Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

1What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was putzing around most of the day, doing a bit of this & that.

Next thing I knew, I was starving and I had not started anything for my dinner. So, I jumped into my golf cart and went to TooJay's Restaurant for a Cabbage Roll w/bakery rye bread that I brought home and savored every bite!

2What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:25 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So far, the little Ms Tina, has a bunch of beans ( green beans ) cooking in tomato sauce and onions cooking on the stovetop!
She wants meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy for supper.

3What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Funny you should mention Ms. Tina, Jimmy. She's my inspiration for my supper today ~ I've been thinking of this meal all day!

I've got a small piece of pork steak (my favored pork product, especially favored instead of pork chops). I'm going to season and lightly flour it, brown it in my little cast iron skillet and then add some baby potatoes and onion wedges, add a splash of chicken stock and let the whole thing braise away in the 'a la Ms. Tina method'.......

Braised pork with flavorful potatoes & onions! YUM!

4What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Funny you should mention Ms. Tina, Jimmy.  She's my inspiration for my supper today ~ I've been thinking of this meal all day!

I've got a small piece of pork steak (my favored pork product, especially favored instead of pork chops).  I'm going to season and lightly flour it, brown it in my little cast iron skillet and then add some baby potatoes and onion wedges, add a splash of chicken stock and let the whole thing braise away in the 'a la Ms. Tina method'.......

Braised pork with flavorful potatoes & onions!  YUM!

Yeah! .... The day she made the boneless thighs with the onions and potatoes, I didn't eat it after the first bite. hahaha ...... The thigh's were stringy. Like pull apart beef or pork.
Tina didn't like it either. The outdoor animals ate it all up.

5What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, the method really does work well with the pork steak, however. I don't think you can braise chicken as long ~ it tends to dry out and get stringy (like you mentioned).

So, confession time:

I was SO hungry for that meal I decided to make it as a late-lunch-early-supper (one meal day) and I just got done eating it.

It was perfect! My mouth was oh, SO READY for the exact taste I got. I looked in the freezer for a veg and saw an opened bag of lima beans so that suited me just fine. I didn't even need the knife I put at my place at the table. The pork was so tender and moist ~ it didn't fall apart into mush but it just needed a little nudge with my fork to break into bite size pieces.

Tell Tina 'Thanks!' for me again for turning me on to that wonderful braising method with the flavorful potatoes and onions!

6What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:32 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Yeah, the method really does work well with the pork steak, however.  I don't think you can braise chicken as long ~ it tends to dry out and get stringy (like you mentioned).

So, confession time:

I was SO hungry for that meal I decided to make it as a late-lunch-early-supper (one meal day) and I just got done eating it.

It was perfect!  My mouth was oh, SO READY for the exact taste I got.  I looked in the freezer for a veg and saw an opened bag of lima beans so that suited me just fine.  I didn't even need the knife I put at my place at the table.  The pork was so tender and moist ~ it didn't fall apart into mush but it just needed a little nudge with my fork to break into bite size pieces.

Tell Tina 'Thanks!' for me again for turning me on to that wonderful braising method with the flavorful potatoes and onions!

You are right. Tina said the chicken with the bones, and the skin on, is the way to braise like that, and it will stay moist. The boneless thighs, were too dry.

7What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Mommy T made meatloaf , mashed potatoes, and Greek Beans.
( Beans olive oil, sauteed  onion, and cooked with tomato sauce. Salt after the beans are cooked )

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Img_0525

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Img_0526

8What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:08 pm

NormM

NormM

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 20170810

I did salmon with the sous vide. It turned out really good with a ginger/soy vinaigrette.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

9What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:31 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks Good Norm! .... Rice! I keep forgetting about making rice!
I love rice too! .....

10What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:56 pm

NormM

NormM

We have a rice cooker so it is easy to make rice here.

11What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:57 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's gonna be stuffed large shells from the frozen bag ;from Sam's Club. Jarred sauce from Sam's Club also! I like my own cheese filling. They just fill them with watery ricotta cheese, and parsley. Big Deal! ....

12What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I usually fill mine with ground beef, cream cheese & just a bit of ricotta....not a huge fan of plain ricotta ~ it doesn't feel good in my mouth (you know my aversion to cheese(s)

Actually, I'm really hungry for another stuffed cabbage ~ the ones I buy at the deli are delicious.

13What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:49 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:Funny you should mention Ms. Tina, Jimmy.  She's my inspiration for my supper today ~ I've been thinking of this meal all day!

I've got a small piece of pork steak (my favored pork product, especially favored instead of pork chops).  I'm going to season and lightly flour it, brown it in my little cast iron skillet and then add some baby potatoes and onion wedges, add a splash of chicken stock and let the whole thing braise away in the 'a la Ms. Tina method'.......

Braised pork with flavorful potatoes & onions!  YUM!

O.K. enlighten me, please. What is a pork steak and what is a chop???? I thought it was just two different names for the same cut of meat.

14What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:37 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:

O.K.  enlighten me, please. What is a pork steak and what is a chop???? I thought it was just two different names for the same cut of meat.

Pork steak is usually sliced from the pork shoulder or pork butt....slices of pork with much more 'fat pockets'. The pork chops come from the side / back with the rib bone often attached and has less fat and more dense meat.

I like the pork steaks for the fat content and the more tender meat as the fat renders out. When I braised my pork steak it came out moist and tender with a lot of pork-y flavor. If I try to braise a pork chop I usually end up with a bit of tender around the bone and then a hard 'hockey-puck' piece of the loin type meat that has no fat and just dries out. The farmers have worked so hard to produce a leaner, less fatty pork that I, personally, think they have lost all the flavor in the meat.

It's all personal taste. Dane prefers a 'boneless pork chop' which is nothing more than the solid muscle of a pork loin, which I find dry and tasteless.

To each their own!

15What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:59 am

Niagara Visitor

Thanks. I think we just call them shoulder chops, and the other loin chops. I have never seen any pork product labelled as "steak", although the Greeks I know call the chops 'steak". I just call them both delicious!

16What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:51 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, Tina called the shot. We watched the baby today, and when Jimmy & Sherrie came to pick him up after work, then T went over to Hong Kong Palace to buy pork ribs, pork fried rice, and egg rolls.
20 Bucks, and we ate like king and queen.

17What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight. This noon was a 'Ladies' Lunch' ~ complete with an afternoon cocktail.

I came home and just about fell asleep for a nice nap when the phone rang......and rang.....and rang.

Oh, well. There's plenty of time for sleepin' tonight.

18What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:15 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Hi all.. I need information for this cut of meat, are they tender? Can I slow braised them in wine and veggies? I need advice for this.. I'm cooking birthday dinner for my sister in-law and I want to cook it right, thank you

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Dscn7310

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Dscn7312

19What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Hi all.. I need information for this cut of meat, are they tender? Can I slow braised them in wine and veggies? I need advice for this.. I'm cooking birthday dinner for my sister in-law and I want to cook it right, thank you

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Dscn7310

Hi Imelda. Tina was a Meat Lady in the supermarkets, and she said they are a tender meat, only if they are braised slow and long enough to taste the firmness.
They are also known as a "Chuck Eye" steak. Cook like a pot roast. They make great stew meat.

20What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Imelda HL wrote:Hi all.. I need information for this cut of meat, are they tender? Can I slow braised them in wine and veggies? I need advice for this.. I'm cooking birthday dinner for my sister in-law and I want to cook it right, thank you

Hi Imelda. Tina was a Meat Lady in the supermarkets, and she said they are a tender meat, only if they are braised slow and long enough to taste the firmness.
They are also known as a "Chuck Eye" steak. Cook like a pot roast. They make great stew meat.  

Jimmy, thank you and thank Tina for the information, so I can slow braised them in wine and veggies, I'm going to start cooking them now.. I'll let you know how it turns out.. I bought them BOGO, buy one get one, so they will be enough for the 6 of us

21What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made Spicy Pineapple Chicken last night. New recipe for me. Very good. Sort of like a jerk or Moroccan chicken.

I am having trouble with green beans. Sometimes they cook fast and are nice and tender and other times they take forever to cook and are a bit stringy and still a bit tough. Is there a way to tell if the beans in the market are good or bad?

22What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:33 pm

NormM

NormM

Debbie, my mother would can green beans and when she gave me some, she would tell me the ones that needed long cooking. I can't tell you which ones they are though. When you get green beans, break off the stem end and if the string comes off with the stem, it is going to need to be stringed and probably cooked longer. Also look at the green bean skins, break one in half. It should snap and be crisp. They should be bright green. Older ones have tougher skin and if too old, actually need to be removed from the shell before cooking. My son and I like well cooked green beans and I almost always cook them for 45 minutes in salted simmering water with some onion and bacon.

23What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I would be hungry when I got home from exercise today at 1:00 p.m. so I got busy this morning and made some chicken salad with red grapes, Miracle Whip dressing (OK, so eat what YOU like....this is what I like) and some toasted pecans ~ some mixed in, some sprinkled over the top. Oh, and I used just a smidge of curry powder in the dressing ~ not enough to really know what it is but just a little shake.....and it was wonderful.

Maybe I was extra hungry after class, but it really, REALLY hit the spot!

Tonight I was planning to fry some chicken but decided to just let it brine until tomorrow since I was still fairly satisfied from my late lunch.

But I did want a little something.....hmmmmm, what to have? I decided to give the Bob Evan's refrigerated mashed potatoes a try ~ sometimes the convenience products really ARE convenient. And, I have to say, I wasn't disappointed in the flavor or texture.

So, for supper I had a serving of the BE mashed potatoes and some baby green peas (over the top, just like I like them!) and it was just what my mouth was hungry for.

We'll see how the fried chicken goes tomorrow after brining overnight in the refrigerator.

24What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Norm! Even after all these years, there is still so much about cooking that I don't know.

25What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:21 pm

NormM

NormM

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 20170813
Charlie and I went to Costco today. We mostly got non food items but I decided to pick up some rib eye steaks for dinner tonight.  They were two inches thick and it was rainy so I did them in a skillet until browned then finished in the oven. Also had roasted potatoes and candied carrots.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 20170811

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum