Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had an onion bagel with lots of whipped cream cheese.
( note!)
I don't like the whipped cream cheese. It tastes like foam or like meringue...

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had an onion bagel with lots of whipped cream cheese.
( note!)

It doesn't taste any different to me, but it's pricier so I asked Brian to stop getting it unless there's a reason for the soft stuff -- like dip. It's better for dips 'cause it doesn't get as hard as the regular stuff when it's refrigerated.

We make a super dip with mushrooms we smoke on the smoker and it's perfect for that. It's a great dip, too. A guy on the Virtual Weber forum used to buy a smoked mushroom dip at Whole Foods and then he experimented with it at home and put together a very nice recipe for it. Every time we've made it, it disappears in record time...

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Had an onion bagel with lots of whipped cream cheese.
( note!)

It doesn't taste any different to me, but it's pricier so I asked Brian to stop getting it unless there's a reason for the soft stuff -- like dip.  It's better for dips 'cause it doesn't get as hard as the regular stuff when it's refrigerated.  

We make a super dip with mushrooms we smoke on the smoker and it's perfect for that.  It's a great dip, too.  A guy on the Virtual Weber forum used to buy a smoked mushroom dip at Whole Foods and then he experimented with it at home and put together a very nice recipe for it.  Every time we've made it, it disappears in record time...

Michelle , that is exactly what the whipped was bought for. The mushroom dip. We had it once, and Tina loved it so much, she did buy the cheese for another batch, which never got made.
I prefer the 8 oz. brick of the original. It has to be Philadelphia brand also!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Michelle , that is exactly what the whipped was bought for. The mushroom dip. We had it once, and Tina loved it so much, she did buy the cheese for another batch, which never got made.

I prefer the 8 oz. brick of the original. It has to be Philadelphia brand also!  

I like Philly brand, too, Jimmy.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

I'm enjoying a cup of... Instant Chocolate Indulgence (a coffee beverage which I created years ago).

Also having buttered whole wheat toast.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a quick breakfast. Had a Slap sandwich... ~ took a slice of Land O Lakes cheese,
and "Slapped" it between a slice of white American; and then folded it in half.
3 Bites, and 3 chews later; and it was gone...

bethk

bethk
Admin

I haven't found any Chinese carry-out I care for here....I miss it.

But I did find some frozen pork egg rolls I can heat up in the toaster oven that aren't bad at all.

So, that's what I had for lunch.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina picked me up a egg Mac Muffin this AM ....

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I haven't found any Chinese carry-out I care for here....I miss it.

We have loads of good Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants -- one a couple of miles away from us was listed in a national Top 10 Restaurants for Beef Pho, which we love -- and several good Thai places, too.  A few of the restaurants make more than one of the cuisines, as some people aren't familiar with Vietnamese food so they're uncomfortable with it and would prefer Chinese.  

At any rate, we have lots of them.  But what we wish for is one that delivers!  Years and years ago I was told by a Canadian woman (lived in a big city, Toronto, I think) that just about every restaurant of any type delivered there.  There's a delivery service that picks up from different restaurants and delivers for a fee but it doesn't service any restaurants we like near us.  I know it must seem like the height of laziness but we usually decide not to cook when we're either tired from activities and/or tired and it's late, too!  By the time you're that tired, it would be nice not to have to jump in the car and go get it.  Or perhaps we've had a drink or two and it's just not safe to drive, to me, if you've had more than one drink.  Sometimes we just want some fried rice to go with something we've made or are making at home; of course, there would probably be a minimum so we wouldn't be adverse (grin) to order an order or two of egg rolls and/or spring rolls in order to drive up the price.

Anybody out there able to order delivery from a variety of restaurants?  Just curious...

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed typos so no one thought I was drinking!)

Crybaby

Crybaby

Brian had fruit salad (pineapple, watermelon and blueberries), and I had plain Greek non-fat yogurt with Total (dry cereal) on top and fruit salad around.  Oh, and I threw in some candied pecan halves, too, for that sugary taste!  

We hardly ever use up whole fruit when we buy it before one or two pieces go bad so we usually buy a couple of cut up fresh fruit containers the grocery makes up and just mix them together in a nice refrigerator container.  A big container of fresh fruit salad from the grocery (tons of different things in it) was $21.95 (yikes!) but I got a large container of both watermelon and pineapple for $3.99 each and 8-oz. of fresh blueberries for $2.79 -- the same big container of mixed fruit for just under $11.00.   Not cheap but fruit isn't these days and even more pricey if it's cut up. Funny how we eat more of it when it's cut up.  It also makes a nice side dish for a meat entree in summer, especially if it's grilled.  Makes a tastes-good-'cause-it's-cold lunch if you've been working in the yard, too.  Or just sitting out in the shade as it's hot as blazes down here (if it's not raining, like it's been lately).  If I made smoothies, it would be nice in there with some ice cubes and Greek yogurt, too.  I'm going to have to make a smoothy one day now that I think about it.  I have lots of fresh mint in the garden, too...

Bugster2

Bugster2

Yes, we can get home delivery from quite a few restaurants but it costs. We also have what is called Little Saigon out here which is supposed to have the largest Vietnamese population in the US. Tons of restaurants but frankly I won't eat in one.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane likes cantaloupe.....as long as I clean it and cut it into bite size pieces. If I have a cantaloupe on the countertop or even in the refrigerator and it's NOT cut up, it can turn to mush and mold before he'll cut it into wedges and eat it. Yes, I do believe I've spoiled him. It's my own fault, to be sure.

I like raspberries with my yogurt and granola (Bear Naked Fruit & Nut). I'll buy a quart of Stoneyfield plain yogurt and add my own vanilla paste and honey or agave to sweeten it a bit. Then a bunch of raspberries and a sprinkle of the granola. It's a great breakfast that stays with me for a long time.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Dane likes cantaloupe.....as long as I clean it and cut it into bite size pieces.  If I have a cantaloupe on the countertop or even in the refrigerator and it's NOT cut up, it can turn to mush and mold before he'll cut it into wedges and eat it.  Yes, I do believe I've spoiled him.  It's my own fault, to be sure.

Brian's really good at doing that, too -- and he BUYS it! He announced with glee about a month ago that he had cut up the small round watermelon he'd bought at the store. I had to laugh but at least he got to it this time before it went bad. He laughed, too, when he saw me smiling -- he knows!

If they're spoiled, Beth, we usually enjoyed doing it, too. It's just not as much fun if Brian isn't a fan of something (i.e., won't eat it at all). You're right, of course; it's our fault for sure!

Beth wrote:I like raspberries with my yogurt and granola (Bear Naked Fruit & Nut).  I'll buy a quart of Stoneyfield plain yogurt and add my own vanilla paste and honey or agave to sweeten it a bit.  Then a bunch of raspberries and a sprinkle of the granola.  It's a great breakfast that stays with me for a long time.

Yep -- it's a filling breakfast for sure and keeps me full as well. I like the tartness of the plain yogurt -- and then it's good for things I want to use it for as well, usually in lieu of sour cream or mayo. If you strain the Greek stuff, the consistency is a lot like cream cheese, too. Brian won't eat it by itself but will eat it when I use it in something or as a substitute. If he liked the stuff, I'd take a shot at making my own but it's not worth it just for me.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Yep -- it's a filling breakfast for sure and keeps me full as well.  I like the tartness of the plain yogurt -- and then it's good for things I want to use it for as well, usually in lieu of sour cream or mayo.  If you strain the Greek stuff, the consistency is a lot like cream cheese, too.  Brian won't eat it by itself but will eat it when I use it in something or as a substitute.  If he liked the stuff, I'd take a shot at making my own but it's not worth it just for me.

Yeah, Barb made her own yogurt all the time, was the only kind she ate.....and I tried 3 times ~ and I couldn't get a Crock Pot of yogurt at all. I ended up with a mess. So I finally gave up and once I found the Stoneyfield or Fage I stopped trying any others. Plus, a quart of the store-bought is enough to last me a week.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Prepping for lunch! Why not have bacon in EVERY bite?

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_095347567

To keep the bacon from curling up as it cooks I top the woven bacon with a couple 'cooling' racks to keep it all flat.

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_095414083

When the bacon is cooked ALMOST....I take it out of the oven. It gets a final 'crisp up' between paper towels in the microwave so it's hot and crisp on our sandwiches. The extra woven bacon slabs can be wrapped and stuck in the freezer for any time you want a great BLT.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bacon's ready to crisp up in the microwave as soon as I get back from water exercise class!

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_110448625

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made an omelet this morning. It had fried diced bacon and onions, sautéed baby spinach in bacon grease, gruyere and parmesan. I was my copycat recipe from a restaurant that is long gone.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Bacon's ready to crisp up in the microwave as soon as I get back from water exercise class!

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_110448625

How many pieces of bacon are in each square, Beth?

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:I made an omelet this morning. It had fried diced bacon and onions, sautéed baby spinach in bacon grease, gruyere and parmesan. I was my copycat recipe from a restaurant that is long gone.

Sounds delicious, Debbie. Gruyere is one of my favorites.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:When the bacon is cooked ALMOST....I take it out of the oven. It gets a final 'crisp up' between paper towels in the microwave so it's hot and crisp on our sandwiches. The extra woven bacon slabs can be wrapped and stuck in the freezer for any time you want a great BLT.

Would be good on a grilled cheese, too. With a slice of tomato? Yum!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:I made an omelet this morning. It had fried diced bacon and onions, sautéed baby spinach in bacon grease, gruyere and parmesan. I was my copycat recipe from a restaurant that is long gone.

Sounds good to me! (In MY mind I sub cream cheese for the Gruyere and then I'm fine.....same with my mind switching parsley for cilantro ~ it's a GIFT, I know! LOL)

bethk

bethk
Admin

The woven bacon is made with 3 slices of thin sliced bacon, cut in half. I usually get 15 slices in a pound of bacon ~ thick slice takes way too long to cook down for me.

So, here is MY list of rules for making BLT's (like everyone else doesn't have rules....sure......)

1. White bread, lightly toasted ~ lightly buttered to soften toast edges (you don't want to cut the roof of your mouth!)
2. MIRACLE WHIP on the top and bottom. The MW must be put into a small sauce dish so knives are not inserted into the MW in the jar, contaminating it with toast crumbs or Gawd knows what??
3. Lettuce to cover the MW, top and bottom.
4. Tomato sliced THIN, added to top and seasoned lightly with s&p. (MUST be at room temperature)
5. Bacon weave put on the lettuce on the bottom piece of toast (lettuce).
6. Additional lettuce added so tomato does not get juices on the crispy bacon.
7. Bacon side flipped on top of tomato side ~ then entire sandwich flipped over so tomato side is back on top.
8. Sandwich is pierced with a couple picks so it doesn't fall apart and it is cut DIAGONALLY.

Will you just look at those tomatoes??? Not a green gunky seed to be found!

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_131452332

Lunch was so, SO good!

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_131825966

OMG ~ Where did those CHEETOS come from???

Bugster2

Bugster2

I made a woven bacon taco shell once.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Prepping for lunch!  Why not have bacon in EVERY bite?

To keep the bacon from curling up as it cooks I top the woven bacon with a couple 'cooling' racks to keep it all flat.

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? - Page 2 IMG_20160830_095414083

When the bacon is cooked ALMOST....I take it out of the oven.  It gets a final 'crisp up' between paper towels in the microwave so it's hot and crisp on our sandwiches.  The extra woven bacon slabs can be wrapped and stuck in the freezer for any time you want a great BLT.

Gotta steal the idea.. we love bacon, I'm imagining biting the full bacon sandwiches.. yummy

bethk

bethk
Admin

You and Dirk will love it! You like to play with your food as much as I do ~ LOL

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum