Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!!

+5
NormM
UNCLE JIMMY
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 20]

bethk

bethk
Admin

I actually got a supper suggestion out of Mr. Amazing today! I just could not come up with anything that sounded good to me, so, if I couldn't get excited about anything I figured he might as well be happy (for a change).

I've been trying to empty old items out of the freezer, bit by bit. I had intended to have some hash browns (OreIda frozen). But I got them going in the CI skillet and all of a sudden I could smell BLACK.....BURNING......yuck! I walked the pan outside (smoke was starting to form) and let it cool down on a metal rack. I guess the shredded potatoes were a bit freezer burned and dried out. Oh well, we didn't need any additional carbs anyway! At least the bag is out of the freezer!

I did manage to salvage a small container of creamed corn from (OMG, can it be that long???) LAST AUGUST. Actually, it held up well.

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 IMG_20160504_171843527

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I actually got a supper suggestion out of Mr. Amazing today!  I just could not come up with anything that sounded good to me, so, if I couldn't get excited about anything I figured he might as well be happy (for a change).  

I've been trying to empty old items out of the freezer, bit by bit.  I had intended to have some hash browns (OreIda frozen).  But I got them going in the CI skillet and all of a sudden I could smell BLACK.....BURNING......yuck!  I walked the pan outside (smoke was starting to form) and let it cool down on a metal rack.  I guess the shredded potatoes were a bit freezer burned and dried out.  Oh well, we didn't need any additional carbs anyway!  At least the bag is out of the freezer!

I did manage to salvage a small container of creamed corn from (OMG, can it be that long???) LAST AUGUST.  Actually, it held up well.  

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 IMG_20160504_171843527

Surely does look good. Two burgers for me, and minus the veggies would suffice for me! LOL... Uhhh? Who's Brand Pickle chips are they?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper is ( close your eye's~ what do you see? )....N O T H I N G ... N A D A ... Z E R O !

Tina was supposed to make egg plant Parm...but ??????

She's involved making a huge amount of stuffed cabbages for us and her Brother.

And , brother....she is in a pixxy mood for sure!!!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Aw, Poor Jimmy......starving away............POOF!

Why haven't you snuck a handful of the cabbage filling and browned it up in a skillet? A bit of tomato sauce and it's the perfect supper. If you get caught, you could always say you are 'testing' it for seasoning.......

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am making scrambled eggs because I don't know what to cook. Joe's doctor put him on a low sodium diet and I don't know what to feed him. Then he has to reduce his intake of meats, poultry and fish and some other things that can produce kidney stones. I am going to go to the store and see if I can find low sodium foods like tomato sauce. I don't know what to do about mayo. Never seen a low sodium brand.

NormM

NormM

Approx. 1 1/4 cup of homemade mayo only has about 1/2 tsp. of salt.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Niagara Visitor

Niagara Visitor wrote:Fisherman son is going 'up north' to uncle's place to do two things.............. Check out if the fish are biting, and to help uncle with some yardwork.  (Uncle is 83 and needs to sell his place.)  So, I made potato salad to go along with hopefully the fish he'll catch.  Then I realized that I had bought two heads of cauliflower............. what to do with that?  I chopped one head up relatively finely, added some red pepper chunks, some radishes, lots of fresh parsley, and a can of corn.  Made a dressing using some EVOO, a really great fig infused balsamic reduction, salt/pepper and some herbes de provence.  It is really good, and will probably be made more often.  The cauliflower is a nice change as a salad.

I'm actually quoting my own post here. Just got a text from fisherman son, my cauliflower salad is a resounding success! Danny (my son) took along one of his wife's young nephews, and there is another man there, so of the 4 of them, three said the salad is great, son is sort of so-so about it. Fish weren't biting yet, so they grilled sausages.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I am making scrambled eggs because I don't know what to cook. Joe's doctor put him on a low sodium diet and I don't know what to feed him. Then he has to reduce his intake of meats, poultry and fish and some other things that can produce kidney stones. I am going to go to the store and see if I can find low sodium foods like tomato sauce. I don't know what to do about mayo. Never seen a low sodium brand.

Right here bugs... Start Joe on this. He has to be faithful about taking this though.

http://homeremediesforlife.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-kidney-stones/

59May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Wed May 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Jimmy but I am not sure either one of us could drink that without gagging.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks Jimmy but I am not sure either one of us could drink that without gagging.
You gotta mask it. I use orange juice 4oz's to 2 tbs. of the vinegar. Apple Cider only.
Believe it or not, it helps when I have a really acid stomach.
Raw Apple cider vinegar, is the only vinegar that is Alkaline producing in the stomach.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Aw, Poor Jimmy......starving away............POOF!

Why haven't you snuck a handful of the cabbage filling and browned it up in a skillet?  A bit of tomato sauce and it's the perfect supper.  If you get caught, you could always say you are 'testing' it for seasoning.......

LOL.... Tina has the 9.5 Qt. huge oval Le Cruesomthing pot filled with Halupki. ( stuffed cabbages )
I just took one out from the side, and it flipped off the fork, and plopped on the floor! affraid ... OMG...I scooped it and threw it on a paper plate. The meat filling blew out of the cabbage leaf, but you know what? I ate it. It fell where we dont stand or walk, and Rosa was here yesterday and scrubbed the floor.
It happened because I didn't want to dirty the big serving spoon to grab it out!
So, kissed it up to God, and enjoyed every delicious morsel of it. Laughing

Bugster2

Bugster2

You are very fortunate Jimmy. We have 5 Persian cats that shed like the devil. No matter how much I clean there is always fur, everywhere. If I had dropped that roll and picked it up it would be like eating a fur ball. Liberally coated with long cat hair. Sounds nice doesn't? When it was just our two cats things weren't so bad but with the addition of Katie's three, it is bad. They sleep on the table and the butcher block and leave fur. I have fur dust bunnies. Mornings I find "fur-ensics" on the stove in the form of cat paw prints and fur. What is worse is that I have to clean it. Neither Katie nor Joe ever clean the fur. I have taken a "what the hell" attitude and let them eat it.

63May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Thu May 05, 2016 12:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:You are very fortunate Jimmy. We have 5 Persian cats that shed like the devil. No matter how much I clean there is always fur, everywhere. If I had dropped that roll and picked it up it would be like eating a fur ball. Liberally coated with long cat hair. Sounds nice doesn't? When it was just our two cats things weren't so bad but with the addition of Katie's three, it is bad. They sleep on the table and the butcher block and leave fur. I have fur dust bunnies. Mornings I find "fur-ensics" on the stove in the form of cat paw prints and fur. What is worse is that I have to clean it. Neither Katie nor Joe ever clean the fur. I have taken a "what the hell" attitude and let them eat it.

The only good thing, is there is only one cat that hangs in the kitchen. We have a bay window she sleeps on watching the birds. The other two sleep (thats all they do) in weird places.
Still though, like you said, there is always fur. It's a pain because every time we prep and cook, we have to wipe down the counter on the island. They are short hair too!

64May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Thu May 05, 2016 12:50 pm

NormM

NormM

We have two cats but I have never seen them even try to jump on the counter where we prepare food. I still wipe it down before and after cooking.

65May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Empty Re: May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! Thu May 05, 2016 12:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

And that is why I no longer have ANY pets. Lawdy, between the two of us, there is enough dropped hairs to gag anyone.....just not that often in my kitchen.

But even when we had a cat, he did not (in my sight) EVER get on my counters, kitchen table or chairs, nor did I ever find evidence of him being there.....no 'lick marks' in the butter or paw prints. That would drive me nuts if it were me. I'd resort to duct taping the offending animal to a post outside! (not really)

NormM

NormM

One of our cats is OK on the dinner table because she is able to contribute to the conversation.

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:One of our cats is OK on the dinner table because she is able to contribute to the conversation.

What cat-agories is she proficient in?

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have two pots of chicken stock going on the stove today. It was 'cool' this morning so I thought it was the perfect opportunity to get some stock made since my freezer supply is gone. I have a zip bag in my kitchen refrigerator freezer that I stash the bones, necks, extra parts, etc. when I cut up a chicken. I thought it was full....but it didn't have much in it at all. Geeze, my mind must be playing tricks on me. But, hey, there was enough to make a nice pot of stock without overfilling and having it bubble all over the stovetop. When Dane saw what I was doing he mentioned he had used a couple backs and a chicken neck out of the bag to make himself chicken soup. He said it tastes better than the boxed stock when he wants soup.....plus, there is just enough meat left on the bones to make his soup better.

Who'd ever a-thunk HE would make soup when I wasn't around? Guess he's been paying attention for the last 48 years!

The second pot has a whole chicken poaching in a box of stock....for extra rich broth. I want to make the Chicken Pho I saw on 'My Man Jacques' last weekend. I went to the local farmers' market this morning and they had some beautiful baby bok choy and bean sprouts.....just the right stuff for that soup. I have some little Thai bird chiles growing to add that special spicy taste.....

But tonight I'm thinking supper will be a nice chicken salad ~ gonna use the boneless breast from the chicken I'm poaching (I cut it off before I put the rest in to poach). It should make Dane a happy camper. I even have the last of my farro cooking to add to the salad for additional protein. He liked it the last time, we'll see if he notices this time.

Bugster2

Bugster2

My 2 cats never jump on the counter. Katie's - yes. Every night at dinner I take a can of spray air and spray the table top to make sure any fur left there ends up elsewhere rather than my mouth.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Tonight's supper came right off the cover of the May, 2016 Cooking Light Magazine.....well, I guess I should say I made the recipe for the Strawberry-Chicken Salad they featured. And, it's a KEEPER! A bed of baby spinach (I subbed in some romaine because we like the mix), farro, onion (I didn't have red, subbed a vidalia soaked in ice water), strawberries & toasted pecans.....topped with a lightly sauted chicken breast seasoned with s&p and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. The dressing was evoo, white basalmic vinegar, honey, fresh thyme, s&p. Good Stuff, Maynard!

His salad was suppose to get some crumbled feta.....but I forgot ~ and so did he. LOL

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 IMG_20160505_172622710_HDR

Bugster2

Bugster2

Refresh my pea brain: who is Maynard?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Refresh my pea brain: who is Maynard?

Maynard G. Krebs......Dobie Gillis......circa 1965 (?)

Barbara101

Barbara101

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Mex%20peppers

Mexican stuffed peppers

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Mex%20peppers2

May, 2016 ~ Spring Dinners We Sprung!!! - Page 3 Mex%20peppers3

bethk

bethk
Admin

Like a Spanish Rice with black beans?

I figure I could always drop the cheese (a given) and sub parsley for what looks like cilantro.....

Oh, heck, I'll just make up my OWN recipe! LOL

It looks really good. And I've got some mini red cubanelle peppers in the fridge I bought with the plan to stuff them. Good thing you reminded me of it. Thanks!

Barbara101

Barbara101

Mexican Style Stuffed Peppers:

4 red bell peppers, tops cut off and inside ribs and seeds removed
2 cups of cooked rice
1 small can of Fire Roasted tomatoes w/ chilis
1 small can of black beans, rinsed & drained
handful of chopped  parsley
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp cumin
olive oil
salt & pepper
2-3 cups of Mexican blend cheese (cheddar & Monterey Jack)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 20]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum