Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper?

+4
NormM
Bugster2
Barbara101
bethk
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 21]

276August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:29 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

the only thing missing from Norms dinner....cornbread lol

Jimmy you can get breaded okra in frozen bag..Not as  good as fresh fried tho..

277August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:35 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Guess being in the south it is in every store. What I do not see is baby boc choy,certain onions and mushrooms and bunch of other things I want.I just saw hatch chili for the first time. Store I like to shop in has them now.They also carry real honest to good sourdough bread from San Fran..

278August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:03 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I also saw Hatch chiles at the local Fresh Market.....but they were too expensive for me to try. Can't bring myself to pay over $5/lb. for a chile. Kind of like I won't spend the price they ask at any grocery store for chicken wings. If they sold for the $.99/lb. they did a few years ago....OK. But I refuse to pay what they're asking for bones.

Barb, I usually get my baby bok choy at the local Farmers' Market. Homegrown and really good. I also pick up shitake mushrooms (yum!) and other varieties at Fresh Market. The price per lb. is high but the bulk are dry and don't weigh much when you get to the check out. Affordable, to be sure.

279August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Dinner tonight was chicken breasts in a cream sauce, green beans, okra, salad and rice.  Charlie put some okra in his salad. I guess they were a substitute for croutons.

Norm, thanks for posting the recipe for the beans. Did they taste like the beans you get at carry-out Chinese food places? I've been trying to replicate them but never seem to get it right. I think what I was missing was the sherry. I'm definately going to give these a try next time I find some nice tender fresh ones. Thanks!

280August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:31 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

$1.29 for the hatch here. No Fresh Market..

281August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:58 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

Okra is everywhere around here. You absolutely must fry it in some type of coating because it is so slimy. My mother used to eat it all the time fried in cornmeal. I can't remember exactly but something similar to what you would fry green tomatoes in.

This is hatch chile month out here this weekend there are several stores around here that set up a roasting rig and roast the chiles right there in front of you. The smell is wonderful and potent at the same time. Cheap too.

282August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:40 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No fresh market places by us here....
Just the farms, and they only have what they grow at the stands. Not much choice except for onions potatoes, corn, beans, and tomatoes. LOL
Some other things too, but not the exotics like hatch chili's or the such.

There is an oriental market in Parsippany, NJ ....about 40 minute drive east of here, and they have all that stuff you don't find in supermarkets. Tina gets the ground pork there. It is beautiful good cuts, and fresh because it moves fast.

283August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 am

NormM

NormM

I don't know what the green beans at carry out places taste like. I don't think I have seen any around here.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

284August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I don't know what the green beans at carry out places taste like. I don't think I have seen any around here.

The thing with beans, is first pick, they are delicious, then second and third pick, they start to lose flavor and are tougher.

I love the Italian style green beans. They are a wide thick bean. The beans inside are big too! .... Hard to find.

285August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:51 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I think the only place to get the flat Italian style green beans is in cans or frozen.  I swear, they are only grown for processing.  I've never seen them fresh, either.

For supper tonight I'm making the same as Norm made last night....with a couple switch-outs for our tastes.  His meal looked so good to me and I had virtually everything here....so I'm making a couple chicken cutlets with a PARSLEY cream sauce (instead of cilantro) and Asian green beans with SHALLOTS (instead of garlic).  I had some leftover rice in the refrigerator so that will just be warmed up in the microwave.  I'm skipping the okra (we don't care for it no matter how many different ways I've tried to make it) and skipping the salad because it'll be too much for us to eat.  I had a salad last night and, quite honestly, neither of us was able to eat the entire meal because it was too much food for us.

It's strange that our appetites are getting smaller and smaller and yet neither of us is losing any weight.  Doesn't seem fair somehow.

Norm ~ Dane says, "It's a 'keeper' !" And the beans ARE like the ones from the Chinese Carry-Out! The dry sherry was my missing ingredient. Thanks so much for posting the recipes.

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 08.20.15%20a

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 08.20.15%20b

286August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:25 pm

Niagara Visitor

I've been out searching the grocery stores for chanterelle mushrooms.  I found them once last year in late August.  They are the BEST.  Are they available in the US?  In Canada they are in season now on the east coast, my friend in Nova Scotia has them on her property on Cape Breton.  

Bought some Shiitake instead, I'll see if they are almost as good as the chanterelles which are common in the forests in the southern part of Germany also.  I have a small steak to make in my grill pan, the shiitake will go well with that!

287August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:26 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 11863374_10200653479977356_583468236962871856_n

Grilled chicken breast,made tacos with peach cole slaw..

Beth dinner is  August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 4137497845

288August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:27 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

good looking taco....what kind of dressing did you use for the slaw? mayo based?

289August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

yes.mayo,sour cream chipotle,salt pepper.then I added a peach..I have made this before, I used mayo,peach yogurt vinegar salt pepper.

Last edited by Barbara101 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

290August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

that slaw looks really good. I just happen to have some peaches.....hmmmm

oh, crap. no cabbage. bet it would be good with napa cabbage.

But tomorrow I'm taking my friend, Barb, up to Gainesville (a little over an hour north....) for a Dr. appt. at Shand's Hospital. I don't even know if I'll be cooking supper. We plan to go to stroll around the Trader Joe's while we're on the same street it's located. Exciting!

291August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:59 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Every ones food is making me hungry. Gabe is havin a steakum and cheese on toast.
I may just have a liverwurst on rye, with mayo and sliced onions.

Maybe, a burger with fried onions. That means going downstairs to the freezer. Down is ok. It's the up I don't like!

292August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:11 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, I think the only place to get the flat Italian style green beans is in cans or frozen.  I swear, they are only grown for processing.  I've never seen them fresh, either.

It's strange that our appetites are getting smaller and smaller and yet neither of us is losing any weight.  Doesn't seem fair somehow.

I sat here, a few months ago, and figured it out.
The problem for me anyway, is no excercise.
Ride here and sit there is the norm now! Plus I am home close to the food, and eating on time the three meals a day. No rushing, and just too relaxed.
Metabolism is L O W!

293August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I'm now doing an hour of aerobic/streching water exercise twice a week....cut back on lots of what we use to eat, even cut back on drinking affraid affraid but still can't drop any weight. I've got a check up scheduled in a couple of weeks. I'm hoping it's something stupid like my thyroid isn't doing what it's suppose to and my metabolism is in need of a jolt. We'll see. Doc will probably advise me to get rid of my left leg if I want to lose 30 pounds. I don't use it all that much anyway.....

294August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:37 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Niagara Visitor wrote:I've been out searching the grocery stores for chanterelle mushrooms.  I found them once last year in late August.  They are the BEST.  Are they available in the US?  In Canada they are in season now on the east coast, my friend in Nova Scotia has them on her property on Cape Breton.  

Bought some Shiitake instead, I'll see if they are almost as good as the chanterelles which are common in the forests in the southern part of Germany also.  I have a small steak to make in my grill pan, the shiitake will go well with that!

They are available in the U.S. at those high end gourmet grocers. They run about $40/lb. That sounds like a fortune, and it is, but if you buy just a few the cost isn't that high. I usually put them in a soup.

295August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:49 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:I'm now doing an hour of aerobic/streching water exercise twice a week....cut back on lots of what we use to eat, even cut back on drinking  affraid affraid but still can't drop any weight.  I've got a check up scheduled in a couple of weeks.  I'm hoping it's something stupid like my thyroid isn't doing what it's suppose to and my metabolism is in need of a jolt.  We'll see.  Doc will probably advise me to get rid of my left leg if I want to lose 30 pounds.  I don't use it all that much anyway.....

Have you tried Weight Watchers? My friends always have success with that but when they lose the weight they go back to their old eating habits and gain the weight back.
I used to work in a doctor's office and his specialty was weight loss. His patients were the morbidly obese. In order for them to lose weight they were on 1200/cal day diets. Most of them couldn't lose any weight because they preferred to eat over losing weight but if they actually stayed on the diet the weight would come off at about 1 to 3 pounds a week.

As we age we lose mitochondria in our cells which controls how much energy we burn. Fewer mitochondria means it gets harder and harder to burn off calories.

My BIL loses weight on the Slim Fast diet very easily but of course he is a man and they drop weight twice as fast as a woman.

296August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:17 pm

NormM

NormM

Dr. said I would lose weight if I started walking more, stop drinking and eat balanced meals. I did all that for 6 months and didn't lose an ounce. Not doing any of that now and have not gained an ounce. And I mean ounces because I have one of those Dr.s scales with the bar that you move the weights across. If I nudge it a little in one direction one week, it goes back the next.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

297August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:43 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:
Have you tried Weight Watchers? My friends always have success with that but when they lose the weight they go back to their old eating habits and gain the weight back.
I used to work in a doctor's office and his specialty was weight loss. His patients were the morbidly obese. In order for them to lose weight they were on 1200/cal day diets. Most of them couldn't lose any weight because they preferred to eat over losing weight but if they actually stayed on the diet the weight would come off at about 1 to 3 pounds a week.

As we age we lose mitochondria in our cells which controls how much energy we burn. Fewer mitochondria means it gets harder and harder to burn off calories.

My BIL loses weight on the Slim Fast diet very easily but of course he is a man and they drop weight twice as fast as a woman.

I know how WW works...but if I deprive myself of too much I'll either binge or just go off completely.  I think it's more my age and the combination of not sleeping as well as I use to, not having as much exercise as I did when I was younger, etc.  I still get in between 9,000 - 11,000 'steps' per day (according to fitbit) and I don't sit much at all.  I started going to the water exercise classes two or three times a week because I have difficulty walking on hard surfaces due to arthritis in my hips and knees. But, like I said, I don't sleep as well as I did and that has a lot to do with how I metabolize what I eat.  I've dropped so much of the sweets I use to eat - I still make it but I give it away so it's out of the house.

It is a little disturbing the way men can usually drop pounds as women have to be happy with ounces....that's really not fair.  But Mr. Amazing is struggling right now, too.  I attribute his problems dropping weight like he use to, to the fact that he has COPD and that really messes with the amount of exercise he's able to do.  

Neither of us is to the point of being morbidly obese, but we'd both like to drop some weight.  I'm still wearing the same clothes size (actually the same clothes since I hate to go shopping....LOL) but it would be nice to wear something a little smaller.

298August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:08 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I ate like over 5,000 calories just now.

A chicken salad on toast / 1/2 a pastrami on rye / not one, or two, but three Entenmann's fresh doughnuts with cinnamon and sugar . A cup of coffee with milk to lighten.

AND....... I have a corn dog on my mind for a snack.

Story..... Tina was in Sams Club, and the man was there giving samples of these corn dogs to eat.
30 seconds in the mico, and pooof! Perfect cooked dog to dip in mustard.
Well, here I am eating them, and went for another. Then Tina came out with the "T" word.
The darn things are made with beef / pork / and TURKEY.... bletch!.... uhgggg!

That's it.... no more for me. But Tina went to Walmart, and found the corn dogs (sme brand ) with.... A L L B E E F .... YAY! .... And that's the end of the story! Amen

299August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, I would bloat up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon if I ate all the donuts and sweets you're able to eat. My 'snack' is stuff like an apple. or a tomato with s&p. or some celery with cream cheese.

I use to be able to eat anything and everything.....but not any more.

300August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? - Page 12 Empty Re: August, 2105 ~ What's for Supper? Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:30 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
Bugster2 wrote:

I know how WW works...but if I deprive myself of too much I'll either binge or just go off completely.  I think it's more my age and the combination of not sleeping as well as I use to, not having as much exercise as I did when I was younger, etc.  I still get in between 9,000 - 11,000 'steps' per day (according to fitbit) and I don't sit much at all.  I started going to the water exercise classes two or three times a week because I have difficulty walking on hard surfaces due to arthritis in my hips and knees. But, like I said, I don't sleep as well as I did and that has a lot to do with how I metabolize what I eat.  I've dropped so much of the sweets I use to eat - I still make it but I give it away so it's out of the house.

It is a little disturbing the way men can usually drop pounds as women have to be happy with ounces....that's really not fair.  But Mr. Amazing is struggling right now, too.  I attribute his problems dropping weight like he use to, to the fact that he has COPD and that really messes with the amount of exercise he's able to do.  

Neither of us is to the point of being morbidly obese, but we'd both like to drop some weight.  I'm still wearing the same clothes size (actually the same clothes since I hate to go shopping....LOL) but it would be nice to wear something a little smaller.

Beth... my only weight problem, is my Belly Now! I don't walk that much....knees and arthritis. ... fluid some days too. Can't kneel even on knee pads.
That Preg looking belly, is tiresome when walking. I don't know how you poor girls can carry that baby around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 21]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 16 ... 21  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum