Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 17]

326June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:42 pm

NormM

NormM

It probably is. Some of the restaurants like that around here, let you cook it yourself and others, the server cooks it for you at the table. Most of them cut up the meat with scissors BTW.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

327June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Lyn had a car that needed to go into the dealership for service in Orlando so we left at 9:30 this morning and spent the day putzin' around Orlando.  We went to a mall and she found some clothes.  We were at a mall we don't normally stop at and we came across a home decorating store with the most affordable stuff.  We put together a little silver/black vase & artificial flower arrangement for her house that was really cute.

Then, when we were driving to the dealership we passed a Smash Burger Restaurant.  OMG!  I didn't know Orlando had that restaurant.  My grandchildren asked me to take them to the one by their house in Indiana one time when I was babysitting them because their parents were out of town.  My Tori told me I'd LOVE the vegetable frittes ~ and she was right!  They're nothing more than raw green beans and carrot sticks that are flash-fried in oil (I assume the same as the french fry fryer) and simply seasoned with a garlic/parsley salt.  

I had told Lyn about the place so she was game to go there for a late lunch.  Turns out they have ground beef burgers, chicken breast sandwiches, ground turkey burgers (Lyn's favorite) and vegetarian bean burgers ~ all with your choice of bun and toppings.  

I got Lyn hooked on fried dill pickles a few years ago so she got a side order of those and I got the vegetable frittes and we split them.  It was just what I was hungry for....and what I commonly refer to as my 'fat fix' meal....anything deep fried constitutes a good 'fat fix' for a fat junkie like me!  LOL

And, Jimmy, you would have loved the burger....it's like an old fashioned butter burger ~ ball of meat on a buttered flat top griddle smashed down and crispy on the irregular edges ~ Hence the name, Smash Burger!

Lyn was amazed at the taste of the still al dente fried vegetables....they're a little greasy but they still TASTE healthy!  Hahahahahaha

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 IMG_20170626_171451556_HDR

Beth, that looks awesome. I am craving a burger!!

I do like veggies, but have for some reason, gotten out of the habit of eating them..The same with fruit.

I eat a ton of salads, and a ton of junk.. too much chocolate and nuts.

I bought some watermelon and a cantaloupe last week. I have to throw out half because I do not eat it, before spoilage... sigh

I think I saw spriralized potatoes in the freezer section. Have to check that out.

I did see a package of spriralized zucchini in the fresh food section...

I need to get back into the habit of cooking, I get lazy, being that it is only for me.

I never tried raw sweet potatoes. I love them baked.

Niagara, Thanks for the info on the hand held units. I was wondering how hard they were to use. I have very weak hands and wrists. I think I will pass on it.

Thanks..

328June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:16 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

They opened a Smash Burger in Los Angeles, about an hour away. Next time we go to the city I am going to try those burgers. They look so good.

Today I am going to try 3 different rubs on a cut up boneless breast. One is Norm's recipe. another is a Steven Raichlen's and the third is one from the Neely's.

329June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:07 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The Smash Burgers were really good.....a taste straight from the 1960's when I use to go to White Tower and order a butter burger! But to me, the vegetable frittes (fresh green beans and carrots) flash fried and dusted with garlic salt are the star of the show!

I made chicken cutlets with braised cabbage and fresh green beans picked up at Trader Joe's yesterday. I know I paid a little more but the beans looked really fresh and had already been 'snipped' so all I had to do was wash & steam for a few minutes.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 IMG_20170627_170152466

330June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking for me today. I met my sister for lunch where I had an amazing slab of Prime Rib done to perfection. Lots of veggies, broccoli, carrots, asparagus. My protein of choice is definitely beef, and I just can't do a prime rib roast for myself!

331June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Has anyone ever smoked a chicken? If so, what did you think of it?

332June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:17 pm

NormM

NormM

I have tasted smoked turkey and I smoked a chicken once. I am not that big a fan of either.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

333June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had crab cakes and cole slaw .... Tina was at the shore yesterday at Long Beach Island.
The kids rented a house there for their vacation week. The little baby is with them, and is so good and happy. Hr has his own blow up pool they set on the deck. He loves it.
I have pics that I have to post later.

334June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:55 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Oh Boy! ... "I have a great grandpa and grandma!"
Next week. I will be 8 months old. The way I figure. if I'm a good boy,
they will take me anywhere.

Liam

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 EWXaKv
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 V30guD
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 XDCfAT
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 FGUm5a
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 PjZrwo
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 VwW71h
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Kx1TtF

335June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Goodness, he is such a cutie! I can't believe he's 8 months old! Time sure does fly by fast the older I get.....tomorrow you'll be posting pics of him leaving for college.

336June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:24 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Jimmy,
He is beautiful!! such a happy baby.. hope this continues.. and he has awesome grandparents, with loving Great-Grand-Parents!!

Such a lucky little boy. He has 2 pools! one for the beach and one for the yard!!

337June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Has anyone ever smoked a chicken? If so, what did you think of it?

We've smoked chickens a lot, Debbie. We love 'em! But we love smoked turkey, too.

We not only eat the smoked chicken as a main dish but we've made chicken salad with the leftover chicken, which was really good too.

338June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Liam is indeed an adorable baby, Jimmy -- he is always smiling and looks so happy. Just loved that little "shaded" pool they put on the deck for him! They have such cute things today.

That's a cute picture of your daughter-in-law holding Liam, too. How's her mother anyway? I'm curious as to what was wrong with her leg...

You didn't feel like going to the shore with Tina? Man, I wouldn't have passed that up for anything. Hot as blazes here and more rain than we're used to getting in June -- heard we were over 8 inches past the normal amount of rain we get in June, and that was last week. It has rained since then so we might break a record for June. We're over 10 inches over our average annual rainfall as well.

But when it's not raining, it's humid as all get out. Except for yesterday and Monday -- it was a lot drier as a cool front had come in -- temps were a bit milder but the real plus was lower humidity. So I went and got my hair cut yesterday since it was a good hair day!! The best part of getting a hair cut for me is having someone else wash and blow-dry it!

339June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm wrote:Yes prime tastes better. It has more fat. It has to taste better, right?   My favorite all around wood for smoking is apple.  In Texas, were they smoke a lot of beef, one of the  most popular woods is oak. (Not mesquite- it burns too hot for smoking, but it's OK for grilling)

Here is something I saved from a while back.

Wood Flavor Chart - Cooking.com Forums

We've used apple before but usually in combo with another wood. We like pecan wood, and often mix it with cherry or peach. Tastes good on just about anything, too.

I have that SAME chart, Norm -- must've gotten it from Cooking.com as well but I didn't mark it so I'm not sure. I've copied it again on this computer, though, so thank you for posting it!

340June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:30 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I've been making this with pork or chicken for the last 50+ years and I haven't changed much about how I make it in all that time. I know I add way more stock than the original recipe called for but that's because my family likes it 'saucy'.

Beth, that's just what I wanted to know -- how you make your Sweet & Sour Pork. I didn't think any of it was laughable, even how you cooked the veggies in stock until they got to the crispness you wanted. Sounded quick and easy and I will definitely be making that. We have a pork tenderloin in the freezer so this would make good use of one of those tenderloins for sure. Many thanks!

341June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:46 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:Dinner last night was seafood chowder............. that may be dinner for the next week too, for I made waaaayy too much.  Bass season opened on Saturday, so I had fresh bass on Saturday, and my fisherman son kept two large carcasses for me with lots of meat left on.  Then I found a huge fresh salmon head in a grocery store, cooked those three to make a pot of broth, then I added some shrimp, squid, and small octopus that I bought frozen.  Lots of potatoes, spices and cream at the last.  It is a big pot full.  I think I have to go up and down the hallways here in the building and give a bunch away!  

Wish I lived "down the hall," Lore. Sounds delicious...

342June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, I thought about you this morning when the weekly grocery circulars came out with the morning paper.  They have bi-color or yellow corn -- 8 ears for $2.  The nice thing is you get that price no matter how many you buy, so I can pick up two for me for $0.50!  

Speaking of corn....

We went to a party last night given by a young woman we know, Carrie, who's the manager of a restaurant/bar right near the ferry landing in Algiers Point -- it was a wild going away party for a woman I met about a month ago who I really liked.  Natch, she's moving back to Washington state after 4.5 years here, primarily because her relatives are getting old and she wants to spend some time with them before they go, a noble reason for sure!  But Shawna, who was so glad we came, said she'd be back regularly, as she and her grown daughter, Elizabeth, who I met last night, bought a home while here.  I knew the party would be wild, as Carrie is wild beyond belief!

We saw a lot of people we hadn't seen in a bit and one girl, Laura, who I always loved, lives across the street from Carrier in a darling little yellow house with a tin roof.  Of course, I didn't know that but when her husband walked in, I was so glad, as I knew Laura was somewhere around.  She made a great bean, tomato and fresh corn salsa -- didn't even cook the corn, which when it's fresh like it is now is just perfect.  Boy, it was really good, too.  Made me want to make my own cold bean salad, which I just might do this week, as I have some fresh Creole tomatoes and I'm pretty sure all the beans I use in the pantry.  Don't you guys just love when you can make a great dish by stuff you have on hand already?  'Course, I do want to pick up some corn but have some in the freezer just in case.  Brian loves the bean salad, too, even though I use corn in it.  It'll taste even better if I run by the grocery an pick up some fresh ears...

343June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, those Smashburgers looked delicious, as did the vegetable frites! They don't have Smashburgers in this locale but I will keep my eyes and ears open if they end up opening one, that's for sure.

344June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Goodness, he is such a cutie!  I can't believe he's 8 months old!  Time sure does fly by fast the older I get.....tomorrow you'll be posting pics of him leaving for college.
Time surely does fly by....
Thanks Beth. He is so responsive, and it's like he knows what it's all about already!

Just to think.....in 6 more months, he will forget all which preceded those actions and play times.

345June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Jimmy,
He is beautiful!! such a happy baby.. hope this continues.. and he has awesome grandparents, with loving Great-Grand-Parents!!

Such a lucky little boy. He has 2 pools! one for the beach and one for the yard!!

Thanks Cindy! Yeah! How about that! ...... The home pool, and the beech pool! Talk about great grandparents.

346June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:34 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Liam is indeed an adorable baby, Jimmy -- he is always smiling and looks so happy.  Just loved that little "shaded" pool they put on the deck for him!  They have such cute things today.

That's a cute picture of your daughter-in-law holding Liam, too.  How's her mother anyway?  I'm curious as to what was wrong with her leg...

You didn't feel like going to the shore with Tina?  Man, I wouldn't have passed that up for anything.  Hot as blazes here and more rain than we're used to getting in June -- heard we were over 8 inches past the normal amount of rain we get in June, and that was last week.  It has rained since then so we might break a record for June.  We're over 10 inches over our average annual rainfall as well.  

But when it's not raining, it's humid as all get out.  Except for yesterday and Monday -- it was a lot drier as a cool front had come in -- temps were a bit milder but the real plus was lower humidity.  So I went and got my hair cut yesterday since it was a good hair day!!  The best part of getting a hair cut for me is having someone else wash and blow-dry it!

Thanks Michelle. He is always happy. He rarely cries unless he hits his self with a toy, or if he is hungry. At the restaurants or in church,
he is so well behaved.

As for as ME going down there, and ME sitting on the beach? Uh Uh!
This boy is a shade tree lover, and a freshwater lake boy too!
Poor Tina got her feet sunburned, and her left arm and face burned.She had sunscreen cream on too. LOL

DIL's mom, was transferred to Heath Village Nursing and rehab center last night. No word on what she had yet.... They inserted a sponge and a drain on the inside of the leg so it doesn't swell again.
Her sister is with her, and Tina will see her there later.

347June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was totally clueless on an idea for supper. But I needed to go to the grocery store and hoped I'd get an idea while there. Nothing sang out to me. But I did see a can of Manwich and that gave me the idea to make sloppy joes. I haven't made those in years (guess who's not a big fan?) But, hey, once every couple years isn't going to kill him! So, a super simple and light meal....sloppy joes and fresh sweet corn.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 IMG_20170628_171531605

348June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:I've been making this with pork or chicken for the last 50+ years and I haven't changed much about how I make it in all that time. I know I add way more stock than the original recipe called for but that's because my family likes it 'saucy'.

Beth, that's just what I wanted to know -- how you make your Sweet & Sour Pork.  I didn't think any of it was laughable, even how you cooked the veggies in stock until they got to the crispness you wanted.  Sounded quick and easy and I will definitely be making that.  We have a pork tenderloin in the freezer so this would make good use of one of those tenderloins for sure.  Many thanks!

The main thing is the equal ratio of brown sugar & cider vinegar for the sweet & sour taste we remember from 'way-back'. Like I said, I've made it with chicken but the pork tenderloin is, by far, my favorite because it cooks quickly, is very tender and reheats without that 'left-over' taste. And adding whatever vegetables you like is a key to having it enjoyed at your table. A can of those baby corn would be interesting, as would some water chestnuts. But over the years I've settled on my carrots, celery, onion & red pepper even though 'HE' doesn't like cooked peppers. But that's why they're RED and in BIG PIECES. Pick 'em out and push 'em to the side if you don't like the taste. LOL

349June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Thanks Michelle. He is always happy. He rarely cries unless he hits his self with a toy, or if he is hungry. At the restaurants or in church,
he is so well behaved.

As for as ME going down there, and ME sitting on the beach? Uh Uh!
This boy is a shade tree lover, and a freshwater lake boy too!
Poor Tina got her feet sunburned, and her left arm and face burned.She had sunscreen cream on too.  LOL

DIL's mom, was transferred to Heath Village Nursing and rehab center last night. No word on what she had yet.... They inserted a sponge and a drain on the inside of the leg so it doesn't swell again.
Her sister is with her, and Tina will see her there later.

There's nothing like a happy baby, as he makes everyone around him happy by not only smiling and laughing all the time, but by behaving.  A lot less stressful for whoever is taking care of him, too!

Well, I didn't picture you sitting on the beach.  But I could picture you hanging out at the house in the shade on the deck, you know?  Maybe cooking up something in the kitchen, too!  

Poor Tina -- I got the bottom of my feet sunburned once in FL while laying on my stomach.  Hadn't even THOUGHT of putting sunscreen on them.  Thank goodness it wasn't too bad of a burn.  You really have to re-apply your sunscreen often and make sure it's one labeled "Broad Spectrum" too.  The moisturizer I use everyday on my face has sunscreen, as does the CC cream I use in lieu of makeup base if I'm going out of the house.  I also recently purchased some good sunscreen for use on my face, neck and upper chest if I'm planning on spending more than 10 minutes outside -- like sitting at an outside shaded table at the Dry Dock, the bar/restaurant in our 'hood.  I figure being outside is just like being in the sun, as the rays still get to you. But unlike my sister whose skin was very fair, my complexion is a bit darker than fair, though not olive, so I never really had a really bad sunburn; and my mom, a nurse, made us use sunscreen even when most people didn't know what it was, for which I'm still grateful.  I'm supposed to avoid the sun due to my I.V. medication, and I'm also not supposed to get the cassette of medicine attached to the pump very hot, so I watch what I do.  Plus, like any female, I don't want to get more wrinkles than I already have!!!  

Wow, I can't believe they haven't diagnosed the problem with your DIL's mom yet, especially given her age.  Hope she's going to be okay and home really soon.  Tina is an angel, not only for taking her to the ER and staying with her but planning to go see her as well.  You're one lucky man, Jimmy!

350June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 14 IMG_20170628_171531605

I haven't made those in years but I think I'll pick up a can -- we used to really like it and it's quick AND good. Your dinner looked perfect. And Mr. Amazing could always skip the bun if he's so inclined!!! You're very good about your meals that Dane wants, Beth, as you really try to keep to his calorie requirements. Does he have a problem eating corn because it's a starch?

He's not trying to lose more weight, is he? Just maintaining his weight, right? I try to look at the week as a whole, and if I indulge myself one day, I'll make sure I make up for it prior to the week's end. Works for me anyway.

Brian isn't feeling well today. He's been taking his cancer pill and steroid early in the morning and then going back to bed so he doesn't have to worry about waiting the hour after taking it when he wakes up before he eats anything. But he's been queasy a bit lately so I told him not to do that anymore as I think it's upsetting his stomach even more than waiting an hour. I said I would make him toast or a bagel once his hour is up in the morning, as we normally don't eat breakfast of any type until we're awake several hours. He was sick as a dog this morning and has spent the day in bed in the guestroom. He's been sleeping most of the day so other than giving him one of my nausea pills, I've just been peeking in on him every hour or so. He only managed to get down a half a piece of toast this morning, poor heart.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum