Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools?

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

51April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:10 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Cookin Lore wrote:Is the kitchen staff properly trained?

Nope. That is the problem. They hire kids, or fill a dishwasher position, and then move them up the line.
None of them, have been properly trained.

It is like fighting City Hall.. no win situation. The only thing that has pretty much gotten to them is: The fact that more and more people are asking for a sandwich for supper, instead of the main meal. And that the dining room is practically empty.

not sure about supper tonight. I did buy some salad stuff. Or I could go down and see if they are offering a 'surprise' special.

bethk likes this post

52April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:48 pm

NormM

NormM

I think it was Anthony Bourdain who said that when he was staffing a restaurant, he preferred to hire Mexicans. No matter what kind or restaurant it was, Mexicans always did well at preparing food. There is a Greek restaurant near here that we go to and like. The food is always consistent and good and you can hear Spanish being spoken in the kitchen.

bethk and cookingirl like this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

53April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

Cookin Lore

Training in the service industry in North America is, I think basically non-existant. But, I think that's really for another whole discussion.

54April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:59 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Ok-- I guess, this is a slow thread, now that Beth is not available to post. Beth is the "heart and soul" of this forum...

Yesterday was a 'nibble' day, all day.. No wonder why I cannot lose weight. I ate everything I laid my eyes on... not good...

Today was no cooking. I had almond milk yogurt for breakfast with coffee. Lunch was seafood salad in a small pita bread, with a decaf iced coffee. I was not interested in supper. Just made an old fashioned pot of popcorn: real kernel popcorn with some oil, in a pain.. added a bit of popcorn butter (fake) for taste-- with a couple glasses of flavored seltzer: mandarin/ginger.

What did you have?

bethk likes this post

55April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Phew!  I'm baaaaccccckkkkk!

We had an absolutely lovely visit with HIS cousin, Gloria, and her daughter, Nikki.  They arrived around midnight Monday (oh, SO late!) and it's about an hour and 15 minute drive back home.  But, of course, we were all up and awake by 7 a.m.  

So on Tuesday we drove the 1-1/4 hours to visit HIS sister.  We had a chance to take her out to lunch with us and it was a lovely, low key day.

On Wednesday we planned to go to St. Augustine for the day.  It's a 2+ hour drive, going the same route as going to HIS sister's....(boring.....) but St. Augustine was on Gloria & Nikki's 'bucket list'.  It's really a beautiful city and the history is all around.  We decided the best way to see as much as possible was to take the 'hop-on-hop-off' trolley.  And it was an hour & 40 minute tour through out the city.  Everyone enjoyed it.  

I had planned to take them to the beautiful Columbian Restaurant in the middle of 'Old Town' for a late lunch but they decided they wanted someplace with a water view ~ we ended up on the roof top patio (with a shade umbrella) at Salt Life Restaurant across the street from the St. Augustine Pier & Beach.  The food & drinks were great and everyone was ready to walk by the beach and then head home.

On Thursday we hung around the house and chilled out.  Nikki had to participate in a work seminar on line to get re-certified for something for her work.  After her seminar was over we took a golf cart ride to one of the pools and floated around for a while.

We got home and I made BLT's for our supper.  On the way back from St. Augustine we had stopped at our favorite 'real' farm roadside market.  I picked up tomatoes, freshly picked cauliflower and two huge bunches of collards (one was to drop off at HIS sister's on the way home).  In the morning I had made some potato salad and creamed cucumber salad to have with our sandwiches.

Then it was Friday.  Dane & I had to go back to Palatka for the funeral & family visitation for his youngest sister's husband who had passed away on March 29th.  Gloria & Nikki, although most welcome to join us, chose to walk along the marina on the St. John's River while we were occupied.  It was beautiful weather the whole time they were here and they really enjoyed walking through the downtown area and checking out the antique shops that line the main street.

And then it was time to head back to the airport.  They chose a 'true' BBQ place ~ we ended up at a small place in Sanford, FL (near the airport) for lunch.  It was really quite good and the servings were 'lunch' sized.

After lunch it was still to early to drop them at the airport for their flight so we drove to one of the many 'springs' in Florida (they're all over the state) and it was a lovely park like setting.  As we drove past the airport we had a chance to see The Blue Angels practicing for an air show they're having today.  Those jets are amazing to watch fly in formation.

We dropped them at the airport at the appropriate time, got promises they would return, and headed home.  I think I was in bed before 9 pm ~ a bit early for me but it was an active week for me!

So, here are random pictures of some of the food we had this week.....

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_17_16

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_17_17

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_17_18

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_17_19

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_17_20

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_18_32

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_18_33

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_18_34

cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

56April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

You know I don't like 'leftovers' so I'm calling this my 'repurposed' lunch......

LOL

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_20_17

cookingirl likes this post

57April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Before Gloria & Nikki got here I had thawed a pint container of my lemon juice.  I heated it with about 1-1/2 c. sugar until the sugar was completely dissolved and let it cool down.  I felt just like my Grandma when I put a Mason jar of drink mix in my refrigerator! Then, when they were here I mixed it about 4 parts water to 1 part lemonade concentrate for a really refreshing glass of homemade lemonade.

Heck, I even impressed myself!

LOL

Tonight for supper we're having the (same old, same old) Mediterranean Chicken Salad.  I had all the ingredients in the refrigerator and just had to thaw a couple chicken cutlets.  I won't bother taking a pic of it ~ you all have seen it dozens of times!

HE did go out and pick beans again.  We thought the last time was going to be the last picking but found out he should have picked on Monday instead of waiting until today.  But I'll cut them down and they'll still taste good with a couple meals next week.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_20_18

58April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Yesterday was a weird day. I did some cleaning, picking up around here; kept bothering Geoffrey! He loved it.. He did not get a chance to nap at all, during the day! We played, cuddled, I did stuff in between; then, I attempted some paperwork. It was actually a continuation of copying and calculating my financial stuff for yearly recertification. I had done a ton of it before. I was supposed to just review things, and copying a few small items. I put the envelope in a 'safe' spot-- in full sight..
Well, wouldn't you know it~~~~~ The envelope, in my "safe" spot in "full" sight, disappeared! I went crazy trying to find it. I was getting desperate. I was really sweating it. So glad I had kept copies of copies; and the originals.

So, I had to re-copy a lot of things.
After about 1.5 hours of this; I had it.. I was getting confused, and aggravated..
When lo and behold, I found "The Envelope" !! It had slid down between pieces of furniture!! My 'safe' spot!!

I gave up! I just organized and paper clipped things, and put it aside. I also found a lot of receipts which I thought I had thrown away!! Yes, St Anthony ALWAYS comes through...

So, it was almost 2 hours of paperwork, copying things, paper clipping them, organizing, putting in the special manilla envelope for Tuesday! I swear, recertification is worse than having taxes done. I get really confused after about an hour or 1.5 hours.

I needed to get out!! I needed a break! It was a cloudy, raw day; but I needed out and away from this junk. It was semi-close to supper time. I decided to walk down the street and pick up a nice Greek Salad from a Greek/American restaurant, on the beach. The salad was huge. Nice fresh feta, nice fresh pita bread, which they re-heated, and great salad dressing.

I ate 1/2 of the salad, leaving the rest for today. I did not add all the dressing. I kept some for today, so the salad is still nice and fresh. The pita bread was so good with it.

This morning, after church, I picked up some nice fresh pita at the grocery store. That will be my supper.

bethk and Imelda HL like this post

59April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I had to find something to go with the over-sized green beans. Decided on Johnsonville brats on the grill and a Japanese Purple Sweet Potato.

The beans were just OK ~ the few leftovers didn't get saved. Actually, they tasted like really old grocery store beans.....

(HE knew they should have been picked last Monday but got busy with other things....)

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_21_25

60April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:46 pm

Cookin Lore

I just finished my leftovers from last night's beef on the bun dinner in the building. Yummy! We had the beef/gravy and roasted potatoes from a local market. Fabulous! I am chair of the social committee which organizes, so we took some of the leftovers home. We ordered way too much beef, so an unused/unopened 5 lb. container of beef and gravy/buns went to a local shelter. No picture of the food, but I'll send a picture of the people! We also had peas/carrots from Costco served in a large crock[-pot. and a large coleslaw made by one of the committee. Dessert was ice cream on a :stick" we had four different ones so poeple could choose. $15./person. It was a fun evening.

61April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:55 pm

JanaAZ

I’m not cooking for the next several weeks so I won’t be posting. But if you want some more activity….ill post pics of my trip thru Panama Canal. Wait a few days

62April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Last night. Beef on the bun party in my building. One picture of the room, the other, two members of our committee Anne and Rick. No, not a couple, Rick is our only male member and is absolutely a gem at organizing parties etc. He jokes about having the “gay gene” for that. He was serving the beef and potatoes.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_20_19

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_20_20

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

63April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:01 pm

NormM

NormM

i know I posted here today but I don't see it. I must have forgot to hit send. Charlie asked for ribs again since the last batch was gone too soon for his liking. I made my favorite coleslaw. Someone from church would bring it to potlucks when I was small. April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Img_1532
April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Img_1533

bethk, cookingirl and Imelda HL like this post

64April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:39 am

Cookin Lore

Good morning from sunny Niagara!  Question about coleslaw.  Just for fun.  I shred the cabbage in my mandolin, as I like the look of the ribbons of cabbage.  I did use my food processor when I had one (It died at I think age about 15!) but used a larger blade. Coleslaw that is made commercially, and was done by one of our committee members on Saturday, is shredded so finely that it just looks mushy to me.  Flavour was very good, I'm just talking optics.  So, for you experts here small or larger pieces of cabbage?  Personally, I think mine looks best, and I always have a lot of parsley in it, for colour!
Have a great day everyone!

P.S on edit. I have been trying, particularly after seeing all the wonderful food I see here, to eat what they say "Eat the rainbow". Or have lots of natural colour on my plate. Also, I bought a small book called "Rocking the plate" which is just making food look appetizing.

bethk likes this post

65April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cookin Lore wrote:Good morning from sunny Niagara!  Question about coleslaw.  Just for fun.  I shred the cabbage in my mandolin, as I like the look of the ribbons of cabbage.  I did use my food processor when I had one (It died at I think age about 15!) but used a larger blade. Coleslaw that is made commercially, and was done by one of our committee members on Saturday, is shredded so finely that it just looks mushy to me.  Flavour was very good, I'm just talking optics.  So, for you experts here small or larger pieces of cabbage?  Personally, I think mine looks best, and I always have a lot of parsley in it, for colour!
Have a great day everyone!

P.S on edit.  I have been trying, particularly after seeing all the wonderful food I see here, to eat what they say "Eat the rainbow".  Or have lots of natural colour on my plate.  Also, I bought a small book called "Rocking the plate" which is just making food look appetizing.  

Lore, I, too use a mandolin ~ well, actually, Grandma's Feemster's Original Vegetable Slicer, but it's the same thing, just from the 1950's (and inexpensive). I like to change the thickness of my cabbage at different times, I think it changes the entire taste of the coleslaw. Example: for my Kentucky Fried Chicken Coleslaw (copycat recipe) I like to slice my cabbage about 3/8" and then chop it into little cubes. It tastes different from the grated or shredded to me.

I usually use medium to small heads of cabbage and quarter them when I shred the cabbage on the mandolin. I don't want really long 'strings' of cabbage as I think it's awkward to eat. And sometimes I shred it really thin and other times maybe 1/4" thick. Depends on my mood that day.

It's always fun to add some purple (aka: red) cabbage, as well as the green & some carrots and parsley ~ once in a while I'll add some red sweet bell peppers. Love to make it full of color. I think the more colors you have it's better to use a dressing that doesn't have mayonnaise as then it's really bright.

I had a recipe for Memphis Cole Slaw (the recipe may be here on the forum salad thread) that was really tasty IF YOU LIKE SPICY. It was interesting because you boiled the dressing and poured it over your prepared cabbage & vegetables and then let it meld in the refrigerator overnight. But it was really quite spicy so it's not for anyone who is sensitive to that sort of thing.

66April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

This morning I've been doing some laundry and I've been in the kitchen making a pot of Collard Greens for supper.

It's always a long process but we enjoy the end result so it's all worth it. And every time I do something a bit different just to change things up.

This time I cut up about 4 little red Thai Chilies and one of HIS homegrown hot banana peppers. Hopefully I didn't over do it ~ only time will tell. I also added a large chopped onion, some Aleppo Pepper (not too spicy but flavorful ~ dried in a jar from Penzey's), a bit of Tony Chachere's Cajun Spice, chili powder, a bit of brown sugar (to even out the spices) and some s&p.

I browned a few slices of chopped bacon to get things started (reserved for later) and also added about 1/4 c. of the minced ham I keep in the freezer for seasoning things.

The collards got cut off the stems and put into the sink about half filled with tempid water to get rid of any grit. Then the leaves got stacked and sliced into 1" to 1-1/2" slices and sloshed around in fresh water. Nothing worse than a mouthful of grit at supper! I ended up with enough sliced collards to fill my old Tupperware 'Big-Green-Bowl' ~ you all know how large THAT is!

I got my vegetables started in the bacon fat plus a bit more of olive oil and added the spices to let them bloom in the oil before I started adding my sliced collards.

I'm going to slowly simmer my collards for about a total of 45 minutes ~ I like them to have just a bit of 'bite' and not cooked until they're completely mushy.

I'm just going to braise some pork shoulder steak and make some cornbread.....don't need anything more.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_22_15

67April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:19 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

JanaAZ wrote:I’m not cooking for the next several weeks so I won’t be posting. But if you want some more activity….ill post pics of my trip thru Panama Canal. Wait a few days

Judy, you & Steve should have a fabulous time on that trip! I've had friends who have gone more than once they enjoyed it so much.

And it sure beats sailing around South America to get to the other side to the Pacific Ocean (or vice versa)! LOL

68April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:21 pm

NormM

NormM

The coleslaw that I made yesterday was cut with a knife and I only used a quarter of a head of cabbage because I expected only two of us would be eating it and didn't know if my son would like it or not. I made it quickly and didn't chop it too finely or try to make it uniform in size
. I have tried it with a food processor and found it too fine.  I think the best results I have had is with the coarse side of a box grater.  I have an inexpensive Japanese mandolin but haven't tried it with cabbage.

PS Charlie liked it a lot and wants me to make it every time I make slaw from now on.

69April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:43 pm

Cookin Lore

While the flavour of the slaw on Saturday was good I thought it didn't look appetizing. But, no one complained, and a lot of it was gone. I also sometimes add red pepper. But, always a lot of parsley! I'm glad to read that I'm not alone in liking the cabbage pieces a little bigger!

70April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:56 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I can always tell when me cooking all day (and having the house smell like whatever I'm making) causes HIM to be really hungry.

I just looked out by the table and there HE is.....sitting at HIS place, ready to eat.

I had to tell HIM there were 10 more minutes until the cornbread would be done baking.

Hahahahahaha !!!

71April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:15 pm

NormM

NormM

I was craving Scotch Eggs so that is what I made.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Img_1534

72April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:46 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:I was craving Scotch Eggs so that is what I  made.

I love seeing your Scotch Eggs, Norm. One of these days I'm going to make them.

Mr. 'What-Is-This'? is in for a surprise!!!

NormM and cookingirl like this post

73April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:55 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I have to say, tonight's supper was pretty darn tasty ~ and NO complaints from the Peanut Gallery!

I made my usual braised pork steak ~ boneless pork shoulder slices, pounded to tenderize a bit and seasoned with some Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning & freshly cracked black pepper (allowing them to sit, seasoned in the refrigerator for a couple hours). I lightly dredge in plain flour and brown on both sides in olive oil & a bit of butter, then add enough chicken stock to cover the bottom of the pan. I add a lid and let them simmer for about 30 - 40 minutes, until tender and most of the liquid has evaporated.

The collards were NOT too spicy and were one of my best efforts in a while. HE sprinkled a few drops of pepper vinegar on his but I didn't need any for extra flavor.

The Jiffy Mix Cornbread with the addition of corn kernels from one ear of corn was wonderful. I cut a circle of parchment just large enough to cover the bottom of my 8" cast iron skillet and then reserve it for when the skillet is hot (I let it heat while I preheat the oven). When the oven is preheated I remove the hot skillet, put in the parchment round and add a tablespoon of butter to melt. Then my cornbread mixture gets added and at 400° it's done in 20 minutes. I flip it on a dinner plate, remove the parchment and then flip it back upright (my OCD strikes!) to slice into wedges for on the table.

The last of the tomato from the other day needed to be eaten so that was just the final touch.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_22_16

74April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:44 pm

Cookin Lore

I just finished my dinner of rainbow trout done in the oven, and a dish I've posted about here several times, lentils with veggies in them, like a salad.  Sending two pictures................. one of the trout in just as it came out of the oven, and then, half the trout and my lentils.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_22_10

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 04_22_11

Thanks again! Looking at that picture, that piece of trout looks like it is shoved into the lentils like a shovel ready to pick up! I assure you, I had a fork and a knife there! LOL.

Last edited by Cookin Lore on Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

75April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 3 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:14 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Still no cooking from me...
The 'girls' grabbed me to go shopping.. and lunch..
So, that it was. I drove, we hit one outdoor mall, searching 4 stores.
Then it was time for lunch.

We hit a pizza place! Yup, pizza again.. man, I could live on pizza. We went to "The Brown Jug"; originally a bar, but moved and converted into a bar/very casual restaurant. I was shocked to see the original wooden booths! So tiny! A piece of shoddy nostalgia.. But such good food! The bar area still smells like an old time bar!

We ordered an antipasto salad, which was huge! and so good. The pizza was a combo of 1/2 regular cheese and 1/2 margarita. One friend had never tried margarita pizza, so I gave her a piece of my slice.
It was just the 3 of us. Pat and myself had a glass of wine, with Donna having a draft beer.

All in all it was a good day. We gave the leftover pizza and salad to Pat to take home for her husband.

Today, I do not know what I am having: last day for the minestrone, before it gets tossed; so I think that will be it.

Tomorrow is a trip to the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston. We will bring snacks for the ride home. It is a group excursion. Thursday is a 'Disco" Party in here. Donna is all out, she ordered a disco outfit. Pat bought some love beads, that I can share with her!! I think this afternoon, I will do more shopping for snacks, and perhaps the Dollar Store for more beads, a la disco!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum