Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chicken Khao Soi (Thai-inspired Chicken Soup)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Crybaby

Crybaby

Saw this on Bon Appetit's website via an email this morning. Sounded good. I love Thai-inspired meals, especially soup, but don't care for coconut milk, even the unsweetened. I can eat it but just don't enjoy it. So I looked up some substitutions and might just try this one day when I have nothing to do (hahaha)... I'm sure mine wouldn't look like this but it reminds me of something made and posted by Norm, which is probably why it sounded so delicious to me. It also could pass as styled by Imelda, too! You two put me to shame with the gorgeous way you serve the food you make.

The article with this recipe was by Elyse Inamine and said she has to have it when she's sick and makes it between naps -- first prepares the paste ingredients, then naps while the peppers soak. Then she blends the paste and put the soup together and naps again while the chicken cooks. Then she shreds the chicken, boils the noodles and gets the garnishes together. THEN she enjoys it. Made me REALLY want some but I think it was all those naps that appealed to me.... Embarassed  Embarassed  Razz  Razz

Chicken Khao Soi  (Thai-inspired Chicken Soup) Chicke10

Chicken Khao Soi
Serves 6 to 8. Recipe from BonAppetit.com/Northern Thai–inspired chicken soup

Khao Soi Paste:
4 large dried New Mexico or guajillo chiles, stemmed, halved, seeded
2 medium shallots, halved
8 garlic cloves
1 two-inch piece ginger, peeled, sliced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro stems
1 Tablespoon ground coriander
1 Tablespoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon curry powder
Soup:
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 14-oz. cans unsweetened coconut milk* [for substitutes]
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1-1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, halved lengthwise
1 lb. Chinese egg noodles
3 Tablespoons (or more) fish sauce (such as nam pla or nuoc nam)
1 Tablespoon (packed) palm sugar or light brown sugar
Kosher salt
Sliced red onion, bean sprouts, cilantro sprigs, crispy fried onions or shallots, chili oil, and lime wedges (for serving)

Khao Soi Paste:
1. Place chiles in a small heatproof bowl, add boiling water to cover, and let soak until softened, 25–30 minutes.
2. Drain chiles, reserving soaking liquid. Purée chiles, shallots, garlic, ginger, cilantro stems, coriander, turmeric, curry powder, and 2 Tablespoons soaking liquid in a food processor [I’d use a blender], adding more soaking liquid by tablespoonfuls, if needed, until smooth.
Soup:
1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add khao soi paste; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly darkened, 4–6 minutes. Add coconut milk and broth. Bring to a boil; add chicken. Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is fork-tender, 20–25 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool slightly; shred meat.
2. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to package directions.
3. Add chicken, 3 Tablespoons fish sauce, and sugar to soup. Season with salt or more fish sauce, if needed. Divide soup and noodles among bowls and serve with toppings.

* Substitutions for unsweetened coconut milk:

There are many creams you can use as a substitute for coconut milk, including heavy cream, half and half, and sour cream. Nut milks can be used, too.

**If you want to use heavy cream, replace 1 cup of coconut milk with 1 cup of heavy cream. The texture will be the same, and you’ll get a wonderful flavor for your dish.
**You can also use half and half and sour cream if you’re allergic to coconut. These two will deliver the same creaminess as coconut milk.
**You can even use low-fat cream cheese. For this recipe, use 1/2 cup of low-fat cream cheese and 1/2 cup of skim milk to substitute for 1 cup of coconut milk.
**Another popular option is to use 3/4 cup of condensed milk for 1 cup of coconut milk in your recipe [this would be too sweet for my tastes].

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum