Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

26What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:47 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Nice steak dinner Norm.

We had sausage and peppers / potatoes.
Home made apple pie. Mrs. T made.
G O O D

27What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:54 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Jimmy

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

28What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:50 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Looks mighty fine Norm!

29What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Looks mighty fine Norm!

Deb. How's the stomach ( gastritis ) doing?

30What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:38 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Debbie.

31What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:41 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Things are better since I have been taking Protonix for acid reflux. Still can't eat any chili infused foods or anything with pepper and paprika. I may never be able to eat those things again. I have lost too much weight so I really can't do anything. I go to the grocery store and that is about it. I have to just sit and try and eat to put on weight.

32What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:56 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Things are better since I have been taking Protonix for acid reflux. Still can't eat any chili infused foods or anything with pepper and paprika. I may never be able to eat those things again. I have lost too much weight so I really can't do anything. I go to the grocery store and that is about it. I have to just sit and try and eat to put on weight.

Christine was doing great for two days, but today, she suffered. Too much spice she thinks. I have to look up that Protonix.
It is no good eating while under stress. When it is quiet, and Tina can eat slowly, she has less trouble.

33What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:10 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Gee, I hope Crybaby's OK in N.O.. Hope she didn't have flood damage. I was watching a man floating down a street on an air mattress when a woman waded up to him and handed him a beer. Another man was drinking a beer in a kayak. A group of people were sitting in the patio of a restaurant with water up to their hips tossing back a few.

34What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:38 pm

Niagara Visitor

My fridge needed a good cleaning/organizing, and a bunch of the contents have become a pot of ratatouille. peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, zuccini................ and a bag of mixed seafood added at the last. Calamari, mussels, baby octopus, shrimp. It's going to be a great lunch today, and tomorrow, and maybe the next day too!

35What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 06, 2017 3:19 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

08.06.2017 Plans what to eat, are cooking in the electric skillet.
I made pork medallions with honey and teriyaki seasoning from a pork tenderloin.
Added a couple carrots and peppers. I picked dutch noodles to eat with the pork.

36What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The meal....

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Img_0527

37What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:22 pm

NormM

NormM

The steaks we had last night were so thick, we each only had half so I made cheesesteak sandwiches with the leftovers. Now to figure out what to do with the leftover steak fixins.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 20170815
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 20170814

38What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:33 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Asian pork medallions on noodles......steak & pepper sub smothered in cheese.....both look fantastic!

I made my brined fried chicken ~ and it was almost inedible.  I must have used too much salt in the brine because, even after rinsing and drying the chicken, it was super salty.  And for me, that's a LOT of salt.

The crust was excellent and it was fried to a crispy crunch ~ but it got tossed after I ate one of the wings.  It was a good experiment and I learned from it so not all is bad.

I did like the crunch from the fry.  I used a/p flour, cornstarch, garlic powder & onion powder and did a double dredge using egg whites as the 'glue'.  I let the dredged pieces dry a bit before I fried in 325° peanut oil in the electric fry pan. I fried the chicken outside so the mess (there's always some mess when you're frying) and the smell wasn't in the house. It's the first time I've used my 'new-to-me' (tag sale purchase) electric skillet.  Thank goodness I used my Thermapen thermometer to check the temperature of the oil as the gauge on the electric skillet isn't calibrated quite to where the dial shows.  But once I played with the setting a bit I got the oil to stay at the temperature I wanted.

So, with just one chicken wing for my supper I ended up with a couple pieces of peanut butter toast about 8:00 when I decided I really wanted something more.  The toast and an apple was just right for a late 'supper'.

39What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Today was a 'Get Outta Dodge' day.....Lyn & I went to Orlando just 'because'.

What a fun time! Nothing we needed to do, nothing was scheduled ~ it was just go and look and stop where you want.

We ended up going to Florida Mall and did a lot of window shopping and had breakfast at a cute little French Bistro ~ yummy stuff. I mean, how can you go wrong with a freshly made croissant to have with your eggs?

Then a bit of shopping and looking and looking and shopping.

Then a stop for a mid-morning coffee and cookie at a little bakery.

Off to Trader Joe's for a stroll around the aisles. It's amazing how less crowded it is on a mid-day Monday than on the Fridays we're usually there. I got some more jazz apples (from New Zealand ~ super crunchy and sweet), another package of the coffee chocolates I like to keep in the spare refrigerator. Somehow when Jake was here my supply disappeared!

We wanted to go to a little place next door to Trader Joe's but found they didn't open until 4 p.m. today so we googled an Asian grocery in the area and killed an hour walking around there. I was the only one to make a purchase....got some squash (kabuta and butternut), a nice fresh dikon radish (I love the crunch....eat it for a snack) and I found the same brand Korean BBQ Kalbi Marinade I found at the Asian Market in Ocala....but this place had larger bottles for only $5.49. I can make Norm's recipe but this stuff is really good, we like it, and I use it for so many things. Jake tried it when he was here and loved it as a dipping sauce for his chicken tenders that he ate almost daily.

So, after 4 we drove back to the Slate Restaurant and just ordered off the 'Happy Hour' menu. Lyn ended up with a small (6 oz.) burger that was loaded with cheese, onion straws and bacon and came with a good sized 'house' salad for $10 ~ a deal! I wanted to try their Bao Buns with crispy pork belly, house made pickles & carrots and drizzled with hoisen sauce. The order came with 2, not too large, but really tasty. I asked for them to be made WITHOUT the cilantro and there wasn't a problem at all.

We had a good time chatting with our waiter, teased him about being cranky old women and really just enjoyed our time there.

Then it was time to drive home and our day was done.

40What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

When it rains it pours. Two months ago we had a slab leak and had to make an insurance claim. Today we discovered that the shower has been leaking for some time. It was leaking out from under the wall on to the carpet but we couldn't see it because the dresser was covering it. I think the carpet may be ruined. One support leg of the dresser is rotted. The drywall has bubbled. I don't think we can find matching tile for the shower so we might have to have everything torn out which will cost a fortune. I don't know if this type of thing is covered by insurance. If it is and we do make a claim, most likely our insurance is going to be cancelled. I don't know if we can get coverage anywhere else. It will also be high. Katie's cat pissed-up the carpet in the bathroom which I am treating with Stink-Free with no success so I am sure the carpet will have to be torn out. It would be one thing if we had the money, but we don't. I think I will just sell the house as-is.

Hot dogs tonight. I am in no mood to cook at all.

41What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:24 pm

NormM

NormM

Sorry about your problems Debbie. We are having water in the basement when it rains hard. We built up the slope away from the house on one side and it helped but the concrete patio on the other side is cracked and sloping toward the house. Our neighbor who is a contractor said we should take out our back porch and tear up the concrete and landscape the ground there too.

Beth your day sounds like a day I'd enjoy a lot.

42What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was Soup. Tina made beef ( little meatballs ) and vegetables soup with spinach.
Kluski noodles. DD brought over pumpkin bread and zucchini bread that she made.

It rained here all day. It's damp and cool.

43What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:55 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Gosh, Debbie....it's just one thing on top of another for you. I hope you can find a way to remedy the problems. Water can really cause a lot of problems that can go unnoticed for a long time.

We've had a lot of summer rains here lately ~ 3" last night. Fortunately for us, within half an hour or so of it stopping the standing water is gone and we're 'back-to-normal'. It's nothing like the days of rain we had in Ohio that seemed to go on for days and days and then we'd have standing water in the yard and around the house for days on end. I can remember Dane having to adjust the sump pump under the house so the water would drain from under the house.

I'm hoping this rain doesn't put a damper on Michelle's remodeling in New Orleans. It seems she just got started when the summer rains started pouring down. I don't think she's in a 'flood zone' but nonstop rain doesn't make it easy to get work done.

44What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:01 am

NormM

NormM

There have been flash floods here in the KC area. Indian Creek flooded and stranded people in Coaches Bar and Grill. I-35 was closed for a time. Brush Creek, Turkey Creek and Blue River flooded. There were two horses in a pasture in the Southern part of KC that went missing after that area went 10 feet under water.

45What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:13 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Norm, your cheese steak  sandwich looks good, I'm going to make it some time, I usually put my leftover steak on a flour tortilla and added some cheese on it, next time I'm going to make sandwich with it

Last month, the starting of monsoon in our area, we had a lot of flash flood, many houses/subdivisions got flooded, cars got stranded on highway, beside flood, we got dust storm a lot.. the most tragic one was  flash flood on a picnic area that killed 9 family members there, so sad.. and there were many news about hikers got stranded on the mountain because of the flood.

We went out for a hike one time and were very cautious for where we hiked, we avoided creek and lower area, it was quite exciting, we got rain, mud and got lost in the middle of nowhere, but fortunately we got back on the trail, it was a bit scary for me, but Dirk and our hiking buddy were excited with that experience Rolling Eyes

here is the story about the flash flood near the trail we like to hike

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2017/07/16/payson-flash-flood-results-four-deaths/482805001/

46What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Indian  Creek flooded and stranded people in Coaches Bar and Grill.

and the 'down side' to this story is??????

(Sorry ~ it just struck me as funny..........I mean, if you have to be stranded somewhere, why NOT at a bar & grill?)

47What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:45 pm

NormM

NormM

It would have been OK if they could just stay there until the water went down but they had to get on the roof and be rescued by boat. I heard that the place was not going to reopen.

48What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh.....well, THAT turns it into a completely DIFFERENT thing ~ not funny at all.

Supper tonight was an egg salad sandwich and a container of yogurt. How's THAT for an un-inspiring meal plan?

49What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:27 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Checked with my insurance people about the leak. It is covered BUT if I make another claim I will be cancelled and finding another insurance co to cover me will be next to impossible. Nice. What the hell do you have insurance for?

I opened my recipe software today and an automatic update was installed. It wiped out my software and I lost all of my recipes. I looked into my external harddrive thinking my backup was there. Nope. All that was backed up was pictures. Found some folders in my documents area but can't open them because I don't have an app. I guess it means my software. I contacted the company but I don't know what they can do about the recipe loss. I wasn't using their Cloud service because it cost $7/mo which I thought was too expensive and I also thought my external was storing my recipes.

As I said - when it rains it pours.

50What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:Norm, your cheese steak  sandwich looks good, I'm going to make it some time, I usually put my leftover steak on a flour tortilla and added some cheese on it, next time I'm going to make sandwich with it

Last month, the starting of monsoon in our area, we had a lot of flash flood, many houses/subdivisions got flooded, cars got stranded on highway, beside flood, we got dust storm a lot.. the most tragic one was  flash flood on a picnic area that killed 9 family members there, so sad.. and there were many news about hikers got stranded on the mountain because of the flood.

We went out for a hike one time and were very cautious for where we hiked, we avoided creek and lower area, it was quite exciting, we got rain, mud and got lost in the middle of nowhere, but fortunately we got back on the trail, it was a bit scary for me, but Dirk and our hiking buddy were excited with that experience Rolling Eyes

here is the story about the flash flood near the trail we like to hike

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona/2017/07/16/payson-flash-flood-results-four-deaths/482805001/

What a shame! God Bless them! No

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum