Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 17]

176June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:06 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday Andrea & I invited Lyn to join us for a Girls' Day Trip to Mt. Dora, a little place about 45 minutes from here with tons of cute little shops and restaurants, situated along the banks of Lake Dora.  We went to Pisces Rising for lunch and killed most of the afternoon ~ what the heck, we weren't on any kind of schedule!

We also visited a couple cute kitchen and wine shops....fun stuff that you don't find just anywhere.  They had a tea towel I wanted to buy for Andrea but she said to just take a pic of it instead:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_140518334

She was more inclined to buy one for my sweet granddaughter, Tori ~ because when SHE gets hungry (especially after a long soccer match) she's a little less than cordial:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_140535991

So, for lunch.....

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_140140214

Lyn & Andrea both got the Summer Salad ~ Caramelized Watermelon, Heirloom Tomatoes, Avocado, Cucumber, Mozzarella w/Balsamic Tarragon Vinaigrette (Lyn got grilled chicken added to her's for a full meal):

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_125813008

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_125756150

We also got some of the House Focaccia with Guava & Sesame Butter ~ The butters were really good with the lightly toasted bread ~ Just whipped butter with a tiny bit of sesame oil and some sesame seeds and the guava butter was a sweet guava paste whipped with the butter.  Sometimes the easiest things contribute to a great taste!

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_125804347

For lunch I had the Fried Green Tomato Salad ~ Fried Green Tomatoes topped with Serrano Ham, Pickled Egg, Pea Shoots, Red Onion Relish, Grilled Peaches with a Mustard Vinaigrette ~ Really, REALLY good!

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_125857558

Andrea had the fresh fish of the day ~ a Grouper Sandwich with homemade potato chips:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_125746558

And just because we couldn't resist, we shared a Chocolate Mousse for dessert ~ Presented in a thin chocolate shell, the mousse was very light and not too sweet, buried underneath was a bit of a heavier white chocolate/cream cheese....topped with chopped fresh strawberries, little merangues and baby pansy flowers (does anyone REALLY eat them?).

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170617_133747961

177June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 am

Niagara Visitor

No Father's Day celebration here. My sons are not fathers, their father is gone, but I was invited to my daughter-in-law's father's day party for her father yesterday. Pizza, wings and salads. Yumm! I had not had a piece of pizza since February.

178June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:57 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Happy Father's Day to Jimmy & Norm!  

Enjoy 'your day' and know you are loved by more than just your kids!
Thank You Beth... Happy Fathers day to Dane!

179June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:19 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Happy Fathers Day to all the dads, Jimmy, Norm, Dane...

180June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Happy Fathers Day to all the dads, Jimmy, Norm, Dane...
Thank you Cindy.

181June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote: Pizza, wings and salads.  Yumm!  I had not had a piece of pizza since February.  

Isn't it amazing that you really do OK on avoiding certain foods when you're trying to drop some weight......but then the opportunity arises for you to have something like pizza and you remember WHY you enjoy it so much? I'm that way with something we pulled out of the freezer last night....the olive bread. Andrea made a bruschetta type topping to go on the slices of toasted kalamata olive slices....I knew I could eat the whole half loaf but I also knew if I was good and just savored ONE small slice I would also be happy. Personally, I would have liked butter slathered on the toasted bread instead of the olive oil....but, hey, the bread was enough of an indulgence without going overboard.

182June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Niagara Visitor

yes, Happy Fathers' day to all the dads!

183June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:31 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Even though we just had this same supper recently, Andrea said it sounded good to her so here's a repeat....but this time the corn was roasted on the gas grill to get a bit of char on it (which is my personal favorite).

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 IMG_20170618_180122418_HDR

184June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

NormM

NormM

I love the way you make the bacon for BLT's. They probably have good tomatoes by now at the farmer's market. I'll have to remember to make some of those.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

185June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:28 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You are lucky that you can go on day trips. Out here, the traffic on the freeways dictates where you can go and how long you can stay. A 45 minute trip with no traffic can take 3 hours when the freeways are full which is usually all of the time. We may have good weather but really bad freeways.

186June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:40 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Joe and I picked up a Traeger pellet smoker at Costco. I had a 3" ribeye steak that has been sitting in the freezer, so I decided to smoke it. We used a bag of mixed pellets that were maple, pecan and something else. Although it is used for beef, I didn't really like the flavor. Next ribeye I will try something else. We also did a small New York steak that was much better suited for the type of wood.
The ribeye took twice as long as the recipe stated. I did a reverse sear at the end. It was moist and done just right. The smoker was easy to operate and didn't over-smoke the meat. That is good for a newbie. In the future I will try some chicken, ribs and fish.

187June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

The fact that you got something edible first time out with a new smoker is impressive to me. Congratulations! I would think there would be a huge learning curve on the types of wood smoke each person likes used for chicken, beef, pork and fish....oh, and cheese ~ don't forget to try cold smoking some mozzarella or gouda (if you like that). Have fun experimenting!

188June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I love the way you make the bacon for BLT's.  They probably have good tomatoes by now at the farmer's market.  I'll have to  remember to make some of those.

Thanks, Norm. Now that I've made the woven bacon for sandwiches on a fairly regular basis, Dane expects it! LOL He likes that the bacon stays in his sandwich and doesn't fall apart on his plate.

I usually get 5 from a package of bacon....be sure to use thin sliced or it'll take FOREVER to bake off. Then I cut it in half and weave on a rack over a foil covered sheet pan (because I hate the clean up - this way the foil gets tossed and all I have to do is soak/wash my racks and just a quick soapy swish to clean up the tray.) I also place another rack upside down (smooth side down) on top of the bacon weaves to keep them flat. It usually takes about 45 minutes in a 350° oven but that can vary a lot depending upon the bacon, how thick it is and your oven....so watch it carefully the first time or so. I only let it get done to the point that it's 'sticking' together and most of the fat has rendered out. Then after they're cooled I can wrap & freeze if I'm not going to use them all.

Just before serving I place the pre-cooked weaves between some paper towels and microwave on high for about 35 - 45 seconds to crisp them up.

189June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:21 am

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:I love the way you make the bacon for BLT's.  They probably have good tomatoes by now at the farmer's market.  I'll have to  remember to make some of those.

I'll have to try to do the bacon like that next time in my volunteering in the hospital coffee shop. We make a lot of BLTs, the bacon is pre-cooked partially and I think it will be pliable enough to do that. When the BLT goes on a bagel, it tends to slip out sometimes.

190June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:20 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks for the directions.

191June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:27 pm

NormM

NormM

I did a test run on the braided bacon. I only did one and I have a bacon press that I used. I only have thick bacon at the moment and I cook it in the oven (unbraided) on foil @ 450º for 20 minutes. This one cooked for 25 minutes at 450. I can see it isn't done yet but I am going to try finishing it in the microwave later. June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 20170614
June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 20170615

192June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

That would be done enough for me!

I like the bacon rubbery. I don't like burnt bacon.
Mommy T and kids like it burnt.

193June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:55 pm

NormM

NormM

At least it is sticking together.

194June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:20 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Picture this! ... Hands on the hips, refrigerator doors wide open, and gazing into the abyss of things and stuff of leftovers, and or finally deciding we are too lazy to produce anything to eat!

Ho--Hum !

195June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks like you got it, Norm! Hope you and Charlie like BLT's made with it as much as Dane & I do.

196June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

No supper tonight. Since Andrea was leaving this evening we went out for a late lunch at Hemingway's at Havana Country Club. Of course, since it was pouring rain I was distracted and forgot all about taking pics. (Lamebrain!) Andrea had a roasted beet / goat cheese salad, Dane had a Cuban sandwich with house made potato chips and I had their double slider (chicken salad & egg salad on mini croisants) and Cuban Black Bean Soup....EXCELLENT.

Andrea just texted to say she's at the airport, through security and about to go looking for a sandwich while she waits a couple hours for her flight. Since she's traveling alone she didn't want to take any chances on being late so she left early enough to allow for any traffic delays or problems.

We had such a good time with her on an unexpected visit. In a couple weeks Robin will be here with Ben and grandson Jacob....who gets to stay for the month of July (we hope). Having a teenager in the house for 4 weeks might be a challenge but it should be loads of fun.

197June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:28 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
Laughed, as I just re-read your message, Beth, and saw that you recognized the other stuff on the table!  So sorry.  Write my confusion off to computeritis!!!

I mentioned to Andrea about my mystery salmon meal post and she said she remembered when I made the meal......she was surprised because she knows I like salmon as much as she does.....LOL  And she thought it was quite a sacrifice on MY part to make something that her dad likes.  Guess that says quite a bit about ME, huh?  Hahahahaha!

Well, at least the mystery is solved and "someone" remembered!!! Pulling your chain, Missy. I hope you told her how many carbs you adore that you've been doing without 'cause of her dad. When I did almost all of the cooking except grilling and smoking, I'd ask Brian occasionally what he'd like me to make (usually meaning of the things we had on hand). He'd usually say whatever I felt like doing. When I pointed that out to him one day, he said that no matter what he said he wanted, I usually convinced him what I wanted to make was a better idea so he just figured he'd go with that from the start. I had to laugh as I almost started to object to that but then, after thinking about it for a bit, I realized that was EXACTLY what I'd do to the poor man. So I stopped asking. Just kidding, just kidding. I tried to get better about it and if I had a reason for wanting one thing over another, I'd tell him that up front (such as I'd really like to use that ground meat while it's fresh from the store and tastes so good).

198June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I was here thinking. You sound like Angela Lansbury, in Murder She Wrote! .....  June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 2876911673  June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 2876911673

Do YOU have any books out there? I would be the FIRST to read it if you did.  June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 4056093967

I swear, Jimmy, when I read this message of yours, I laughed so hard OUT LOUD that I woke Brian up (who was snoozing next to me in bed while we're supposed to be watching LSU play Oregon State in the College World Series)! You cracked me up. I re-read my message and realized how freaking crazy it sounded and I laughed some more.

That little "thingie" rolling on the floor laughing just added to my laughter, too! Thanks for making me laugh at myself. Rather than sounding like a book, I sounded like a complete idiot! Embarassed

199June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:41 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Mother Superior, was out and about today, and she stopped for an ice cream, and she had been throwing up all afternoon. I told her she may be dairy intolerant. Poor thing!

It was funny; watching the three cats looking at her, and waiting for her hair ball to approach. I could read their primitive, but accurate minds ( Is that what  WE  Look like when WE get sick? )
F   U  N   N   Y  

You did it again, Jimmy, as you literally had me yucking it up and waking up sleepyhead next to me again. I could just PICTURE the cats sitting there looking at Tina, oooh, I mean MOTHER SUPERIOR! You're killing me tonight!!!

I just had to wipe my nose as I literally cried I laughed so hard -- my nose always starts leaking when I cry. Whoopie -- I needed to laugh, too. Thank you, James!!!

200June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:47 pm

NormM

NormM

I posted this before but I don't see it. You can delete it if it is a double post. Dinner tonight was some chicken salad with pecans and red grapes. I added some chopped apricots too.June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 8 20170617

I had it in a bread bowl.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum