Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2018; Whats for Dinner??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 7]

126February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 pm

NormM

NormM

Well it was raining here earlier but it turned to a light snow. I got a call from a jeweler saying the watchmaker was done with my watch so I went out to warm up the car and couldn't get in because the door was iced shut. I did get in on the other side and climbed over to the driver side and opened the door from the inside. It is warming up now. I hope the roads aren't too slick.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

127February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We are having a heat wave here. 58 degrees this afternoon.
The 7 inches of snow we had is almost gone. That's very saddening.
Tina made lasagnas ...3 pans. One for the neighbor that just lost her sister, and one for neighbor who cleaned my driveway and walkways after the storm.
Tina also made salads, and pound cakes for their  dessert.

I almost forgot. French onion soup too! Yummie. Hard to believe, a big full pot full to the top with onions, and they all slowly cooked down and caramelized to the bottom of the pot.

128February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Man, oh, man.....WHERE does Ms. Tina find the energy??? If I did all that in one day I'd be dead in the lazy boy and out for the count!

Our weather has been fantastic.....sunshine and in the high 70's to low 80's. No humidity. No bugs. Life is good.

Today was $2.99 Ground Chuck Day at Fresh Market so I stopped to get some since my supply is gone. But I didn't feel like making anything with ground beef for supper. Instead I picked up some of their Irish Banger sausages. They're very similar to bratwurst but without the garlic ~ and that's why we like them so much.....just a very mild pork sausage. I knew I had some red grapes so Roasted Sausages & Grapes is what we had for supper. As long as I was going to have the oven on I also roasted a big butternut squash ~ half for tonight and maybe half for soup later in the week. Lima beans rounded out my meal and we were both happy campers!

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 02_20_10

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 02_20_11

129February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Wow Beth, those sausages look great!

Do you add the grapes whole as you cook the sausage? Sounds like a taste experience!

Ms. Tina is in her EZ chair, and is wasted.

130February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:34 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yes, Jimmy, Easy Peasy!

I brown the sausages on both sides in a little cast iron skillet, just to get some color. Then I drop in whatever grapes I have, green or red ~ makes no difference. Into the oven for 25 - 30 minutes. The grapes usually burst and give off juice. When I remove the sausages to the plates I just let the grapes reduce down a little bit on the stove top.....be sure to leave a pot holder on the handle of the hot skillet (something I learned the hard way).

The original recipe was from a Barefoot Contessa episode with some restaurant owner friend of hers. They used sweet and hot Italian sausages, I think, and maybe a splash of basaltic vinegar. But I use the Irish Bangers and no vinegar and we like it a lot.

131February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane managed to rig up the shell of our dead gas grill to turn it into a charcoal grill until we get around to moving Lyn's Weber grill over here. It stinks when you don't have a pickup truck available to use whenever you want to move something......

So, tonight we had perfectly cooked grilled burgers (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!) and some potato salad (which is MY personal favorite).

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 02_21_10

132February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Dane managed to rig up the shell of our dead gas grill to turn it into a charcoal grill until we get around to moving Lyn's Weber grill over here.  It stinks when you don't have a pickup truck available to use whenever you want to move something......

So, tonight we had perfectly cooked grilled burgers (that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!) and some potato salad (which is MY personal favorite).

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 02_21_10

Sure does look good Beth!.... Good thing the Mrs. didn't see the potato salad. She loves that!...

133February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:16 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was French onion soup.... Again!
I am hungry for a sandwich now! ....

134February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You could be "Her Hero" and make some potato salad for her, Jimmy.

Lately I've taken to using a hand-held grater to cut my eggs for egg salad and potato salad ~ Super fast and easy and easier to wash than the egg slicer.

135February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I got up this morning and made yet another Lemon Sunshine Cake (Lemon Chiffon).....even made the Lemon Custard to go with it. We have a Patio Party to go to this afternoon and it's what came to mind first and foremost ~ have I mentioned it's my All-Time-Favorite-Cake? Grandma made it for 'special occasions' but I just make it because it comes out perfect every time.....well, OK, so not EVERY time, but often enough to be considered 'easy-peasy' to me!

136February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Niagara Visitor

I put two huge pork hocks in a pot last night to make headcheese.  Good friends of mine (hubby's best friend) and wife love it, and they don't make that kind of thing any more.  So, I make some, take it to them, and they generally say "When this is gone, we'll have to go out for a steak dinner."  Great trade for both of us, right?  

That must have been one big pig!  A new friend here in the building (age 92) also loves it, so she'll get some also.  I tell them "Meals on wheels is here!"

137February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I put two huge pork hocks in a pot last night to make headcheese.  Good friends of mine (hubby's best friend) and wife love it, and they don't make that kind of thing any more.  So, I make some, take it to them, and they generally say "When this is gone, we'll have to go out for a steak dinner."  Great trade for both of us, right?  

That must have been one big pig!  A new friend here in the building (age 92) also loves it, so she'll get some also.  I tell them "Meals on wheels is here!"

What else is in your head cheese? I have never tried it because I am not sure what is in it. Love pork hocks!

138February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:27 pm

Niagara Visitor

there is definitely no head, nor cheese in it.  I should call it pork in aspic, then it wouldn't sound so gross, right?  

_ place pork hocks in heavy pot deep enough to cover with water.  Add a couple of bay leaves, a large onion, peeled and quartered, generous amount of salt and peppercorns.  Bring to a boil, then simmer until meat is fall off the bone tender.  Actually, last night I put the pot (covered) in the oven, set the temp. for 325, timer for 3 hours, and it was perfectly done this morning.

-take hocks out of broth, set that aside, then remove all bone, fat and gristle from the meat.  Chop meat into small pieces, place into whatever container you want to have it in after it jells.  I have Corningware dishes with lids.   Don't fill more that 3/4.  

-Now, back to the finishing..................... Strain the broth and bring to a boil.  You may have more broth than you need, so figure out approximately how much liquid you need to cover the meat.  Add unflavoured gelatin(dissolved in cold water) for the broth to cover the meat with maybe an inch extra.  bring broth back to a boil and add some white vinegar.  If you taste the broth, it should taste quite vinegary.  

-Pour over the meat, refrigerate it for 6-8 hours (until set.)  If you have too much broth, save that to make some fabulous eggdrop soup with scallions.  Yumm. 

-Hubby liked it with more vinegar or mustard, I like just plain salt.  We would eat it either as a sandwich or with home fries.

139February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:19 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thank you. The head cheese I have seen in the deli usually has globs of white and very dark mystery items.

Like this:

http://www.clovegarden.com/recipes/gam_headchz1.html

140February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:13 pm

Niagara Visitor

Definitely nothing  mysterious in mine.  But, you will not be able to slice it as thinely as the stuff in the deli.

141February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

At least I know what the mystery meat is - pig head. I guess the white stuff is fat. I prefer your version. Eating a pig head might be good but I'll pass. Trotters are ok.

142February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:00 am

Niagara Visitor

As is the way things were made "in the olden days" so it is with "headcheese."  In German it is called "Suelzte" which basically means anything jellied.  

My mom and dad made something similar on pig slaughtering day. As with lots and lots of not so affluent people, when someone killed a pig, the village came to get a pot full of broth from the big soup kettle.  Bits and pieces of meat went into the pot, and some were used to make something called "Pressmagen" They filled the cleaned up stomach of the pig with those bits and pieces.  I don't know how it was finished, but calling it pressmagen indicates to me that somehow there was pressing it down involved.  I remember it looking basically like a flattened loaf of bread and then being sliced. I loved it.  I think the gelatenous properties of pork fat made it like the headcheese we know.  Maybe the pig's head was in that cauldron on the fire outside.  Must ask my sister who is 2 years older than I.

7:00 a.m. now, off to go to my volunteering at the hospital coffee shop............. Almost like B&B breakfast, only I don't get paid.

143February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Niagara, and Bugster,

Tina and Jimmy make a variation of this. Tina uses pigs feet. Jimmy does help, with the process. I will let Jimmy explain what he does to the toesies...

My Dad loved Pigs Feet-- in english.. It is also a Polish dish called, I cannot spell it, but I will try,
Tzishm de Nogie... translated, pickled pigs feet.

My aunt used to always make it. My mom did it several times..
Something like this: Boil pigs feet in a pot, with bay leaves, whole peppercorns. I do not know if onion or garlic was added.

It was served cold, and formed a Jello-type thing.

My dad loved eating this with plain white vinegar and a pumpernickel bread.. He loved sucking on the bones!!!

My mom and I found it gross. My dad grew up on it, so it was a favorite of his.

The boiling of the bones, cartilage, is the basis of Gelatin.. who would have known.

144February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:42 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

My mother was from Texas and used to make smoked ham hocks and beans with cornbread and green onions to chomp on. That is where I learned to love pig's feet. My sisters wouldn't touch it but I thought it was very good. She used yellow butterbeans. Someone used to make a canned version. I think it was Gebhart's (spell?). Not bad for a canned version with a little doctoring (my mother's term). When she passed and I was cleaning out the house and brought home the food, my BIL caught sight of the can of beans and gave me hell about it. It was years before he stopped doing it. What a snob! He thought only white trash and African-Americans ate food like that. The jerk. If he was only half as smart as he thought he was he would realize that it was a regional dish and true gourmands could appreciate it.

145February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was the neighborhood Ladies' Lunch Day ~ we went to a Japanese Hibachi Grill for lunch. I never ceases to amaze me how much they enjoy these lunch outings.

Dane went to a late lunch after his afternoon golf match.

So, no supper here tonight. I'll probably have an apple or some crackers & cream cheese later....maybe not. Right now I'm not hungry in the least.

146February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried a recipe called Steak Cutlets Caprese. I used cube steaks. I made some old fashioned Southern white gravy just in case. It was good but I doubt I will make it again. At lest not with cube steaks. Also it was not a good idea to use store bought tomatoes at this time of the year.February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 20180228

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

147February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:30 pm

Niagara Visitor

cookingirl wrote:Niagara, and Bugster,

Tina and Jimmy make a variation of this. Tina uses pigs feet. Jimmy does help, with the process. I will let Jimmy explain what he does to the toesies...

My Dad loved Pigs Feet-- in english.. It is also a Polish dish called, I cannot spell it, but I will try,
Tzishm de Nogie... translated, pickled pigs feet.

My aunt used to always make it. My mom did it several times..
Something like this: Boil pigs feet in a pot, with bay leaves, whole peppercorns. I do not know if onion or garlic was added.

It was served cold, and formed a Jello-type thing.

My dad loved eating this with plain white vinegar and a pumpernickel bread.. He loved sucking on the bones!!!

My mom and I found it gross. My dad grew up on it, so it was a favorite of his.

The boiling of the bones, cartilage, is the basis of Gelatin.. who would have known.

I think that I may have mentioned before that although my family history is German, there were about 150 years in  which my ancestors were in various parts of Russia, and particularly Romania. (look up German settlements at the time of Czar Peter and Catharine the Great)  But, I digress.  I have two books of this history.  One is a cookbook in which I found today a recipe for something called Chaladez/Suelze or the modern equivalent of headcheese.  I know someone from Bulgaria who recognized the "Chaladez" as something that his mother used to make also, and the name was very similar.  So All I am saying is that there is so much shared within our countries, ethnicities and that I am so grateful for all of it.

148February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dad and Mom made the Italian version ..... Pigs Parts called Suetsu.
It was lips / ears / feet / tails / .... lots of garlic cloves, and boiled for hours slowly.
They added vinegar and stored it in a clay glazed crock. They kept it in the cold cellar

We as kids did not eat it. We ran like heck when mom and dad sucked on that suet.

Tina makes pigs feet and hocks. I burn them on the grill to be sure there are no bristles .The darker the burned feet, the better taste.
lots of garlic cloves, and peppercorns. She boils them for like 6 hours. Then she cools it down; separates the bones and portions them in bowls and kept cold till they jell!

Today.... all pork aside ....and meat, ( we don't eat meat on fridays during Lent.)
We had good ole pirogi's with fried onions in butter. Sour cream to eat them with too!
Now I will make a snack with salami on rye! Ummmm!

149February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I bought some hardwood charcoal and a chimney starter can today.....First time to use the hardwood instead of Kingsford Charcoal Briquettes. That's what I always bought years ago. For some reason when Dane picked up a bag of charcoal he got the 'Easy Light' kind ~ FULL of lighter fluid.....YUCK!

We used it ONCE but that was enough for me. Even though I allowed it to get completely ash grey it still gave that slight taste of petroleum. I didn't say anything but I wasn't happy with it.

Hopefully tonight's grilling will go better.....

150February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 Empty Re: February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I am so happy I haven't lost 'my touch' cooking over charcoal. The marinated London Broil came off the grill perfectly cooked, with a really tasty 'crust' and pink inside. I par-cooked some Yukon Gold potatoes in the microwave before letting them finish up over the coals. Dane planted his Sugar Snap Peas too close together and wanted me to 'thin them out' a bit so I snipped them, washed them and steamed the stems & leaves with a few frozen sweet peas ~ roughage for the gut, to be sure, but really quite tasty. Rounded out the meal with a big bowl of the Sweet Kale Salad kit from Sam's Club ~ a favorite for both of us.

February 2018; Whats for Dinner?? - Page 6 02_24_11

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum