Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 16]

201September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina stopped at KFC....brought pop corn crispy chicken...krispy hot wings, and cole slaw and french fries. Those pop corn pieces are 2/3 batter and really crunchy.

202September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boneless skin-on chicken thighs done with the ATK cold pan / pressed crispy skin method ~ I'm really lovin' this stuff! I reheated the second half of last night's squash (spaghetti squash for me, acorn squash for Mr. Amazing) and some green beans.

Michelle, I did a take on the tarragon cream sauce, but tried to lighten it up by using 1% milk. I used a scant 1/2 t. butter to saute the shallots and then added a 1/2 t. of flour to help keep the sauce from breaking. It seemed to be the trick as it did not separate at all. I added tarragon, chives, thyme and parsley and allowed it to simmer and thicken, then strained out the herbs when the sauce was flavorful and just reheated before serving. I love playing around with recipes like that to see if I can change them for a healthier version (although, truth be told, NO sauce would have been the healthier version). But it was really tasty on the chicken and the green beans ~ I have no self-control, obviously!

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 IMG_20160915_171246261

203September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:14 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Boneless skin-on chicken thighs done with the ATK cold pan / pressed crispy skin method ~ I'm really lovin' this stuff!  I reheated the second half of last night's squash (spaghetti squash for me, acorn squash for Mr. Amazing) and some green beans.

Michelle, I did a take on the tarragon cream sauce, but tried to lighten it up by using 1% milk.  I used a scant 1/2 t. butter to saute the shallots and then added a 1/2 t. of flour to help keep the sauce from breaking.  It seemed to be the trick as it did not separate at all.  I added tarragon, chives, thyme and parsley and allowed it to simmer and thicken, then strained out the herbs when the sauce was flavorful and just reheated before serving.  I love playing around with recipes like that to see if I can change them for a healthier version (although, truth be told, NO sauce would have been the healthier version).  But it was really tasty on the chicken and the green beans ~ I have no self-control, obviously!

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 IMG_20160915_171246261

All looks good Beth... Would you believe, I love all squash, with the exception of Spaghetti Squash. Mom never made it , because Dad never liked it either.

204September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:22 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina's uncle stopped over after he visited his brother Gabe in the nursing home, and he wanted sausage and peppers.
So that was the supper we had today... and I am sick of sausage and peppers.

Dessert was blueberry turnovers. Bakery from Weis markets.

205September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well you may be tired of sausage & peppers, Jimmy, but it's got to be better than the same old ~ same old that had to be available for Gabe. I hope he's got what he likes at the nursing home.

Maybe you should throw together a lasagne the way you like it. That sounds good to me!

206September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

All looks good Beth... Would you believe, I love all squash, with the exception of Spaghetti Squash. Mom never made it , because Dad never liked it either.

I like the taste of the spaghetti squash, as almost all squash. My favorite is butternut because there is so much when you cook it. Acorn is Dane's favorite and the one I fixed this week was really nice ~ thick and meaty and not watery & tasteless & stringy as they can be if they are picked too green (how can you really tell if the stem has been broken off?). I have a good sized butternut squash on the countertop that I'll probably cook next week. I wish I could have found some delicata squash but that's almost a specality item that is hard to find around here.

207September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:15 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Well you may be tired of sausage & peppers, Jimmy, but it's got to be better than the same old ~ same old that had to be available for Gabe.  I hope he's got what he likes at the nursing home.

Maybe you should throw together a lasagne the way you like it.  That sounds good to me!

He's doing great in the nursing home. Life for him is surrounded by the sound of the Breakfast , lunch, and dinner bell. Waited on hand and foot.
He was last complaining the dinner fork and knife were hard to use.
Tina has to check that out. Plastic utensils?? maybe??
Just got the Email today!

Lasagna....just threw out 1/2 of one.

Soup.... just had twice this past week. Soup's out!

Maybe egg omelets with tabasco hot sauce... Ummm!!

208September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:42 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I pulled a marinated London broil out of the freezer this morning ~ our favorite Provencal marinate with red wine, soy, honey, dry rosemary and some other stuff......and I did something I've never done before. I drained off the marinate when it was thawed and boiled it down for about 10 minutes or so. I figured that was enough to kill off anything that might kill ME. LOL I wanted to see if I could turn it into a sauce for the sliced meat. And it worked. Mr. Amazing was happy as a clam with the lima beans (his favorite vegetable) and I finished it off with some baked sweet potatoes.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 IMG_20160916_171741263_HDR

209September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:05 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Everybody is eating better than I am. Tonight I tried a Boston Market meatloaf & mashed with corn. It has been an eternity since I have had a frozen dinner. The meatloaf was a beef flavored sponge. I can eat it so as not to starve but I have had better meals.

I went into my BIL's office and saw this wrapped-up thing with a note on it. Took a read. It is a human skeleton. Do not touch. Wonderful. As if I would touch that thing. I am sharing the house with a dead person. I wonder who he/she was?

210September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:53 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Everybody is eating better than I am. Tonight I tried a Boston Market meatloaf & mashed with corn. It has been an eternity since I have had a frozen dinner. The meatloaf was a beef flavored sponge. I can eat it so as not to starve but I have had better meals.

I went into my BIL's office and saw this wrapped-up thing with a note on it. Took a read. It is a human skeleton. Do not touch. Wonderful. As if I would touch that thing. I am sharing the house with a dead person. I wonder who he/she was?

Maybe the skeleton is going to be decoration for Halloween which is right around the corner. lol!

211September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper and desserts.... Tina went to PA and she and my cousin went shopping. Then to the farmers market.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 SXZ6FY

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 NwN1m7

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 FPn6p4

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 2gDxLt

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 SYOR2F

Scones from two day's ago.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 FPeYX7

212September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:08 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:Everybody is eating better than I am. Tonight I tried a Boston Market meatloaf & mashed with corn. It has been an eternity since I have had a frozen dinner. The meatloaf was a beef flavored sponge. I can eat it so as not to starve but I have had better meals.

Maybe the skeleton is going to be decoration for Halloween which is right around the corner. lol!

It is no Halloween decoration. He is a doctor and the thing is left over from his practice when he retired. Apparently it is against the law for anyone other than an MD to own one so he can't just throw it away or sell it. Perhaps some day he will give it to his nephew who is in med school. My friend used to have a pair of life-sized anatomically correct fake skeletons that she dressed up in clothing and had them sitting in her house for Halloween.
Talking about a skeleton made me remember my father tricks. He used to bring home arms with hands and put them in my mom and dad's bed. My mother would find it when she crawled in and would scream bloody murder.

213September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:01 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:

It is no Halloween decoration. He is a doctor and the thing is left over from his practice when he retired. Apparently it is against the law for anyone other than an MD to own one so he can't just throw it away or sell it. Perhaps some day he will give it to his nephew who is in med school. My friend used to have a pair of life-sized anatomically correct fake skeletons that she dressed up in clothing and had them sitting in her house for Halloween.
Talking about a skeleton made me remember my father tricks. He used to bring home arms with hands and put them in my mom and dad's bed. My mother would find it when she crawled in and would scream bloody murder.

That's one helluva back scratcher in the bed! tongue

214September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:16 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

All meals look so yummy...

I did not cook much lately as we did not eat much like usual, we only eat one full meal a day, so I did not cook much,more time to sit in front of the couch and watch Netflix.. so far Dirk loses 10 lbs and counting, he is strict with his diet, I like to cheat sometimes Embarassed

I'm going to visit my mom next month, so I cooked some meals for Dirk, put them in ziploc bags and froze them, I put smaller portion than usual... today while he was out for his long hike, I cooked some Lasagna rolls and since I turned on my oven, I put some pot roast in there too.

So even though I'll be gone for 5 weeks, Dirk will be well taken care of.. I bought a pack of salami and load of cheese so he can make his own sandwiches, and I know he is looking forward to eat his can soups too  Very Happy

My lasagna, filled with sauteed kale, onions, mushroom, hot Jimmy Dean sausages, Ricotta and Mozzarella cheese.. I used store bought sauce

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 14_zpstlpowvc9

My pot roast, I browned my floured coated chuck roast, sauteed onions, tomato paste, worterchershire sauce, red wine

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 15_zpsmqeloz3k

and some meatloaf I cooked last week, I mixed my ground beef with Jimmy sausage and other usual ingredients, this time I added sauce Tomato ketchup, mustard and brown sugar

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 12_zpsiabuhyct

215September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:50 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your meals look great, Imelda!  One of the difficult things about losing weight is the less amount of cooking you seem to do.....kind of takes the fun out of stuff.  Your lasagna rolls look fabulous ~ love that you add all the extra fresh vegetables to make it so huge and healthy.

I'm having more difficulty finding fresh produce I want to cook.  Nothing seems to be that great looking.  I saw a dish for an Asian roasted chicken with baby bok choy (everyone knows how much I like my bok choy)....and I cannot find any.  I thought of changing for Chinese cabbage as the taste is somewhat similar but when I did find that it was awful looking, all wilted and not at all fresh.  I've even had difficulty finding even iceburg lettuce that I could eat.  The last one was full of rust and just nasty.  I ended up tossing it, although I should have returned it to the store for a refund.  I bought a plastic box of fresh spinach and the outside parts you could see were fine but in the middle it was wet and spoiled.  THAT one I did return because it was over $4, which was ridiculous in the first place.

I guess it's just the wrong time of the year for me to be looking for stuff.  I know I have to wait until it's 'after' a frost (probably late November or December) to get the really good kale and greens.  I wish I could grow more than herbs but the courtyard is just too warm for anything to survive.

Have a safe trip to visit your mom. I know how much she must look forward to your annual 'vacation'. I'll be gone for a week later this month to go to Palm Beach Shores with Lyn, Barb and two other friends. Lyn is so generous about sharing her time share vacations. Her husband is busy with his volunteer work (he's president of the local Rotary Club this year) so he cannot get away for a week at a time. Lyn loves getting away to see different places so she 'foots the bill' for lodging and the rest of us get to take advantage of joining her.

216September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:44 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

You would think that FL would have a great produce selection. Maybe it is the area where you live. Out here in CA we can get just about anything we want especially with all of the ethnic markets. Doesn't mean that the tomatoes have any flavor or the apples aren't mealy but we can get it. The only stores I have problems with produce are Walmart and Sprouts. I am really surprised about FL.

217September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:04 pm

NormM

NormM

Beth, I hear Mike Pence is going to be at the Villages today.

Imelda, your cooking is always delectable looking.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

218September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:30 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Beth, I hear Mike Pence is going to be at the Villages today.

Yup - land of Republicans.....LOL The Villages has one of the highest percentages of active voters in the country, but what else do 110,000 retired people got to do?

There's going to be a big bruhaha over the fact they oversold the event for the venue and there will be a bunch of people who got tickets who will be turned away at the door for lack of space. They should have booked him for an outdoor place (we have plenty of those) but then the security would be more difficult I guess.

I figure if you don't get to go to the event you will hear all about it either when they show it on The Villages TV or you can read all about it in the newspaper tomorrow.

219September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had four nice, small zucchini in the refrigerator I had purchased to fry along with some yellow crookneck squash and onion but this morning I wasn't in the mood for the same old - same old meat and two sides. I finally settled on some stuffed zucchini, something I haven't made in a while.

I made some rice (just 1/2 c. raw rice & 1 c. chicken broth) in the microwave and sauteed some onion, celery & carrot to soften. When the rice was done I mixed the veg with it and let it cool and then stored it in the refrigerator until I was ready to proceed.

I got a 1/2 package of Jimmy Dean spicy breakfast sausage and 1 6-oz hamburger patty out to thaw as the meat base for my filling. I ended up also pulling out a pint of homemade marinara as that sounded like a winning combination to me.

So, my filling was the spicy sausage, hamburger meat, rice & vegetables, mixed with an egg to bind it all and some grated mozzarella....just because I had it available to grate. I washed and trimmed the zucchini, scooping out the middles where the tiny seeds were so they were more 'meaty' and wouldn't cook up really watery. I filled the cavities and poured the marinara around the outside of the baking pan. Baked at 350° covered with foil for about 45 minutes, then removed the foil and baked for another 30 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and concentrate. The last 5 minutes of baking I added some slices of moz because I had it and wanted to use it up.

Dane must have liked it or he was REALLY hungry because he ended up eating 5 of those little squash. The 'bakery rolls' weren't necessary but they sure were good when they were thawed out and toasted for a few minutes in the hot oven and were used to sop up the excess sauce from our plates.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 IMG_20160917_171010970

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 IMG_20160917_171429699

220September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:54 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Imelda, your lasagna rolls look super, as everything you cook looks. I have no doubt that Dirk will be well taken care of while you're gone but I'll bet he misses you terribly, as five weeks is a long time!

How long does it take you to get home? Why don't you tell us what cities you fly to (assuming your flight is not direct) and give us a play-by-play on how long it takes for you to get home? I'd sure be interested in knowing, as others probably would, too.

Beth, I like Bok Choy, too. I see it only occasionally in the regular groceries and rarely see the baby Bok Choy. I tried growing some of the latter from seed before without much success. We might try again this winter, depending on how much Brian is able to do in the yard. His back is much worse, too, since he broke two vertebrae last Spring.

We thought we were going to have to move our raised garden due to the location of the generator but it turns out we don't have to do so after all. I wish we could've put the generator farther back in the backyard but finances didn't allow, as trenches would have had to be dug and it would've added quite a lot to the already pricey machinery. We do need to pick up some soil, compost and peat moss to get the raised garden in good shape prior to planting; I guess we're going to have to get someone to haul it for us, as it is now almost impossible for us to get it from the trunk of the car to the garden, down our very skinny alley with a wagon. It's the lifting that kills us. Lynn, the lady who cleans our house and mows our lawn, and her 18-year-old son will probably be the ones who help us get it done. We're so lucky to have Lynn, as she's game for just about anything.

The thing I'm most anxious for from that garden is all the fresh lettuce we grow. It's so nice to walk back there and pick such gorgeous lettuce. And it grows so fast, too, which is also a benefit. Keep your fingers crossed that we can get it in shape really soon, as it all depends on Lynn's availability.

Debbie, we rarely have frozen food but had to buy some last Spring when we were both laid up from back problems. I adore chicken pot pies (I make homemade ones that are delicious!) and one day Brian picked up a couple of large ones made by Boston Market. They were quite good and he still surprises me by telling me he's got one in the freezer for me. I forget how much they cost but I do remember checking the grocery tape and it was less than I expected, considering how good they were and how much chicken (white meat) was in them. I make mine with both white and dark meat chicken, as I think the latter has more flavor, but the Boston Market one is quite good, as is the pie crust they use. It'll be nice once the weather gets cooler (will it ever?!) as they take a bit more than an hour in the oven to cook.

I'm not feeling very well today and stayed in bed. Brian is making meat loaf (I smelled it when I woke up!) and just surprised me by telling me he's making fresh green beans in the pressure cooker. I'm surprised 'cause I hadn't realized he'd paid that much attention when I used it but I guess he did, as he's had no questions. I asked him if he'd used bacon and onions in it and he smiled and said, "Nope. Homemade tasso and onions!" We make our own tasso on the smoker and it's quite good. All he wanted to know what a ballpark time he should keep the beans in the pressure cooker prior to checking on them. I can't wait to taste the lovely dinner he made for us. I'm so lucky to have him, I swear!

Tomorrow I'll make the poor man some macaroni and cheese, as it's what he loves with meatloaf. His last attempt at making it was not good -- I couldn't eat it, as he put WAYYYYYY too much cheddar cheese in it; I'm sure we could've spackled some roof shingles with it, though. I guess that's why he didn't try it again. Tomorrow, I'll get him to watch while I make it so he can take another stab at it...

221September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:59 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, your stuffed zucchini looks divine. Yum, yum. Brian is not a zucchini man but I would happily eat his portion! Good work.

222September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I only used half the filling I made to fill the zucchini. The rest got put into a small casserole dish with a bit of the marinara and some moz slices laid over the top when I took it out of the oven. After it's cooled I'll put it into the freezer for Dane to heat when I'm gone in a couple weeks. You don't need the zucchini.....I just use it because we like the taste and I had it available.

Otherwise, it's just a hamburger/rice casserole ~ or make up a better name for it!

223September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:14 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle ~ how wonderful Brian is surprising you with a wonderful meal when you don't feel well! Tell him I said, "Well done!"

When Lyn was getting ready for her knee surgery she mentioned to me when she doesn't feel well she really likes Stouffer's frozen mac and cheese. So when she got home and was feeling pretty punk I went and found some little 6 oz. containers of Stouffer's mac & cheese (2 per package for about $2.49). They also have a 12 oz. container for the same price. But when you don't feel good sometimes just a little bit looks better to you, doesn't overwhelm you with a large serving. They were easy to heat in the microwave and she loved them.

When our girls were young they never noticed my aversion to cheese. I gave them cheese for snacks and grilled cheese sandwiches, etc. I didn't want them to grow up unable to eat the stuff as I do. So whenever I wasn't going to be home for supper, maybe had a meeting or something, I would make homemade mac and cheese for them to eat with Dane. They thought it was great.

So, good luck in teaching Brian to make it himself. He'll probably start to experiment with all kinds of 'add-ins' and really enjoy himself.

Hope you feel better soon!

224September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:14 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Michele, I did buy some BM pot pies for Joe to eat while I am gone. He can cook hamburgers, hot dogs, make tuna sandwiches and fry eggs.

225September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 9 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:07 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I am so sick of egg plant, I don't want to see it for a year.
We had fried breaded egg plant; egg plant meatballs mixed with meatball mix.
Then a large pan of Moussaka. Eggplant Greek Casserole.

Eggplant wasn't bitter, but holy cow, they were full of seeds. Not soft seeds; but hard seeds like mini pop corn.

I'll be up late tonight watching the Bomb crap in NYC '

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum