Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

+3
cookingirl
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda HL wrote:February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 4

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 5

Oh, Imelda, your dinner looks absolutely scrumptious! As you may remember, Brian doesn't eat seafood so I rarely make it unless we're having a guest for dinner. So just think: I could eat all that myself!!!

I've been craving lobster lately. I see the frozen tails at the grocery but yes, they are very small. I'm thinking of going to a grocery with one of those lobster tanks, pick out the biggest one they have (usually about 1.5 lbs.) and have them steam it for me while I shop. At least I'd have claw meat and could save the shells in the freezer in my bag of saved shrimp heads and shells.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:I made fish chowder for dinner tonight.  Charlie might want to pick up tacos or something instead when he gets home but this is what I was wanting tonight.February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 Dscn4010

Ooh, Norm, that looks so good! I adore fish chowder. When we used to fly into the Providence airport instead of Logan when we were heading for the Cape, there was a Legal Seafood restaurant not far from the airport. I'd make it a point to stop in prior to leaving for home. Although fish chowder wasn't on the menu, they usually had it so I'd get that if they weren't out. A waiter told me they didn't put it on the menu because they didn't make that much of it everyday and not everyone knew it was available. Boy, it was good, too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda wrote:Not my favorite meat, but Dirk likes it, so we bought it, and it was on sale, only $5.99/lbs.. and this pack cost less than $5, Lamb shoulder chops

Sounds like Dirk, Norm and I are the only ones who like lamb. I really, really like it. When my father was alive and I still lived at home, he'd buy a leg of lamb and I'd cook it for us. He liked the fact that no one liked it except he and I so he'd get to eat tons of it.

Shoulder chops aren't my favorite cut but for $5.99/lb., I'd have grabbed that pack, too!

Brian says he isn't crazy about it but when our Greek friend Dimitri would cook a whole one on a homemade rotisserie over a fire, he sure would eat the heck out of it. Dimitri would use a big bunch of thyme tied together at the stem end as his "brush" to brush on the marinade while it cooked, which I thought was so cool. The Greek Church in N.O. has a festival every year for Memorial Day weekend and they have several whole lambs cooking on spits at once. They go through several of them each day of the fest, too. It's really delicious and cooked to perfection!

NormM

NormM

My friend in Junction City who had a castle in his back yard was from South Dakota where a popular bar food was Chislic, skewered and grilled or fried lamb.  There is at least one butcher shop up there that sells it already cut and skewered and frozen by the case and he would get several boxes when we was up there and then invite people over for it at least a couple times a year.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

NormM

NormM

Crybaby, I enjoy fish stew, chowders and chioppino.  It was really good when Charlie lived on the left coast and I could get some right on the pier.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Jimmy, those chocolate covered strawberries looked delicious!  Glad they tasted good, too.

Oh and BTW, a dryer sheet will indeed take the static electricity out of Liam's hair.  Try it when no one is around, as I don't think it's harmful.  Women in my office with very thin flyaway hair used to do this when it was cold and dry outside and they were wearing sweaters, which only increased the static in their hair when they pulled them over their heads.  It works quite well!  

I used to rub a dryer sheet on my legs when my skirt or dress was sticking to my stockings when I ran out of the static spray that I kept in my desk.  

The strawberries were great. There was one left, but too watery to eat, so there was one lucky bird that got to eat it.

The dryer sheets we have are so perfume smelling, I couldn't do it without getting caught. hhahahahahaha
They do work though.
Son Jimmy ( Gramps ) put some little gel and combed his hair. He looks like Spanky on "Our Gang"

I have a pic they took. I'll post it later.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Left over shrimp peel & eat for me.
Tina had an instant microwave oatmeal.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Look!.... PaPa panked my hair down with Dippity Doo!
I found how to put these fingers in my mouth to chew on.  

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 8hiKPE

NormM

NormM

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 Dscn4012

I got some Chorizo the other day and decided to have sandwiches made with them for dinner today. I had them with roasted peppers and a lemony cilantro sauce. It is an Emeril recipe.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Surely would enjoy pushing face into those sandwiches!
Ummmm!

NormM

NormM

We enjoyed them.

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Crybaby, I enjoy fish stew, chowders and chioppino.  It was really good when Charlie lived on the left coast and I could get some right on the pier.

Mmmm, I love all of them, too, Norm. We're pretty lucky around here to have very reasonably priced seafood as well. Brian is even adverse to the smell while cooking it, especially soups and stews. I learned the hard way that if I'm cooking seafood, I make sure he's out of the house while it cooks.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Liam's picture was really cute, Jimmy, but I think he looks even cuter with his hair all stuck out!!!

Next time Tina goes to the store, ask her to pick up some static spray. You can spray some on his hairbrush and it will help considerably.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, I forgot to ask you! Have you recovered from your fall yet?

Oh and btw, that chorizo looked delicious. I've been craving chorizo lately but the grocery we go to only has pre-sliced in a package. It's good but I've been wanted the sausages so I can remove the casing to use in a few recipes I've been eyeing.

We're going to have to try another grocery, I'm afraid...

NormM

NormM

It will be months before I recover from the fall. I fractured my tail bone and it has to heal on it's own.  My neck is still a little stiff too. The Chorizo I got was at a grocery store but it was from D'Artagnon. It wasn't really very expensive considering.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:Liam's picture was really cute, Jimmy, but I think he looks even cuter with his hair all stuck out!!!  

Next time Tina goes to the store, ask her to pick up some static spray.  You can spray some on his hairbrush and it will help considerably.  

"Static Boy" Looks like he stuck his finger in a light socket!
..............."Bzzzzzzzzzzt!"

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 7 4Z5FvT

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was a ham and Swss ( again ) on some stale rubbery Italian Bread!
Would you believe, I couldn't bite through the bread to eat the sandwich?
It was so tough, the meat slid out. I had to get soft sweet rolls to eat it on.
What a mess! Mayo all over, and the knife handle got all sticky with mayo. I hate sloppy ....

Italian Biscotti for dessert!

cookingirl

cookingirl

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Liam's picture was really cute, Jimmy, but I think he looks even cuter with his hair all stuck out!!!  

Next time Tina goes to the store, ask her to pick up some static spray.  You can spray some on his hairbrush and it will help considerably.  

"Static Boy"  Looks like he stuck his finger in a light socket!

Oh now!!! where the heck did he get all that hair?!

Liam looked so dapper when his hair was gelled back ... He will be needing a hair cut soon!!
Before the age of 3 months!!

The other day, I made a small roasted pork loin-- just plain, with some potatoes and carrots roasted along with it..
I have not had that for years. Too bad the pork was a bit overdone.. sigh

lost my touch cooking..

But I had more potatoes and carrots, so I roasted them yesterday.. and had with the pork..

Today is either a salad with pork, or pork and broccoli and salad..

the last day of the pork loin is tomorrow.. I do not keep longer than that. I made it Monday.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

"Static Boy"  Looks like he stuck his finger in a light socket!

Oh now!!! where the heck did he get all that hair?!

Liam looked so dapper when his hair was gelled back ... He will be needing a hair cut soon!!
Before the age of 3 months!!

The other day, I made a small roasted pork loin-- just plain, with some potatoes and carrots roasted along with it..
I have not had that for years. Too bad the pork was a bit overdone.. sigh

lost my touch cooking..

But I had more potatoes and carrots, so I roasted them yesterday.. and had with the pork..

Today is either a salad with pork, or pork and broccoli and salad..

the last day of the pork loin is tomorrow.. I do not keep longer than that. I made it Monday.

It's the same here. If we make a pork loin, it is the general thing that we over cook it. Usually, if I can slice it thin after it's been in the fridge for a day or so, we will have sandwiches with dressing like mayo for me.
If the occasion permits, and I am making like chili, I will dice the leftover pork, and add it to the ground beef in the chili.

I remember mom saying as she cooked pork, "It's gonna be a little tough, but we all know how pork has to be cooked good!"
And there was dad saying,"Yeah, we don't want to get worms from the pork!".......and here were two snarky young boy's, laughing, and saying,"Where?" ....and dad saying,"In your Coolies!".. affraid

I think of that any time I eat pork!

Bugster2

Bugster2

My mother used to cook her pork till it was fork tender. Trouble is, it was very dry. It was to make sure no one got a tape worm or whatever worm you got from pork - trichinosis? maybe? Funny thing is you can still get worms from undercooked pork. My friends 10 year old daughter had a seizure and tests showed a tapeworm cyst in her brain. The Docs said it was from pork. No telling how she got it since she lives in AZ.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My mother used to cook her pork till it was fork tender. Trouble is, it was very dry. It was to make sure no one got a tape worm or whatever worm you got from pork - trichinosis? maybe? Funny thing is you can still get worms from undercooked pork. My friends 10 year old daughter had a seizure and tests showed a tapeworm cyst in her brain. The Docs said it was from pork. No telling how she got it since she lives in AZ.

oh Lord No! What a nightmare!
Question?...Can't relate ( how she got it she lives in AZ!)" What does AZ have a bearing of pork ? "

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supposed to be taco's????? We shall see. Tina has the taco kit on the counter.
WEEE SHALLL SEEEEE!

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:My mother used to cook her pork till it was fork tender. Trouble is, it was very dry. It was to make sure no one got a tape worm or whatever worm you got from pork - trichinosis? maybe? Funny thing is you can still get worms from undercooked pork. My friends 10 year old daughter had a seizure and tests showed a tapeworm cyst in her brain. The Docs said it was from pork. No telling how she got it since she lives in AZ.

Question?...Can't relate ( how she got it she lives in AZ!)" What does AZ have a bearing of pork ? "

What I meant is that she didn't eat a street taco in Mexico, which can be risky fare.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

What I meant is that she didn't eat a street taco in Mexico, which can be risky fare.

Oh! Ok! Got it now!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Just finished the taco's. I ate a bowl of salad too!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum