Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

+3
cookingirl
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 9]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Would you believe?
Tina bought a sub up at the church, to help the kids go on a trip. She ordered an Italian sub for me, and a container of chli with beans for her.
3 hours later, I check my sandwich that had a label ( Italian ), and low and behold, the darn thing was a Turkey sub!!..... I flipped out!

SOOoooooo! Tina ran over to this place called "The sub Shack", and as you can see below, i'm now happy.
So, I'm all set for super bowl watching tonight.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 YnCLQ1

bethk

bethk
Admin

Glad you got a real sub, Jimmy. Kids aren't the best at marking things for their fundraisers......

We spent the day at Dane's sister's. When we were there at Christmas I noticed her kitchen cabinets were pulling away from the ceiling & wall. So, since we were going for a visit Mr. Amazing packed up all the tools in the car and he spent the day reattaching her upper cabinets. He was SO disgusted when he figured out they had not bothered to secure into the wall studs ~ just used dry wall screws into whatever......and she's been in the house for 30 years. It's amazing they didn't fall off years ago.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Glad you got a real sub, Jimmy.  Kids aren't the best at marking things for their fundraisers......

We spent the day at Dane's sister's.  When we were there at Christmas I noticed her kitchen cabinets were pulling away from the ceiling & wall.  So, since we were going for a visit Mr. Amazing packed up all the tools in the car and he spent the day reattaching her upper cabinets.  He was SO disgusted when he figured out they had not bothered to secure into the wall studs ~ just used dry wall screws into whatever......and she's been in the house for 30 years.  It's amazing they didn't fall off years ago.

If I had 3 more rolls, I could feed 4 people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dad used to call guys that did jobs like that, "Ham-n- Eggers".....

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, so sorry to hear of Uncle Gabe's passing; please pass that along to Tina.

And Liam is to-die-for cute! How did he enjoy his trip to the Mall?

And Cyn, we're all thinking of you and Artie!

How about that Superbowl!!!!! Of course, we rooted for the Patriots but we'd turned off the game about halftime -- too painful to watch. Brian fell asleep but I kept flipping back to the game just to check. Once New England scored a touchdown, I woke Brian up. Without a doubt, the most exciting SB game I've ever seen. And Overtime, too! Thank goodness we won the toss.

P.S. Atlanta is a big rival of the Saints!

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nothing cooked.... what a mixed up day today, but it's all simmered down now.

Uncle Gabe ....with no pain, no suffering, passed away this morning 10:08 am.
Poor Tina, was on her way to the orthopedic doctors to have her knee looked at.
Past couple days she is in pain and swelling.
On the way there, she gets the bad news on her cell phone from the nursing home.
She had me make an afternoon appointment, while she ran to finalize at the home and at the funeral parlor.
She gets to the Dr. at 1:45 PM and there was a six car crash on the hill climbing out of the valley; knocked out the power, and the nurse said take aspirin, and just call begining of next week, and they will squeeze her in.

Anyway.... I see some tuna salad. I'll grab a 1/2 sandwich, and then later, I'm thinking of a BLT with cheese to swap for the bacon; with lots of mayo.  L O T S!

Jimmy and Tina, my deepest condolence on the passing of Uncle Gabe.. May he rest in peace

I've not posted for a while, but I visited as much as I could, tried to catch up.. today Dirk is going for a long hike, he planned to do 14 miles hike, I don't like the idea of him walking in the cold and dark in the middle of nowhere, but he wants to do it.. since I can't fight it, I'm joining him, I prayed hard for his safe hike and made some tortilla wrap for his lunch bag, I put 2 granola bars and couple of oranges, I hope he wont get lost in the dark.. he did it several times before and got home after 9 pm, the trail is a good 70 minutes drive one way...

I baked some stuffed bellpepper for his late supper, I stuffed the peppers with browned sausage, onions, jalapeno, lots of cilantro and green onions, a cup of cooked rice and some cheese

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 16507926_10212336716199395_8364569338262544429_n

and for me ME time, I had my own comfort food, fried fish with chili paste

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 16603155_10212336716719408_9095574834874946292_n

I still have a couple more hours till he gets home.. oh my, I spent most of my day on my couch watching reruns of CSI Miami and Netflix Cool

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, so sorry to hear of Uncle Gabe's passing; please pass that along to Tina.

And Liam is to-die-for cute!  How did he enjoy his trip to the Mall?  

And Cyn, we're all thinking of you and Artie!  

How about that Superbowl!!!!!  Of course, we rooted for the Patriots but we'd turned off the game about halftime -- too painful to watch.  Brian fell asleep but I kept flipping back to the game just to check.  Once New England scored a touchdown, I woke Brian up.  Without a doubt, the most exciting SB game I've ever seen.  And Overtime, too!  Thank goodness we won the toss.

P.S.  Atlanta is a big rival of the Saints!

Thanks Michelle... He had a nice funeral.

Liam enjoyed the mall, and was a good boy. He was facinated with all the lights and people....
His Gramps had him dressed for football for the big game, but wrong team. Son Jimmy wishes it was the team that was in the game.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 48MBdt

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, dear, Imelda.....I know what you mean about worrying about MEN! It drives me crazy that Dane gets up to go to the gym to work out without crowds at 2:30 A.M. ~ who does stuff like that????? I sometimes wake up and cannot get back to sleep because I'm afraid some crazy will see him there alone or wait for him to exit the building to hit him over the head. He assures me he is fine and it's when he LIKES to work out.

But, like you, there is nothing I can do about it.

I made a grilled pork tenderloin and spooned some of the kalbi marinade over it because I like the taste on just about any meat. We split a sweet potato and I made him happy with a pot of lima beans.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170206_172326954

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Nothing cooked.... what a mixed up day today, but it's all simmered down now.

Uncle Gabe ....with no pain, no suffering, passed away this morning 10:08 am.
Poor Tina, was on her way to the orthopedic doctors to have her knee looked at.
Past couple days she is in pain and swelling.
On the way there, she gets the bad news on her cell phone from the nursing home.
She had me make an afternoon appointment, while she ran to finalize at the home and at the funeral parlor.
She gets to the Dr. at 1:45 PM and there was a six car crash on the hill climbing out of the valley; knocked out the power, and the nurse said take aspirin, and just call begining of next week, and they will squeeze her in.

Anyway.... I see some tuna salad. I'll grab a 1/2 sandwich, and then later, I'm thinking of a BLT with cheese to swap for the bacon; with lots of mayo.  L O T S!

Jimmy and Tina, my deepest condolence on the passing of Uncle Gabe.. May he rest in peace

I've not posted for a while, but I visited as much as I could, tried to catch up.. today Dirk is going for a long hike, he planned to do 14 miles hike, I don't like the idea of him walking in the cold and dark in the middle of nowhere, but he wants to do it.. since I can't fight it, I'm joining him, I prayed hard for his safe hike and made some tortilla wrap for his lunch bag, I put 2 granola bars and couple of oranges, I hope he wont get lost in the dark.. he did it several times before and got home after 9 pm, the trail is a good 70 minutes drive one way...

I baked some stuffed bellpepper for his late supper, I stuffed the peppers with browned sausage, onions, jalapeno, lots of cilantro and green onions, a cup of cooked rice and some cheese

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 16507926_10212336716199395_8364569338262544429_n

and for me ME time, I had my own comfort food, fried fish with chili paste

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 16603155_10212336716719408_9095574834874946292_n

I still have a couple more hours till he gets home.. oh my, I spent most of my day on my couch watching reruns of CSI Miami and Netflix Cool

Thank you Imelda. I will relay the kind words to Tina.

The food you cooked is so delicious looking!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, dear, Imelda.....I know what you mean about worrying about MEN!  It drives me crazy that Dane gets up to go to the gym to work out without crowds at 2:30 A.M. ~ who does stuff like that?????  I sometimes wake up and cannot get back to sleep because I'm afraid some crazy will see him there alone or wait for him to exit the building to hit him over the head.  He assures me he is fine and it's when he LIKES to work out.  

But, like you, there is nothing I can do about it.

I made a grilled pork tenderloin and spooned some of the kalbi marinade over it because I like the taste on just about any meat.  We split a sweet potato and I made him happy with a pot of lima beans.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170206_172326954

Wow...looks good Beth.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Liam enjoyed the mall, and was a good boy. He was facinated with all the lights and people....
His Gramps had him dressed for football for the big game, but wrong team. Son Jimmy wishes it was the team that was in the game.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 48MBdt

Tell your son that Liam looked fantastic!  I'm sooo glad he has Saints gear to wear.  I'd wondered if Jimmy had gotten him one and had planned to ask you.  Go Saints!  Hopefully, one day the Saints will go again and win again.  I told Brian the other day that I'm glad we went to the Superbowl once and WON IT.  At least we got to see it once in our lifetime!  Even though I'd love another shot at it, it was a grand, grand day and just super for N.O.  I don't know if some of you remember, but my house is in an area called Algiers Point in N.O, which is across the Mississippi River from the French Quarter.  When the final play happened and we were officially the winners, Brian ran outside to blow his stadium horn and we could HEAR the crowd screaming from the Quarter.  Evidently, all the peeps watching the game in bars down there ran outside and screamed.  It was too much to witness, I swear.

Tell Jimmy, "Maybe next year!"

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina ran over to this place called "The sub Shack", and as you can see below, i'm now happy.

Good looking sandwich, Jimmy!  Nothing like an Italian sub, IMHO.  

I made a big pot (well, a small pot for us) of chili on Saturday so it could sit in the fridge overnight for the game.  It was so good.  I made a small enough batch (the original amount of the recipe, for 8 servings) so I could make it in the biggest Le Creuset Dutch Oven, my favorite pot for stewing something like chili.  I'd made this in the past for up to 24 servings, so I had to use one of my large stockpots to make it in.  I got that chili recipe from Bon Appetit in 1988 so I've been making it almost 30 years!  Right before finding that recipe, a girlfriend of my sister from Texas made chili at her house, which was the best I'd ever had.  She said one of the secrets for the good texture was not to use ground meat but to chop the meat in cubes instead, something I've stuck to over the years.  Still making it per the recipe except to use more fresh jalapenos, and sometimes a tad more chili powder and more cumin, depending on my taste buds at the time.

This time, I had better chili powder than I normally use -- freshly purchased Ancho chili powder and New Mexico chili powder.  Much better than the larger container I've had on hand for a while.  I only used 4 fresh jalapeno peppers but they were huge -- about 5 inches long!  But I take my time and remove the pith and the seeds and slice those puppies as thin as I can before chopping them up -- so the jalapenos come out sized like minced garlic.  Spreads well in the chili so there are no surprise "hot spots."  All I had to do on Sunday was grate the cheese, chop some green onions, get out some pickled jalapeno peppers, and some sour cream.  I had three Hass avocados I'd bought the Monday before but they were still harder than... well, still rock hard, so we had to pass on those.  I'm more of a fan of those than Brian so all was well.  

Made a Bacardi Rum Cake for dessert with a French Vanilla cake mix and French Vanilla pudding, which came out delicious, even though I forgot to add the rum to the cake.  It had been in the oven for about 12 minutes but I pulled it out and added the rum, mixing it best I could in the Bundt pan.  You would've never known I'd screwed it up, as it tasted just fine and the texture of the cake was just like it always is.  Of course, once it has cooled, you spend a lot of time dousing it with a rum glaze which takes it over the top.  Sometimes I make one with chocolate cake and chocolate pudding -- Brian is a BIG chocolate fun so he loves those, too.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina ran over to this place called "The sub Shack", and as you can see below, i'm now happy.

Good looking sandwich, Jimmy!  Nothing like an Italian sub, IMHO.  

I made a big pot (well, a small pot for us) of chili on Saturday so it could sit in the fridge overnight for the game.  It was so good.  I made a small enough batch (the original amount of the recipe, for 8 servings) so I could make it in the biggest Le Creuset Dutch Oven, my favorite pot for stewing something like chili.  I'd made this in the past for up to 24 servings, so I had to use one of my large stockpots to make it in.  I got that chili recipe from Bon Appetit in 1988 so I've been making it almost 30 years!  Right before finding that recipe, a girlfriend of my sister from Texas made chili at her house, which was the best I'd ever had.  She said one of the secrets for the good texture was not to use ground meat but to chop the meat in cubes instead, something I've stuck to over the years.  Still making it per the recipe except to use more fresh jalapenos, and sometimes a tad more chili powder and more cumin, depending on my taste buds at the time.

This time, I had better chili powder than I normally use -- freshly purchased Ancho chili powder and New Mexico chili powder.  Much better than the larger container I've had on hand for a while.  I only used 4 fresh jalapeno peppers but they were huge -- about 5 inches long!  But I take my time and remove the pith and the seeds and slice those puppies as thin as I can before chopping them up -- so the jalapenos come out sized like minced garlic.  Spreads well in the chili so there are no surprise "hot spots."  All I had to do on Sunday was grate the cheese, chop some green onions, get out some pickled jalapeno peppers, and some sour cream.  I had three Hass avocados I'd bought the Monday before but they were still harder than... well, still rock hard, so we had to pass on those.  I'm more of a fan of those than Brian so all was well.  

Made a Bacardi Rum Cake for dessert with a French Vanilla cake mix and French Vanilla pudding, which came out delicious, even though I forgot to add the rum to the cake.  It had been in the oven for about 12 minutes but I pulled it out and added the rum, mixing it best I could in the Bundt pan.  You would've never known I'd screwed it up, as it tasted just fine and the texture of the cake was just like it always is.  Of course, once it has cooled, you spend a lot of time dousing it with a rum glaze which takes it over the top.  Sometimes I make one with chocolate cake and chocolate pudding -- Brian is a BIG chocolate fun so he loves those, too.

It all sounds so good Michelle.
I always used ground beef for the chili I made from scratch, and also cut small dices of beef and sometimes pork. It really uplifts the texture and taste. Lately though, I have to just use the ground beef, because Tina cannot tolerate the pieces of meat too large. Digestion issues!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I knew I had a couple thick cut rib eye steaks in the freezer (NOW, I've got one.....) so today was the day I decided to pull one out and satisfy my beef craving. Even with a fair amount of fat running through it, it was still one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Baked WHITE potato and red beets finished off the meal. Oh, DARN! I just remembered the salads I had prepped and ready in the refrigerator ~ my poor mind is failing me! Oh, well, I'll just toss 'em in a bag and have 'em tomorrow.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170207_170612820_HDR

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was gnocchi and egg plant rollatini. Picked it up from the factory outlet that makes them for restaurants, and the food industry.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Michelle.... How is it going there in NO? So worried you guys are ok.
We are praying power gets restored soon to ones that lost it!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled some cod out of the freezer.....going to try a 'grill steam' ~ in a foil packet with s&p, evoo, fresh dill & lemon slices. Don't have a clue if it'll be any good but it'll be 'Good-For-Us' ! Asparagus got a wash & air dry and then a tiny bit of evoo and on to a piece of foil to sit on the grill grates and, hopefully, get some toasty bits.

I've got the veg sauteed and the orzo toasted for an Orzo Pilaf....even toasted some slivered almonds (because I LIKE them.....HIM, not so much ~ so I'll tell him I added them for the additional protein! Hahahahaha ~ he buys it every time! I'm SO sneaky....).

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170208_160530395

bethk

bethk
Admin

My meal only had one small flaw.......I would have been 'CHOPPED' (IF I were a contestant on the TV program) because I over cooked the steamed cod. But, in my own defense, I've never done the fish in a foil packet on the grill and I wasn't sure about the timing. Next time I'll know better.

HOWEVER ~ it sure did taste good, even if it was a bit 'toothsome', LOL. The asparagus came to the table with perfect color and taste, NOT overcooked, and the orzo pilaf was really good. I don't get any complaints on having pasta if I stretch it out with a bunch of veg ~ in this case, leeks, carrots, celery & peas....with some slivered almonds added for crunch.

Personally, I was VERY happy with my meal!

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170208_172121307

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Quick supper of New England clam chowder Tina bought at the market.
Then kielbasi and sauerkraut cooked last week.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We had a Katie creation tonight: hot dogs cut in half and grilled till crispy, put on toasted rye bread with Dijon, melted muenster and American cheeses, and dill pickle slices. We were surprised at how much it tasted like a pastrami sandwich.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We had a Katie creation tonight: hot dogs cut in half and grilled till crispy, put on toasted rye bread with Dijon, melted muenster and American cheeses, and dill pickle slices. We were surprised at how much it tasted like a pastrami sandwich.

Ummm! Making me drool here!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was just going to reheat a spaghetti pie from the freezer, then decided he'd want more protein so I made some chicken parm to go along side.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 IMG_20170209_171258615

NormM

NormM

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 Dscn4010
Our dinner was pork chops with Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, pineapple and mushrooms. Super Bowl food was a chili bar with hot dogs and nachos.  Late last week I fell while on top of a desk adjusting a curtain.  I am pretty sore and possibly have some nerve damage and a fractured tail bone so I have not been up to much cooking or anything else.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 2 Dscn4010
Our dinner was pork chops with Jerk seasoning, brown sugar, pineapple and mushrooms. Super Bowl food was a chili bar with hot dogs and nachos.  Late last week I fell while on top of a desk adjusting a curtain.  I am pretty sore and possibly have some nerve damage and a fractured tail bone so I have not been up to much cooking or anything else.

Oh Lord No! .... What are you part of a circus act like the Flying Walenda's??

Take care. Pick up a tail bone pillow. It is a round pillow with a hole in the middle.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31CZIsKPSQL._SY355_.jpg
Curtain adjuster I use!

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added pics)

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had Chinese pork fried rice, and other stuff from Hong Kong Palace . Would you believe, they forgot GDs white rice with her chicken and broccoli dinner.

NormM

NormM

I got on the table to add an extra curtain to block out the sun that was shining in my face while I was at the computer.  When I stepped down on the chair, it tipped and I fell on my back.  I mild had a concussion because they were talking about President Trump on the TV and I didn't understand how he could be president. I couldn't even remember having an election.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum