Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

+3
cookingirl
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Bugster2

Bugster2

The question is: where is Barb? I have not seen her post in a long time.

Bugster2

Bugster2

She decided to leave? That is too bad. Thanks for the answer.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

And Where Is "RANDY"..??
I forgot how to hard boil eggs so the yolks don't turn GREEN!! .. hahahahahahahahaha

A N D .... haven't heard from Jetfan27

bethk

bethk
Admin

People come ~ people go.....

I miss so many.

If you check the 'memberlist' you can see the last time some have logged on.

Been a long time since we've heard from Jetfan, Sweetest Pea, Niagara, Domestic Goddess ~ as well as Barb. It would be wonderful if things didn't come up to mess up our little forum.

But, as I always say, if you have a few minutes, stop by and say, "Hi!' just so we know you're doing OK.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We had an early supper......I had a piece of meatloaf with a schmear of mashed potatoes for 'brunch' (about 10:30 a.m.) and nothing since ~ so I was hungry for supper.

I had all my veg cleaned & cut up early this afternoon so it was just a matter of cooking a stir-fry, and that takes very little time. I started the Trader Joe's California white/brown/black/red rice about 3:30 because the directions said it takes about 25 minutes stove top. I always cook my rice in the microwave (less clean up, no chance of burning it) and I think it takes a bit longer on a 30% power than the 25 minutes called for. The rice, by the way, had excellent flavor so if you're at a Trader Joe's, by all means, I recommend you pick up a package!

The stir fry was chicken breast with the nicest tasting bok choy I've had in a long time. I didn't have to toss any parts for 'spoiled' or 'wilted'....it was really sweet and crunchy when it was raw. I also had some carrots, celery & leeks. The sauce was some oyster sauce, hoisin, soy sauce, sambal oleck and chicken stock.....a bit of cornstarch slurry to bring it all together at the end.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 IMG_20170217_165319830

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No pictures today, but I boiled 2 lbs. of peel & eat shrimp.
Had that with hot cocktail sauce, and buttered roll as a pusher. 2 Beers to wash it down.
The beers made me tired, and I fell asleep in the recliner.
1 - 1/2 hour later, I jumped up; not knowing what or where I was. Snack time now, Tina had a liverwurst on a slice of white Wonder Bread. I had 3 inches of a roast beef hoagie.

Tina went for PT today for her knee. Poor thing. 1/2 hour ago, she developed a massive leg cramp. I couldn't find the Amish magic potion that works, so I gave her a cap full of apple cider vinegar in orange juice. It worked. That is the main ingredient in that potion, and it worked just as fast. The other main ingredient is garlic juice, but I didn't add any of that.

So....now I'm wide awake, and full belly. I will have a coffee and some cookies to enjoy and finish off my today's piggishness.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled the last quart of Jambalaya out of the freezer (I'm trying to clean out all the old meals to make room for making more.....). I browned some additional beef brat (Johnsonville beef brats) to render off the majority of the fat ~ the brats have an awful lot of fat and I just like to get rid of all the excess and get that nice taste from browning it. Then I clean up the pan with the liquid part of jambalaya to add that extra flavor. Good stuff, Maynard! A short boil thickens it back up to the original and it gets served over rice.

I took a pic but for whatever reason it didn't 'take' so I pulled an old pic out of my files. Just pretend you don't see any shrimp (I prefer it with just chicken and beef brats). No complaints from the Peanut Gallery ~ he ate every bite! (and, to be honest, part of MINE!)

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 041213

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I pulled the last quart of Jambalaya out of the freezer (I'm trying to clean out all the old meals to make room for making more.....).  I browned some additional beef brat (Johnsonville beef brats) to render off the majority of the fat ~ the brats have an awful lot of fat and I just like to get rid of all the excess and get that nice taste from browning it.  Then I clean up the pan with the liquid part of jambalaya to add that extra flavor.  Good stuff, Maynard!  A short boil thickens it back up to the original and it gets served over rice.

I took a pic but for whatever reason it didn't 'take' so I pulled an old pic out of my files.  Just pretend you don't see any shrimp (I prefer it with just chicken and beef brats).  No complaints from the Peanut Gallery ~ he ate every bite!  (and, to be honest, part of MINE!)

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 041213

So delicious looking! I'm having leftover pork fried rice, and a shrimp egg roll.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Not my favorite meat, but Dirk likes it, so we bought it, and it was on sale, only $5.99/lbs.. and this pack cost less than $5, Lamb shoulder chops, I seasoned it with salt and pepper, then I pan-fried it with olive oil, 3 minutes per side, he likes his meat medium rare, and for the sauce, I sauteed some chopped onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, I scrapped clean the pan, then I added some fresh lemon juice, salt and black pepper, a bit sugar and some fresh herbs.. oh the juice was so good, I poured some on my mashed potato

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 6_1

with some microwave steamed asparagus

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 7_1

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't care for lamb and you make ME hungry for it!

Your food is always so delicious looking.....great job! I'm sure Dirk loved it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks good Imelda.... But each their own as far as lamb goes.
My kids like it. My daughter raises Lambs on the farm, but rarely eats the lamb.
Once in a while she will make it.

I prefer pork steaks.

NormM

NormM

There was a friend where I used to live that had skewered and grilled lamb a couple times a year. It was really good.

I wanted clams or oysters for an appetizer but no one had any so I got shrimp. It was marinated with honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.  Charlie thought it would make a good chicken teriyaki sauce if it was thickened. it was good on the steak too. 
February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 Dscn4011

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:There was a friend where I used to live that had skewered and grilled lamb a couple times a year. It was really good.

I wanted clams or oysters for an appetizer but no one had any so I got shrimp. It was marinated with honey, soy sauce, garlic and ginger.  Charlie thought it would make a good chicken teriyaki sauce if it was thickened. it was good on the steak too. 
February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 Dscn4011

Steak looks awesome Norm.
My wife buys these baby clams frozen, and already cooked. All you do, is steam them; and they open up. They taste like they were just dug up.
The muscle itself is bigger than some larger clams.

NormM

NormM

I didn't see any frozen clams.  Everyone was out of them today.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I didn't see any frozen clams.  Everyone was out of them today.

Always the case here too Norm.
It's like the Adam & Eve Cranberry Raspberry juice. We checked all the local stores, and None / Zilch / Nada!
Tina finally drove 40 miles to get some. That juice is so good, I never drink juice, until I tried that brand and flavor. I drank a whole bottle myself; with crushed ice.

NormM

NormM

I remember years ago that someone made the best grapefruit juice. I loved it, then they changed the way it tasted and wasn't good anymore. It tasted like all the other ones.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I remember years ago that someone made the best grapefruit juice. I loved it, then they changed the way it tasted and wasn't good anymore. It tasted like all the other ones.

Years ago, we used to buy Donald Duck brand, Orange / Banana Juice.
No longer made.
They still make the Orange or Grapefruit juices. Not all stores carry that brand.

Last week, we had Mango - Banana juice nectar. It was good, but so thick.
It was thick as if it was like pouring honey !

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, Jimmy.....nectar is REALLY thick stuff. But they use it for the smoothies in the blender. Usually lots of sugar in it, too.

We're having 'find-what-you-want-from-the-leftovers' for supper. I think he's having a meatloaf sandwich and I might have some leftover stirfry.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper is just getting cleaned up after we all filled our bellies! hahahhaha

Tina made a great beef stew. We had potato dumplings too!
Cup cakes from the bakery ... Good.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have not a clue what we are having on this "President's Day"...
Actually Known as Washington's Birthday; and with the ax and chopping down the Cherry Tree, and all that! ... Boo Hoo, and NO Cherry Pie either! .... I want Cherry Pie!
Walmart usually has those little single serve lunch pies stacked up in the baked goods isle.
I will ask T to pick up a few.

bethk

bethk
Admin

You'd be better off asking her to pick up some of the Pillsbury pie crust and a couple cans of Comstock Cherry Pie Filling. Drain off one can and then stir the drained cherries into the other can of filling. Put the crust into a pie pan, add the filling and fold the edges over the filling.....a bit of milk & a sprinkle of sugar on the crust ~ bake at 350° until bubbly (about 35 - 40 minutes).

Those little 'individual pies' only have 3 cherries each......

bethk

bethk
Admin

I picked up some fresh Florida sweet corn at the market yesterday.....it was really fresh looking and the husks had not dried out. I microwaved 4 ears, in the husk, for 5 minutes, let them sit for 5 minutes.....rearranged and microwaved for another 5 minutes on high. They came out perfectly cooked and by cooking them in the husks, the silks simply peel off with the husks ~ easy peasey.

I also reheated some Italian Beef for sandwiches with melted mozzarella on ciabatta bread.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 6 IMG_20170220_170233627

Lyn and I are going on a road trip tomorrow for a few days ~ so if I disappear for a bit, don't call the Canadian Mounties to look for me! Her sister is in Sarasota for a few days so we'll drive down and have a few days of 'retail therapy' with the girls.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Have a nice road trip Tomorrow Beth.

Supper was ham & Swiss on small rolls, and cheesecake.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, Dane's birthday dinner looked especially good. He's a lucky man. And what will power to have only one small brownie for dessert, too.

He looks thinner than he did in the picture you last posted of you two on your wedding anniversary, too. Does he still want to lose weight or is he just trying to maintain his current weight?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, those chocolate covered strawberries looked delicious! Glad they tasted good, too.

Oh and BTW, a dryer sheet will indeed take the static electricity out of Liam's hair. Try it when no one is around, as I don't think it's harmful. Women in my office with very thin flyaway hair used to do this when it was cold and dry outside and they were wearing sweaters, which only increased the static in their hair when they pulled them over their heads. It works quite well!

I used to rub a dryer sheet on my legs when my skirt or dress was sticking to my stockings when I ran out of the static spray that I kept in my desk.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum