Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?"

+4
Crybaby
Barbara101
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 12]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

So Far... DD Maria came to put up the tree in the living room, and brought lunch. Philadelphia Pretzel Factory stuff.

I / We have no clue what's for supper, even though Tina made a casserole of Baked Ziti with the pot cheee leftover from the manicotti.

I am wishing for an egg omelet of some sort.
I will see later. It's 330 now, and we have plenty time to make something. I could also go for Pork Fried Rice, and a couple Egg Rolls from Hong Kong Palace.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, man, oh man....now you have ME craving Chinese carry out....

and it's not going to happen because Mr. Amazing is not a fan.  He's craving homemade anything ~ he's tired of carry-out or his own cooking.

And, like you, I don't have a clue.  But I'm leaning toward the scalloped potatoes & ham casserole reheated.

Yup, that's what I did....leftovers, peas & toast:

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 120113

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" D865cc6a9d8c188412f48c798c4a7198

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hot chicken sandwich?

lol! 

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" Step2-57

Barbara101

Barbara101

bethk wrote:Hot chicken sandwich?

lol! 

now you know that is Tom.The rest I saved, a bit for a salad & chucked the rest in a huge pot & simmered it for hrs on low.The girls will get it.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Oh, man, oh man....now you have ME craving Chinese carry out....

and it's not going to happen because Mr. Amazing is not a fan.  He's craving homemade anything ~ he's tired of carry-out or his own cooking.

And, like you, I don't have a clue.  But I'm leaning toward the scalloped potatoes & ham casserole reheated.

Yup, that's what I did....leftovers, peas & toast:

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 120113
Ham looks great. Right now, a dish of scorpions would be better than what is happening now.
Mommy and DD are in a pissy mood with each other.
DD is putting up the tree....Tina is saying," Now that we are older, we need a table tree!" .. .. There are a lot of name calling nastiness going back and forth.
Sets of lights are only half lighted, some are dead, and won't light.

DD went to Lowes, and got new lights. TThey are too hot, and so she took them back. The tree is tipping, three ornaments fell off and smashed.....
OH!...it's a nightmare,,,,,,Mad 

bethk

bethk
Admin

'Tis the season, Jimmy, Merry ! Merry ! Merry !

Maybe things will get better when they're baking cookies.....

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara, that cake looks divine! Tell us about it, please.

Barbara101

Barbara101

Combine all these in a large bowl:
1 cup sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)
1/2 cup raisins
1 1/2 cup shredded carrots

Combine all these in another bowl:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Add the liquids to the dry, and mix completely.

Bake at 350F for 30-35 minutes.

This makes one 9" square or one 10" round layer. Make as many batches as you need layers.

Fill & frost with cream cheese icing, and press walnuts into the sides.

Just a no frills carrot cake.Not overly sweet either.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Thanks, Barb.  It's copied and saved.  It's a very pretty carrot cake -- and carrot cake is one of my favorites.

I save my recipes in Word so I was able to "plop" the photo in there, too!

Barbara101

Barbara101

oh mine too. I have other recipes I use too.some call for pineapple and or coconut.This one is just simple..

you are welcome..

I have made this in a sheet pan, then cut it in half,it makes a 2 layer square cake. cupcakes too.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Barbara101 wrote:I have made this in a sheet pan, then cut it in half,it makes a 2 layer square cake.  cupcakes too.
That's a great idea about the sheet pan, B. I'll add that as a note to your recipe.Very Happy 

Barbara101

Barbara101

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" Turkey-Club-Salad-280x247

bethk

bethk
Admin

No turkey in villa land.....

But what do you call a burger on a hot dog bun?

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 120213

Barbara101

Barbara101

it is easier to put a burger on a hot dog bun,then a hot dog on a burger bun lol

No turkey here either.well yes but it packaged up with brown rice & frozen veggies & stock.For my spoiled rotten puppers.
I saved just enough for my fake cobb salad.

done & done.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:No turkey in villa land.....

But what do you call a burger on a hot dog bun?

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 120213
Very healthy looking meal.
Burger on a hot dog bun = "Slim burger"

Easy to eat.

A hot dog on a burger bun. I slice the dog lengthwise and fan it open.
Holds a lot more fixins. yummmm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

No supper yet!... Tina went to the deli, and got bologna, ham, and provolone cheese. Turkey for GD sliced.

Will make a sandwich later on.

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Very healthy looking meal.

Easy to eat.

Funny, but Dane won't eat either. HE had the last hamburger bun. He refuses to switch on either, opting, if he must, to two slices of bread. I don't see any difference other than the shape. If my patties had not been made up and seasoned already I might have reshaped my ground beef into a tube shape (tube steak, it would be.....) and then grilled it ~ I just didn't want to get my hands all icky when I had already lit the grill.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Very healthy looking meal.

Easy to eat.

Funny, but Dane won't eat either.  HE had the last hamburger bun.  He refuses to switch on either, opting, if he must, to two slices of bread.  I don't see any difference other than the shape.  If my patties had not been made up and seasoned already I might have reshaped my ground beef into a tube shape (tube steak, it would be.....) and then grilled it ~ I just didn't want to get my hands all icky when I had already lit the grill.
Oh! Gee!.... I make oval burgers to fit hot dog buns. Tina likes that shape burger. I also make square burgers for bread; when we have no buns, and are too tired or lazy to go buy them.

I am thinking of two things here.
1. We would have hot dogs for supper as kids, and growing up.
Mom said,"We're not up at the lake, so there are no buns. Eat the hot dogs on bread. Just fold the bread like bolstering a pillow, and make a bun out of it!

Another thing...
2. I remember mom making a big pot of spaghetti sauce, and there would be meatballs in the big pot. She would sometimes fry hot dogs just to the point where they would shrivel. Not too many! About 6 or 8 , and then she would put them in the sauce to cook for a while. OMG, those hot dogs were so good on a bun or bread. We just would eat them like that, and add more sauce.
Sometimes we would cut a thin strip of mozzarella cheese, and lay that on top to melt a little. Oh! So! Good!.....

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

our last bite of turkey for this year... remember I bought a thigh and a leg of turkey the other day? well.. I cooked them today.. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then pan fried to brown them with a bit of olive oil, and then baked them covered with foil for about 90 minutes.. they were so good, juice, tender and full of flavor... I made some potato and green beans casserole with a can of cream mushroom soup too

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 1-3

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:our last bite of turkey for this year... remember I bought a thigh and a leg of turkey the other day? well.. I cooked them today.. I seasoned with salt and pepper, then pan fried to brown them with a bit of olive oil, and then baked them covered with foil for about 90 minutes.. they were so good, juice, tender and full of flavor... I made some potato and green beans casserole with a can of cream mushroom soup too

DECEMBER 2013;"What's Cooking In The Kitchen?" 1-3
It looks good Imelda!
My dad always loved the leg. Mom would fix his dish and always make sure that he had the leg.
He would eat that leg like a King. LOL...

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
It looks good Imelda!
My dad always loved the leg. Mom would fix his dish and always make sure that he had the leg.
haha.. that was for my hubby.. he finished the whole leg, I got the thigh part and I only ate half of it..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
It looks good Imelda!
haha.. that was for my hubby.. he finished the whole leg, I got the thigh part and I only ate half of it..
Ha Ha Ha Ha ......

My dad was a Fat eater, and also a cartilage and bone chewer.
He would put the whole chicken leg in hit mouth, and pull out the bone, and when he finished chewing the meat, he would bite the joints off the bone and eat that. The breast bone on the chicken or turkey, and that white rubbery cartilage on the bone, dd woul chew that and crunch crunch. My brother and I would run and hide under the table so we didn't have to watch him eat that. LOL

Barbara101

Barbara101

Tina went to the deli

you know we don't have deli.We don't have any ethnic grocery stores.We have a store here & there that sells fresh seafood??? Then it shuts down. We have bakery's or bagels. that open up, then close up.Some within weeks.

No butcher shop......No spice store.oh wait there is one downtown for the wall to wall tourists.
If you want fresh fish you have to go over to the Creek & get it off the shrimp boats.

Downtown has a farmers market.NO PARKING!!!!!! Lots of traffic.I wouldn't go.

I let my card run out at costco$70 to renew makes me mad.It is almost 1hr away anyway.

so I do without deli meats & fresh great breads.man that is what I miss about living in Baltimore.Fresh made Italian pastas & breads & walking in that market to just stand there & smell it.lol and of course being a big jewish community loads & loads of great delis.

This is no small backwoods town either.But sorely lacking in what I would like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 12]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum