Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?"

+3
cookingirl
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 9]

NormM

NormM

I was going to start some brisket in some brine for corned beef today but got antsy and went out antique shopping instead. Mostly 'window' shopping though.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn and I returned from our little 'road trip' last night ~ we had a fabulous time!

On Tuesday we drove about 2 1/2 hours south to Sarasota to meet up with Lyn's sister, Sandi, who was visiting her friend, Laurette (who is a professional clown). We all met up at a HUGE Cuban restaurant, The Columbian, for lunch.

The menu was gigantic! They have a house salad, the 1902 Salad, which is one of their signature items....iceburg lettuce with thick grated Swiss cheese, ham, olives, etc. and is mixed tableside. The Swiss cheese was a deal-breaker for me but the other 3 had that ~ full dinner plate size servings. Laurette had a cup of black bean soup that (upon sharing a taste) was one of those wonderful long-cooked, flavorful soups. Lyn had Gazpacho and it was served with your choice of condiments added by the server ~ quite a nice presentation. Of course, I got to taste that, also, and it was one of the most flavorful cold tomato soups I've ever tried.

I had tapas....the list went on and on. I finally decided on the octopus (of course, it had a Spanish name to the dish that I cannot remember). Slices of octopus were sauteed in olive oil and there were tiny yellow and purple potatoes & onions included. It was excellent! (in case you're wondering, it tastes like chicken! LOL). For my second choice I had the Picadillo Empanadas ~ a Cuban loose sloppy joe mixture wrapped in a piecrust like dough and deep fried. Yummy!

After lunch, since we were in a large open-air shopping area, we walked over to a little French Pastrie shop because Laurette wanted us to all try an assortment of their macaron 'cookies'. We chose an assortment of 6 and then sat down with a cup of strong (decaf) coffee to savor the flavors of those little gems! Each cookie got cut into quarters so we could taste every different one...Loved the flavors and textures of the tiny bites!

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170221_143742295

And that was the last time I remembered to take a pic of our food!

We were only gone three days but I'm tired enough to think it was longer.......have to go to the grocery store and decide what to fix for meals again.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Lyn and I returned from our little 'road trip' last night ~ we had a fabulous time!

On Tuesday we drove about 2 1/2 hours south to Sarasota to meet up with Lyn's sister, Sandi, who was visiting her friend, Laurette (who is a professional clown).  We all met up at a HUGE Cuban restaurant, The Columbian, for lunch.

The menu was gigantic!  They have a house salad, the 1902 Salad, which is one of their signature items....iceburg lettuce with thick grated Swiss cheese, ham, olives, etc. and is mixed tableside.  The Swiss cheese was a deal-breaker for me but the other 3 had that ~ full dinner plate size servings.  Laurette had a cup of black bean soup that (upon sharing a taste) was one of those wonderful long-cooked, flavorful soups.  Lyn had Gazpacho and it was served with your choice of condiments added by the server ~ quite a nice presentation.  Of course, I got to taste that, also, and it was one of the most flavorful cold tomato soups I've ever tried.

I had tapas....the list went on and on.  I finally decided on the octopus (of course, it had a Spanish name to the dish that I cannot remember).  Slices of octopus were sauteed in olive oil and there were tiny yellow and purple potatoes & onions included.  It was excellent!  (in case you're wondering, it tastes like chicken!  LOL).  For my second choice I had the Picadillo Empanadas ~ a Cuban loose sloppy joe mixture wrapped in a piecrust like dough and deep fried.  Yummy!

After lunch, since we were in a large open-air shopping area, we walked over to a little French Pastrie shop because Laurette wanted us to all try an assortment of their macaron 'cookies'.  We chose an assortment of 6 and then sat down with a cup of strong (decaf) coffee to savor the flavors of those little gems! Each cookie got cut into quarters so we could taste every different one...Loved the flavors and textures of the tiny bites!

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170221_143742295

And that was the last time I remembered to take a pic of our food!

We were only gone three days but I'm tired enough to think it was longer.......have to go to the grocery store and decide what to fix for meals again.

Sounds like you girls had a great time.
The cookies are looking good. Amazing they have a different flavor.
The ones we get here, are the same flavor, but just a different color. Horrible! And they all taste of Amaretto.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had a late lunch at 3 of a meatloaf sandwich with mustard.
Jim Jr. and DIL .,came over for a quick supper of spaghetti and meat sauce. They took the baby with them for a sleepover tonight.

Bugster2

Bugster2

OMG! Joe and Katie went to the beach and afterwards stopped at the local Mother's Market which is a health food store. I peeked into her grocery bag to see what she had come home with. Slippery elm tablets, raw almonds and apricot pits. APRICOT PITS???? What the hell??? I look at her and say "apricot pits ???" She says "Yes, they are really good for you." I look at her like she has two heads. I say "Yeah, they are really good for poisoning yourself." She now looks at me like I have two heads. She says "My brother eats them all the time." I say "Well, tell him he is poisoning himself". The trouble is that the health food industry, vitamins, supplements are totally unregulated and this is a good example. Apricot pits were a last chance remedy for people with cancer. Totally bogus, but desperate people do desperate things. Apricot pits, when eaten, turn into cyanide in the stomach. A deadly poison. Perhaps one pit won't do much harm but still a poison none the less. Any medical expert will tell you the same thing. I told her to toss them. She says she will return them. Right. When hell freezes over. I told her to tell her brother to stop eating them. I hope she did.

We may go out for Italian tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:OMG! Joe and Katie went to the beach and afterwards stopped at the local Mother's Market which is a health food store. I peeked into her grocery bag to see what she had come home with. Slippery elm tablets, raw almonds and apricot pits. APRICOT PITS???? What the hell??? I look at her and say "apricot pits ???" She says "Yes, they are really good for you." I look at her like she has two heads. I say "Yeah, they are really good for poisoning yourself." She now looks at me like I have two heads. She says "My brother eats them all the time." I say "Well, tell him he is poisoning himself". The trouble is that the health food industry, vitamins, supplements are totally unregulated and this is a good example. Apricot pits were a last chance remedy for people with cancer. Totally bogus, but desperate people do desperate things. Apricot pits, when eaten, turn into cyanide in the stomach. A deadly poison. Perhaps one pit won't do much harm but still a poison none the less. Any medical expert will tell you the same thing. I told her to toss them. She says she will return them. Right. When hell freezes over. I told her to tell her brother to stop eating them. I hope she did.

We may go out for Italian tonight.

And apple seeds, if too many are eaten, I heard, are arsenic.

bethk

bethk
Admin

"health foods" in the hands of the uninformed can be a death trap......

Geesh!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I've been trying to decide what to make for supper.....

Mr. Amazing has me making the decision between, "I don't know" and "I don't care".....................

So now I'm in a real quandry ~ both sound good to me! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:"health foods" in the hands of the uninformed can be a death trap......

Geesh!

Health food supplements almost killed my sister's next door neighbor. He started taking all these vitamins and supplements that someone told him to take. One day my BIL (a doctor) noticed he was a bit yellow and told him to go see his doctor STAT! Turns out those "healthy" supplements had put him into liver failure and he might have to have a transplant. Fortunately, his liver recovered from the assault but it took a long time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

So I finally decided on a menu....

Chicken cutlets with a Southern Coca Cola Honey BBQ sauce, Baked Sweet Potato & Broccoli.

and I've got tomorrow's menu planned, too!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think the hardest thing to do is to decide on a menu.....the second hardest thing is to cook for two and not have leftovers ~ I'm the one to end up eating most leftovers and I don't like them!

But tonight I had the right amount.....one chicken breast sliced in half & lightly pounded so it was all about the same thickness, a large sweet potato split between the two of us and 2/3 of the package of broccoli.

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170225_171556593

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Beth.... the meal looks great. So great you cook such great food substance for you and Dane. No supplements needed in your kitchen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Supper was some of the worst pierogi that Tina picked up at the butcher shoppe.
They were made with pasting together, 3 wonton wrappers, and filling with potaties and onion flakes mixed in ! yuck!

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:It will be months before I recover from the fall. I fractured my tail bone and it has to heal on it's own.  My neck is still a little stiff too. The Chorizo I got was at a grocery store but it was from D'Artagnon. It wasn't really very expensive considering.

I should have asked how you were feeling and not have you recovered, as that's what I was inquiring about.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Crybaby wrote:Liam's picture was really cute, Jimmy, but I think he looks even cuter with his hair all stuck out!!!  

Next time Tina goes to the store, ask her to pick up some static spray.  You can spray some on his hairbrush and it will help considerably.  

"Static Boy"  Looks like he stuck his finger in a light socket!
..............."Bzzzzzzzzzzt!"

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 4Z5FvT

I did a double-take when I saw that pic, as I thought it was HIS hair hanging down on the left! Then I realized your GD was holding him. I love that wild hair -- he looks so doggone cute!

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I've been trying to decide what to make for supper.....

Mr. Amazing has me making the decision between, "I don't know" and "I don't care".....................

So now I'm in a real quandry ~ both sound good to me!   LOL

Reminds me of an old joke.  One man says to another, "Are you stupid, or just apathetic?!"  The other man replies, "I don't know and I don't care."

Brian came home a while back with a couple of koozies -- those foam beer can holders.  One of them had printed on it, "I'm sorry I hurt your feelings when I called you stupid.  I thought you already knew."  I laughed and laughed like a little kid at that!

Beth, I would've killed to eat at that Cuban restaurant you spoke of.  I love Cuban food.  Used to get Ropa Vieja ("old clothes") at a super Cuban restaurant downtown near my old office.  Delicious!  I just like that style of cooking.  Would love to try octopus though I would've probably ordered something else I was drooling over.

We have those macaron down here but though they look the same and taste great, I don't discern different flavors from the different colors. Those must've been really good.  Coffee looked delicious, too, especially for decaf, which I just can't get into.  Tried it again a couple of years ago after I was diagnosed with PH but we ended up throwing the whole pound away.  

Glad you had a good time.  And yes, I'd imagine being away with four females would definitely tire one out!  Did Dane cook for himself or had you left goodies for him already made?

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:40 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : typos! kept seeing more!)

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:I think the hardest thing to do is to decide on a menu.....the second hardest thing is to cook for two and not have leftovers ~ I'm the one to end up eating most leftovers and I don't like them!

I've noticed that about you guys, Beth.  We're the exact opposite -- we love leftovers!  Granted, I don't make as much of a dish as I used to but we don't eat as much as we used to.  But we always make enough to at least have another meal from it, sometimes a couple more meals.

Last night I made chicken enchiladas (10 of them!) and some Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice, and we were talking in bed last night about how much we were looking forward to more enchiladas today!  I made it until about 2:30 p.m. today when I announced I was going to eat a big lunch and no dinner.  Brian lasted another hour and a half before he was serving himself some enchiladas.  And I swear those chicken and cheese enchiladas were even better today.

I also made a lemon layer cake (a Duncan Hines mix but I added some fresh lemon zest and a tad lemon extract to it), and I made a homemade lemon frosting, which came out delicious.  I can't remember the last time we had a cake with frosting (instead of with a glaze or a pound cake with confectioners sugar on it) -- also can't remember the last time I made homemade frosting.  The cake even tasted better today!  If it wasn't Carnival (there are day parades AND night parades this weekend not only downtown but on our side of the river which route hits about 3/4 of a mile from our house -- if you're not careful and end up in parade traffic, you can be stopped for an hour or two or even more, depending on the length of the parade), I'd have sent him to a friend's house with a big chunk of that cake, as I want to get rid of it before we end up eating it all!  

Needless to say, I'm LOVING my KitchenAid stand mixer -- wish I would've gotten it years ago. Brian loves it, too, as he always comes over to watch me use it and shakes his head at how much easier it makes things, especially cakes, frostings, whipped cream and meringue.  Next thing I want to make is a homemade chocolate cake, as he'll be over the moon with that.  I've got a cookbook I bought years ago called "The Cake Bible,' which I've been perusing.  And I've got some expresso powder to add to my chocolate cake, which really amps up the chocolate flavor!  Yeah, am definitely loving that mixer.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm doing a beef stir fry for supper tonight....on brown rice. It was going to be Beef Broccoli but HE wanted the broccoli as a veg last night so it's going to be Beef Stir Fry with Green Beans, Onions & Carrots. I've got some fermented salted black beans to add as a seasoning and I picked up a jar of Kalbi Sauce at the Asian Market we found in Ocala a couple weeks ago.

I opened it and gave it a taste....really nice seasonings to use as a sauce base for my stir fry:

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170226_153636211_HDR

NormM

NormM

Kalbi is one of Charlie's favorite things to cook.  I think his sauce has pear nectar in it.  I didn't take a picture of our early dinner but here is a picture of the left overs.  I got a package of chuck chunks out of the freezer and pressure cooked them with some soy sauce, honey, ginger, anise and ginger. February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 Dscn4013

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm. I make Charlie's kalbi recipe quite often....if I don't have pear I'll grate an apple. It's so versatile and tastes good on so many things.

The brown rice needed more liquid and cooking time than I had originally anticipated.....glad I started it earlier so I didn't have to wait on it. The flavor of the stir fry was really good. I liked the saltiness of the fermented salted black beans in the sauce (I chopped them and let them season the oil I cooked the marinated beef in).

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170226_163232849_HDR

NormM

NormM

That stir fry looks good Beth. I have seen some Kalbi recipes that use Coca Cola instead of pears.

Bugster2

Bugster2

The Oscars are a big night for Katie. She watches and then gets together with her friends to critique the fashions. I love looking at those gowns too. I don't think I am going to watch the Oscars themselves - too much politics are planned, including the commercials. This is neither the time or place to vent.

Katie and Joe went out for seafood last night and Katie ate too much and was miserable for a while. Tonight will be light: hot dog grilled cheese on rye. I made a half batch of butterscotch crème brulee. I need a different torch. The one I have is too hard to push on.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Everyones meals today sound / look good.
Tomorrow Tina will throw a chuck roast in the cast iron cooker.
Tonight, I picked on the leftover eggs from the breakfast birthday party.
Right now, I have a pizza baking in the oven. I used a frozen bread dough to make it.

We shall see!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I found fresh (farmed) Cherrystone clams on sale today and remembered Mr. Amazing wanted me to make a pasta dish he saw in my Cooking Light magazine. IF he sees there is a full (one dish) meal that comes in under 400 calories, he gets all excited.

I made a few adjustments....switched the garlic for shallots....added some kale for more nutritional value (and color ~ AND because I like it!). But, basicly, I'm making the dish as noted, but cutting back on the ingredients to make it for two of us. Oh, and instead of spaghetti, I'm using fettucini because I like the more substantial 'mouth feel' of the heavier pasta. As long as I measure out 2 oz. of dried pasta per person it shouldn't make any difference on the type ~ that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

I posted the recipe in the Casseroles & Main Dish section of the forum (copied right off the Cooking Light website).

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOO HOO! I got '2 Thumbs Up!' from Mr. Amazing for tonight's supper. And even though he's not a huge fan of kale, he did like the addition of the lacinato (black) kale to the pasta meal.

I like it because it really 'bulks up' the nutrition and it also helps fill me up, probably due to the high fiber. The only negative comment he had was he thought it could use more spice. Since this was the first time I made the recipe I followed the directions and strained out the red pepper flakes so they only allowed for a tiny bit of flavor.

He didn't even complain about the toasted bakery roll (not part of the recipe but what I wanted!). I told him if he wanted to keep his meal at under 350 calories he could skip the roll but I guess the meal was still within his total allowable calorie count even WITH that delicious hot & toasty bakery roll. LOL

February 2017, "What's Cooking for Dinner?" - Page 8 IMG_20170227_170428037_HDR

cookingirl

cookingirl

Beth, that looks gorgeous!! a wonderful meal. I have to admit that I would be on the un-spicy side...

I just wanted to let you guys know that I am always here... lurking...

I do not cook very much.. a lot of simple stuff.. If I was not alone, I would cook more... but whatever.

Today, I had a very easy but really good meal for me..

It was just some broiled chicken thighs.... not just broiled, but basted with butter!! YUM.. almost as good as charcoaled grilled.. so good..
and some mashed potatoes and corn.... just simple, easy, comfort foods... but so good....

Artie (Cat)  is still hanging in there....has had a lot of issues, but is still around..

OMG.... I sound so pathetic... sorry... today was a good day...

I think I am going to try to go back to the diet I had last year.. so I will be subsisting on salads...sigh...

Just wanted to touch base and let you guys know that I am still here and lurking.. Love & ((hugs)) to all..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum