Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best Tomato Soup Ever

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Best Tomato Soup Ever Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:00 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

I made HALF of this recipe so don't forget the notes in brackets [] are my changes I made to HALF of this recipe...  

It's very, very good and very quick to put together.  Has tons of good reviews online on the Food Network site, too.  

Best Tomato Soup Ever
Recipe from Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman

1 medium white or yellow onion
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
Two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes [I used fire-roasted diced tomatoes]
One 46-ounce bottle or can tomato juice [I used V-8]
3 to 6 Tablespoons sugar [I used one Tablespoon]
1 or 2 Tablespoons chicken base, or 3 chicken bouillon cubes [I used 2 Tbls.]
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup sherry, optional [I used a generous 1/4 cup dry sherry]
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1. To begin, dice the onion. Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven. Throw in the onion and cook until translucent. [I seasoned here with black pepper]
2. Now dump in the diced tomatoes and stir to combine. Add the tomato juice.
3. Next - and this is important - in order to combat the acidity of the tomatoes add 3 to 6 Tablespoons of sugar. Now, you'll want to start on the low side, then taste and add more as needed. Some tomatoes and juice have more of an acidic bite than others. (For what it's worth, and I realize it's not worth much, I use 6 Tablespoons of sugar.) [I wasn't used to the acidity of tomatoes bothering us so I only used 1 Tbl. of sugar]
4. Next, add 1 or 2 Tablespoons chicken base to the pot. I added 3, and it wound up being a little too much. [I used 2 Tbls. Better Than Bouillon Low-Salt Chicken Base]
5. Now you can add lots of freshly ground black pepper. Stir to combine, then heat almost to a boil. Then turn off the heat.
6. Add in the sherry if desired. Stir in the cream. Add the basil and parsley and stir. [I used dry sherry and cut it to a generous 1/4 cup.]
7. Serve the soup warm!

2Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:10 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Hey Michelle,
I apologize, but I completely disagree with the title of this thread..

My mom made the best tomato soup EVER!!

It is a labor intensive soup, but it is sooooo good..

I am fortunate that my dad an I got the recipe down pat. I have not made it for a few years, but I still have the recipe...

You have to make your own stock, using soup bones, no broth, no basil, no tomato juice, no cream....

It is an old fashioned way of making it...

One time, as I was learning to make it, with my dad, I wrote down everything... all the steps...

3Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

You forgot to include the grilled cheese sandwich to go with it! LOL

4Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:03 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

cookingirl wrote:Hey Michelle,
I apologize, but I completely disagree with the title of this thread..

My mom made the best tomato soup EVER!!

It is a labor intensive soup, but it is sooooo good..

I am fortunate that my dad an I got the recipe down pat. I have not made it for a few years, but I still have the recipe...

You have to make your own stock, using soup bones, no broth, no basil, no tomato juice, no cream....

It is an old fashioned way of making it...

One time, as I was learning to make it, with my dad, I wrote down everything... all the steps...

Well, come on, Cyndi!  Give us the recipe.  Seriously, though, I didn't name this soup (I always use the "given name" of any recipes I've copied and posted so if people want to look up the original, they can).  I also note it if I haven't changed it.  But this recipe sure was seriously good considering it took less than 10 minutes to put together and contained only canned tomato items, nothing fresh except the herbs and the onion.  But as good and easy as it was, don't talk about your mom's and then give us nothing!  Can't wait to see it.

5Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:30 am

cookingirl

cookingirl

Ok Michelle, when I have time..I will pull out my recipes, and post it..

Beware though, you have to make stock from soup bones~ and skim all morning.. also use cheesecloth for the onion, bay leafs, and whole peppercorns...

Really old fashioned.. I guess you could just buy the stock, but it would not taste the same...

and it does use a tiny, tiny pinch of baking soda at the end of cooking, to reduce the acid.

I have not made it for years... perhaps I can decrease the amount and make a small batch for me?

6Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

This is the recipe we use:

Creamy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
Makes 7 cups
Ingredients:
1 ½ lbs Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 cups basil leaves, roughly chopped
2 tablespoons dried basil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups low sodium chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup heavy cream
garnish:
fried basil (I don't do this or use goat cheese)
goat cheese, crumbled.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Spread tomato halves onto a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Roast tomatoes for about 1 hour.
4. While tomatoes are in the oven, melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat.
5. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes.
6. Stir in the garlic and thyme and sauté for another 5 minutes.
7. Add crushed tomatoes, basils and sugar. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Stir the mixture and reduce the heat to medium or medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, covered.
9. Pour broth and roasted tomatoes into the pot. Season with salt and pepper.
10. Continue to simmer soup, covered, for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
11. Carefully pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth.
12. Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the cream until fully incorporated.
13. Simmer the soup for 3 minutes before ladling into bowls.
14. Top each soup with a sprinkle of goat cheese and fried basil and serve hot.

7Best Tomato Soup Ever Empty Re: Best Tomato Soup Ever Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:13 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster wrote:This is the recipe we use:

Creamy Roasted Tomato & Basil Soup
Makes 7 cups

That sounds like a delicious recipe, Bug, and one that I would like. But the amazing thing about the recipe I posted from the Pioneer Woman is it was so easy (just canned stuff, no fresh tomatoes) and took under 15 minutes to make! Brian thought I was kidding when I said it was ready. We both had some for lunch the next day and I finished it off yesterday for lunch when I found a container of it in the fridge. Amazing and still delicious.

I'm going to make another half batch up to use up the big jug of V8 I opened (and still have some V8 for a nice spicy Bloody Mary to go with it). We have some fontina in the fridge and some thick-sliced bacon, too. Brian said he would make some grilled cheese with the fontina and bacon to go along with a second batch of the soup. That would be a nice filling lunch today to go along with watching the Saints game, too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum