed cabbage (which is one gigantic stuffed cabbage with sauce) and we asked for their fresh rye bread & butter on the side. OMG ~ SO Good!

And for as much work as it is to make it, never able to make just enough for one meal ~ ALWAYS too much and too little freezer space ~ it's just as easy to go out and order one once in a while when the mood strikes. I was surprised there was someone else who also knew of the 'appetizer' deal....just the right size for a nice lunch. Their dinner portion is HUGE and way too much for me to eat: Two big stuffed cabbage rolls w/sauce, mashed potatoes, vegetables and bread & butter.

115February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:17 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight I made a chicken & mushroom stew over tagliatelli noodles with some green beans.  The dish was based on the recipe Lore posted but I changed it to suit our tastes and my desire to make it on the stove top.  I liked the combination of shitake and oyster mushrooms, two of my favorites.  I added the grainy mustard, which gave a nice complex taste to the dish, and used fresh thyme and some fresh tarragon, both from my garden pots.  I thickened it with a 'slurry' of sour cream, heavy cream and flour to have a lightly viscous sauce that coated the tagliatelli noodles nicely.

It couldn't have been too bad because Mr. Amazing had seconds.....

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_18_10

116February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:21 pm

NormM

NormM

I asked Charlie for suggestions for dinner and he said he'd like Chicken wings bulgogi.February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Unname10
February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Unname11

117February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Every one's meals look so good.
We had split pea soup the neighbor brought over, beside the stuffed cabbages and mashed potatoes.

118February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Tonight I made a chicken & mushroom stew over tagliatelli noodles with some green beans.  The dish was based on the recipe Lore posted but I changed it to suit our tastes and my desire to make it on the stove top.  I liked the combination of shitake and oyster mushrooms, two of my favorites.  I added the grainy mustard, which gave a nice complex taste to the dish, and used fresh thyme and some fresh tarragon, both from my garden pots.  I thickened it with a 'slurry' of sour cream, heavy cream and flour to have a lightly viscous sauce that coated the tagliatelli noodles nicely.

It couldn't have been too bad because Mr. Amazing had seconds.....

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_18_10
It's always nice to hear/read that someone was inspired to change a recipe to make it their own.  I think when I make this again, I will also do it in a dutch oven on top of the stove.  I don't use the slow cooker very often, it's tucked away in a top cupboard and I need my kitchen ladder to get it out PITA!

119February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I loved all the mushrooms in it. Next time I think I will roast all the mushrooms in the oven to dehydrate them a bit and concentrate the flavors, maybe adding even more varieties. The touch of white wine vinegar at the end brought out the mustard flavor just a bit and added a nice 'pop' of flavor. It's definately a keeper for me!

Thanks!

120February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Niagara Visitor

I love, love, love mushrooms but had never thought of them being basically the "star" of a dish.  But then, hubby didn't like them, so I never looked into using them other than as a side or minor part of a dish.

121February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had thawed a couple beef cubed steaks and didn't know what to make.....finally decided upon Swiss Steak in a tomato sauce, Parsley Potatoes and Cauliflower/Broccoli mix.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 02_19_10

122February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 pm

Niagara Visitor

I have a small piece of a sirloin steak defrosted, potatoes (small chunks) roasting in the oven.  The steak will be done in my grill pan.  I also have some asparagus that was on special, I think I'll try doing that in the grill pan also.  Asparagus was on sale for $1.50 a pound........... don't know how they can get it here from Chile for that price.  I don't usually buy it in the winter, but this was too good a deal to pass up.  I love asparagus.

123February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Jimmy here, had two thick juicy Beth Burgers. Cheeseburgers actually!
Slice of raw onion on one, and fried onion on the other one.
Sweet Hot Pickles on the side.
Tina had mashed potatoes, and ground leftover filling and cabbage from yesterday's Halupki!

124February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Niagara Visitor

It's interesting to read all the different names for pretty well cabbage rolls.  I grew up with them being called "Galushken" Some others call them "Halushken"

P.S on edit.................... I just finished the steak, delicious, but I'm surprised the fire alarm didn't go off.  My place is really, really smokey!  It surely is nothing like doing a steak on the firepit we had for 39 years!

Last edited by Niagara Visitor on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More info.)

125February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

So much for the warm weather here. We had a cold front move in. It is clear but cold for us. 37 this morning. Inland it is 28. BRRR! It didn't get above 53 yesterday.
Joe was complaining that he is fat (he has too much table muscle). So, last night I made low cal chicken pot pie soup. It was ok but nothing great. It wasn't enough for Joe. An hour later he made a steak and cheese sandwich. So much for willpower. So much for my attempt to serve low cal.

FYI: Disneyland has opened a Disney themed kitchenware store. Here is a link. flip through the pics.

https://www.thekitchn.com/disney-homewares-store-cookware-disneyland-255979?utm_source=k_daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=02202018&recip_id=870181

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum