Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools?

+2
NormM
bethk
6 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

26April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie asked if I would make Korean rice cake soup.  I had not made it before but the recipe seemed simple enough. Mine wasn't as pretty as the picture though.

OK, so usually I can figure out your recipes by reading on your blog ~ but this one had ingredients I was not familiar with so I had to look it up and I found (I believe) the site you used because the recipe was the same as yours AND the picture was very, VERY similar.  So what if your kombu (isn't that the same as gim?) wasn't all in one spot?  It was still almost identical!

Well Done!

NormM likes this post

27April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:00 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

From Lore:

"Dinner Tonight. Small salad, and then some leftover chili which wasn’t worth photographing! Lol"

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_09_18

bethk and cookingirl like this post

28April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:34 pm

NormM

NormM

Charlie gave me the link for the recipe. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokguk He likes a lot of them from there. He liked this one too but preferred I omit the fish sauce. I looked up "soup soy sauce" and found it is a Korean soy sauce that is lighter and saltier. I am lucky that Charlie knows about Korean food and can tell me stuff I didn't know and that there is a good Korean grocery store almost near here.

bethk likes this post

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

29April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:02 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

NormM wrote:Charlie gave me the link for the recipe. https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tteokguk He likes a lot of them from there.  He liked this one too but preferred I omit the fish sauce.  I looked up "soup soy sauce" and found it is a Korean soy sauce that is lighter and saltier.  I am lucky that Charlie knows about Korean food and can tell me stuff I didn't know and that there is a good Korean grocery store almost near here.  

As long as you're taking requests.......would you make this one for me?

Japchae, sweet potato starch noodles stir fried with vegetables and meat

Boy, do I wish I lived closer!

NormM likes this post

30April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:22 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was clueless yet again today as to what to fix for supper.

HE was NO help at all.......

(( sigh ))

So, I went to the store to get a few things we were out of ~ and, besides, it's where I find my 'happy' place! Nothing looked good at the first stop so I moved on to another.....Fresh Market usually has SOMETHING that looks interesting.

And, VIOLA! Irish Banger Sausages were on sale.....Woo Hoo!!!

So, main dish is decided. I had picked up a couple small zucchini & summer squash at my first stop, as well as one small sweet potato. (Alas, NOT the wonderful Japanese purple sweet potatoes I got at the market in Orlando....) So, supper was finally a plan!

Irish Banger Sausages with a baked sweet potato (to split) and some sauteed summer squashes with onions.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_10_16

We do like the bangers ~ same ingredients as kielbasa but without the garlic. At least that's what the meat guy at Fresh Market shared with me....

Tomorrow I'm going to drive Lyn to Orlando airport to pick up her sister who is coming to visit for a week or so. I'm thinking I'll talk them into making a stop at the market I like to get some bok choy and purple sweet potatoes. What can I say? It's one of my favorite places!

NormM and cookingirl like this post

31April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:35 pm

NormM

NormM

When I went to the Korean market yesterday for the rice cake soup, I also picked up some fresh kimchis and marinated beef bulgogi. They have really good marinated meats. I converted my smoker fire box to a grill for the meat. It always tastes best over charcoal.April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Img_1526

32April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I drove Lyn to Orlando Airport to pick up her sister who is visiting for a week. We should have checked the route......we always take the Florida Turnpike and we would have found out they had a 15 mile 'slow down'....2 to 4 MPH due to construction and merging 3 lanes into 1. It was awful. And it was raining. And we needed a bathroom....ah, I digress ~ too much information....SORRY!

But, fortunately because of the rain, her sister's plane was also delayed so it all worked out.

On the way back home (no north bound slow downs) we stopped at the Asian Market I like to shop at. I got a bunch of the purple sweet potatoes, more of the baby bok choy, some fresh bean sprouts, some Chinese Sweet Sausages, a bag of shitake mushrooms and some chili peppers (just because they were so beautiful).

And when I was looking at the things in the refrigerated case I came across something I recognized;

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_11_16

I didn't buy them because I don't know enough about them....I've read a little but not enough to be ready to cook them. But it was fun to see them!

cookingirl likes this post

33April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:21 am

Cookin Lore

Road Construction! Is there anything worse when you're in the construction lane? Hubby and I did a road trip in Nova Scotia, and "did the Cabot Trail". By the locals and many others called the most magnificent drive in the world. It goes around the outside of Cape Breton. about 300 kilometers. Worst drive of my life. One side is the ocean, the other, TREES! Yes, there were side roads to go to little villages etc., all I wanted to do was get off that island. How many times can you say "Oh look at the pretty sight" All I could see was the backside of dust covered vehicles, and the flag waving construction crews controlling traffic. NEVER going there again! Sorry, Nova Scotia!

34April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I love shopping at the Asian Market in Orlando ~ they have the nicest produce at the best prices. Yesterday I got my baby butter bok choy and shitake mushrooms to use in a beef stir fry tonight. I also got some Chinese sweet sausage to use with pea pods & bean sprouts.

I've spent most of the afternoon getting everything cut and ready to stir fry. Everything is assembled and ready to go and I'm tired already! LOL

But it's always one of my favorite meals anytime I do a stir fry.

35April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:23 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper was a success ~ HE even complimented me. HE really liked the Sweet Chinese Sausage with pea pods & bean sprouts (even though I let the pea pods get steamed a touch too long. I guess the crispy bean sprouts made up for it.

The beef, mushroom & bok choy stir fry was really tasty. I got some Shitake mushrooms and they were really fresh ~ no dried & tough stems. The stems were easy to pull off and were nice and soft. I was impressed with the taste as a good mushroom can mimic beef. The butter baby bok choy were the size I like best ~ less than palm size. I did cut them in half to be able to wash them well. Nothing ruins a meal more than grit in your vegetables!

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_12_22

36April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:17 pm

NormM

NormM

Dinner was Pappardelle with Creamy Chicken Sauce.  The recipe called for 7 chicken thighs but I used 4 and made up the difference in volume with mushroom caps cut to be roughly the same size as the chicken pieces.
April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Img_1528

bethk likes this post

37April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:28 pm

Cookin Lore

My dinner? a few nuts, a few pieces of cheese, a stale slice of something with apple in it, and a banana. I went to our tapas party in the building. I was late, there were a few things left (cheese and the thing with apple in it) So, I had some wine, came to my condo and had a banana. Tomorrow is another day. I am tired from a 4 hour shift at my volunteer job. gonna put on my jammies now.!

bethk likes this post

38April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:34 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

HE wanted burgers on the grill.

I made some macaroni salad with elbow macaroni.....I wanted to use up some stuff from the vegetable drawer. I used some of the peeled carrot (there's still some left....), a couple stalks of celery, a bit of the red onion and (I don't remember why....) a SLIVER of cabbage. I mean, WHO saves a tiny slice of cabbage sliced off the edge of a head??? But, hey, it was a new 'crunch' added to my macaroni salad and I just may do that on a regular basis. So I guess it was destined when I used the rest of the head of cabbage!

HE gets a regular size burger ~ 6 ounces of Fresh Market ground chuck. My burger is a 3 oz. burger patty and I serve it on a toasted 'slider' bun. It's just right for my taste. But if you get your phone camera really close it looks HUGE!

I find humor in the strangest places......

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_13_17

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_13_18

39April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:38 pm

Cookin Lore

No cooking again for me today! But, I ate very well anyway. Friend in the building has had a family thing in our party room (room and kitchen available for residents/owners) So, she brought me dinner! two types of chicken, one piece a bone in piece of breast, some amazing jerk chicken; then, a vegetable lasagna which I have kept for tomorrow. THen two types of rice, one quite spicy which I love, the other a bit bland, so I combined them, ate half and left the rest to go with the veggie lasagna tomorrow. Oh, there were also yummy potatoes, I ate half and the rest will be with the lasagna tomorrow. I love my condo neighbours/friends! No pictures, sorry, just imagine all the goodness!

bethk likes this post

40April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:14 pm

JanaAZ

Tonight I made miso glazed chicken thighs with Japanese eggplant and brown rice. The chicken was real good but don’t think I’d make the eggplant again

Still don’t know why it keeps turning my photos….nit making me happy

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Img_0313

bethk and NormM like this post

41April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:38 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I was sitting here trying to come up with an idea for supper when, what to my surprise ???

Neighbor Jim called and asked us to go to dinner with him!

WOW! Problem solved.....

cookingirl likes this post

42April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Cookin Lore

Lucky you! You are sooooo nice to Jim, to help him eat out! I don't have such a needy neighbour! LOL

43April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:38 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's not a lot of work to get the house ready for company.....

but there are things that need to be done.  I had to go borrow Lyn's blow-up bed ~ she has all the linens washed and ready to go in a tote box.  She is SO organized!

Dane's cousin, Gloria, is flying in tonight (VERY late....) with her daughter to visit until Friday.  I mentioned our spare room has one queen size bed.  She said she could always sleep on the couch ~ NOT all that comfortable.  Therefore, the borrowed bed.  ((  sigh  ))

As long as they're comfortable.

I just have extra stuff in the refrigerator for breakfasts.  A lot of fruit, some yogurt, a pecan roll from Publix and as usual, eggs any way they'd like them.

We'll be on the go the whole time they're here.  Tomorrow will be a visit at his sister's and out to lunch.  Wednesday will be all day in St. Augustine and there for lunch & probably supper.  There's a lot to see there and it's something they mentioned they'd like to visit.

Thursday we'll probably hang around here in The Villages ~ going to the pool and riding around in the golf cart....lots to see and do.

Friday we have to go back by his sister's because his younger sister's husband recently passed away and we must attend the funeral.  We'll have to leave from there to get cousin & daughter back to the airport for their flight back to Ohio.  

Saturday I plan to drop.......

((Phew!))

So, if you don't see any posts, don't worry.

Supper tonight was compliments of my local Publix Deli.....and leftover macaroni salad and some lima beans (requested by 'Guess Who ???') 

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 04_15_26

44April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:52 pm

NormM

NormM

I used the smoker today. I smoked the beans as well as the ribs.

April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Img_1529

45April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:14 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

Nothing much for supper. Trying to save money this month and next month, so I am committed to eating the food from the dining room--blech!  I mean, I pay $230 a month for it, and most of it is not appealing to me, or cooked to my satisfaction. I am not fussy, but.....  

Tonight was deli board: roast beef, turkey, cheese, seafood salad, lettuce (why shredded??), one slice of tomato. On your choice of breads: marbled rye, bulky, white, wheat. Potato or Pasta Salad, potato chips.

I got roast beef, cheese, on rye with lettuce, tomato, small scoop of potato salad-- BLAH

Why is it, that I always get a 'funky' taste from the stuff in here?? Either the deli stuff is old, or in the freezer/refrigerator too long; or the refrigerator/freezer needs a good wash down-- including all the refrigeration... OR is it because it is all Kosher??  and low quality Kosher. That is what happens when you live in a Jewish HUD Senior Housing Facility... nothing against Kosher. I have eaten many Kosher things, but these suppliers are not good-- lower quality.

I can say that; because I am on the Food Committee. It has been tough, but we have slowly begun better options and some changes to the menu...

Next week is Passover; feeling and knowing that the food will be not my 'style'. I was not raised Kosher.
I fear I will be relegated to: salads and/or chicken breast (yuck), sweet potato, or My Minestrone which in in my freezer.. perhaps even my frozen chicken soup--- all depending on how warm it is outside.

On the other hand, I MAY be going out to supper for one meal... not sure about that... I will have to wait and see...

bethk likes this post

46April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:02 pm

Cookin Lore

I assume that you live in a retirement home? It's tough to cook for so many people, quite a few are probably on restricted and BLAH diets. Sorry! I made some stuffed peppers for myself, I've made better because the stuffing ended up kind of soupy. But, it was tasty. No picture.

47April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:56 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Cookin Lore wrote:I assume that you live in a retirement home?  It's tough to cook  for so many people, quite a few are probably on restricted and BLAH diets.   Sorry!   I made some stuffed peppers for myself, I've made better because the stuffing ended up kind of soupy.  But, it was tasty.  No picture.

Yeah, I live in Senior Housing. It is supposed to be Independent living; but with the state of things, it has become more and more 'dependent' living.

There is a mandatory food plan, which most of the people hate. The only ones who really want or need it are the ones who are really elderly and cannot physically cook.

There is no way to get off this meal plan. It is an extra expense; especially if you make your own meals. The rent is based on income.

Yes, it is hard to find meals, but the quality and variety is just not there. If I could, I would get off the meal plan in a heartbeat. It is a pain to cook; but, it would be so much better for me. This month and next month, I will have to eat a good portion of my suppers from the dining room, due to finances. At least they have a take-out option. I fear I will mostly be living on chicken and salad--blah..

What makes it harder is that the food is Kosher-ish.
They have a non-kosher kitchen, but still are not allowed to use pork or any pork products... sigh...

From what I understand, kosher food can be quite good, if prepared properly. The sad part is that the non-jewish people outnumber the jewish.. Not being racist, just stating a fact.

bethk likes this post

48April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:43 am

Cookin Lore

I know that I would also find it challenging if meals were cooked like yours. I have an uncle, and an ex-brother-in-law who live in a similar complex. But, they can opt out of the meal plan. Uncle feels the meals are OK, sometimes not enough in volume, but he says that he then has a snack.. EX BIL just complains and my niece, his daughter ends up cooking for him. Problem is that she lives 70 miles away, so she cooks at home, freezes, and then brings him food. It's tough. Uncle is 91, BIL 85

THe condo building I live in has a lot of seniors who also don't cook much any more, and I see a lot of deliveries coming in. So far, I still love to cook for myself.

49April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:48 pm

cookingirl

cookingirl

I was shocked at tonights supper for me! They offered a chicken caesar salad! I love chicken caesar salad! I got a large one, as a meal. I really enjoyed it. The hot meal options did not look appetizing; manicotti, with garlic spinach and roasted potatoes. The manicotti sauce was loose-- watery. The spinach looked over cooked. The roasted potatoes looked over cooked. That is the problem with them. It seems the oven overcooks things on the top. I think it needs either calibration, or a new one.

And they seem to keep the food in the oven for too long. Weird..

bethk likes this post

50April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? - Page 2 Empty Re: April, 2024 ~ the month of fools? Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cookin Lore

Is the kitchen staff properly trained? We had a meeting of our social committee yesterday, and one person was bemoaning the fact that she had nothing prepared for dinner. So, I said that I was making stuffed peppers, and would she like a couple. She said, that would be great for her hubby, but no thanks for her, she doesn't like cooked peppers.. I said fine. So, when they were done, I went down the hall (she's my neighbour) with one on a plate. She looked at it and said "That looks and smells great, and I bet the stuffing is really good." So I said, you sure you don't want one, I have more. Then she asked if I would be upset if she only ate the stuffing. I mean how would I even know she didn't eat the pepper???? So, I gave her one. I saw her today. She loved it, and ate the whole pepper also. The pepper was not mushy! She is particular! Now, if she would have mentioned that she didn't like mushy peppers, I would have told her that I precook the filling, put it in a pepper, add cheese on top, and just bake until I can poke the fork easily in the pepper before it becomes mushy!

bethk likes this post

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum