Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017

+4
Bugster2
cookingirl
Imelda HL
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 12]

101What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the recipe sounds good but I don't understand why they brined the pork BEFORE pounding it. The brine seeps into the muscle tissue to keep it moist. I would think, even with the 'drying', it would turn into a splatery mess (that's a technical cooking term, don't you know?).

So I would have pounded the chops thin and then brined and finally dried and dredged. JMO ~ for what it's worth.

Michelle, you ought to make 'tenderloin' sandwiches for Brian some time ~ a midwest specialty sandwich. Mystery pork meat (I can't believe they actually use pork tenderloin) is pounded to about 1/4" ~ super thin ~ and then it's breaded and deep fried. It ends up about the size of a dinner plate. It then gets put on a regular size hamburger bun (with the breaded meat frizbee hanging out all around) and a couple pickles. There are places in Ohio & Indiana that advertise having 'The BEST' Pork Tenderloin.....an acquired taste, to be sure! LOL

BTW ~ It's good to have you back. Your posts lasted through 3 cups of coffee this morning and half a jug of tea this afternoon......Thanks!

102What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:Does anyone know how to use "citation multiple" when replying to a message?  I've tried many times and again today, to no avail.  

I'm encountering a couple of problems here and I guess it's my computer.  Usually, when I want to quote a paragraph of someone's message, I highlight it and copy it, and then paste it into a new message.  Then I highlight it and use the quote button (the little cloud in the fourth "box" to the far right in the top line when you're responding), and up comes a box where I can type in the name of the person I'm quoting; after typing in the person's name, I would just hit INSERT and it would surround the quote with the coding that added the name of the person and then ended the quote.  NOW when I use it, it doesn't surround the quote like it used to do, but rather puts the two "codes" at the end of the blurb I'm quoting.  I can, of course, and have been just copying the first code and plopping it in front of the blurb I'm quoting but wondered if it was doing that to any of you who use that feature.  It might just be FRESH HELL from this computer I'm still dealing with.

Just now when I posted that recipe and went to use BOLD and increase the font size of the recipe name, the codes also appeared at the end of the highlighted text instead of surrounding it like it used to be.  Same problem but with different "codes" being used.  

Was curious if anyone else was encountering these problems.

Plus I've always wanted to know how to use the multi-quote feature (named "citation multiple") so I can quote several of you in one response.

OK, this is a test......Michelle, to get your post to be included in this (my) post, I simply clicked on quote and it came up in a new post box and I can add my post. If I only want to use part of your post, like if I don't want to repeat your pictures or something nasty you have to say about me.....I simply highlight and 'delete', being careful not to delete the [quote] command at the end. As for "citation multiple", I think that's something that has changed. I used a different command word that was there to have multiple 'quotes' show up in my post but it doesn't work the same now. ((It is so awful to be such a non-techy person.))

So, since we don't have a limit on the amount of time you spend here on the forum, just quote each of us separately. You have my permission.......

Hahahahahahahaha

103What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Speaking of pickles and pickle-juice....

Jimmy, I have been after Brian for YEARS now to try a teaspoon of pickle juice per your suggestion prior to going to bed at night as he really suffers with cramps (Charlie horses) in his legs, feet, toes and sometimes hands at night.  Gets them sometimes 10 times in a night (I'm the insomniac next to him, reading, watching TV and/or reading or typing on my computer while he's sleeping and constantly waking up with horrible cramps).  

A couple of months ago, I emptied a jar of pickles and left it on the island and told him to try a teaspoonful.  He didn't but instead transferred the pickle juice to a nice little Tupperware pint-sized cup and put it back in the fridge.  I bugged him over and over but that was as far as he got.  Last week before I headed upstairs after dinner (we go UPSTAIRS early due to back pain so we tackle our steep stairs before we're absolutely dead tired, but then watch TV, read or 'pute for hours before going to sleep), I took out the pickle juice cup, put a teaspoon on top and told him he'd have trouble forgetting to try a teaspoon since he'd have to put his glass right there to fill up with raspberry tea prior to coming upstairs for the evening.  Hallelujah, as he actually took TWO teaspoons of pickle juice prior to coming up that night.

The first night, he had NO Charlie horses at all. Forgot to take it the next night but only had one cramp.  I quickly realized the only way sieve-brain was going to remember was if I put the pickle juice out each night with the spoon on top, which I have been doing pretty regularly.  Well, he's been doing it about a week now and HE IS OVER THE MOON, as you were CORRECTAMUNDO and he is now sleeping soundly without a single cramp!  Even when he forgets, he may get one cramp or maybe none, so it the effect must be cumulative.  

Anyway, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, King Jimmy!  If only Brian would've tried it years ago when you first mentioned it, he could've slept well a long time ago!  If anyone here has a problem with Charlie horses, you've GOT to try this easy and CHEAP home remedy.  Brian can't wait to tell all his doctors about it!  I'm going to tell my cardio/pulmonary hypertension doc about it, too, as lots of people with PH on this I.V. medication have leg cramps as a side effect (not me, though)!  

Again, Jimmy, I owe you a sincere heartfelt thank you as the poor man deserves a good night's sleep (particularly after not only doing so much for me every day but also for putting up with me, too)!  You're THE BOMB as the kids say!

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 2453703928

104What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:25 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Last night we had London Broil again (Brian picked up a pretty one about 1-1/2 lbs. at the Px and it was only $3.59/lb. which is cheap compared to the grocery store, where it usually runs about $5.99/lb.). It's my latest "food crave," as just think it tastes so BEEFY!

I cooked it on the stovetop grill in the middle of my stove (which stove I'm still in love with and the 18 months interest free deal I got will be all paid up in November!) like we did last time. I cooked it at a pretty high heat for 5 minutes on each side and then browned the edges of it for about a minute or less for each edge (it wasn't a true rectangle so this took several tries to brown the edges while I held it up on its edge with a large pair of tongs we use on the Weber); was shooting for 125 but my Thermapen showed the middle to be up to 133 so I was worried I overcooked it. Nah, I sliced it after a six minute rest and it was a PERFECT medium rare that Brian okayed as well. Not only was it gorgeous but delicious, too.

I made a mushroom cream sauce with 6 oz. of fresh button mushrooms (looks like they cut the package from 8 oz. to 6 oz. now I guess in lieu of charging more) and about a half-ounce of dried porcini mushrooms that I reconstituted with hot chicken broth). I forgot to add the minced shallots I planned on using but with heavy cream and some fresh thyme leaves, it was really tasty and the perfect thickness, too. I like to use minced shallots to begin most of my sauces but I threw this entire meal together in the span of 30 minutes so the shallots slipped my mind!

I boiled some bucatini until it was almost al dente, drained it and put it right in the saucepan with the mushroom sauce and a bit of the water clinging to the pasta and let that blend up for a bit.

I had two little pint baskets of grape tomatoes I needed to use up so I made some pan roasted grape tomatoes; if they were cherry tomatoes, I'd have cut them in half but I left these whole and they were delicious. A super way to use up cherry tomatoes if you have a lot of them growing in the yard, which we did until the rain started coming down CONSTANTLY since June -- everything is water soaked and looks terrible, including my succulents which Brian has been covering and uncovering almost daily with painter's tarp. He knew I was worried about them and since we have no outdoor storage or any place to put all my pots filled with them out of the rain. So he put all the pots of them together in the middle of the deck and put some plastic tomato cages among the pots so they hold the tarp up from laying on the plants themselves. Pretty clever guy I've got! They're not looking super due to lack of sun but they're hanging in there so far.

It really was a nice dinner and Brian told me this morning he's looking forward to leftovers tonight. We love leftovers but both Brian and I are impressed with how Beth cooks a new meal almost every night and she and Dane rarely have leftovers. No wonder you're at a loss sometimes as to what to cook, Beth, as you have a lot more dinners to dream up than we do due to leftovers.

105What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I fried up a burger patty and melted some cheese on top. Made the mistake of using some ketchup for dipping and now I have heartburn.

Joe and Katie are at the Hollywood Bowl tonight. They are seeing Diana Krall. Talented woman but not my kind of music so as usual I stayed home.
I spent the morning trying to get an Apple I.D. for Joe. I finally had to call Apple. Got it done though. Last night, after Joe and Katie tried for a couple of hours to get a Lyft app on her phone, I managed to do it 10 minutes. I don't know what the problem was. I think they were trying to get it on her laptop.

Debbie, do you ever mind that Joe and Katie go out often while you stay behind at home? I know you have food and digestion issues which I presume keeps you from going with them to the many restaurants they seem to try, but wondered if trips to concerts, the beach, etc. without you ever make you feel left behind. I hope this is not too personal a question to ask but since you said "as usual" above and since I've wondered about it many times, I figured I'd just go ahead and ask. You're probably a lot more mature than I am about it but it would tend to bother me especially if I needed a new stove or something where the money used to go out could be used for. I admire you for it, trust me, as I know I'd be a whiney person about both time and money being spent without me along to enjoy the spoils! If this is too personal, please just ignore it and act as if it was never even asked, okay? Embarassed

106What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I'm on my way to my fishermen sons to pick up some fresh Lake Erie Pickerel............. they caught their limit, 9 each.  That's a lot of fish!  Yumm!

And a yum from me as well, Lore. Nothing like fresh fish, especially for poor little me who lives with a guy who doesn't like seafood. I've never had pickerel but it must be close to another fish we have down here.

I googled it to see and read an article written by a female Canadian fisherman about Canadians often calling walleye pickerel -- so what say you in that regard, Lore? For the record, I've never had walleye or pickerel but have had pike and this article said pickerel is a member of the pike family, whereas walleye is the largest member of the perch family, can weigh over 20 pounds, varies in color, tastes delicious, and is found in most of Canada and northern U.S. This article was written in 2015 and it said there was an actual movement among fishing aficionados to give the walleye its proper name. I had to laugh as it sounds like something that would go on here in Louisiana -- with some swearing it would "always be pickerel to me" versus the "you wrong, it's walleye" group!

Have you heard of this discussion before and if so, which way do you lean, Missy?!!!

The article served to make me hungry for fish, any old kind of fresh fish. I'm so jealous especially since you probably get it all nicely cleaned and ready to cook from your darling fishermen sons!

107What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

With all the talk about salads (in the other thread) I used it as my inspiration for my supper. I was at a total loss for an idea prior to reading the posts. I threw together the salad part of an Applebee's Oriental chicken salad ~ and cheated on the chicken part. I got in my golf cart and just got home with two hot chicken tenders from the Publix deli. I spent time this morning cleaning the cooktop of the stove and I just didn't want to fry a little chicken and let it get all splattered up again!

So, supper tonight will be Beth's Oriental Chicken Salad, cheater style!

108What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Beth, I used a curry powder. Today I used the one in the bag but usually use the one in the jar.  The cake did turn out tasting good.  Charlie said he really likes it and it is perfect with vanilla ice cream.

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 20170821

Norm, I haven't even had time to compliment your stuffed shells Mexicano that looked absolutely divine and here you are again delighting all of us with your pork curry and a delicious looking chocolate cake.  

I love curry but I surely do wish people packaging or jarring curry powders would state what type of curry is packaged so I can educate myself about the different types.  I usually like all of them but there are some I've liked better than others.  When I went to order some from a good spice house, I got so confused by the different types and not knowing which was which, I didn't order any.  My mom wasn't a fan of curry so I didn't have it until I was out of the house for a couple of years.  Loved it right away.  Has that warming kind of feeling that I just love.  I think I have that same bottle of Spice Islands curry, Norm, along with another spice maker's jar, also just called curry!

Did you find the imported curry in the bag any different or better than the jarred curry, Norm?

109What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Speaking of pickles and pickle-juice....

Jimmy, I have been after Brian for YEARS now to try a teaspoon of pickle juice per your suggestion prior to going to bed at night as he really suffers with cramps (Charlie horses) in his legs, feet, toes and sometimes hands at night.  Gets them sometimes 10 times in a night (I'm the insomniac next to him, reading, watching TV and/or reading or typing on my computer while he's sleeping and constantly waking up with horrible cramps).  

A couple of months ago, I emptied a jar of pickles and left it on the island and told him to try a teaspoonful.  He didn't but instead transferred the pickle juice to a nice little Tupperware pint-sized cup and put it back in the fridge.  I bugged him over and over but that was as far as he got.  Last week before I headed upstairs after dinner (we go UPSTAIRS early due to back pain so we tackle our steep stairs before we're absolutely dead tired, but then watch TV, read or 'pute for hours before going to sleep), I took out the pickle juice cup, put a teaspoon on top and told him he'd have trouble forgetting to try a teaspoon since he'd have to put his glass right there to fill up with raspberry tea prior to coming upstairs for the evening.  Hallelujah, as he actually took TWO teaspoons of pickle juice prior to coming up that night.

The first night, he had NO Charlie horses at all. Forgot to take it the next night but only had one cramp.  I quickly realized the only way sieve-brain was going to remember was if I put the pickle juice out each night with the spoon on top, which I have been doing pretty regularly.  Well, he's been doing it about a week now and HE IS OVER THE MOON, as you were CORRECTAMUNDO and he is now sleeping soundly without a single cramp!  Even when he forgets, he may get one cramp or maybe none, so it the effect must be cumulative.  

Anyway, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, King Jimmy!  If only Brian would've tried it years ago when you first mentioned it, he could've slept well a long time ago!  If anyone here has a problem with Charlie horses, you've GOT to try this easy and CHEAP home remedy.  Brian can't wait to tell all his doctors about it!  I'm going to tell my cardio/pulmonary hypertension doc about it, too, as lots of people with PH on this I.V. medication have leg cramps as a side effect (not me, though)!  

Again, Jimmy, I owe you a sincere heartfelt thank you as the poor man deserves a good night's sleep (particularly after not only doing so much for me every day but also for putting up with me, too)!  You're THE BOMB as the kids say!

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 2453703928

Oh Lord! Thank you for answering the prayers, and helping Brian and Mitchelle in Brian's pain with leg cramps!
With the help of sweet Jesus, and the saints in heaven, Please look upon this couple with help for them. They are good people, and love you, as they love each other.

For Tina, I bought leg cramp medicine ( all natural ) and made by the Amish in Lancaster, PA. I am the emergency EMT that rescues Tina from massive cramps in her legs and thighs and feet. I put two cap fulls in a mouth full of juice, and get her to drink it down.
Within 2 minutes....the cramps disappear. When she is in cramps, she cannot talk, move, or breath right. It's awful. The three cats are watching her go spastic, and they are looking at me to stop it. I'm like yelling at them, "What the heck do you want me to do?" "Whip her with a stick because she is disturbing you?"

110What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:24 pm

NormM

NormM

Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:Beth, I used a curry powder. Today I used the one in the bag but usually use the one in the jar.  The cake did turn out tasting good.  Charlie said he really likes it and it is perfect with vanilla ice cream.

What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 20170821

Norm, I haven't even had time to compliment your stuffed shells Mexicano that looked absolutely divine and here you are again delighting all of us with your pork curry and a delicious looking chocolate cake.  

I love curry but I surely do wish people packaging or jarring curry powders would state what type of curry is packaged so I can educate myself about the different types.  I usually like all of them but there are some I've liked better than others.  When I went to order some from a good spice house, I got so confused by the different types and not knowing which was which, I didn't order any.  My mom wasn't a fan of curry so I didn't have it until I was out of the house for a couple of years.  Loved it right away.  Has that warming kind of feeling that I just love.  I think I have that same bottle of Spice Islands curry, Norm, along with another spice maker's jar, also just called curry!

Did you find the imported curry in the bag any different or better than the jarred curry, Norm?

The two smelled the same. I am not very knowledgeable about curry. I only have it once every few years. I got the curry at the Asian store because I was afraid the bottle was getting too old. I have read that it is best to cook the curry in some butter before adding it to a dish. That's about all I know except that I like the taste but don't have it very often.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

111What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:OK, this is a test......Michelle, to get your post to be included in this (my) post, I simply clicked on quote and it came up in a new post box and I can add my post.  If I only want to use part of your post, like if I don't want to repeat your pictures or something nasty you have to say about me.....I simply highlight and 'delete', being careful not to delete the quote command at the end.  As for "citation multiple", I think that's something that has changed.  I used a different command word that was there to have multiple 'quotes' show up in my post but it doesn't work the same now.  ((It is so awful to be such a non-techy person.))  

So, since we don't have a limit on the amount of time you spend here on the forum, just quote each of us separately.  You have my permission.......

Hahahahahahahaha

Thanks for taking a crack at assisting me, Beth, but of course I know how to use the basic quote feature. You big loo loo!  Rather than try to delete everything I don't want repeated, particularly when I don't want the 4 photos to print again since they may be up there quoted 3 or 4 times already, it's a lot faster and easier to copy the couple of lines I want to quote from a person's message and use the quote feature from the little cloud symbol when replying.  That way I don't end up deleting something I wanted to keep or part of the code 'cause all I needed to copy was the verbiage itself.  It worked for years and surrounded the text I highlighted with the code with a person's name, as I typed it. For example, if I quoted "Uncle Jimmy," I could just type in "Jimmy" when using that feature and it would be quoted by Jimmy and not Uncle Jimmy.  Same thing when bolding something already typed, or any edit of the features you want applied to existing type.  Just wondered if it was doing that when someone tries to use BOLD on existing type by highlighting it and clicking bold.  Anyone?

Same thing with your name when I'd use the cloud symbol to quote someone's text -- I'd type in "Beth" and not "Bethk" so it would quote it using Beth instead of Bethk.  Did you never see that and wonder how someone got Beth in there when quoting you instead of Bethk?  I used to be a proofreader years ago so I notice tons of stuff like that.

Yeah, I think "citation multiple" used to say "multiple quotes," but I never could figure out how to use that either!

Anyone else use the "cloud" quote feature, or "citation multiple"?  If so, please step up and educate me please!!!

Oh and Beth, thanks for trying to help and an extra thanks for your permission to quote everyone separately!  You loo loo!

Last edited by Crybaby on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

112What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:51 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:The two smelled the same. I am not very knowledgeable about curry. I only have it once every few years. I got the curry at the Asian store because I was afraid the bottle was getting too old. I have read that it is best to cook the curry in some butter before adding it to a dish.  That's about all I know except that I like the taste but don't have it very often.

I'm just like you, Norm.  I don't have it often either but I might if I could enjoy knowing I could try a different type of curry.  Brian likes it every time I've made it, too.  I'll make sure I do that with the butter next time I make it -- I guess it's like blooming the spices at the start of making a dish so it makes sense.  Thanks. Idea

113What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:I finished my fresh Lake Erie Pikeral along with a huge tomato and onion salad.  Tomatoes came from  "my garden"  I know, lived on a farm for 39 years where we didn't grow vegetables, now that I'm on the 12th floor of  condo building in the city, I have a garden.  I don't remember whether I posted about this before, but it's at the home of a friend of my son's.  Son thought that his mother and his father-in-law needed something to keep them busy.  Friend had a large raised bed that wasn't used, so we're gardening.  Tomatoes are now doing well, carrots, radishes, peas, beans are a bust.  Mesclun mix did well, we've had much more than our money's worth out of one package of seeds.  Zuccini and spaghetti squash are great, red cabbage, brussels sprouts, 3 varieties of peppers are doing well.  Parsley is going nuts, nasturtiums are great for salads.  

That is SO cool, Lore, and it's a wonderful thing to become involved in, no matter what age one is. I think it's a blast to introduce kids to vegetable gardening. Flowers are nice and they're pretty, too, but kids will eat almost any vegetable they grow, which is a good thing, too. What a thoughtful son that friend of your son's must be to come up with it. Is he enjoying any of the spoils from the garden too? If so, he's a thoughtful and brilliant man! Razz

Niagara Visitor wrote:We've had so much rain here that some of the seeds rotted in the ground and couldn't sprout.  We have all the rain, and our west coast is burning up!

I know what you mean, Lori, as we've been deluged with rain. I feel sorry for the local farmers as my entire garden is almost kaput so I can imagine what it's doing to the crops grown down here and peoples' livelihoods. I dread my next trip to the small farmer's market I go to when I get my nails done and where the military base (all branches of the military!) is where we use the Px, in Belle Chasse, La., which is about 12 or 13 miles south of here. I'm sure there won't be much local stuff that made it through the last several months of nothing but rain and so few sunny days...

114What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:02 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner tonight was Shrimp Scampi, Pasta Carbonara and Roasted Broccoli. I am not sure what a purist would think of cheese on pasta with shellfish but I am not a purist. Heck I am not even Italian.What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 20170824
What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 20170825

115What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Norm, only, I would not be able to eat the spaghetti with the eggs cooked by the heat from the spaghetti.
Mom made it for us kids, but we didn't eat it. The egg smell turned us off!

I could see me and bugster ( Debbie ) sitting at the table trying to eat the carbonara ....
Each gagging watching each eating it!

Sorry Norm..... yours looks delicious and I know you and Charlie enjoyed it, but
bugster and I have a thing about eggs smell. I actually should speak for myself, but I recall bugster not liking the egg smell either.

116What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:44 pm

NormM

NormM

I like because of the bacon in it. I didn't put enough bacon this time.

117What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is nothing worse than eating eggs for breakfast and drinking something out of a glass. The egg smell gets transferred to the glass and I have to get a new glass. I almost heave from the smell.
Another bad thing is smelling the air around someone who is eating a peanut butter sandwich. That will make me gag.

118What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:There is nothing worse than eating eggs for breakfast and drinking something out of a glass. The egg smell gets transferred to the glass and I have to get a new glass. I almost heave from the smell.
Another bad thing is smelling the air around someone who is eating a peanut butter sandwich. That will make me gag.

I mentioned this before, but Tina will scramble her eggs in a bowl,
then fry he eggs, and when cooked, she will put the cooked eggs in the bowl she just scrambled the eggs in, and eat her eggs like that.
What gets me, is when she puts ketchup on the eggs. I like ketchup, but NOT on eggs.
Egg Nog is a gag maker for me too!

119What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:21 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

She is risking food poisoning putting her cooked eggs in a bowl where raw eggs have been.

120What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:39 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:She is risking food poisoning putting her cooked eggs in a bowl where raw eggs have been.

I cringe when people lick the beaters from a cake batter. That has raw eggs in it. affraid

121What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:58 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:https://cookingfriends.forumotion.com/t664-greek-style-hamburger-and-hot-dog-chili-sauce#8258

Greek Style hamburger and hot dog chili sauce.

Crybaby... Here is the recipe.

Thanks, Jimmy -- you're a real sweetheart. I responded in that area but wanted to thank you here in case you missed my thanks there!

122What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:09 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Oh Yes! I agree with order in a sandwich. i.e. Today, Tina bought me an Egg McMuffin, at the yellow arch place. Yay!! They placed the egg on the English Muffin bottom, then the cheese, and lastly the sausage patty. It was made perfectly, and no sticking. Well, actually, I ate the darn thing with one bite; so there was no chance for sticking! LOL

THAT was indeed the perfect order of ingredients. If you ever watch The Kitchen on the Food channel, Jeff Mauro is a real sandwich aficionado and he, too, is very particular about the order of items on a sandwich. What I really hate is when a slice of tomato is put next to the bread! Wrong, wrong, wrong!

123What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:16 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Fires are our danger. Ten years ago or so there was a fire in the canyon that got so close we could see the flames from our street. That was scary. The air was so bad that I coughed for days. A couple of months later on Christmas day it was warm so I opened the windows to air out the house. BIG mistake. The breeze blew black soot in that covered everything. I had to clean, mop and vacuum for days.

We watched a show the other night about a horrendous fire in CA several years back. I don't remember the year but the fire was HUGE and occurred around an area including Valley Center, which was where Brian's sister lived at the time. It was a regal good show -- perhaps Dateline? -- but sad, too, as one couple had lost one of their daughters, and the other daughter walked out from the fire and then initially thought she was covered in soot, but it was fourth degree burns! She survived but her sister died in the auto. Their poor older brother couldn't get to the other side of the car to drive them out of the flames and staggered out of the heat due to his lungs burning terribly. He felt so terrible but knew he did the best he could.

And there was a couple whose home actually made it -- they hardly made it driving out but there home not only made it, but all their animals and horses, including a Clydesdale she had rescued years before and loved dearly. The animals all fled but came home later.

One woman driving out with her husband couldn't see the road anymore and was so frightened she'd drive right off the side of the mountain. Suddenly, a cougar appeared and she followed the cougar right down the road -- the ONLY thing that wasn't on fire was the actual road itself -- and they got out. Terrifying.

We all have situations by Mother Nature that we deal with and somehow seem to become accustomed to. Fire scares the daylights out of me, whereas I'm sure hurricanes frighten others more than they do us!

124What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I think the recipe sounds good but I don't understand why they brined the pork BEFORE pounding it.  The brine seeps into the muscle tissue to keep it moist.  I would think, even with the 'drying', it would turn into a splatery mess (that's a technical cooking term, don't you know?).

So I would have pounded the chops thin and then brined and finally dried and dredged.  JMO ~ for what it's worth.

Michelle, you ought to make 'tenderloin' sandwiches for Brian some time ~ a midwest specialty sandwich.  Mystery pork meat (I can't believe they actually use pork tenderloin) is pounded to about 1/4" ~ super thin ~ and then it's breaded and deep fried.  It ends up about the size of a dinner plate.  It then gets put on a regular size hamburger bun (with the breaded meat frizbee hanging out all around) and a couple pickles.  There are places in Ohio & Indiana that advertise having 'The BEST' Pork Tenderloin.....an acquired taste, to be sure!  LOL

BTW ~ It's good to have you back.  Your posts lasted through 3 cups of coffee this morning and half a jug of tea this afternoon......Thanks!

I literally HOOTED at that last remark, Beth. I'm so sorry if I drive some of you crazy but I type really fast and before I know it, each message has turned into a book!

Both Brian and I were surprised at the brining before pounding it as well, Beth. But if it was that thin, you sure wouldn't want to brine it that long. Jeff Mauro never brines things for that long either and made it a point to tell people it really needed to be brined overnight. I don't think it would be too difficult to put plastic wrap over the chop to pound it after brining, though, but I sure did find it unusual. Brian really, really liked the sound of the recipe, though, so I figure I'd copy it and eventually get around to trying it.

The man, who was making brownies every single day, has now switched over to instant pudding. He had some at his friend Pete's house with the canned whip cream (which Brian promptly went out and bought, as I always make whipped cream from heavy cream, the poor deprived husband!), and now he's making pudding (chocolate and lemon so far, he knows I like lemon so he probably figures if he makes the lemon type I won't tell him he's making it too often) all the time. He kept using up the canned milk we use for milk after diluting and we use a lot of it full strength for our very strongly brewed coffee and chicory every day. I told him to go ahead and purchase some regular whole milk for his pudding if he was going to make it so often so now we have milk in the fridge -- something I haven't seen in over 35 years! Of course, he still occasionally makes brownies and always seem to have ice cream in the freezer, too. I just worry about him eating all that junk. He's not gaining weight and he just smiles and says his cholesterol is always good (yeah, the last time it was tested about a year ago) so he doesn't worry!

I keep telling him if he grows out of all the new clothes we had to buy for him that he's going to have to run around naked!

125What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: What's for dinner? ~ August, 2017 Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:39 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Michelle, you ought to make 'tenderloin' sandwiches for Brian some time ~ a midwest specialty sandwich. Mystery pork meat (I can't believe they actually use pork tenderloin) is pounded to about 1/4" ~ super thin ~ and then it's breaded and deep fried. It ends up about the size of a dinner plate. It then gets put on a regular size hamburger bun (with the breaded meat frizbee hanging out all around) and a couple pickles. There are places in Ohio & Indiana that advertise having 'The BEST' Pork Tenderloin.....an acquired taste, to be sure! LOL

Never heard of those before, Beth! I'd hate to spring for the pork tenderloin to use it for sandwiches, though. Pork and pickles really go well together, and I love pickles on my BBQ pork sandwiches. Yum!

I forgot to put out his pickle juice last night and he did get one Charley horse. He said I'm going to have to get better at remembering to put it out for him!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum