Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 17]

226June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:59 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always add a small amount of torn bread soaked in buttermilk or panko bread crumbs soaked in buttermilk and a couple eggs to my meatloaf. I use 3 parts ground chuck and 1 part spicy breakfast sausage (like a Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage in a plastic roll). I think the buttermilk soaked bread and the egg help hold it together.

Meatloaf is such a 'family specific' meal. I make mine like my Grandma made it. I almost always add a sweet / spicy ketchup glaze because that's what she did. I've had good meatloaf made by friends and always thought, why don't I make mine like that? But I always go back to Grandma's because it tastes like what I'm use to.

227June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:40 pm

NormM

NormM

I made more bacon weaves in the oven today and here was my dinner tonight.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 20170618

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

228June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks great, Norm! Good looking tomatoes, too. Isn't it nice to have bacon in every bite?

229June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:58 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 <a href=June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 983765_10201144707360982_1698485100_n" />

I made a bacon taco a few years back.

230June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:07 pm

NormM

NormM

It sure is Beth. Thanks for the "recipe".

231June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:49 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Happy Father's day to all the fathers here... I hope you all enjoyed your special day

We went to my in-laws' place to celebrate our Father's day, I volunteered to cook, as they are getting old and having not much passion to cook anymore.. I cooked Osso Buco with beef shanks, I slow cooked them with red wine, carrot, lots of shallots ( as we have a lot of them in our backyard ), mushrooms, I cooked them until they were fork tender, they loved it... my father in-law complimented me repeatedly, the loved my steamed Spaghetti squash too, I steamed 2 big spaghetti squash ( more than 3 lbs each ) and we finished them all ( 6 of us )

We have bunch of Spaghetti squash, yellow squash, shallots and bunch of herbs and chili peppers in our backyard

I cut the spaghetti squash in half, nuked them in microwave ( covered) for 4 minutes, I turned them once, cooked for another 4 minutes, after they cooled off, I scrapped them and poured them in a big bowl.. I sauteed bunch of shallots with butter, added salt and black peppers, until the shallots caramelized then I poured them on my spaghetti squash, oh, they were so good  

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6490

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6501

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6505

232June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, my, Imelda....Dirk's been busy in the garden!  How wonderful to have such a bounty of foods to pick fresh to cook.  No wonder your in-laws love to have you come and cook for them.  Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites.  The only way I can get Dane to eat it is if I make a marinara sauce for it.  I like it with just butter and salt & pepper best ~ tasting the squash.

What did you do with the yellow crook neck squash?  They're another of my favorites.....oh, heck, I think ALL squash are a favorite of mine!

Last edited by bethk on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total

233June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:

That's really unique, Bugster! What did you put on the inside? (I'd probably put some tortilla chips and call it an 'inside-out' taco).

234June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:41 pm

NormM

NormM

Believe it or not yellow summer squash make amazing bread and butter pickles.

235June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a Sxxt day today. Tina had heartburn all day. Around 1:30 PM DIL called and asked if Tina could pick up her mother at the orthopedic Dr. She went there in pain and couldn't walk.
I don't know why that Dr didn't call an ambulance?

After the fact, from a wheel chair, they load Sherries Mom into the car, and Tina runs her to the ER at the Hospital.
They push her in a bed into the hallway. Her calf was swollen on her leg, and all they could do is give her IV with pain meds. The ER nurse was nasty, but Tina didn't want to interfere at that point. Sherrie arrived from work, and she blasted the Nurse to get her in a room at the ER.

The nurse said she was only concerned about getting her stabilized ..... They took cat scan and an MRI. They found a mass of bleeding ( internally ) in her leg. They have no vascular surgeon so now they may ship her to another hospital. ?????.... What a day!

We had ( gulp ) Spaghetti and meatballs. Good. For me! Not for Tina. She had to take Zantac, and tums. She had massive heartburn.
Tomorrow at 8:30 AM, she has to pick up our neighbor Mary, at the Colon Clinic.
Fun....Fun....Fun!

236June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:58 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Oh, my, Imelda....Dirk's been busy in the garden!  How wonderful to have such a bounty of foods to pick fresh to cook.  No wonder your in-laws love to have you come and cook for them.  Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites.  The only way I can get Dane to eat it is if I make a marinara sauce for it.  I like it with just butter and salt & pepper best ~ tasting the squash.

What did you do with the yellow crook neck squash?  They're another of my favorites.....oh, heck, I think ALL squash are a favorite of mine!

I cooked my Spaghetti squash with sausage and marinara sauce for him too.. and he never gets tired eating his homegrown veggies, we still have dozen of it, waiting to be picked...

as for yellow squash, I sauteed it in butter with shallots, then before I took it out I added some spinach... they were easy and yummy

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 2_1

237June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:08 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

That's really unique, Bugster!  What did you put on the inside?  (I'd probably put some tortilla chips and call it an 'inside-out' taco).

I don't remember what was inside the taco or how to make it. I lost the recipe when one of my computers died.

238June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

I cooked my Spaghetti squash with sausage and marinara sauce for him too.. and he never gets tired eating his homegrown veggies, we still have dozen of it, waiting to be picked...

as for yellow squash, I sauteed it in butter with shallots, then before I took it out I added some spinach... they were easy and yummy

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 2_1

I, too, saute my squash (either summer squash or zucchini....or both) with onions (because I don't grow my own shallots, I might add!) and we love them.  But then you went one step further and added the homegrown spinach.....of course!  I can't get over how beautiful it all is.  Dirk is really doing a fabulous job.

Do you have enough hot peppers to make your chili paste?

Some produce here is inexpensive.....like sweet corn is starting to really be 'in season' and I'll be buying a lot of it. But things like summer squash & zucchini seem so terribly overpriced to me. Oh, I buy it because we like it, but it sure is pricey. And something like spaghetti squash, as well as 'winter' squash...butternut, acorn, etc., are $1.49 per POUND. To me, that's crazy. In Ohio they were sold per EACH....$1 or 2 for $1. I picked up a spaghetti squash, seeing the $1.49 sign, and assumed it was $1.49 for the squash. When I got to the checkout it rang up at over $6....for ONE SPAGHETTI SQUASH!!! Thank goodness I noticed and said I didn't want it if that was the price. Aldi had a couple times last fall they sold butternut and acorn squash for $1 each and we loaded up on all that would fit in our 'spare' refrigerator (I can't leave that stuff sit on the counter top like I did in Ohio ~ it spoils too soon). Even having the squash in the cold of the refrigerator didn't save them for as long as I had hoped. But at least I noticed they were going bad so I took the last 3 squash and baked them off and then was able to freeze the cooked puree.

Last edited by bethk on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 am; edited 1 time in total

239June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Believe it or not yellow summer squash make amazing bread and butter pickles.

I've made those before....well, a LONG, LONG time ago. You can also use just one or two to make small batch refrigerator pickles. I think the yellow squash absorbs flavors better than the zucchini.

240June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks like Michelle and Brian are getting hammered with storms again....let's pray the generator works without problems and they weather the storm (named Cindy.....gee, why does that name sound familiar??) without incident.

241June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:12 pm

NormM

NormM

It has been a long time for me too. I put squash in the jar cucumbers for color. I thought the squash tasted better too.

242June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:34 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

bethk wrote:Looks like Michelle and Brian are getting hammered with storms again....let's pray the generator works without problems and they weather the storm (named Cindy.....gee, why does that name sound familiar??) without incident.

Funny!! I know.. Yesterday afternoon, I was wondering which "C" name it would be this year. When I heard the storm's name, I started laughing!

But it is a lot of wind & Rain, and not much clout!! like me....

243June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Your pepper jelly sounds really tasty, Michelle!  And, yes, when I used the hand grinder for potato pancakes it always made a huge mess ~ but that didn't stop me from using it!

Yes, there's nothing that will really suffice for a grinder. When the lady gave me the recipe, she told me specifically NOT to grind up the peppers using a food processor -- I always wonder if I could do them in the FP and then just drain them really well. But then I decide I don't want to waste my Certo and I drag out the grinder. The nice thing now is that I got to go into my newly designed "pantry" and pull out the shoe box that I store it in -- I smile every time I have to pull out that rolling cart so I can get to my nice stainless steel shelving. Brian knows how hard I worked doing it, too, so he usually takes the time to tell me what a good job I did on it, which always makes me laugh.

bethk wrote:I can remember doing a lot of canning many years ago.  There's nothing better than hearing the jars 'pop ~ pop ~ pop' and know you got it right!  I did lots of red beet, pickled beets, pickles, relish and (the girls' favorite) peaches.  I use to be able to buy them from orchards by Lake Erie for $20 a bushel and I'd buy two (had to save for a month for that $40!) and we'd eat half a bushel and then I'd spend a long day canning the rest.  In addition to the peaches I'd have to have 10 pound bags of sugar.  It was always a long hard day but it was always wonderful to have those jars in the cabinet in December and January.

The few times I canned stuff I always ended up forgetting what a chore it was prior to beginning. Probably a good thing, too! It's a hell of a lot of work particularly when it's hot as those hot pots of stuff you're canning and then the big canning pots themselves full of boiling water really heat up the kitchen, making the whole thing an even BIGGER chore. But yes, just stacking the finished jars, all nice and pretty and FINISHED, did indeed give me a wonderful feeling. They always got used up so much faster than I always anticipated they would, too!

244June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your bacon weaves turned out super and your BLT looked delicious as well. Congrats. I've got Brian wanting to try it now, too. We talked about it late this morning while he nuked the bacon to have with the blueberry pancakes I was making.

Nothing like a good breakfast done more at brunch time than breakfast time. He's gotten his appetite back lately and he has to listen to me teasing him about growing out of all the new clothes we had to purchase for him! Brian turns 70 tomorrow, which he isn't too keen on. But he really looks super for his age. We both laughed today about being younger and repeating that saying, "Don't trust anyone over 30!" Who KNEW we'd live this long?!

245June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:10 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Niagara Visitor wrote:What's cooking today???? I made a meatloaf.  Made one in a regular loaf pan to give to my son and DIL, and a small one for myself.  I may have asked about this here before, but here I go again.............. the flavour of my meatloafs (Meatloaves???) is always good.  My children love it, tell me "Mom, it's great, what are you worried about???"  I don't like the consistency of it.  It doesn't slice nicely for a sandwich, I find that it is not what I would call "smooth".  

Today I used half beef, half pork, two eggs, one package of onion soup mix.  For flavour I added some Worchesteshire sauce, some horseradish, salt, pepper. I think it was dry.  good flavour, but dry. Any hints/help????

Your sounds really good, Lore!  I like it when it's not smooth like pate when it's cold.

Since you use the onion soup mix and you think it's too dry, you probably could add some more moisture to it; some recipes use milk, buttermilk or even yogurt.  Why don't you try adding a half a cup of one of those liquids to it next time and you might find it a bit more moist.  I normally add a couple of teaspoons of Dijon mustard, too, and a chopped onion that I've sautéed with garlic and let cool; but since you use the onion soup mix, you probably should skip the fresh onion/garlic and just use some more moisture in there to counteract the dry soup mix, you know? I'd stick with 1/2 cup or 3/4 cup of the liquid.  I hate when ground meat mixed for anything is overmixed as people sometimes do with their hands if they're pinching everything together to mix it.  I find overmixing or over-handling the ground meat makes it tough and also tends to give me heartburn.  I mix my meatloaf ingredients with a wooden spoon and normally once the "right" amount of liquid is added, the mixture no longer clings to the side of the bowl I'm mixing it in.  

I mix up the sauce (combo of about 2 cups of chili sauce or ketchup, 1/2 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 cup cider vinegar) and heat it up in a small saucepan over low heat. I put about a quarter of the sauce on top of the meatloaf and then cover the whole thing with bacon strips on an angle.  You could make half the amount of sauce; I make a lot so his nibs has a lot left to serve over his meatloaf slices; he also will use it cold on sandwiches the next day too if there's any left.  

One more thing that might help is to let it rest about 10 or 12 minutes after you take it out of the hot oven.  Worth a try anyway...

I tend to agree with Beth that meatloaf is one of those family specific type meals.  My father loved it and made it all the time so I got sick of it as a kid; though I always tend to enjoy it today (especially the next day on a sandwich), it's never something I think of making and feel good about doing it.  I just make it 'cause Brian really likes it and we almost always have ground beef in 1 lb., 1-1/2 and 2 lb. packages that we make up and freeze after buying a larger package to save some money per pound.

My father used to use oatmeal in his all the time and I found a recipe years ago that uses broken up saltines in it; Brian like that one a lot 'cause of the sauce and the crispy bacon on top.  So we've kind of stuck with that one since he's the meatloaf fan.  When I'm out of saltines, I used either these chunky seasoned French bread crumbs made and sold locally or oatmeal.  The sauce sounds a lot like Beth described that her grandmother made.

Last edited by Crybaby on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

246June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 <a href=June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 983765_10201144707360982_1698485100_n" />

I'm way too lazy to make that, Debbie, as it looks like it took a lot of work. But I'll bet it would taste good with some mayo slathered inside, a couple of slices of turkey and some chopped lettuce and chopped tomato -- a club sandwich taco!

247June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:27 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:Happy Father's day to all the fathers here... I hope you all enjoyed your special day

We went to my in-laws' place to celebrate our Father's day, I volunteered to cook, as they are getting old and having not much passion to cook anymore.. I cooked Osso Buco with beef shanks, I slow cooked them with red wine, carrot, lots of shallots ( as we have a lot of them in our backyard ), mushrooms, I cooked them until they were fork tender, they loved it... my father in-law complimented me repeatedly, the loved my steamed Spaghetti squash too, I steamed 2 big spaghetti squash ( more than 3 lbs each ) and we finished them all ( 6 of us )

We have bunch of Spaghetti squash, yellow squash, shallots and bunch of herbs and chili peppers in our backyard

I cut the spaghetti squash in half, nuked them in microwave ( covered) for 4 minutes, I turned them once, cooked for another 4 minutes, after they cooled off, I scrapped them and poured them in a big bowl.. I sauteed bunch of shallots with butter, added salt and black peppers, until the shallots caramelized then I poured them on my spaghetti squash, oh, they were so good  

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6490

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6501

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 DSCN6505

Imelda, your osso bucco sounded divine, as did your spaghetti squash. I should confess that I am green-eyed with envy over your beautiful homegrown produce, too. I love the basket full of produce and strained my eyes trying to see the different kinds of peppers y'all grow -- love, love, love different types of peppers. Wish they had more kinds they sold in the regular grocery, but I see more if I go to a grocery catering to Hispanics or Vietnamese, which is always fun but I purchase wayyyy too many things when I go to those types of stores. The grocery we go to regularly, which I really like, just started carrying even fresh poblano peppers on a regular basis. If I don't use poblanos whole to do something with, I chop them up and use them in lieu of green bell peppers.

It's nice of you too cook for your in-laws, too. I think everyone who loves to cook really loves to cook for those who really appreciate it, too. Does Dirk have a brother or sister, as I noticed you said there were six of you there. The other guests lucked into a wonderful meal as well.

248June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Believe it or not yellow summer squash make amazing bread and butter pickles.

I didn't know that, Norm! Bread and butter pickles are the only ones I've had success making; I might have to try my recipe with the yellow summer squash and see what happens.

I tried making dill pickles a couple of years ago but they didn't turn out too well -- hopefully, it was the recipe I used and not me! I opened one of the jars not too long ago and they're better now than they were after I waited the suggested period but still not as good as I expected them to be.

Like Beth, I like ALL types of squash. Brian is a bit more hesitant about it but I remind him he likes eggplant smothered with ground beef (most people use shrimp and/or ground meat down here with eggplant but, of course, he doesn't eat seafood) and that eggplant is a type of squash. I think I should just go ahead and make squash more often and use some ham and some tasso and onions in them and he'd probably have no problems eating them. But I tend to stick to the stuff I know he likes, and that's "my bad"...

249June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:I cooked my Spaghetti squash with sausage and marinara sauce for him too.. and he never gets tired eating his homegrown veggies, we still have dozen of it, waiting to be picked...

Mmm, that crook neck squash looked good cooked with the spinach, especially since I could see sliced peppers in there as well! Yummy. Do you grow spinach, too, Imelda? I would've never thought to put spinach in with the squash but I'll bet it was good -- sure looked it!

250June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 10 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle - got the news on now. How's the storm affecting your area? I'm assuming everything is fine since you're just posting regular stuff........(intuitive of me, huh?)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum