Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 12]

151What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:That would be a plan but I'm leaving for the weekend to go to Dane's 50th High School Class Reunion tomorrow morning.  

Cool, Beth. I remember you said you two got married really young so I wondered if you went to the same high school? Just wondering if you knew any of the people you would be seeing there. Have you and Dane been regular attendees at prior reunions when you lived in OH, or is this the first one he's gone to in many years? I think it's nice when people had a nice high school experience and really want to go back and see the people they knew back then but I just didn't have that good of an experience nor did I really like the school I went to. I got a good education there, which I appreciated -- still do -- but I went to school with a lot of wealthy kids (and my family wasn't wealthy) and you could definitely see the way the nuns kissed up to the wealthier ones. And of course, not all but some of the kids bragged about their father paying the monthly bill for the nuns at the neighborhood drug store, or the dry cleaner or Daddy bought them a van or something like that. One of the reasons my mom worked is so she could afford for us to go to Catholic schools for 12 years, as they weren't cheap and they hit you up for extra bucks ALL the time. I used to feel so bad when I had to go home and tell my poor mom I needed $10 for this, that or the other thing the school decided to take us to or required that we buy.

I think I mentioned before I only went to my 10th reunion after a girl I was still friends with conned me into going. I think I mentioned it here before. It was funny as I enjoyed seeing some of the people who I'd liked but the ones who were really witches in high school and who I disliked turned out to still be witches but were just 10 years older. So I never went to another one.

The school only sanctions the big ones (like 10, 25 and 50) and then someone volunteers to handle the details and the school is the location, usually the same time as the other reunions being held (the 10, 25 and 50th are all held at the same time each year). A couple of chicks (I went to an all girls Catholic school) arranged a 15-year reunion at a large restaurant not far from the school and I still regretted going to the 10-year reunion so I passed on that one as well. Turns out I really wish I would've gone as some of the women performed a little skit of some type on a makeshift stage and one girl in the audience hollered some crack out at one girl up on stage in the skit. I knew both of these women back then, as I was in the same homeroom and most classes with one of them and worked in the bookstore with another for an entire semester in my senior year; the former was from a very wealthy family and a bit of a snobby snot and the one I worked with was really funny and nice -- both of them were pretty girls, too, who had dated the same guy back in high school! I was told there were a couple of words exchanged back and forth between the two of them and I'm sure I would have enjoyed seeing that little mini-brawl!

Some things never change when large groups of women gather, I guess. Not really something I look forward to for any reason! Rolling Eyes

152What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crap, crap.....DOUBLE crap. Just when I was getting ready to leave it started to rain AGAIN. After 20 minutes I gave up the idea of Chinese food and just lightly warmed the leftover grilled rib eye from last night and turned it into a steak salad.

It was NOT what I was hungry for. I'm full but I'm NOT happy. What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 2787578702 What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 2787578702 What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 2787578702

153What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:

Cool, Beth.  I remember you said you two got married really young so I wondered if you went to the same high school? Just wondering if you knew any of the people you would be seeing there.

Yes, we've been married since I was 12....it was an arranged marriage and he didn't have a clue who he was dealing with! Hahahahahaha

We did NOT go to the same high school. He went to a fairly large 'city' school with a large class. I went to a 'country' school, mostly farm kids ~ a consolidation of 3 elementary school students into a central junior & high school campus. We started dating because I had been dating his best friend and the jerk backed out of taking me to my senior prom 2 weeks prior to the date.....said he had to help his sister move. (Yeah, if you believe that one I've got some property here in Florida I'd like to sell you.....) He mentioned to Dane what he had done and Dane took advantage of the situation and stepped forward, saving the day for me. My hero. I think Prom was in May and we were married the following January and he left for Army Basic Training in March. Yup, we were young, dumb and stupid.

We did go to his 25th HS Class Reunion. He didn't know a soul there. It was about as boring as it could be. But for some reason he wants to go to this one ~ probably to see if his classmates look old to him...... We've gone to a number of MY reunions, mainly because I was always on the reunion organizing committee. And because I had more close friends that I've stayed in touch with since high school, Dane knows MY classmates better than any of his. And my friends are nicer than his.......LOL

We did recently connect with his old 'best friend' (the jerk who stood me up so many years ago.......) and had lunch and got caught up. He and Dane worked together as well as being classmates. Poor Jim is now single, has been married 3 times (and to think I missed out on this 'catch') and lives a quiet life in the Tampa area. I don't think he has any children, either. He's not going to the reunion so Dane talked him into getting together to catch up.

154What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:38 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I spent half the afternoon making dog biscuits for Katie's dogs only to find out they won't eat them.

155What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I spent half the afternoon making dog biscuits for Katie's dogs only to find out they won't eat them.

Just leave them on a plate on the counter top and maybe Joe will eat them......

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 1838020472

156What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

My supper plating ( Uh! X2 ) and Tinas little bit that she ate 1/3 of it.
I love the tiny little meatballs.

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Img_0610
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Img_0611

157What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I want burgers tonight. I could go for a burger with cheese, and lettuce, tomato, and mayo. A hint of thinly sliced red onion too!

158What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:53 am

Niagara Visitor

I was away for a few days, ate too much of the wrong stuff, drank too much of the wrong stuff, but why does it all taste so good when you're with company???? Invited to a big BBQ tonight, so that's not helping much either. Tomorrow is pizza night here in our building. Sigh.

I went on a very restrictive "diet" (New way of eating) in January and lost 30 lbs........... if I keep this up, I'll find those pounds again. Darn it. Why is it so much easier to find it than to lose it??? Monday I will get back on that wagon I fell off. Can't afford to buy more, bigger clothes 'cause I gave the "fat clothes" away.

159What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I spent half the afternoon making dog biscuits for Katie's dogs only to find out they won't eat them.

Just leave them on a plate on the counter top and maybe Joe will eat them......

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 1838020472

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 2876911673             That's really would have happened at my house if I could've kept baking anything a secret, that is.  

Debbie, whatever prompted you to make dog biscuits, especially ones that took all afternoon?!

160What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:30 pm

NormM

NormM

maybe you can mix them in with some can dog food.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

161What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Yes, we've been married since I was 12....it was an arranged marriage and he didn't have a clue who he was dealing with!   Hahahahahaha

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 2876911673

Beth wrote:We did NOT go to the same high school. He went to a fairly large 'city' school with a large class.  I went to a 'country' school, mostly farm kids ~ a consolidation of 3 elementary school students into a central junior & high school campus.  We started dating because I had been dating his best friend and the jerk backed out of taking me to my senior prom 2 weeks prior to the date.....said he had to help his sister move.  (Yeah, if you believe that one I've got some property here in Florida I'd like to sell you.....)  He mentioned to Dane what he had done and Dane took advantage of the situation and stepped forward, saving the day for me.  My hero.  I think Prom was in May and we were married the following January and he left for Army Basic Training in March. Yup, we were young, dumb and stupid.

Maybe young and dumb ( Wink ) but obviously not stupid, since it's been a happy marriage! What a jerk the other guy was but I'm sure Dane was tickled pink when he backed out of taking you to your prom. So did Dane enlist or was he drafted, Beth? Just wondered how long he served and knew he'd be in longer if he enlisted.

Beth wrote:We did go to his 25th HS Class Reunion.  He didn't know a soul there.  It was about as boring as it could be.  But for some reason he wants to go to this one ~ probably to see if his classmates look old to him......  

Laughed, as at my sister's funeral, there were two of my HS classmates there (one I remained friends with, who also knew my sister, as she did printed pieces for Jan, who was an artist), and Karen, whose husband used to cut my sister's hair.  Jan smirked and asked if I would be making an appearance at the 50th reunion.  I laughed and said it depended on how good I looked in 2021 (and if I'm still alive!).  They agreed!

Beth wrote:We've gone to a number of MY reunions, mainly because I was always on the reunion organizing committee.  And because I had more close friends that I've stayed in touch with since high school, Dane knows MY classmates better than any of his.  And my friends are nicer than his.......LOL

Still being a suck up to the teachers, huh, Beth?  Am laughing over here, as I'd be the last person the school would want or would entrust to handle anything of that sort.

Beth wrote:We did recently connect with his old 'best friend' (the jerk who stood me up so many years ago.......) and had lunch and got caught up.  He and Dane worked together as well as being classmates.  Poor Jim is now single, has been married 3 times (and to think I missed out on this 'catch') and lives a quiet life in the Tampa area.  I don't think he has any children, either.  He's not going to the reunion so Dane talked him into getting together to catch up.

Man, Dane was one smart guy to step in and ask you to the prom. And you are one classy lady that you would agree to reconnect with that "friend" of his, Jim. But then I guess y'all all hung out together after Dane started dating you. Laughed at Jim being married three times and again showing he was no catch!!!

I hope you have fun at the reunion and that it's not too boring...

162What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:maybe you can mix them in with some can dog food.

Or she could take them to a shelter if there's one nearby.  Those poor pups would eat anything!

163What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I want burgers tonight. I could go for a burger with cheese, and lettuce, tomato, and mayo. A hint of thinly sliced red onion too!

I'd like that, too. Except I'd have mustard on the other side of the bun. Mmm. Sounded so good you've got me wanting a hamburger.

Wasn't feeling so hot today or yesterday. Today I only had an almond croissant for breakfast. Nothing since and don't really want anything. Yesterday too, just a bagel for breakfast. I don't feel BAD, just don't feel good. Not quite myself....

164What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I was away for a few days, ate too much of the wrong stuff, drank too much of the wrong stuff, but why does it all taste so good when you're with company???? Invited to a big BBQ tonight, so that's not helping much either.  Tomorrow is pizza night here in our building.  Sigh.

Happens to the best of us, Lori! Sometimes it's just plain worth it when you're having fun with friends.

Niagara Visitor wrote:I went on a very restrictive "diet" (New way of eating) in January and lost 30 lbs........... if I keep this up, I'll find those pounds again.  Darn it.  Why is it so much easier to find it than to lose it???  Monday I will get back on that wagon I fell off.  Can't afford to buy more, bigger clothes 'cause I gave the "fat clothes" away.  

I had to laugh, as you won't gain it all back, but we've all done that at least once or twice! Clothes that you can't grow out of were always a big motivator for me. Plus, I love clothes so growing out of some of my favorites would kill me. You'll do fine again, I'm sure. But I had to laugh at the BBQ invite quickly followed by pizza night -- when it rains, it pours.

165What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a Supposed to have  supper. It was supposed to be muscles in a garlic wine sauce, over linguini.  I gave up when I got a flash of heart burn.
Tina had a spaghetti sandwich on white wonder bread toast.
I settled for two white toast ( Burnt ) with butter, and a cup of tea.

166What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:59 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner tonight was spaghetti with meat sauce, salad and green beans.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 20170826

167What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:11 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Dinner tonight was spaghetti with meat sauce, salad and green beans.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 20170826

Really looks good Norm. Tina mommy just loves meat sauce. So do my kids. I will eat it, but I am more of a meatball kind of person.

168What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Haaaaa.... I'm just unwinding here. I just fried a pound of "Ugly-acon!"
What's that??.... It's delicious bacon that is cut ever so ugly. Tina got it at Weis Supermarket, vacuum sealed and all. The thing is, is that there are irregular slices. Thick ones, with thin ones,
and some pieces of lumpy globs, which are chewy and melt in your mouth deliciousness.
Tina and I just had bacon; layered on a slice of bread, and folded in half.
I was picking at the odd pieces as I fried it.
With Oscar Mayer Bacon at $9.99 a pound This did fine, and not as salty, for $3.29 a pound.
I better put this fried bacon away; before it disappears into my belly.

169What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:10 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Bacon is getting pretty expensive. I used to buy Oscar Mayer but then I discovered applewood smoked bacon and haven't looked back since. I buy either Farmland applewood or Wright's applewood. I get mine at Walmart for less than $9. I did notice a package of mystery bacon parts sold in a vacuum bag. Is that what you bought Jimmy? Those would be good to use in recipes that call for crumbled bacon. You wouldn't have to ruin a whole piece that way.

170What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:51 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Bacon is getting pretty expensive. I used to buy Oscar Mayer but then I discovered applewood smoked bacon and haven't looked back since. I buy either Farmland applewood or Wright's applewood. I get mine at Walmart for less than $9. I did notice a package of mystery bacon parts sold in a vacuum bag. Is that what you bought Jimmy? Those would be good to use in recipes that call for crumbled bacon. You wouldn't have to ruin a whole piece that way.

It was a no name; in a plain vacuum sealed plastic flat bag.
There were approx. 7 thick cut / 8 thin regular cut pieces / slices, and two 2 inch x 3/4 inch little hunks which by the way, fried up nice and soft, but crispy. There was a lot of lean meat, but not the slice of perfect bacon.

171What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:17 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I rescued 3 bananas before my husband threw them in the trash. I decided to make a banana cake. The recipe was a little odd: bake at 275 for 1 hour. In my oven, on the bake cycle it took 2 hours. POS. The cake turned out good but I discovered I no longer like the taste of bananas.

172What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We ate early supper.
Tina made Shepherds pie. Ground beef/ potatoes / gravy / mixed frozen veggies, and cheddar cheese on top. Good..... Tina is holding it down so far. I am full, and ready for a nap.

173What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

New York steak, grilled artichokes and loaded twice baked potatoes for dinner.

174What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 pm

NormM

NormM

This is an article written some years ago by a Kansas City native about how New York stole Kansas City's steak.  He wrote, ironically, for the New Yorker Magazine.

A Steak Through The Heart
By CALVIN TRILLIN

I have never stopped bragging about my old Missouri hometown, but there have always been boosters in Kansas City who thought I bragged about the wrong things--barbecue and the cow on the top of the American Hereford Association headquarters, for instance, instead of Continental restaurants and similarly sophisticated cultural attractions. I liked the motto Kansas City had when I was a boy: "The Heart of America." The boosters liked the motto "More Boulevards Than Paris, More Fountains Than Rome."

In the 1970s some of the boosters hired a New York City public relations firm to persuade people that Kansas City was not a cow town. They said I should quit harping on that American Hereford Association cow and that, contrary to what I kept claiming, its heart and liver do not light up at night.
Eventually they abandoned the campaign, but I suspect that they continued to avert their eyes when they passed the American Hereford Association building. Nobody thought the campaign had done any lasting damage; it's not easy, after all, to hurt the feelings of a cow. Then last week I read in the Wall Street Journal that the boneless sirloin known for decades as the Kansas City strip, a cut of meat invented in the Heart of America, is now on most steak-house menus as the New York strip--although in Kansas City outraged customers forced Ruth's Chris Steak House to correct the misnomer. In other words, once Kansas City had become accustomed to avoiding the subject of beef, New York snatched our steak.
Ironically, the news came just as I thought I'd reached a detente with the boosters on the subject of meat. Several years ago, I suggested dismantling one of the fountains and using the material to erect a monument to Henry Perry, who brought barbecue to Kansas City. Since I had just suggested that the airport, which they called Kansas City International, be named after Arthur Bryant, perhaps the most distinguished of Perry's spiritual descendants, and that a major Missouri River bridge be named for Chicken Betty Lucas, the legendary pan-fryer, some people thought my suggestion about the fountain was the last straw.
But last winter I went to the Chamber of Commerce banquet and explained that I had been misunderstood. It all depended on how many fountains there were, I said. I didn't want to dismantle a fountain if we had only one more fountain than Rome. I didn't want to lose the edge. I didn't want to arrive in Rome some day and find a sign saying, "Piu fontane di Kansas City."
Then came the bombshell from the Journal. One quote was particularly galling: a spokesman for the parent company of one steak-house chain--a company based in Wichita--said that his company's restaurants call a Kansas City strip a New York strip because "it's a more cosmopolitan name." Condescended to by someone from Wichita! That's what comes from turning against your own cattle. As we used to say in Kansas City--this was before they asked us to cut down on agricultural images--sooner or later the chickens all come home to roost.

175What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:13 pm

NormM

NormM

The cow he is talking about was in front of the American Hereford Association building.  The building was sold to another company and they took down the cow several years ago. Recently it was put up in another part of the city.  When you came into KCMo from the Kansas side of the river, it was the first thing you saw. Now it is overlooking Kemper Arena which was until recently the home of the American Royal which sponsor horse and cattle shows among other things.

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Thumb_10
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Herefo10
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 7 Thumb_11

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum