Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lamb recipes, please.

+2
bethk
Niagara Visitor
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Lamb recipes, please. Empty Lamb recipes, please. Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:19 pm

Niagara Visitor

My uncle raised several lambs, and brought me some meat. I have only ever made chops on the grill. What can I do with leg etc.? Very Happy 

2Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:45 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I, personally, do not care for lamb and don't cook it. But I do know a roast leg of lamb is one of the most loved meals to be made.

I'm sure Barb and Norm and others will come to your aid....sorry I'm of no use with this one....

3Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:17 pm

NormM

NormM

I have never made leg of lamb. it is rarely available here and when it is, it is too expensive. My friend with the castle always serves grilled skewered lamb cooked on the BBQ. I don't know what part of the lamb it comes from because he buys it from a butcher in South Dakota already cut thin, skewered and frozen.  It is called shashlik and is really good.  Here is a recipe I found on line but I think his is cut thinner and only has meat on the skewer.  http://mideastfood.about.com/od/kebabs/r/chickenshashlik.htm

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:18 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Lamb recipes, please. 1382174_10152015655408746_451463304_n

Last spring I grilled a whole leg.I mostly have it boned & butterflied & then stuff it ,tie it up then grill.Or I make it greek style with loads of spices & olives & marinade.I also make it with apricots & raisins,nuts,rolled & tied tight & roast with orange & apricot juice.

I happen to love love lamb...

5Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:02 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I happen to love love lamb...

I love lamb too but Brian, not so much. I haven't made a leg of lamb since I lived at home. No one in my family liked lamb except my father and I, so of course, he liked to have it often so he didn't have to share!

I used to poke holes in a bone-in leg and stuff the holes with minced garlic that I'd mixed with chopped fresh parsley and fresh rosemary. Then I would rub it with olive oil and salt and pepper it well; if I had any of the garlic mix left, I'd rub that on top prior to the salt and pepper. Back then, we used to serve mint jelly with it but I think that has fallen out of fashion.

Barbara, your photo looks fantastic!

6Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Thank you M...

7Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

In my family, lamb is the other white meat. I have a few recipes that I have to look up, but the best way to make a leg of lamb is to pierce the meat all around and take slivered whole garlic and stick them into the piercings. Then salt generously and pepper well. Rub the whole leg with oregano and rosemary. Roast in a 350 oven until done. I like it pink ish.

8Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:00 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Souvlakia
Lamb, beef or pork
1 C olive oil
1/3 C lemon juice
½ C red wine
Salt and pepper
Oregano
1-4 cloves garlic
1-3 bay leaves
Tomatoes quartered
Onions quartered
Green peppers cubed
Cut meat into 1 inch cubes.
Mix oil, lemon and wine and pour over meat
Sprinkle with salt and pepper, oregano and garlic. Add bay leaves and then add vegetables. Marinate overnight. Put on skewers and cook.

Yogurt Dip  Tzaziki sauce
1 clove garlic
2-3 walnuts
1tsp. olive oil
1 C yogurt
Salt and pepper
Diced cucumber
Dash vinegar

Mash garlic and walnuts in the olive oil. Add vinegar to yogurt. Add rest of ingredients and chill.

Last edited by jetfan27 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

9Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:01 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

Meatball Soup
My Yia Yia( Grandmother, in Greek) used to make this when I was a kid. It's easy and tastes great!
SERVINGS: 6
CATEGORY: Other
METHOD: Stove Top
TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
Ingredients:
• 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
• 1 medium onion grated
• 1/4 C raw rice
• mint finely chopped to taste
• salt and pepper
• 1/2 C parsley finely chopped
• 2 qts. or so meat or chicken stock or broth
• 1 egg
• EGG and LEMON SAUCE( avgolemino)
• 4 eggs
• Juice of 2 lemons
Directions:
Combine meat, rice, egg, onion, mint, salt and pepper.
  Make marble sized meatballs and roll in chopped parsley.
  Drop into simmering broth and cook until meat is done, about 35 minutes.
  To make egg and lemon sauce:
  Beat eggs well.
  Slowly beat in lemon juice.
  Temper sauce by slowly adding hot broth and stirring.
  Add all the sauce to the broth and stir for a minute or until slightly thickened.

Last edited by jetfan27 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

10Lamb recipes, please. Empty Re: Lamb recipes, please. Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:03 pm

jetfan27

jetfan27

MOUSSAKA
4 medium eggplants
salt
4 Tbs. butter
2 lbs. ground beef or lamb
3 large onions, chopped
2 Tbs. tomato paste
1/4 C chopped parsley
1/2 C red wine
salt and pepper
1/2 C water
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 egs beaten
1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
1/2 C bread crumbs
6 Tbs. butter
6 Tbs. flour
3 C hot milk
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 tsp nutmeg
4 yolks lightly beaten
Olive oil

FILLING
Remove 1/2 inch wide strips of peel lengthwise from egplants.
leave a 1/2 inchspace between peels.
cut into thick slices and sprinkle with salt.
Put eggplant between two heavy plates and let stand while browning the meat and making the sauce.
In frying pan, melt 4 Tbs. butter and saute meat and onioms until meat is browned. Add tomato paste, parsley, cinnamon, wine, salt and pepper an water.
Simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Let cool down and add eggs, cheese and half the bread crumbs.

SAUCE

In a sucepan, melt 6 Tbs. butter over medium low heat.
Add flour and make a roux.
Gradually, stir in milk and stir until quite thick.
Add salt and pepper to taste and the nutmeg.
Combine yolks with a little of the sauce to temper and stir into sauce and cook ove rlow heat for a few minutes, stirring constantly.

Brown egplant slices on both sides in olive oil. Grease an ovenproof casserole or a roasting pan and sprinkle with remaining bread crumbs.
Put a layer of egplant, then a layer of meat and continue until all is used up. Finish with a layer of eggplant. Cover with the beschemel sauce you made and sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over it.
Bake in a 350 oven for an hour. Enjoy!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum