Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ??

+2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This morning I had a fried egg; fried ham and cheese on toasted white bread. Coffee...

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was out watering some plants when it 'hit me' that I wanted some potato pancakes....and I wanted them for my breakfast! Do you ever get an almost uncontrollable urge for a certain food? Grandma would have told me my body was 'lacking' in some nutrient, but, come on ~ potato, onion, egg & oil???? I think my hips just wanted to laugh at me.......

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? IMG_20160803_082512912

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Looks great Beth.... Hey! like Tina says... She just tells her thighs,"Don't look, just enjoy how good I feed you, and don't make a BIG thing out of it!"

Same for me with my belly! .... You know it's big, when you need stretch waist pants to wear, and yet be able to breath! LOL

Anyway, for lunch, Tina was wishing for fried meatballs. So brunch was nibbling on golden fried meatballs.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I was out watering some plants when it 'hit me' that I wanted some potato pancakes....and I wanted them for my breakfast!  Do you ever get an almost uncontrollable urge for a certain food?  Grandma would have told me my body was 'lacking' in some nutrient, but, come on ~ potato, onion, egg & oil????  I think my hips just wanted to laugh at me.......

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? IMG_20160803_082512912

Boy, those look picture perfect, Beth.  Brian doesn't like potatoes but you should've seen him when I first made these -- we call them latkes, though.  They remind him of the type of hash browns he likes, where the potatoes are shredded or grated.  God, they're good -- yours look exceptionally good!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:Hey! like Tina says... She just tells her thighs,"Don't look, just enjoy how good I feed you, and don't make a BIG thing out of it!"

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? 2876911673

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
Boy, those look picture perfect, Beth.  Brian doesn't like potatoes but you should've seen him when I first made these -- we call them latkes, though.  They remind him of the type of hash browns he likes, where the potatoes are shredded or grated.  God, they're good -- yours look exceptionally good!

I cannot call them latkes ever since Chef June called me out on that.....I said I serve them with bratwurst and she told me in no uncertain terms that latkes would NEVER be served with bratwurst....a pork sausage. LOL

So, what I make is a GERMAN POTATO PANCAKE.....just like the ladies at the German American Festival. I make these shredded ones for the most part but I prefer the ones where you GRIND the potatoes and onions. I use my KA grinder but the German ladies used one of those cast iron, screw-on-the-table-edge grinders. Now THOSE come out creamy on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside. To die for!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:So, what I make is a GERMAN POTATO PANCAKE.....just like the ladies at the German American Festival. I make these shredded ones for the most part but I prefer the ones where you GRIND the potatoes and onions. I use my KA grinder but the German ladies used one of those cast iron, screw-on-the-table-edge grinders. Now THOSE come out creamy on the inside and nice and crispy on the outside. To die for!

Laughed at the Chef June rebuke -- my last boss, who was married to a Jewish woman, had to correct my pronunciation of latkes, but I still claim to make them!

I have one of those cast-iron grinders -- I talked about it years ago, either here or on the CC forum -- that I use to make pepper jelly. It's a pain as I have nothing convenient to clamp it on and usually have some awful jury-rigged system with a bowl far away to capture the juice it produces as it grinds. But the woman who gave me my recipe for pepper jelly (the only recipe I don't give out as she made me promise not to share it prior to giving it to me!) insisted that a grinder was the only way to grind my bell peppers and jalapenos. She was amazed the first time I made pepper jelly, as it came out great. I think that indicated I wasn't the first person she gave the recipe to, as she was shocked mine came out great on the first try. I think about making it all the time (it's that good) but the thought of dragging out Mama's grinder to deal with usually stops me!

I'm going to have to try soon, as Brian would flip out, as he loves that pepper jelly. If I do drag it out, I'm going to have to keep it out to try making latkes using it, too! He loves those puppies.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle, the KitchenAid grinder/shredder attachment was pricey (aren't they ALL??) but I've used it a lot. It does a nice job and isn't all that awful to clean up ~ just a few swishes in a sink full of soapy water. When I grind anything with it I drape an old linen towel over the top and the receiving bowl to keep from the splatter mess ~ looks like I'm trying to hide what I'm making.

DD#1 took my old grinder, although I don't know why. She'll never use it ~ LOL. But I think it's the sentimental factor. I can remember it getting clamped down on the edge of the kitchen table with a small piece of wood under the clamp, top & bottom. All the excess juice would drip down and have to be caught in a bowl set on a chair under the darn thing.....oh, what a mess!

I remember most making 'end of summer' relish with my grandma. Man, that was some good stuff! But we just don't eat that stuff any more, I guess meals have changed over time.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:DD#1 took my old grinder, although I don't know why.  She'll never use it ~ LOL.  But I think it's the sentimental factor.  I can remember it getting clamped down on the edge of the kitchen table with a small piece of wood under the clamp, top & bottom.  All the excess juice would drip down and have to be caught in a bowl set on a chair under the darn thing.....oh, what a mess!

Yep, that sounds terribly familiar, Beth, except my bowl was usually on the FLOOR to catch the drips. A double mess. My mom was a nurse in the Army Nurse Corps in WWII and brought that grinder with her -- she was incorrectly told that the meat she would encounter was so tough that it had to be ground! Natch, she never used it over there (in North Africa and Italy). I still have the original box, which is crumbling, which still has the price tag on it (under $2.00 though made of cast iron). It even has "Montgomery Ward" embossed in the cast iron!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:DD#1 took my old grinder, although I don't know why.  She'll never use it ~ LOL.  But I think it's the sentimental factor.  I can remember it getting clamped down on the edge of the kitchen table with a small piece of wood under the clamp, top & bottom.  All the excess juice would drip down and have to be caught in a bowl set on a chair under the darn thing.....oh, what a mess!

Yep, that sounds terribly familiar, Beth, except my bowl was usually on the FLOOR to catch the drips.  A double mess.  My mom was a nurse in the Army Nurse Corps in WWII and brought that grinder with her -- she was incorrectly told that the meat she would encounter was so tough that it had to be ground!  Natch, she never used it over there (in North Africa and Italy).  I still have the original box, which is crumbling, which still has the price tag on it (under $2.00 though made of cast iron).  It even has "Montgomery Ward" embossed in the cast iron!  

That's great to hear that your mom was an Army Nurse. That is something to be proud of. My dads sister ( my aunt Kay ) was an Army nurse overseas in WWII .....
Retired as a Captain after 30 years, and continued in nursing after the Army.Aunt Kay always said, the nurses knew more than the Dr's when it came to care for the boys that were injured. It was the nurses care that kept them alive and back to good health as much as possible.

My hand crank meat grinder has "PORKER" embossed on the side!

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

This morning I had a homemade granola bar and a bottle of Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Beth your potato pancakes look so delicious!

bethk

bethk
Admin

1DomesticGoddess wrote:Beth your potato pancakes look so delicious!

Thanks....they're nothing more than grated potato & onion (moisture all squeezed out in a linen towel) a Tbsp. or so of flour (depending on how much you have) and a couple eggs. Mix it up, spoonfuls dropped in enough oil to coat the bottom of a cast iron skillet.....flattened out to cook evenly. Turn when golden brown ~ drain on paper towels to get rid of the excess oil. I do not add salt until AFTER they are cooked because it just pulls more moisture out of the potato/onion and then they don't crisp up as well as I like.

I reheat leftovers in my toaster oven on a rack.

But they are NOT latkes.....especially when you serve them with Johnsonville brats! Hahahahahaha

Bugster2

Bugster2

There is a new restaurant in town that only serves breakfast. It is called SNOOZE. I was looking at their menu and saw that they have unusual breakfast items: pineapple upside down pancakes, French toast made with banana bread and stuffed with mascarpone cheese. They also had eggs benedict with a smoked cheddar hollandaise. Anyone ever taste a hollandaise with cheese?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:There is a new restaurant in town that only serves breakfast. It is called SNOOZE. I was looking at their menu and saw that they have unusual breakfast items: pineapple upside down pancakes, French toast made with banana bread and stuffed with mascarpone cheese. They also had eggs benedict with a smoked cheddar hollandaise. Anyone ever taste a hollandaise with cheese?

IF it has cheese it is NOT hollandaise sauce ~ it's CHEESE SAUCE !

As someone who does NOT like cheese, nothing makes me more angry than to see Eggs Benedict on the menu and then have it served with cheese sauce, especially when stated it is hollandaise. I send it back. Well, that's because it gags me and they don't give me much of a hard time when they see I've spit it all into my napkin and I'm still gagging.

But I have had banana bread French toast ~ it's like dessert. Good stuff if you like sweet.

My favorite is Brioche French Toast ~ eggy bread with eggy custard.....YUM!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth wrote:IF it has cheese it is NOT hollandaise sauce ~ it's CHEESE SAUCE !

As someone who does NOT like cheese, nothing makes me more angry than to see Eggs Benedict on the menu and then have it served with cheese sauce, especially when stated it is hollandaise. I send it back. Well, that's because it gags me and they don't give me much of a hard time when they see I've spit it all into my napkin and I'm still gagging.

So you don't like cheese, right? AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? 911454047 Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But I will say, at least that restaurant mentioned cheese in its description, even though hollandaise doesn't have cheese. Hollandaise is one of those sauces that you just KNOW not to order in some places. Like ordering something with a "cream sauce" in an inexpensive, "neighborhoody" type place -- it's not going to be the cream sauce Jacque Pepin makes! BTW, I make my hollandaise in the blender -- it's foolproof and quick so I can make it right before it's needed and not have to hold it. Kind of a crime, I guess, but you'd never know it unless you were in the kitchen with me that it was blender made....

bethk

bethk
Admin

As long as it's eggs and butter and a bit of lemon juice, I don't care if you make it in a cement mixer.....just don't put any CHEESE in it and try to convince me it's hollandaise!

Hahahahahahaha!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Crybaby wrote:
Beth wrote:IF it has cheese it is NOT hollandaise sauce ~ it's CHEESE SAUCE !

So you don't like cheese, right?  AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? 911454047   Sorry, I couldn't resist.

But I will say, at least that restaurant mentioned cheese in its description, even though hollandaise doesn't have cheese.  Hollandaise is one of those sauces that you just KNOW not to order in some places.  Like ordering something with a "cream sauce" in an inexpensive, "neighborhoody" type place -- it's not going to be the cream sauce Jacque Pepin makes!  BTW, I make my hollandaise in the blender -- it's foolproof and quick so I can make it right before it's needed and not have to hold it.  Kind of a crime, I guess, but you'd never know it unless you were in the kitchen with me that it was blender made....

I make mine in a blender too with Egg Beaters just to be on the safe side. Tastes wonderful.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

I had Chocolate Chip EGGO Waffles, a glass of Sunny-D, and Coffee with Caramel Macchiato Coffee Creamer.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

I just had a cup of Dunkin Donuts Chocolate Glazed Coffee, with Coffee-Mate's Creamy Chocolate Coffee Creamer.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

Breakfast actually became lunch, and I had...

A Fried Peanut Butter & Jam Sandwich

A cup of Sunny-D

And a bottle of Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino Coffee

bethk

bethk
Admin

Chef's Salad for my lunch:

AUGUST 2016...BREAKFAST / LUNCH / BRUNCH ?? IMG_20160823_121416026_HDR

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Chef's Salad for my lunch

Another beautiful salad, Beth! Made my mouth water.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thanks! I was stuffed.

1DomesticGoddess

1DomesticGoddess

For breakfast I had...

A bowl of Kellogg's Frosted Blueberry Mini Wheats

A glass of SunnyD

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next