Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

November............ what's for dinner?

+4
Barbara101
bethk
NormM
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 19]

251November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 940422454 November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 3593629538  I have not bought or made a white potato in a very long time..Sweet P will have to do for me lol...But I do know what you mean..

252November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Yeah, they really hit the spot tonight. But Dane is still trying to cut his carbs (says he still wants to drop 7 or 8 more pounds). So, I got my fill tonight with my one serving and I won't have them again on my table for probably 3 - 4 weeks. Of course, Thanksgiving comes BEFORE that so I know they will be on Lyn's table when we cook & eat at HER house. LOL

253November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:59 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

I had a bowl of the butternut soup I made..So good..

254November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:11 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I admire you Barb for cooking for just one. If I was alone I think I would go out and buy one good dinner. It would last all week for me. I think it would be cheaper for me in the long run.

255November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:Yeah! ... I could cook, and I have made stuffed cabbages before, but I didn't add enough water to the meat filling, and they were not soft, and were too tight.

I do not add water.What ? lol

Yeah! that's what I said!!!.... Water????

The trick to stuffed cabbage so they don't get tough and hard, is to add enough water to the meat filling, but not so it floats, but just enough so the inside of the rolled cabbages will steam the meat as they cook. It does make a difference!
When they are done, they are not mush, and not heavy and tough.
Tip handed down from Tina's GG gram, and G and gram. to mother and then to Tina.

I could explain it this way. Add enough water to the filling, till a ball of meat filling about 2 inches round, immediately starts to flatten as it is held in the open hand, and loses the round shape!! LOL

256November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:00 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:I admire you Barb for cooking for just one. If I was alone I think I would go out and buy one good dinner. It would last all week for me. I think it would be cheaper for me in the long run.

Thanks Bugs...

I enjoy cooking always have so I would rather spend the money on food and then cook it to suit me lol..I have in the past had great meals in a GOOD restaurants but when I leave with 'gosh I paid for that food' I could made it at home for less money and it would have been great..I just do not go..

I absolutely hate chains and fast food.Crap high carb. high calorie ..high salt.high sugar and chemicals..

I will not go down that road again that goes against my health.diabetes is not something to mess with.Eat the right food and you will be safe.Eat the wrong foods you will regret it..I figure I want my last years to be issue free as it can be..

257November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yeah! that's what I said!!!.... Water????

The trick to stuffed cabbage so they don't get tough and hard, is to add enough water to the meat filling, but not so it floats, but just enough so the inside of the rolled cabbages will steam the meat as they cook. It does make a difference!
When they are done, they are not mush, and not heavy and tough.
Tip handed down from Tina's GG gram, and G and gram. to mother and then to Tina.

I could explain it this way. Add enough water to the filling, till a ball of meat filling about 2 inches round, immediately starts to flatten as it is held in the open hand, and loses the round shape!! LOL
[/quote]

Jimmy, I have never heard of adding water to the meat mixture....My mom used to par cook the rice before she added it to the meat/onion mixture. She also slightly carmelized the onions and added some dehydrated onions which where reconstituted in water. I think that all added moisture to the stuffed cabbage. It is a family recipe.

My mom also had a 'certain' way to mix all of it in with the beef, so that it would not clump....

lots of tips in her recipe..

258November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:47 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have never eaten nor made cabbage rolls. OOPS! I lied. I had a sample of cabbage rolls at Costco. 1 1/2 hours later I was dealing with cramps and 'rhea. They poisoned me at Costco. LOL. I was so surprised. With about 1 teaspoon of roll. Doesn't take much does it? Anyway, I had no idea there was a "technique" to making them. One of these days I will give them a try.

259November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Bugster2 wrote:I have never eaten nor made cabbage rolls. OOPS! I lied. I had a sample of cabbage rolls at Costco. 1 1/2 hours later I was dealing with cramps and 'rhea. They poisoned me at Costco. LOL. I was so surprised. With about 1 teaspoon of roll. Doesn't take much does it? Anyway, I had no idea there was a "technique" to making them. One of these days I will give them a try.
  The hardest thing about making them is dealing with the whole head of cabbage.

The meat is just gd beef salt/pepper and cooked rice..

lay out the leaf of cabbage and put small amount of filling and roll up. Then a tomato sauce over them and bake..

260November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I admire you Barb for cooking for just one. If I was alone I think I would go out and buy one good dinner. It would last all week for me. I think it would be cheaper for me in the long run.

Thanks Bugs...

I enjoy cooking always have so I would rather spend the money on food and then cook it to suit me lol..I have in the past had great meals in a GOOD restaurants but when I leave with 'gosh I paid for that food' I could made it at home for less money and it would have been great..I just do not go..

I absolutely hate chains and fast food.Crap high carb. high calorie ..high salt.high sugar and chemicals..

I will not go down that road again that goes against my health.diabetes is not something to mess with.Eat the right food and you will be safe.Eat the wrong foods you will regret it..I figure I want my last years to be issue free as it can be..

I have a cousin Barb, that her husband is a severe diabetic and is only 52. She is 65. .....
Anyway, he denied he became a type 2 ...ok? ... He was 287 lbs at 5'-8".
That's all he ate was fast food. A typical time, he would eat 3 whoppers, a tall milk shake, and then two or three doughnuts from Dunkin D.
He said he felt better when his bg was 350 / 380. He would eat a whole loaf of bread in a day. He was hospitalized 4 or 5 times when he passed out.

Now, he weighs 210. But it is from being in ill health. He had cysts on his Pancreas, and had drains put in. Finally they shrunk the cyst the size of a grapefruit, and they had to remove the drains because he got sepsis. Then he got cellulitis.

Right now, he feels horrible. If I'm right, I believe the Pancreas controls the sugar?

261November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:02 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 547410_10151635066065774_584254968_n
     old photo

262November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:03 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Barbara101 wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:I have never eaten nor made cabbage rolls. OOPS! I lied. I had a sample of cabbage rolls at Costco. 1 1/2 hours later I was dealing with cramps and 'rhea. They poisoned me at Costco. LOL. I was so surprised. With about 1 teaspoon of roll. Doesn't take much does it? Anyway, I had no idea there was a "technique" to making them. One of these days I will give them a try.
  The hardest thing about making them is dealing with the whole head of cabbage.

The meat is just gd beef salt/pepper and cooked rice..

lay out the leaf of cabbage and put small amount of filling and roll up. Then a tomato sauce over them and bake..

Is it a seasoned tomato sauce? Any seasonings in the meat mix?

263November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
Barbara101 wrote:

Thanks Bugs...

I have a cousin Barb, that her husband is a severe diabetic and is only 52. She is 65. .....
Anyway, he denied he became a type 2 ...ok? ... He was 287 lbs at 5'-8".
That's all he ate was fast food. A typical time, he would eat 3 whoppers, a tall milk shake, and then two or three doughnuts from Dunkin D.
He said he felt better when his bg was 350 / 380. He would eat a whole loaf of bread in a day. He was hospitalized 4 or 5 times when he passed out.

Now, he weighs 210. But it is from being in ill health. He had cysts on his Pancreas, and had drains put in. Finally they shrunk the cyst the size of a grapefruit, and they had to remove the drains because he got sepsis. Then he got cellulitis.

Right now, he feels horrible. If I'm right, I believe the Pancreas controls the sugar?

My BIL's mother was the same way. She refused to take care of her diabetes and ate donuts all of the time. It finally got to the point where the nerve damage was so bad she couldn't walk and she ended up in the hospital and died.
It is funny because her husband was the same way: a round butterball that ate crap. I thought his diabetes would kill him too but he lived into his 80's and finally got kidney cancer from chemical exposure from his tool business.

264November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:12 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 6922213525_b38b3e8f0d

265November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:14 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

All I eat is crap too. I do eat the meals I prepare for DH and Roomie but I eat a lot of peanut butter and chocolate. What is funny is that it really is a very small amount compared to what most people consume. I eat it when I can't eat anything else. A large meal for me would be a little less than 1/4 of an egg mcmuffin and I will feel sick and bloated for the next 8 hours. I don't know what would happen If I got diabetes. It would probably kill me. There is no history of it in the family so maybe I will avoid the disease.

266November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:39 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

There is no history of it in the family so maybe I will avoid the disease.

I had no idea it runs rampant on my dads side.He did not have it but almost every one did. His mother and sisters,family of 7 kids,and their kids..

So I guess it was passed right to me..Lord only knows how long I even had it. I had no symptoms.
had to have urine test and then was DX..

267November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:25 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina uses all ground pork / minced onions, salt & pepper for her filling.
No egg..... a little rice to hold as a binder. Like a scant hand full. Precooks that rice.
Steams the cabbage, fills with the pork / rice filling, folds, and in a pot with cabbage on bottom.
Pours over with plain Tomato sauce, or canned tomatoes, or crushed, a little salt, and either on the stovetop on low for several hours, or in the oven.
I love the dark green leaves cabbage. They are mine! LOL

She's at her Dr's now, and soon as she gets home, she will make some for tonight, and freeze a lot uncooked for future meals.

268November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:40 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:All I eat is crap too. I do eat the meals I prepare for DH and Roomie but I eat a lot of peanut butter and chocolate. What is funny is that it really is a very small amount compared to what most people consume. I eat it when I can't eat anything else. A large meal for me would be a little less than 1/4 of an egg mcmuffin and I will feel sick and bloated for the next 8 hours. I don't know what would happen If I got diabetes. It would probably kill me. There is no history of it in the family so maybe I will avoid the disease.

Tina is the same way bugster. She will take two bites, and she is full. If she eats any more, it causes pain, and she gets sick and throws it up. She can't eat beef; only pork or ham, and a little fish.
She is not one to take out to eat, and a smorgasbord ....forget it!

All above due to Bariatric bypass surgery in 2000. Yet, sweets.....no problem keeping that down; as long as not too much.

269November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs - I use a recipe based on Tyler Florence's Galumpis....(sp?)

The tomato sauce I use (traditional to the area I grew up) is a sweet/sour tomato sauce with vinegar & brown sugar.

No supper tonight. First 'patio party' of the season is scheduled for this evening. I'm going to make a dish of Little Smokeys wrapped in Bacon & then Glazed w/Brown Sugar......Always a hit! LOL

270November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:01 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth. I am looking forward to making them.

271November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:07 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

82` today......fans and air on........ November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 2855670339 November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 1562938848

272November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:24 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Here they are....

In the freezer on a cookie sheet ( about 13 )
and 11 / 12 in the pot, and baking in the oven covered at 375 degrees for tonight. The sauce was on top after I took the pics. Couldn't see the piggy's with the sauce on anyway.

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 99nViE

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 XYhqXc

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 ICJLn9

November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 MZhMnw

Last edited by UNCLE JIMMY on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

273November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

brand of red dutch oven??

274November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

YUM! Makes me want to do the same.....

One of these times I'm gonna use Napa Cabbage for ease in rolling. It's so much thinner and easier to deal with.

275November............ what's for dinner? - Page 11 Empty Re: November............ what's for dinner? Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:34 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:YUM!  Makes me want to do the same.....

One of these times I'm gonna use Napa Cabbage for ease in rolling.  It's so much thinner and easier to deal with.

I made them with napa..Really good.

Last edited by Barbara101 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum