Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner?

+4
NormM
Crybaby
jetfan27
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 11]

26March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:53 am

NormM

NormM

I asked Charlie to give me an updated version of his recipe and here it is.

Kalbi (Korean Beef Short Rib BBQ) 
Note: Marinade a min of 10 to 12hrs
• Beef Short Ribs (3 to 4lbs)
• 1/2 cup SOY SAUCE
• 1 and 1/2 cup SESAME OIL
• 1 cup COKE
• 6 Tbsp SUGAR
• 5 Tbsp WATER
• 4 Tbsp SWEET RICE WINE or (Sherry) (Do not use rice vinegar wine, there is a difference)
• 3 Tbsp CORN SYRUP
• 2 Tbsp GARLIC
• 1/4 tsp GINGER
• Chopped GREEN ONIONS (about 1 cup)
• Dash of PEPPER
• 1 Can of Jumex Pear Flavored (this can usually be found in the authentic food aisle and is a blue colored can)
• May substitute Jumex Pear Flavored with any sort of pear concentrate, feel free to try other fruits, apple juice is another great substitute

1.Wash rubs and set aside.
Due to the way the ribs are cut, which is through the bone, there may be tiny shards of bone (usually happens when butcher's blade has not recently been sharpened). 

2. Mix all ingredients, except ribs, together in a large bag. Note: Recommended to use a bag large enough that will fit all ribs and ingredients. 

3. Set about 1 cup of marinade aside for basting later

4. Place ribs in marinade bag. Recommended to use a large cookie baking sheet to lay bag flat so all ribs may evenly soak and turn bag over at least once half way through marinade time. 

5. Use propane grill on medium to medium low heat and place meat on grill.

6. When ribs are 80 to 90% done, start basting ribs with marinade set aside in step 3. Brush both sides and allow heat to caramelize onto meat.

7. Serve with white rice and other Korean side dishes (ideally Kim Chee)

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

27March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Did you mean 1 - 1/2 CUP of Sesame Oil? Or should that be Tsp. or Tablespoon?

28March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:37 pm

NormM

NormM

I thought that was a lot of oil too.  I will ask him when he gets up.

29March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:37 pm

NormM

NormM

He said he uses a lot of sesame oil, that you can cut it to a cup or 3/4 of a cup but he thinks it tastes better with more than you'd think was enough.

30March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Interesting. I've never used more than 1 - 1/2 tsp.

But that's probably because it's pretty pricey when you start thinking of using a cup or more.....and I'm a real cheapskate! LOL

31March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:05 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I saw a recipe in a magazine while in the waiting room at the hospital (I'm probably going to go straight to hell because I STOLE said magazine instead of writing down the recipe).

It's credited to Daphne Oz, she's on the TV program, "The Chew".....not one I would normally watch. But it's for braised chicken thighs with olives & marcona almonds. I'm giving it a try tonight.

32March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:58 pm

NormM

NormM

I buy the oil.  Charlie probably does not care about the expense. Smile

33March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I buy the oil.  Charlie probably does not care about the expense. Smile

Gee, in that case, would you send me a quart? Hahahahahahaha!

34March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I made Braised Chicken with Almonds & Olives for supper. The original recipe, credited to Daphne Oz in Good Housekeeping Magazine, called for chicken thighs but I used the leftover pieces of the whole chicken I bought the other day and used the breast from for our chicken salad. I had 2 thighs, 2 legs & 2 wings (my favorite piece). The back/ribs went into the stock bag in the freezer.

Dane surprised me....he thought it was good ~ even WITH the toasted almonds, something he's not usually a fan of. I served it over some leftover brown rice and made butter glazed carrots as a side.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170305_164639046

The recipe is in the main dish section, along with my notes. Oh, BTW, I did not list the garlic as I never use it. But for those who do, you know to add it!

35March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:32 pm

NormM

NormM

I do buy it in large amounts.  I get it in a metal container that is almost half a gallon. I imagine it is cheaper per ounce than when sold in smaller amounts.

36March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:I do buy it in large amounts.  I get it in a metal container that is almost half a gallon. I imagine it is cheaper per ounce than when sold in smaller amounts.

If I bought it in that size I would have no place to store it in the fridge. It would go rancid before I could use it all up (years I am sure).

37March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:14 pm

NormM

NormM

I don't keep mine in the refrigerator and even though people say it goes bad quickly, I have not found that to be true.  I have had olive oil go off sooner.

38March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:36 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight, we had a lasagna that Tina put together. It was bland. I won't eat it again; it was that bad. Oh Well!

BTW.... Tina always comes home from medical visits with torn out pages of the magazines they leave for people to read. Bad Bad I tell her. Filthy germs from sick people on them magazines.
I won't even touch them when I go to the Drs. I bring my own pen to fill out forms too!
Be careful what you touch!

39March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I always carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me. I also keep one in the car side pocket.

40March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I always carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me. I also keep one in the car side pocket.

Some hand sanitizers don't work well. I keep a washcloth in a zip lock baggie with water and 67% alcohol.

41March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:21 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

YAY!!!..... Hamburgers tonight!!.... NO Spaghetti; NO chicken; and NO Soup!

42March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Attention to all: In  case you have not heard, Tyson Chicken has found bird flu in their meats:
Here is the story from FOX:

NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of chickens have been destroyed at a Tennessee chicken farm due to a bird flu outbreak, and 30 other farms within a six-mile radius are being quarantined.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says 73,500 chickens were destroyed and will not enter the food system. The highly pathogenic H7 avian influenza, or HPAI, can be deadly to chickens and turkeys.

Related Headlines
Cases of 2 5-lb bags of
Company recalls 12K pounds of chicken bites
Kids II has recalled the Oball Rattle
Rattles recalled due to choking hazard
Trader Joe's. (Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Trader Joe's recalls apple sauce for glass
The breeder supplies Tyson Foods Inc. The company said that it doesn't expect its chicken business to be disrupted, but shares of the Springdale, Arkansas, food producer slid 3 percent in early trading Monday.

Tennessee's Department of Agriculture declined to name the breeder and would only say it is located in the state's Lincoln County, just west of Chattanooga.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Who knows what that means to humans???

Just be careful when eating chicken..

43March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:Attention to all: In  case you have not heard, Tyson Chicken has found bird flu in their meats:
Here is the story from FOX:

NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of chickens have been destroyed at a Tennessee chicken farm due to a bird flu outbreak, and 30 other farms within a six-mile radius are being quarantined.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says 73,500 chickens were destroyed and will not enter the food system. The highly pathogenic H7 avian influenza, or HPAI, can be deadly to chickens and turkeys.

Related Headlines
Cases of 2 5-lb bags of
Company recalls 12K pounds of chicken bites
Kids II has recalled the Oball Rattle
Rattles recalled due to choking hazard
Trader Joe's. (Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
Trader Joe's recalls apple sauce for glass
The breeder supplies Tyson Foods Inc. The company said that it doesn't expect its chicken business to be disrupted, but shares of the Springdale, Arkansas, food producer slid 3 percent in early trading Monday.

Tennessee's Department of Agriculture declined to name the breeder and would only say it is located in the state's Lincoln County, just west of Chattanooga.

Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Who knows what that means to humans???

Just be careful when eating chicken..

Thanks for the warning Cindy!
I will put the word out! ..... Oh Dear, what else? ....They should spray them with Lysol... No

44March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The burgers were great. Cheeseburgers actually. Popped open a can of Bushes beans, and ummmm! Peace in the Jaws, and enjoyment with each chew!

45March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yesterday I drove Lyn to Maitland for her last knee replacement check Dr. appointment.  Traffic was awful, as it always is in Orlando.  But we got there and everything checked out great.  So, then it was off to shop at Trader Joe's!  But first, we had to find someplace for lunch ~ we found an area with a huge amount of restaurants, all clustered together and with parking underneath....hmmmm, no problem finding a parking spot.  

We walked up the stairway and started checking out the restaurants.....all 'up scale' or at least 'up charged' according to the menus posted outside the door.  The first place had steaks....in the $44 - $54 range ~ Side of truffled mashed potatoes at $10.75.  Darn! they were not open for lunch....so, as we walked the avenue along all the different places, we found that none of the restaurants were open for lunch.  If the first place was any indication, it was a bit past MY spending limit for lunch!  LOL

So, off to Trader Joe's we went!  Turns out, at the end of the building Trader Joe's is in (this was a newly built complex) there was a non-descript looking restaurant.  Not too much on the outside to even know it was a restaurant.  But, hey, why not give it a try?

It was called Slate..(you can check out the menu at www.slateorlando.com). and when we walked in we both knew we were in for a treat!  They had a couple different bar areas and and open kitchen where you can sit and watch the chefs at work ~ guess where WE chose to sit?

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_114546465

The waitress explained it was an electic 'farm-to-table' with a big southern slant restaurant.  They have smoked meats and a wood fired pizza oven.  First thing Lyn noticed was Fried Green Tomatoes on the menu.....so, of course, we had to try those.  Came with peppadew peppers, remoulaude and feta cheese (which we asked for on the side and Lyn got all of).  

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_114940958

The menu choices were extensive and it was hard to choose so when we placed our order I asked, 'If you had to choose between the smoked brisket sandwich or the pasta carbonara, which would you pick?'  She said the smoked brisket was probably their #1 seller, but the pasta, with guanciale, peas and a coddled egg was the more unique of the choices.  So, the pasta it was!  And it was delicious! Instead of some thinner pasta, they chose buccattini.  There was a lot of chopped and fried guanciale (something I've wanted to try but have never found either in a grocery store or on a restaurant menu).  The coddled egg, when broken, perfectly coated the pasta and made a wonderfully creamy sauce...the peas made it sweet.  

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_120715225

Lyn had as difficult time as I deciding what to order.  She finally settled on a Chicken, Brie, Apple and fried Brussels Sprout pizza.  It was, according to her, the BEST pizza she's ever eaten!  Now, I've been with Lyn at a lot of lunches.  Her pizza was about 10"-12", 8 slices.  Normally, she can only eat 3, maybe 4 slices.  When we were done, she had only 2 pieces to take home.  We discussed how she could make the same pizza at home, using store bought pizza dough.

The crust was thin...and they cook it in one of those wonderful wood fired pizza ovens....I don't think there was any sauce, at least no sauce that I could discern.  It was simply chicken breast, brie, thin slices of cooked apple, and shaved Brussels sprouts that had been flash fried to turn them into a crisp topping.

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_120445113

It was really great fun to sit and watch the chefs at work.  The girl working right in front of us was in charge of salads and the fryer for our fried green tomatoes.  She never stood still, that's for sure!

After lunch we walked over to Trader Joe's and just took our time walking up and down the aisles checking out all the unique and different products that aren't available to us locally in The Villages.  Lyn LOVES cheese so we spent a bit of time discussing the different types and how they could be used for different dishes.  We found a 'brick' of brie...about 1-1/2" square by 6" long, called 'Slicing Brie'.  I said that was what she should get to use for her chicken/brie pizza.  Easier, and smaller, than a wheel of brie.

I didn't want Dane to be left alone when I was in Orlando with Lyn so we had called his sister and asked her to come and spend the day with him.  When I got home I found out she couldn't spend the night so I had to cook a quick supper so she could get home before dark (we old people don't like to drive when it's dark).  I had planned on the meal so it wasn't difficult to just move up the time line to get it cooked early.

I had thawed out the last of my marinated London Broil.  The day before I had cooked up a pot of Lady Peas with onions/carrots/celery & canned tomatoes w/chiles.  I had also cleaned and par-cooked some green beans and slow roasted a tray full of grape tomatoes.  So, all was ready to be quickly grilled or reheated.  I boiled down the marinade to use as a sauce for the meat.  I tossed the green beans with some evoo and s&p and roasted them on top of the tomatoes in a 450° oven to give them just a bit of color.  

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_175232364_HDR

So, supper was good and she made it on the road with plenty of time to make it home before the darkness made driving difficult for her.

46March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:02 am

NormM

NormM

Sounds like you found a great place to eat and had a great fun day.

47March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:50 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Sounds like an article from a food critic magazine. The pizza pie surely looked good!

I always wondered how those food critics get those jobs

I guess like you and Lynn did. Your critique would definitely make me buy your magazine. You did a great job Beth.

48March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn & I have the best luck in just 'finding' some really interesting restaurants. We try to look for 'non-chain' restaurants, or, at the very least, a new chain to us. That's why we enjoy traveling together often.

Honestly, from the outside, this place was not exactly 'memorable' ~ but once you walked inside it was really neat. And, OK, so I might as well admit it.....I even took a pic of the restroom doors! Most places have a sign that says 'women' or 'men'. Here's what you had to choose at Slate:

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_123842636

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 IMG_20170306_123850395

49March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:19 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Img_3810
March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Img_3912
March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Img_3911
Hey guys!. Long time since I was here. Made some Kaiser rolls and wanted to show them to you. Haven't been baking much. We are on diets and can't eat starch. I HATE it! Hope everyone is well. We are  enjoying our " old fart " community very much. And I'm still working

50March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? - Page 2 Empty Re: March 2017, What's cooking For Dinner? Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

STEVEN!!! It's so good to hear from you!!!

Your rolls, AS USUAL, look fabulous. And, like you, we've been avoiding carbs. Mr. Amazing lost a little over 30 lbs. on the diet and I've only gained 3! I cannot tell you how depressing it is being an old woman.....

Glad you guys are enjoying the 'active adult' retirement community ~ it's kind of nice being surrounded by peers.

Hope you stop by more often ~ it's great hearing from you and knowing all is well.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum