Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013

+5
NormM
Barbara101
bethk
thesweetestpea
UNCLE JIMMY
9 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Barbara101

Barbara101

ok I have to ask,,,do feet have the same flavoring that hocks have?? For greens & beans.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:ok I have to ask,,,do feet have the same flavoring that hocks have?? For greens & beans.
Just asked Tina.... she said, the same taste, but more meat. Less bones.

I will eat Smoked Ham Hocks with sauerkraut .

Another mention : She doesn't add vinegar to the jelled feet.

Barbara101

Barbara101

I see them at the store.That is good to know.I have not thought about it but I could throw them in the smoker then use them for seasoning?? what do  I do with them? Just throw them on?

I can not find a pork belly anywhere.I want to smoke one..

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:I see them at the store.That is good to know.I have not thought about it but I could throw them in the smoker then use them for seasoning?? what do  I do with them? Just throw them on?

I can not find a pork belly anywhere.I want to smoke one..
The way she does it, is she has me cook the outer flesh on the grill (Nice and Hot ) and it sears and browns the flesh which gives it a flavor, and color of the liquid.

She adds salt in water with the hocks or feet with hocks, and lots of garlic cloves....a whole head just peeled. Then a half handful of black peppercorns.

Boils cover adjar on low low for about 8 to 10 hours.
She separates the meat and the liquid to several containers, and refrigerates it till it jells. You can eliminate the jell, and just eat the hocks with say cabbage or sauerkraut etc. The hocks cooked like that, make a kick @$$ tomato sauce.

cookingirl

cookingirl

Pigs Feet:
My mom made them for my dad, once in a while...
well, maybe just a few times---yuk!
My aunt Mary always made them.

I remember the bay leaves, peppercorns went in...what else, I do not think/know of..

I remember the bowl of white congealed yukky stuff in the refrigerator!

Daddy loved them! gnawing on the little knuckles and showing them to me!
He ate them with white vinegar poured on top and plain brown pumpernickel bread
can't spell Polish, but Jzhem de norgie is how it is pronounced--

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

I just bought 2 smoked hocks from our meat market, on Thursday and I use them to cook in beans, both green and dried. I remove them at the end and toss away as all the flavor cooks into the beans and pot likker. Then I add fresh, diced ham and let it cook until heated through. They also sell fresh hocks and pigs feet, souse, liver pudding and pon haus. I like pon haus but not the rest -- Yuck. I have some organic split peas, cranberry beans and large and small limas -- plan on split pea soup soon.

Barbara101

Barbara101

thesweetestpea wrote:I just bought 2 smoked hocks from our meat market, on Thursday and I use them to cook in beans, both green and dried.  I remove them at the end and toss away as all the flavor cooks into the beans and pot likker.  Then I add fresh, diced ham and let it cook until heated through.  They also sell fresh hocks and pigs feet, souse, liver pudding and pon haus.  I like pon haus but not the rest -- Yuck.  I have some organic split peas, cranberry beans and large and small limas -- plan on split pea soup soon.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 3593629538 I don't eat them either.Not much meat on them mostly fat & bone.

NormM

NormM

Dinner today will be braised brisket in coffee rub, carrots, mushrooms and potatoes with thickened au jus.

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 DSCN0787_zps733d9703

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Norm, that looks perfectly luscious !

Does the coffee rub give the meat a "morning coffee" taste or is it just a complex addition to spice rub? I saw one rub once that had espresso ground coffee, cocoa powder and a bunch of dried chile spices....and no one mentioned an overwhelming "coffee" taste. I'm just curious.

Oh, and did you smoke it as well?

Sorry for all the questions....

NormM

NormM

I braised it in the oven, covered with some Better Than Bouillon beef and onion mixed with the rub. Tatonka dust that was combined with the coffee rub had a charcoal flavoring. It also has powdered Worcestershire and soy sauces. There is no coffee noticeable coffee flavor.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Barbara101

Barbara101

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 Wwwpinterestcom

watch cooking shows most of the day & end up with a sandwich ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 3470128989 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Barbara101 wrote:( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 Wwwpinterestcom

watch cooking shows most of the day & end up with a sandwich ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 3470128989 
Wow! That sandwich looks so good! I almost drool looking at it!!

I just threw 3 Nathans and 3 Sabret hot dogs in a low simmer water bath. Just hot dogs and coleslaw for supper tonight! ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 3921676023 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had 3 hot dogs for supper, and I am still swallowing them. Grrrrrr! They float up every minute.

Tina separated her jelly toe meal into portion containers.

She's happy as a pig in "IT"!

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 Xyac

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 8jd7

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn called earlier this afternoon and suggested I bring one of my pieces of strip steaks over and we'd cook on the grill (translation: Beth cooks our steaks just the way we like them on the grill.....).

So, that's just what I did. I took the second half of my baked spaghetti squash, a box of mushrooms and my ear of corn (see, Barb, I told you I'd have what YOU had....)because Lyn also bought corn when we went to the store together and Lyn made a salad. Bill doesn't like the squash or the mushrooms so I just fix those for Lyn and me to share. I think that's why we like to combine our efforts ~ we're all happy and full!

bethk

bethk
Admin

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:I had 3 hot dogs for supper, and I am still swallowing them. Grrrrrr! They float up every minute.

Tina separated her jelly toe meal into portion containers.

She's happy as a pig in "IT"!

But as long as she's happy and she doesn't expect you to share....then everyone is happy!

bethk

bethk
Admin

Barbara101 wrote:

But, Barb, that is one amazing looking sandwich! With that much protein it should equalize out the carb for you.

Barbara101

Barbara101

My eyes were to big. pig I ate half.

I still had a 95..Lunch today is ready.

I wrote down a bunch of ideas for grilled sandwiches to do on the outside grill. ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 512660330 
I don't have a heavy press so I may just use a heavy CI skillet.

thesweetestpea

thesweetestpea

Barbara101 wrote:My eyes were to big. pig I ate half.

I still had a 95..Lunch today is ready.

I wrote down a bunch of ideas for grilled sandwiches to do on the outside grill. ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 512660330 
I don't have a heavy press so I may just use a heavy CI skillet.
I found this one on Closet Cooking blog, and they have another one for Caramel Apple Grilled Cheese too -- he has a lot of grilled sandwiches on his site, Barb, if you haven't looked there. affraid 

http://www.closetcooking.com/2010/03/caramelized-apple-grilled-cheese.html

bethk

bethk
Admin

I grilled a couple chicken thighs and then decided one was plenty - I'll use the other one for a lunch or something.

Grilled Chicken Thigh w/peach curry chutney, grilled cauliflower, green beans w/almonds (guess who's plate I stole THAT idea off of?) and a salad of cucumber & tomato w/green goddess dressing....

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 101313

Barbara101

Barbara101

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 4137497845 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Barb, I just realized I should have posted my pic in my photobucket under "low carb" meals....never thought of that until I looked just now. I think the only real carb load was the peach chutney, although the green beans have a fair amount, don't they? And I really didn't miss it.

Go figure.

Of course, what I didn't eat tonight I certainly made up for in my breakfast....but who's counting? That meal was HOURS ago!

Barbara101

Barbara101

( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 1234480_10200827242628090_492160781_n

almost a repeat. wanted to use the fresh beans up.One ear of corn. Pork tenderloin roasted on the grill. ( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 512660330 

bethk

bethk
Admin

Your tenderloin looks perfectly cooked ~ but did YOU steal MY idea for almonds on the beans???

lol! 

Barbara101

Barbara101

Yes I did.( It's a Brand New Month ) "OCTOBER" of 2013 - Page 6 2876911673 

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Good Gosh! All that food looks delicious!

Ear Corn is finished here, and it's at last pickins.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum