Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

September 2016, Whats for Dinner??

+5
bethk
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
1DomesticGoddess
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 16]

101September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:06 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Supper..... was two small chickens roasted at Walmart.
The son and DIL came for supper....
Guess who did NOT come to dinner?? ...... ]

GD? How's she doing anyway? I presume she's still not working so I guess she's out and about if she didn't show for dinner. When's the baby due, Jimmy?

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I ate a spoon of stuffing, and 3 string beans. Not much of an appetite today.
I had cataract surgery this morning, and I just have no appetite.
Maybe after tomorrow at 7:30 AM I do a post op checkup. Then I will be relieved.

Wow, I didn't know you were having that done today. I hope everything turns out great, and they usually do as it's very common today and doctors are very experienced at doing them. I hope you feel better, as I worry about you when you're not hungry!

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Right now, I'm watching the Andy Griffith episode of Aunt Bea's Pickles!

I remember that episode, as did Brian. They had to eat another batch of those dreadful pickles. Not me! It's a cute show. We saw the first couple of episodes not so long ago that neither of us had ever seen. Barney was just being hired and Barney was Andy's cousin! He called him "Cousin Barney" in the first three or four episodes. Plus, we howled when Andy was coming down the stairs smoking a cigarette! It's so strange now to see that on TV or in a movie....

102September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Guess who did NOT come to dinner?? ......

I ate a spoon of stuffing, and 3 string beans. Not much of an appetite today.
Maybe after tomorrow at 7:30 AM I do a post op checkup. Then I will be relieved.

Right now, I'm watching the Andy Griffith episode of Aunt Bea's Pickles!

Kerosine.

103September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:26 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Guess who did NOT come to dinner?? ......

I ate a spoon of stuffing, and 3 string beans. Not much of an appetite today.

Right now, I'm watching the Andy Griffith episode of Aunt Bea's Pickles!

OK, let's all think about this.....re: Guess who did NOT come to dinner??.......

Who only eats chicken that is crispy and not 'almost' done with pink flesh around the joints?
That's right....JIMMY!

I know a lot of people love those deli chickens but I'm with Jimmy on this one. I can't eat them unless I know they just came off the rotisserie and I can bring them home and put them in my oven to continue cooking for another 30 minutes or so. I've never seen one that was cooked enough for my taste. I much prefer roasting my own chicken ~ a perfectly roasted (and completely cooked) bird is a thing of beauty in my mind. But it cannot have 'almost' cooked flesh around the thigh/leg joints. I want the wing tips to be cooked down to crunchy bits of chicken-y goodness. And I don't want ANY flabby fat laden skin on my plate ~ there might be some 'soft' skin under the bird from allowing it to sit and rest but if the skin's not crispy, don't offer it to eat please.

OK, now everyone is properly grossed out first thing in the morning from my description of an under-cooked deli chicken.......

Have a great day !! Very Happy

104September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:11 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I don't buy those chickens because I don't know how long they have been sitting there.

105September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't care for the seasoning they usually use....too much salt for me most of the time. And, quite honestly, if you have the time, there is nothing easier than a roasted chicken.

I don't even care about the heat in the kitchen. If it gets too hot I just set the thermostat back a couple degrees. My electric bill hasn't bankrupted me yet.

106September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:12 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Guess who did NOT come to dinner?? ...... ]

GD?  How's she doing anyway?  I presume she's still not working so I guess she's out and about if she didn't show for dinner.  When's the baby due, Jimmy?

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I ate a spoon of stuffing, and 3 string beans. Not much of an appetite today.

Wow, I didn't know you were having that done today.  I hope everything turns out great, and they usually do as it's very common today and doctors are very experienced at doing them.  I hope you feel better, as I worry about you when you're not hungry!

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Right now, I'm watching the Andy Griffith episode of Aunt Bea's Pickles!

I remember that episode, as did Brian.  They had to eat another batch of those dreadful pickles.  Not me!  It's a cute show.  We saw the first couple of episodes not so long ago that neither of us had ever seen.  Barney was just being hired and Barney was Andy's cousin!  He called him "Cousin Barney" in the first three or four episodes.  Plus, we howled when Andy was coming down the stairs smoking a cigarette!  It's so strange now to see that on TV or in a movie....

It was Jimmy ( me ) that did't sit down to chicken dinner.
The chickens were small fryers, and they were done. Not crispy done, but done.The big ones, we throw in the oven like Beth said to cook them more.

GD was here..... she ate and loves chicken like her dad. She's doing ok; big belly and all. She's due Oct + / - 23rd.

Yeah! I get a kick out of watching the old movies when the stars all smoked.
And Gary Moore in I've Got a Secret; he was a puffer. So was Johnny Carson.

The surgery went ok. Just got back from the post op, and he was pleased.
So tired from the boring b/s.....
Tina is at the Verizon store.....she was hasty, and dropped my iphone, and smashed the crap out of the screen & Outside cover.
We took the loss and dropped warranty for $10.00 xtra a month. I could see where it is worth it now! ..... I'm getting a new phone just like the broken one.
Good deal eh?....

107September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:39 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Playing around with a vegetarian French onion soup recipe today.

My sister left for Italy yesterday. 5 hours from L.A. to N.Y.. Then another 8 from N.Y. to Rome. I think I would go crazy. She is going to take a sleeping pill on the flight to Rome.
I was watching an old Charlie Chan movie last night. A flight from Honolulu to L.A. took 18 hours! He was flying to Berlin. The total trip took 61 hours. Can you imagine? They took a Zeppelin for the flight from N.Y. to Berlin. I wonder if it was the hydrogen variety? YIKES! They actually had staterooms on those things.

108September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:15 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:It was Jimmy ( me ) that did't sit down to chicken dinner.
The chickens were small fryers, and they were done. Not crispy done, but done.The big ones, we throw in the oven like Beth said to cook them more.

GD was here..... she ate and loves chicken like her dad. She's doing ok; big belly and all. She's due Oct + / - 23rd.

Tina is at the Verizon store.....she was hasty, and dropped my iphone, and smashed the crap out of the screen & Outside cover.
We took the loss and dropped warranty for $10.00 xtra a month. I could see where it is worth it now! ..... I'm getting a new phone just like the broken one.
Good deal eh?....

Am laughing, as I forgot about how picky you are about how chicken is made. I'm literally the person who'll eat just about anything. I can even eat things I don't particularly like if timing requires it, say like a dinner party. Well, I eat enough and move the rest around enough on my plate so the hostess couldn't tell that I didn't like something. Brian eats a lot more stuff than he used to but boy, I sure wish he liked seafood -- even one type, say shrimp or crabmeat, would be helpful.

I'm glad your cataract surgery went well, Jimmy. And congrats on carrying the coverage that covered a brand new phone for you. Those phones are so expensive now that it's probably smart for a person to carry that type of coverage.

I just had a fried shrimp po-boy for lunch that Brian picked up from the convenient store about a half-mile from us. They make the best sandwiches and they're so reasonably priced. He got me an 8-inch fried shrimp sandwich on French bread -- they use my favorite French bread from the Leidenheimer Bakery, too -- dressed, which in N.O. means with lettuce, tomato and mayo. I thought of you guys when I unwrapped the sandwich and tried to count the shrimp -- I couldn't count them all 'cause some were covering others but what I could count was 24 shrimp! Breaded and fried, the shrimp were a little bit bigger than a quarter is so it's not made from teeny-tiny shrimp but big fresh ones. And know how much the sandwich was? $5.49! You can get a 16" or a 32" sandwich, too, if you're going to share it. The 32" one (the size of the whole loaf of French bread) costs less than 4 times the $5.49 so if four people want to split it, it's a real bargain. Mmm, was it good, too, and the shrimp were still warm! Brian got an 8-inch hot sausage and American cheese po-boy and I think that was $3.29 (he had to pay extra for the cheese)! The sandwich is so stuffed with shrimp that when you bite into a half, shrimp fall out of the other end! I had mine with tons of Tabasco shaken on top of the shrimp -- mmmm good! The problem is I'll still be full at dinner time.

109September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This convenience store - it makes the sandwiches for you? Not pre-made I hope. Like gas station sushi, I wouldn't touch the pre-maid with a 10-foot pole.

110September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Boy, Michelle, I sure could go for one of your shrimp po-boys about now.....funny how the best ones are sold in convenience stores. And, no, Bugs, it's not like the convenience store you know where there is a rolling cart with hot dogs heating away. The ones in NO are more like small family run restaurants where they carry grocery items, etc. so the locals don't have to drive across town for basics like milk and bread. Heck, Michelle, I'd be happy with a loaf of that fabulous bread all by itself! LOL

I've got a couple boneless pork loin chops and a nice pork steak coming to room temp and absorbing seasoning before I toss 'em on the grill. I'll cook some corn at the same time as long as the grill is hot. Dane was nice enough to snip the beans for me. I looked in the veg drawer and saw a head of red cabbage that I didn't have plans for so I thought braised cabbage would be good with the pork for a change. I wanted something a bit different from my usual and looked up recipes on all recipes.com for ideas. I was amazed how many called for cloves to be cooked with the sweet/sour cabbage.

So, I'm giving it a try. I rendered a couple slices of chopped bacon and removed most of the fat. Then I started to soften some onion and a thinly sliced apple. Seasoned with s&p, a pinch of ground cloves, a pinch of ground cinnamon, a few grates of nutmeg and a couple bay leaves ~ then 2 Tbsp. of sugar and 2 Tbsp. of cider vinegar, 1/4 c. of chicken stock and finally the sliced red cabbage. I'll let it simmer down until it's all tender, probably 40 minutes or so. The 'fragrance' isn't all that enticing but I gave it a taste test a minute ago and it's pretty tasty. You don't really taste the spices but it has an interesting 'back-note'. We'll have to wait and see if Mr. Amazing likes it.

111September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success! Mr. Amazing had a second helping of the sweet & sour braised red cabbage. I just hope there is no 'cabbage regret' to come around midnight........LOL

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 IMG_20160909_173712527_HDR

112September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:35 pm

NormM

NormM

I tried my hand at some homemade General Tso's chicken. Charlie was amused that I would spend so much time making something that we could get by picking up the phone and having delivered in a fraction of the time it takes to make it. After he had some, he said he'd rather have this than delivery.

September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 DSCN3738_zpsyugqm94y

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

113September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:11 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I tried my hand at some homemade General Tso's chicken.  Charlie was amused that I would spend so much time making something that we could get by picking up the phone and having delivered in a fraction of the time it takes to make it. After he had some, he said he'd rather have this than delivery.

And so, with age, come wisdom......you KNEW that!

Good Job!

114September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:46 pm

NormM

NormM

I hoped I knew that.

115September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:07 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
Uncle Jimmy wrote:It was Jimmy ( me ) that did't sit down to chicken dinner.

Good deal eh?....

Am laughing, as I forgot about how picky you are about how chicken is made.  I'm literally the person who'll eat just about anything.  I can even eat things I don't particularly like if timing requires it, say like a dinner party.  Well, I eat enough and move the rest around enough on my plate so the hostess couldn't tell that I didn't like something.  Brian eats a lot more stuff than he used to but boy, I sure wish he liked seafood -- even one type, say shrimp or crabmeat, would be helpful.

I'm glad your cataract surgery went well, Jimmy.  And congrats on carrying the coverage that covered a brand new phone for you.  Those phones are so expensive now that it's probably smart for a person to carry that type of coverage.  

I just had a fried shrimp po-boy for lunch that Brian picked up from the convenient store about a half-mile from us.  They make the best sandwiches and they're so reasonably priced.  He got me an 8-inch fried shrimp sandwich on French bread -- they use my favorite French bread from the Leidenheimer Bakery, too -- dressed, which in N.O. means with lettuce, tomato and mayo.  I thought of you guys when I unwrapped the sandwich and tried to count the shrimp -- I couldn't count them all 'cause some were covering others but what I could count was 24 shrimp!  Breaded and fried, the shrimp were a little bit bigger than a quarter is so it's not made from teeny-tiny shrimp but big fresh ones.  And know how much the sandwich was?  $5.49!  You can get a 16" or a 32" sandwich, too, if you're going to share it.  The 32" one (the size of the whole loaf of French bread) costs less than 4 times the $5.49 so if four people want to split it, it's a real bargain.  Mmm, was it good, too, and the shrimp were still warm!  Brian got an 8-inch hot sausage and American cheese po-boy and I think that was $3.29 (he had to pay extra for the cheese)!  The sandwich is so stuffed with shrimp that when you bite into a half, shrimp fall out of the other end!  I had mine with tons of Tabasco shaken on top of the shrimp -- mmmm good!  The problem is I'll still be full at dinner time.  
.....Wow! What a great sandwich. And what a great description on how it was eaten. Yumm!
Only question is.... "How did Brian eat his Sausage Sandwich?" "Did he hold it with two hands, and bite the middle like a little kid?" .... Or ...." Start at one end and force the contents until the last sausage end was thumb pushed in his mouth, and with a big burp, he licked his fingers clean?"
And thank you for the great images I have in my "Gotta have some" storage area of my brain!".  hahahaahahaa Laughing

116September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Would you believe.... Tina made a huge pot of hamburger beef vegetable soup.
It had everything but the kitchen sink in it. Good too!
We had it with buttered hard rolls, to soak up the juices.

Dessert was some home made moist banana cake.

117September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:25 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

There's nothing more comforting than homemade soup. I was just yearning for some beef soup bones to make a nice big pot of 'end of summer' beef vegetable soup. But I refuse to spend the $$$ they ask for bones. Use to be you could get enough nice marrow/knuckle bones for a couple bucks to make your stock. Now it would cost me over $20 and that's just for a few shank bones. I've yet to find any joint bones here at all. ((sigh))

118September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:41 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:This convenience store - it makes the sandwiches for you? Not pre-made I hope. Like gas station sushi, I wouldn't touch the pre-maid with a 10-foot pole.

Nope, they make them right there while you wait. You can watch the entire process. We've been going there for 18 years now and they're as clean as clean can be. And delicious, too.

119September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:Supper was a success! Mr. Amazing had a second helping of the sweet & sour braised red cabbage. I just hope there is no 'cabbage regret' to come around midnight........LOL

Your meal looked delicious, Beth, especially the braised cabbage. I'd kill for some of that right now!

120September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:52 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I don't buy those chickens because I don't know how long they have been sitting there.

They have stickers on them here with the date AND time they were made. Most of the time, they're delicious. My only gripe is they're most often the tiniest chickens I've ever seen!

121September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:24 am

NormM

NormM

Beth, around here, Asian markets sell soup bones for a reasonable price.

122September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:.....Wow! What a great sandwich. And what a great description on how it was eaten. Yumm!
Only question is.... "How did Brian eat his Sausage Sandwich?" "Did he hold it with two hands, and bite the middle like a little kid?" .... Or ...." Start at one end and force the contents until the last sausage end was thumb pushed in his mouth, and with a big burp, he licked his fingers clean?"
And thank you for the great images I have in my "Gotta have some" storage area of my brain!". hahahaahahaa Laughing

I'm laughing, too, Jimmy, as I didn't realize how I'd gone on and on about that sandwich! They cut them in half, too, prior to wrapping them in freezer paper Their hot sausage sandwich is the hot sausage patties so though it's pretty full of sausage, it's not as hard to eat as the shrimp is. Believe it or not, he usually only eats half of it, while yours truly is wolfing down my entire sandwich. Not yesterday, as he ate the whole thing!

As I predicted, we were both still too full for dinner. So for dinner, all we had was dessert! Brian had made brownies earlier in the day. He served me a big square of warm brownie with my favorite Creole Cream Cheese Ice Cream on top! Absolutely delicious!

The little convenient that makes the sandwiches is called River Fine Foods (it's on the river road, just like our house). Depending on what size sandwich they're making, they often cut off the round end of the loaf of French bread and often have other smaller pieces of bread, too, left from making sandwiches. They sell a big plastic bag of French bread pieces for $2.00! It's enough good-sized pieces of French bread to comfortably stuff a 13x9" pan full, which means it's perfect for a big pan of bread pudding. So if I want to make bread pudding, I just ask Brian to stop and pick me up a bag of bread ends and pieces and there you go. Pretty neat, no?! Can't beat it for two bucks!

I've gotten breakfast from there, too. They open at 7 a.m. and serve breakfast until 11 a.m., I think. For two scrambled eggs, two pieces of buttered toast, two sausage links and a huge serving of grits (it fills the big section in a divided styrofoam to-go container), they charge $2.79, I think. And yeah, Bug, you can watch them make all of that stuff, too. I asked for three eggs and three sausage patties instead of the links so mine was $3.29, I think. It was really early so he told me it would be 15 minutes until the grits were ready. I told him no problem, that I'd go sit in the car to wait, as I really wanted those hot grits. That sweet little guy -- he's the nephew of the two brothers who own the store -- actually came out to my car in the parking lot and told me when the grits were ready. My eyes were bigger than my stomach as I couldn't finish that huge breakfast. But boy, was it good!

123September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:35 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

NormM wrote:Beth, around here, Asian markets sell soup bones for a reasonable price.

Wow, Norm, I'd never even thought of that. I'm going to check it out, too, as I love making beef vegetable soup and also sometimes make homemade beef stock. The latter requires, besides the bones, a decent amount of chuck as well to make it really beefy, so I haven't made it in a long time....

Thanks for the tip!

124September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Most mornings, like this a.m., Brian brings me coffee and either some raspberry tea or some iced coffee so I can take my morning pills.  I think I've mentioned that our stairs, being in such an old house, are really steep.  He calls me and I go halfway down and he comes halfway up, and hands me my coffee and drink.  

Lots of mornings, we wake up early and take our pain pills and then lollygag in bed before he gets up and goes downstairs to get coffee.  Well, he just brought me my coffee and when I said he got an earlier than usual start this morning, he had a two word reply:  "Chicken wings!"  I swear, it was a good thing I hadn't taken a sip of coffee yet, as I probably would've sprayed it out all over him.

Last night when he came to bed (and brought me my brownie and ice cream), I told him that I'd gotten an email yesterday from the grocery we shop at saying they had chicken wings on sale for $1.59/lb.  That's almost as cheap as they used to be!  He said he's been dying to grill some wings, and I said I knew that 'cause he's been talking about it lately.  I said I hadn't noticed but the sale was probably "while supplies last."  

So it's not 8 a.m. yet and he's off to Rouse's (the grocery).  Brian makes THE BEST wings but it's kind of a bi*ch in this heat, as after he brines the wings, he makes a two-level fire, one low-level fire to cook them on and the second level is a hotter fire to brown them up.  They turn out soooo good -- and the brining succeeds in seasoning them all the way through, but it takes a decent amount of time standing at the hot grill in the hot sun.  I usually eat mine plain but he'll use barbecue sauce or an Asian sauce (or both) on his.  Sometimes I'll have a few with some Raspberry Chipotle Sauce, too.  The brined wings are from a recipe from Cook's Illustrated that we've been making for years (the requisite cookbook pages are soiled so you know that's a well used recipe).

125September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? - Page 5 Empty Re: September 2016, Whats for Dinner?? Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:56 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

I decided to post the recipe for the chicken wings in case any of you wanted it. I didn't copy what they say to do with a gas grill but if anyone wants that, I will look it up, type it out and post it for you.

Charcoal Grilled Brined Chicken Wings
Makes 24 wing pieces, serving 4 to 6.
Recipe from Cook's Illustrated, July 1, 1999.

Use a grill that is large enough to hold all the wings over roughly one-half of the rack surface. Brine the wings while the grill fire heats up to save time.

3/4 cup kosher salt (or 6 tablespoons table salt)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
12 whole chicken wings (about 2-1/2 pounds), wingtips discarded, and wings
separated into two sections
Freshly ground black pepper

1. In gallon-sized zipper-lock plastic bag, dissolve salt and sugar in 1 quart water. Add chicken; press out as much air as possible from bag and seal; refrigerate until fully seasoned, 30 minutes. Remove from brine, rinse well under running water, dry thoroughly with paper towels, and season with pepper.
2. Meanwhile, build a two-level fire in grill by igniting one large chimney (or about 6 quarts) of charcoal briquettes; burn until completely covered with thin coating of light-gray ash. Empty coals into grill and spread in even layer over bottom; place another three-quarters chimney full (or scant 4 quarts) of fresh briquettes over one-half of lit coals (pile should come to within about 2-1/2 inches of grill rack).
(If using hardwood charcoal, ignite about 10 quarts of charcoal and, once it is completely covered with gray ash, use fireplace tool to push about 3/4 of it to one side of grill.) Position grill rack over coals; heat until very hot, about 10 minutes.
3. Grill chicken pieces over lower-heat area (with single layer of coals), turning once, until color is light spotty brown, skin has thinned, and fat has rendered, 8 to 10 minutes. Using tongs, move chicken pieces to high-heat side of grill; grill, turning constantly to prevent charring, until wings are dark spotty brown and skin has crisped, 2 to 3 minutes longer.
4. Transfer to serving platter and serve immediately, with a squeeze of lemon or lime, or with an accompanying dipping sauce, if desired.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 16]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum