Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner?

+4
bethk
Niagara Visitor
UNCLE JIMMY
Crybaby
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 17]

126June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:31 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That looks so good Norm!

127June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I believe this was a brautwurst or similar bun from the bakery dept. in a grocery store that I trimmed.  I was trying to recreate a chili dog bun I remembered from my childhood.  There was a hot dog stand near the church we attended with buns like this.  A hint:  I found it easier to toast the sides by leaving the center in while in the skillet.  I cut the center out but placed it back in to keep it from collapsing while browning it.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Dscn3011
Norm, that is a winner for sure! ....

128June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:28 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks. It was good.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

129June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks for finding the pic I was thinking of.....and I didn't have to go through my 2,000 pics to locate it! What a pal.

And that, Bugster, is exactly what I was talking about. You can use regular packaged hot dog buns (they do have that same yeasty flavor that the NE buns have) but I found the store bakery buns to be easier to slice, especially if they had not already been sliced open from the side but were "slice-your-own" variety. Fresh Market has a nice store bakery bun.....sometimes with poppy seeds. Pretty yummy with the butter toasted sides!

130June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Thanks for finding the pic I was thinking of.....and I didn't have to go through my 2,000 pics to locate it!  What a pal.

And that, Bugster, is exactly what I was talking about.  You can use regular packaged hot dog buns (they do have that same yeasty flavor that the NE buns have) but I found the store bakery buns to be easier to slice, especially if they had not already been sliced open from the side but were "slice-your-own" variety.  Fresh Market has a nice store bakery bun.....sometimes with poppy seeds.  Pretty yummy with the butter toasted sides!
Know what?? .... I was just thinking ( duh! )...
I wonder how hot dogs would be using Taco shells instead of buns?
I would imagine less calories? No?

131June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:29 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You might get a lower calorie count but would you really think you were eating a hot dog???

I much prefer, for my guilty pleasure, to have a hot dog or smoked sausage smothered in sauce with chopped onions on the bun Norm made. Calories be damned! When I want a chili dog ~ THAT'S what I want!

LOL

132June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Here's a pic I found in my file.....when you don't have a bun....what do you use?

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 092413

And you can't really see the browned edges, but here's another one (you can tell it's a 'regular' bun that's been trimmed because the sides are so thin):

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 07-14-12d

and one with Jimmy's Greek Hot Dog Sauce:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 10.03.15

133June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Do you ever make something, take a pic of it and then, MUCH later, wonder who made the meal? I don't remember EVER making 'Crispy Skinned Salmon & Fried Rice' ~ yet, there it is, on MY dinner plates and MY table........??????????? What the heck???

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 052214a-1

134June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

When we were kids, there were a lot of no hot dog or hamburger buns.
We ate it on regular bread toasted. Period! Mom wasn't buying buns at 23 cents; when bread could do the same thing.

135June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Do you ever make something, take a pic of it and then, MUCH later, wonder who made the meal?  I don't remember EVER making 'Crispy Skinned Salmon & Fried Rice' ~ yet, there it is, on MY dinner plates and MY table........???????????  What the heck???

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 052214a-1
Uhh??? What the heck are you smoking Beth?....or drinking?

136June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:47 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:When we were kids, there were a lot of no hot dog or hamburger buns.
We ate it on regular bread toasted. Period! Mom wasn't buying buns at 23 cents; when bread could do the same thing.

Same at MY house, Jimmy.....bread ~ Wonder White Bread (or it's store brand equivilent) ~ was sandwich bread, toast, hot dog buns, hamburger buns, grilled cheese....whatever! LOL

Thank heavens for our awning (compliments of DD#1) ~ I don't have to stand in the pouring rain (normal afternoon thundershower) to tend tonight's chicken on the grill:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 IMG_20170613_164225065_HDR

137June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prep was super easy tonight.....I did EVERYTHING yesterday before Dane got called away to help his sister.  All I had to do was cook everything ~ spatchcocked chicken on the grill, sauteed zucchini, summer squash & onions in the cast iron skillet and roasted carrots & parsnips (evoo, s&p) roasted in the toaster oven.

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 IMG_20170613_171325777_HDR

(for whatever reason, my pic isn't showing on my computer..........if YOU can't see it, just refer to 100 others just like it! LOL)

138June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

Uhh??? What the heck are you smoking Beth?....or drinking?

Honest to goodness, Jimmy......I do NOT remember ever making salmon. I don't even like the stuff. Maybe I made it for Dane ~ he loves the fish. But I don't recall this at all.

(a memory is a terrible thing to lose!)

139June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I went to the store for a loaf of bread today and saw some really fresh local sweet corn....Hmmmm, corn would go really good with a BLT!

So, at the table Mr. Amazing comments, "Don't bother with the corn. It's REALLY bad."

To which I respond, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I thought it looked fresh but I must have been mistaken."

And he continued, "It's OK, but just don't eat it because it's so bad....."

Well, you know how that turned out ~ some of the best tasting corn on the planet!

Made an Asian dressing for some quick slaw to go with our meal:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 IMG_20170614_171119732

140June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:28 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had sandwiches from Piggy's Deli tonight.
Ham & Swiss for me, and Liverwurst for Tina.
We had lemon chiffon pastry tarts that Tina made.

141June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having the leftover pork & sauerkraut tonight. All I'll have to do is mix up some of the noodle batter and drop them into a pot of boiling salted water.

I was finally able to get back to water mobility class today ~ seems like I've been away from it for months. First was the trip to Atlanta and then the trip to Ohio and then the pool was closed for resurfacing. I'm tired but I do feel good. I'll have to make myself a note so I don't forget to go on Saturday!

142June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:22 pm

Niagara Visitor

Making some chicken livers and vegetables for myself tonight. I love liver, my fav is rabbit livers. When hubby used to slaughter our rabbits, he gave me the "innards". I cooked the hearts, kidneys etc. for the dogs treats, but we ate the liver. Yum, Yumm, yumm. Lots of onions, black pepper and not much else. I can't buy rabbit liver, but chicken livers are a close second. I just knocked on my next door neighbour's door. She's a nurse and works odd shifts. She's never had chicken livers but is game to try! Gonna microwave her a potato, just in case.

143June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm not a liver fan....Dane loves chicken livers and baby beef liver, cooked the way my mom did for him, medium rare done in a cast iron grill pan with just a touch of oil. I use to be able to cook it for him but anymore it just gets to me and I can't do it. There's something about the look, feel & smell that turns me off. But he can order it when we go out (and there are some places that fix it just the way he likes it) so he's good with that.

Had a happy surprise this afternoon. DD#1 (Andrea) called and asked if we had plans for the weekend. She saw a good price on a last minute flight and she's coming tomorrow morning and going back Monday evening. I haven't a clue what we'll do but it should be fun whatever it ends up being!

144June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:19 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="UNCLE JIMMY]Tina is running Windows 10 ( upgraded from Windows 7 ). Her problem is the mouse cursor, goes away, and takes whatever page she had open, and it disappears. She does not use the mouse touch pad. She uses a wireless mouse. It's a problem that Microsoft had when they wrote the program for the pad. [/quote]

I’m confused, Jimmy. Is Tina currently having the problem with whatever she had open disappearing (I’m guessing you mean it’s closing) along with the cursor, or is that the problem that caused her to now use a wireless mouse?

I connected my wireless mouse this morning and for a short while, it seemed to solve the problem, but not for long. (I did read online that Hewlett Packard computers are having problems with Synaptics Touch Pads – the only reason that brand name stuck with me is because once HP put another copy of Windows 10 on my machine, one of the four things left on my computer was a file named Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.)

This morning, after I connected the new wireless mouse, I tried to fine solutions by googling. I thought I found but rejoiced a bit too soon. Even though I connected the wireless mouse, I could still control things if I touched the touchpad. So I found out how to totally disable the touchpad and did it. I was soooo excited as it didn’t try to close the one thing I had open – Microsoft Edge – for about 15 minutes while I read some of the news in my feed. Then, of course, it started again.

I’m going to call HP tech support again tomorrow and see what else they can do – I just had to take a couple of days off, as I was burnt out after all those days in front of the laptop. But I’m not ready to give up and buy another laptop yet – not yet! I’m going to see if they have any fixes for the driver that drives the touchpad – I see it updates every so often so perhaps they can give me back the driver this computer had when I bought it and it operated correctly. I know I have the touchpad disabled but I know it’s not the wireless mouse, as that’s brand new – or I can find out what other files control the cursor in any fashion.

This is another message I typed out in Word….

145June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:06 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
\"UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina is running Windows 10 ( upgraded from Windows 7 ).  Her problem is the mouse cursor, goes away, and takes whatever page she had open, and it disappears.  She does not use the mouse touch pad. She uses a wireless mouse. It's a problem that Microsoft had when they wrote the program for the pad.

I’m confused, Jimmy.  Is Tina currently having the problem with whatever she had open disappearing (I’m guessing you mean it’s closing) along with the cursor, or is that the problem that caused her to now use a wireless mouse?

I connected my wireless mouse this morning and for a short while, it seemed to solve the problem, but not for long.  (I did read online that Hewlett Packard computers are having problems with Synaptics Touch Pads – the only reason that brand name stuck with me is because once HP put another copy of Windows 10 on my machine, one of the four things left on my computer was a file named Synaptics Pointing Device Driver.)

This morning, after I connected the new wireless mouse, I tried to fine solutions by googling. I thought I found but rejoiced a bit too soon.  Even though I connected the wireless mouse, I could still control things if I touched the touchpad.  So I found out how to totally disable the touchpad and did it.  I was soooo excited as it didn’t try to close the one thing I had open – Microsoft Edge – for about 15 minutes while I read some of the news in my feed.  Then, of course, it started again.

I’m going to call HP tech support again tomorrow and see what else they can do – I just had to take a couple of days off, as I was burnt out after all those days in front of the laptop.  But I’m not ready to give up and buy another laptop yet – not yet! I’m going to see if they have any fixes for the driver that drives the touchpad – I see it updates every so often so perhaps they can give me back the driver this computer had when I bought it and it operated correctly.  I know I have the touchpad disabled but I know it’s not the wireless mouse, as that’s brand new – or I can find out what other files control the cursor in any fashion.

This is another message I typed out in Word….
Yes, the cursor disappears, and she loses the page she was on,
but, if she gets the mouse pointer back, she will get that lost page back if she moves the cursor in sight. This never was a problem with windows 7. It all happened after she mistakenly uploaded windows 10.

146June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:16 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

For dinner today, we had Moussaka. Had beans with ham pieces ....and potatoes.

147June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:03 am

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:I'm not a liver fan....Dane loves chicken livers and baby beef liver, cooked the way my mom did for him, medium rare done in a cast iron grill pan with just a touch of oil.  I use to be able to cook it for him but anymore it just gets to me and I can't do it.  There's something about the look, feel & smell that turns me off.  But he can order it when we go out (and there are some places that fix it just the way he likes it) so he's good with that.

Had a happy surprise this afternoon.  DD#1 (Andrea) called and asked if we had plans for the weekend.  She saw a good price on a last minute flight and she's coming tomorrow morning and going back Monday evening.  I haven't a clue what we'll do but it should be fun whatever it ends up being!

What a wonderful surprise! Have a great weekend

I had the liver in the pan, onions, peppers and radishes in another pan, and thought about my neighbour. She's a nurse who works different hours, so I knocked on her door. Asked if she'd like to try my dinner. She had never had liver before, loved it, and took the left overs home for lunch tomorrow. I also microwaved a potato for us. It was a very large potato!

148June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:08 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lore, your neighbor is lucky to have such a good cook living close by! It must be a wonderful surprise for her to get an impromptu invitation to dinner and find it's absolutely delicious. Good for both of you!

149June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:You know what REALLY makes me PO'd about your computer problems, Michelle?

I'll tell you what it is.............I don't get to hear more about the remodeling / redecorating you have going on. That's what REALLY gets me. And we all know, it's ALL ABOUT ME!

(I do hope the geeks can come to some sort of simple resolution so we can get back to the important stuff and you don't have to spend your time babysitting the laptop.)

Me, too, Beth! Right now, I’ve copied your message above into Word and made some autotext inserts so I can add Cooking Friends quote marks to messages so I can answer them or comment on them while in Word and then quickly paste them into the forum. If I have the forum open and minimize it quickly, the cursor doesn’t close it, as it only closes things using the top right “x”. Later on today or tomorrow, I’m going to get back on the phone with HP and see if there’s anything they can do. I did check to see if there’s an authorized HP service group here and saw that Geek Squad in Best Buy is indeed an authorized service provider; hopefully, they might let me take the computer there instead of mailing it off somewhere. I’m determined to get this one fixed, even if I end up changing my mind down the line…

If anyone has a problem with me discussing these problems in this area of the forum, just let me know and I will post it in another area. I won’t mind if some of you are getting bored with all this so just let me know.

150June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 Empty Re: June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

[quote="bethkThank heavens for our awning (compliments of DD#1) ~ I don't have to stand in the pouring rain (normal afternoon thundershower) to tend tonight's chicken on the grill:

June, 2017 ~ What's for dinner? - Page 6 IMG_20170613_164225065_HDR[/quote]

That is SO cool, Beth! Was that a present for Mother's Day or Father's Day?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum