Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LENTILS SOUP

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1LENTILS SOUP Empty LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:47 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I'm not sure where to put this thread  Question 

we bought dried Lentils .. I've never eaten them before.. I heard and read about them but never interested to try.. my DH saw the canned soup at the store, and wanted some of them, so we bought the dried ones.. it was the first time I saw them closely, they look like peas..

how do you guys usually cook them? as soup? do they need a long time to cook? I know I can always browse the net for the recipes, but it's better to get your favorite recipes
 LENTILS SOUP 3593629538

2LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

lentils are the same as split peas...I use them for soup. Some people don't like the peas or lentils because the color comes out "muddy"...but I don't mind.

I use to soak them overnight but now I just rinse and start to cook in my chicken stock with carrots, celery & onion. Another time I used smoked ham stock, made with smoked hocks and defatted, with bits of chopped ham added at the end. The last time I made the soup I saved some of the lentils to add about half way through the cooking so they stayed whole and didn't break down into mush. The soup had more texture.

I think when I cooked them, and it's been a long time, it took a good 45 minutes to 1 hour...but I think it depends upon the kind and size so just play it by ear and keep tasting until they are done to your taste.

3LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:09 am

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Beth.. are you staying up late?  Laughing 

4LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

sometimes I wake up and cannot go back to sleep....then I fall asleep....then I wake up again.....then back to sleep.

as long as the last thing I do is wake up, well, that means I'm OK....

lol

5LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:38 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

Lentils.. here is my take...... LENTILS SOUP 2363720550     LENTILS SOUP 411572088 right up there with kale,quinoa,broccolini,arugula,radicchio.

I do like split green peas tho.When I make my ham I will always make soup with them & leftover bits of ham & the bone.. To me they are 150% better then lentils. I bought one bag & used half then tossed out the bag. No matter how I made them. No No To each their own...

6LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:16 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I think they taste almost identical to split peas, sometimes I'll let them cook until just done, and not break down as I would for a soup. Good with braised ham shanks, always cooked with the carrot, celery & onion. They will also absorb many flavors of spices.

But, like you say, to each their own. I like kale, quinoa, broccolini, escarole (raw & cooked), etc.

I also think the small, French lentils cooked tender are good as an addition to a kale salad - hmmmm, now I'm thinking that should be my lunch really soon. Except Dane will be here in a couple days and he doesn't like it. But maybe I'll make some anyway. I use to find the little French brown or green lentils at Trader Joes. Somehow I don't think I'll have as much success finding them at the local Publix or Winn Dixie ~ they carry every other kind of dried bean, however. (even Norm's and my favorite mayacoba beans!)

7LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:09 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

thank you Beth.. so basically we cook them like soup and add whatever we want, right? no ham at home but I have some sausage to cook with

8LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I, too, love lentil soup, Imelda. And I also like kale, quinoa, broccolini, arugula and radicchio!!

You're going to love them. And, yep, they do remiind me of peas more than beans but they're one of my favorites! Speaking of peas, I made a big pot of crowder peas a couple months ago. They were delicious and the remainder is in the freezer just waiting for me!

9LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:04 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:thank you Beth.. so basically we cook them like soup and add whatever we want, right? no ham at home but I have some sausage to cook with

That's right, Imelda....just start tasting them about 30 minutes in to test for the texture YOU like. You can have them so they stay well formed and firm in a clear broth or you can let them cook until they break down completely....or, you can cook 1/2 of what you have and then after 30 or 40 minutes add the other half and your soup will have the first half cooked to mush by the time the second half are tender. It's all up to you.

Oh, and if you happen to have any kale or greens, add that, too. It's all good, especially with the smoked sausage.

10LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Crybaby, Beth.. thank you.. I have kale, baby spinach and some other veggies to add in..

it's ready, but we are going to eat it for supper after church.. we just had big late brunch.. I'm going to add my veggies just before I serve it.. for supper today I'll add some baby spinach in the hot soup.. Dirk was so happy when he saw me prepare it and he said he likes them soft..

I think this is soft enough.. oh.. I boiled them for a few minutes then I discarded the water.. add clean water to let it boiled.. then simmered for 45 minutes... I added sauteed onions, red bell pepper and smoked sausages at half way.. I added some homegrown parsley ( I was going to add cilantro but I ran out of them so I just went out to my backyard and cut bunch of parsley  Laughing 

LENTILS SOUP 43

11LENTILS SOUP Empty Re: LENTILS SOUP Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:09 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

WOW! Don't you just love it when a recipe or method of cooking something new to you turns out so well? I'll just bet it'll be a regular on your "comfort food" menu plan!

LENTILS SOUP 4137497845 LENTILS SOUP 4056093967 

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum