Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 12]

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, your roast was, indeed, beautiful! I can only imagine how much flavor that bacon imparted to the beef! Do you have any pictures of the cut meat? I'm curious about your filling and how that must have looked swirled inside.

Absolutely beautiful!

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Boy Oh Boy! ......always something as you said. The explanation, and description of the alley and the gate, painted such a great picture for me. Even the slide bolt to affix the gate in the closed position!

Question? ...... Why cannot they do the blood test just before the chemo procedure?     Or is it in another medical facility?

No, Jimmy, it's the same place (Tulane Medical Center) and normally, they do take his blood the same day as the chemo. But since both Christmas and New Year's Day is on Wednesday and I guess they're on the holiday schedule, he has to go on Monday for the blood work and then the next day for the quick oncologist visit before getting the chemo. The good thing is the blood work is quick so I don't even park the car in the garage. His doctors and staffers who work in the Cancer Ctr.  apologized for the inconvenience. Though it's a bit of a pain, it's something we can handle for two weeks.

I just stressed over the darn gas work, Jimmy, and needing to get the gate "handled" before it fell apart while I was trying to get it closed! Of course, the gas contractors worked Monday of last week and we haven't seen them since -- so the wood boards are in my alley and also in front of the gate over a big hole in the sidewalk. I guess they'll work tomorrow and then we won't see them until the following week! They're very nice to deal with though, thank goodness.

Plus I worried about whether the "gate guy" would do a good enough job and put enough "fixes" on the gate to keep it working and looking nicer than it did. He wasn't cheap but he came out to look/quote, went to Home Depot on his way home to get a fence board he needed (to replace one that was falling apart inside the gate) and then showed up the next morning as promised, worked til it was fixed, called me out to show me and then painted the darn thing. And his fixes included welding and having the right type of electric saw with him to trim the entire bottom of the gate without removing it. That had to be done to accommodate the gas guys pouring the concrete higher in front of the gate than it had been before "the dig up."

I feel bad for Brian, too, as you can tell he HATES being the one who has to have accommodations made for him using a walker and being so unsteady on his feet. He usually keeps his sense of humor but I know how he hates it. Almost as much as he hates my having to take out the garbage and take the big garbage container and the big recycle containers in and out of the alley. I laugh and tell him how I now appreciate him doing that for 40 freaking years without complaining as it's no easy task. I'm going to apply to get smaller cans delivered by the garbage company as I know they have them for neighborhoods where people either don't have an alley or their alley is too skinny for the big cans. Older people (like me I must now admit) can also get the smaller cans since they're easier to deal with...

Last edited by Crybaby on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I made panko crusted chicken nuggets, fried smashed baby potatoes & red beets.

When Dane & Jim were FINALLY out of the traffic jam I talked to them and asked Jim if he wanted to come for a week night dinner.  He was more than happy to say, "Yes".

It wasn't anything special but it was better than going out for fast food.

That was so nice of you, Beth, as I'm sure they were both aggravated AND hungry when they finally got home.

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Wow! That came out beautifully Imelda.
My mom always made the eye round roast. She would make knife slits, and shove a whole garlic spear into the slit with her finger.
She would sear the roast in her cast iron pan, and then finish off in the pressure cooker for like 25 minutes at 5 psi steam pressure.

We make them by just salting and pepper, on the electric rotisserie for around 2.5 - 3.0 hours at 350 degrees. I slice it thin on the meat slicer. ( 2mm thick ) and serve it on buns just like Roy Rogers beef sandwiches. I make or buy extra beef juice to splash on the beef, or to dip it in. Oh so good!

Sounds delicious, Jimmy! I had a inexpensive meat slicer for a while -- not like the nice one you have -- and I loved using it until it broke. Brian used to smoke eye of round roasts and we'd use that for sliced roast beef. I never liked eye of round very much growing up; my father would roast one in the oven but I always found them on the dry side. But when we decided to smoke one many moons ago, we both really liked it that way. You can easily make an au jus sauce to go with the sliced meat, too. Love to make a horseradish sauce with mayo, bottled horseradish and some sour cream (or Greek yogurt) -- nothing flatters roast beef more than horseradish IMO.

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Imelda, your roast was, indeed, beautiful!  I can only imagine how much flavor that bacon imparted to the beef!  Do you have any pictures of the cut meat?  I'm curious about your filling and how that must have looked swirled inside.

Absolutely beautiful!

DITTO from me, too, Imelda! I'd love to see a photo of your roast cut as well! See how much we MISSED you?!!!

Crybaby

Crybaby

Recently Brian and I got into a discussion of Patty Melts! I never really had one nor did I really know what constituted a Patty Melt. There's been some fast food place advertising a type of patty melt on TV and my friend Linda was busy eating a Patty Melt when her picking me up after a medical procedure was delayed. So Brian, Linda and I got into a discussion of what constituted a good patty melt, assisted by Google of course.

They both said it had to be on rye bread, have sliced American cheese (some recipes called for different types of cheese, some even two kinds of cheese) on BOTH sides of the hamburger patty, caramelized onions and something resembling thousand island dressing. Oh, yeah, and it had to be "grilled" like a grilled cheese.

Well, I got all the stuff to make them and set off to do so. I made the caramelized onions in the oven per a recent recipe find a day ahead, and made some homemade thousand island right when I needed it. Now, keep in mind I'd never had one before and Brian was expecting a lot. The Patty Melts turned out great and we both enjoyed them. Brian said it was the best one he'd ever had but he might've been laying it on thick. I think I could make them better next time, too.

Most of all, I loved making the caramelized onions in the oven, just stirring them once every 15 minutes. Supposed to take 45 mins. but I cooked them for an hour instead. When I came back to them, they'd turned a lot darker than they'd been when I first turned the oven off. So much easier than stirring forever on top of the stove!

I had my friend Linda, who like Brian, adores Patty Melts, drooling. She said she's coming over next time I make them!

Anybody else like Patty Melts? Razz Razz

Crybaby

Crybaby

Caramelized Onions (Made in the Oven)
Yield: 2 cups/ Nearly as good as stovetop/ Recipe from thecookful.com
These onions were nearly indistinguishable from the stovetop onions in both appearance and flavor, and also required less babysitting.

2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 to 3 onions, cut in half pole to pole, then sliced 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick
1/4 cup red or white wine, beer, broth, balsamic vinegar, or water for deglazing
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Combine the oil and onions in a nonstick Dutch oven [spray with Pam]. Cover the Dutch oven with a lid. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes, until the onions are deep brown in color.
Remove the pan from the oven, add the deglazing liquid, and quickly scrape up the fond from the bottom and sides of the pan. Season with salt and pepper.

Note from Michelle: I ended up cooking mine for 60 minutes; when I came back after the onions had cooled, they were appreciably darker than they were when first taken off the heat. So they might not have needed the extra 15 minutes in the oven, though it sure didn't hurt.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Michelle - caramelized onions are so good on so many things!

Bugs does a slow cooker variety overnight, I think.

One note ~ I've read (and experienced) you should make caramelized onions from the yellow Spanish onions (the cheap ones at the grocery store). The Vidalia variety, or other sweet varieties have too much water and never get the color you hope to have, turning to mush instead.

When I made the 'fried' shallots (before Imelda cued me in to purchasing them in a jar.....) I know I had to take my shallots out of the pan just as they were starting to turn light golden. Otherwise the carry over heat in the shallots themselves turned them black within a minute of being put on paper towels.

And you did, indeed, make a classic patty melt. In Ohio they were on every diner menu. I personally think the smushed, griddle cooked burger patty is key. Sometimes they would put American on one side and Swiss on the other (but I cannot say how that might taste.....LOL). And it has to be rye bread, to be sure! OK, maybe another really sturdy bakery bread, but never, NEVER a Wonder White Bread that's mushy.

There's another burger you might like to try ~ maybe an Oklahoma burger?? I've seen it a couple different ways. The most interesting to me was where a ball of burger was pressed into thinly sliced raw onions and then the burger was cooked on a griddle, onion side down and smashed like you would a flat-top griddled diner burger. The onions should be nicely browned when you turn the burger to finish it off. It, too, gets TWO slices of American cheese (not for me, thank you very much) and is served with pickles.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Supper tonight was a pan fried chicken breast, leftover collards and some roasted carrots & parsnips. It never ceases to amaze me how very sweet carrots & parsnips are when they roast. I just toss them in a bit of olive oil and spread on a foil covered sheet pan, sprinkle with s&p and roast at 450° for about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice. When they have just a bit of color, they're done.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 11 12_29_12

The birthday party was a complete surprise for Bill, even to the point when he walked in the house after picking up all the food from different places Lyn had ordered (she ordered meat/cheese/salads from the Deli and fruit & veg trays from Publix) he had no clue it might be a birthday surprise for HIM. She had printed off signs with "Happy Birthday, Bill!" and put them around the room and we had a Birthday Banner hanging.

But he had a good time and everyone there wished him well.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 11 12_28_11

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Crybaby wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Boy Oh Boy! ......always something as you said. The explanation, and description of the alley and the gate, painted such a great picture for me. Even the slide bolt to affix the gate in the closed position!

Question? ...... Why cannot they do the blood test just before the chemo procedure?     Or is it in another medical facility?

No, Jimmy, it's the same place (Tulane Medical Center) and normally, they do take his blood the same day as the chemo. But since both Christmas and New Year's Day is on Wednesday and I guess they're on the holiday schedule, he has to go on Monday for the blood work and then the next day for the quick oncologist visit before getting the chemo. The good thing is the blood work is quick so I don't even park the car in the garage. His doctors and staffers who work in the Cancer Ctr.  apologized for the inconvenience. Though it's a bit of a pain, it's something we can handle for two weeks.

I just stressed over the darn gas work, Jimmy, and needing to get the gate "handled" before it fell apart while I was trying to get it closed! Of course, the gas contractors worked Monday of last week and we haven't seen them since -- so the wood boards are in my alley and also in front of the gate over a big hole in the sidewalk. I guess they'll work tomorrow and then we won't see them until the following week! They're very nice to deal with though, thank goodness.

Plus I worried about whether the "gate guy" would do a good enough job and put enough "fixes" on the gate to keep it working and looking nicer than it did. He wasn't cheap but he came out to look/quote, went to Home Depot on his way home to get a fence board he needed (to replace one that was falling apart inside the gate) and then showed up the next morning as promised, worked til it was fixed, called me out to show me and then painted the darn thing. And his fixes included welding and having the right type of electric saw with him to trim the entire bottom of the gate without removing it. That had to be done to accommodate the gas guys pouring the concrete higher in front of the gate than it had been before "the dig up."

I feel bad for Brian, too, as you can tell he HATES being the one who has to have accommodations made for him using a walker and being so unsteady on his feet. He usually keeps his sense of humor but I know how he hates it. Almost as much as he hates my having to take out the garbage and take the big garbage container and the big recycle containers in and out of the alley. I laugh and tell him how I now appreciate him doing that for 40 freaking years without complaining as it's no easy task. I'm going to apply to get smaller cans delivered by the garbage company as I know they have them for neighborhoods where people either don't have an alley or their alley is too skinny for the big cans. Older people (like me I must now admit) can also get the smaller cans since they're easier to deal with...

I don't mean to be on the negative side, but my heart aches reading this. I hope my prayers and thoughts of you and Brian helps!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It was a birthday celebration dinner tonight. GD Meranda's 27th today.

DIL made fried rice and chicken and veggies in separate casserole dishes.
We then had a Carvel Ice cream cake. Good! .....
GD wanted my homemade pizza, but she asked last night. I told her to give me at least 2 days notice. I need time to get all the cheeses and toppings at the store.
I told her to take a rain check on that. Pizza some other time!

bethk

bethk
Admin

We just got a call from neighbor, Jim. He asked if we wanted to go to a 'new' restaurant tonight ~ his treat. It's a 'chain' restaurant I've been to at another location and it's got an extensive 'American' menu. Sounds like a good plan to me.

The a/c repair man just left. I had to call them a couple weeks ago because our a/c wasn't cooling. We got a new unit about 5 years ago and it turns out the coil was shot ~ had to order a new one. The tech came on Thursday and put in the new coil and everything was cool. That is, until FRIDAY~~~Aaaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh~~~as soon as it got up to 76° in the house I called the repair and said I needed someone. No one available until MONDAY! So, I've been hot and cranky ever since. They sent another tech, a Lennox company repairman. The new coil they installed has failed. It has a gigantic leak.

So, this tech tells us it'll be NEXT MONDAY before they can get a different coil ~ a 'new generation' aluminum coil that's amazing (he says) and won't have any problems, will be under warranty until 2024.....yeah, whatever. That doesn't cool me off NOW. That doesn't get rid of the humidity (which feels like 110%) NOW.

I know it's not his fault but I just wanted to punch him.

But I didn't.

But I wanted to......

((sigh))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

What a kick in the @$$ that is. Pretty sad that the evap coil isn't under a longer warranty.
Sounds like a manufacturing defect on that coil.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Oh, it was covered under the warranty ~ ~ but it failed. I think the tech today was trying to reassure us we would have another 5 years (which would be 10 years warrantied parts) since we were getting a replacement coil. We were only charged for labor on the last one....oh and for the freon or whatever that stuff is that they put in to cool.

Since the first replacement coil failed and leaked all that stuff I'm NOT paying for it again. They can just put in a claim with Lennox to get reimbursed for the second fill-up.

NormM

NormM

Planned obsolescence. A while back I read where original early light bulbs were lasting so long that makers were having trouble staying in business. There was one in a firehouse known to have been on continually for 30 years. So the bulb makers had a conference in Europe. They said it was to set uniform quality and standards. What they did was set standards so all light bulbs only had about a 2000 hour life.

Not long ago my dish washer needed repair. The serviceman said mine was one of the last ones that company made to last a long long time. It needed a new valve that was damaged by dishwashing detergent solidifying inside it. He said that Finish Jet Dry did an excellent job of cleaning the dishes; was easier on the dishwasher and to use only a very little Cascade and get the hot water running out of the faucet just before turning on the dishwasher so it would dissolve and not turn to rock hard gunk.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

There are tsb ( Tech Service Bulletins ) for just about everything out there.
Especially with cars.
Everything mechanical has those factory secrets. We don't hear about them until it's too late.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Supper was pizza that Tina mommy picked up from her shopping spree in PA today.
Plus.... Krispy Kreme doughnuts for dessert.

bethk

bethk
Admin

We made a big mistake timing our dinner out.....we had decided to go at 5:00 ~ apparently the time EVERY OTHER GROUP decided to go to 'beat the crowds'......

they were stacked 20 deep at the 'new' restaurant, they were stacked 30 deep at the steakhouse, so we ended up at the Bamboo Bistro for Chinese. The food is very good there so it wasn't a huge let down. But by the time our meal arrived there was a line out the door there, too.

Question: WHY do people bring young children to a Chinese/sushi restaurant and order sushi for the youngsters? "EWWWWW ~ gross!" ~ ~ "I DON'T LIKE THIS!!!" ~ ~ "Can I just have rice?"

I mean, quite honestly, I agree with the kids. I don't like sushi. I'm an old Ohio farm girl. We didn't eat bait ~ we fished with it...... But I think these young parents want to expose their children to a wide variety of dishes to train their palate. But I really don't think Grandma & Grandpa were all that happy with a couple of whiners that were being pushed to try something new and so unfamiliar. Just give the kid a bowl of won ton soup and some rice to play with by trying to eat it with chopsticks.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:We made a big mistake timing our dinner out.....we had decided to go at 5:00 ~ apparently the time EVERY OTHER GROUP decided to go to 'beat the crowds'......

they were stacked 20 deep at the 'new' restaurant, they were stacked 30 deep at the steakhouse, so we ended up at the Bamboo Bistro for Chinese.  The food is very good there so it wasn't a huge let down.  But by the time our meal arrived there was a line out the door there, too.

Question:  WHY do people bring young children to a Chinese/sushi restaurant and order sushi for the youngsters?  "EWWWWW ~ gross!" ~ ~ "I DON'T LIKE THIS!!!" ~ ~ "Can I just have rice?"

I mean, quite honestly, I agree with the kids.  I don't like sushi.  I'm an old Ohio farm girl.  We didn't eat bait ~ we fished with it......  But I think these young parents want to expose their children to a wide variety of dishes to train their palate.  But I really don't think Grandma & Grandpa were all that happy with a couple of whiners that were being pushed to try something new and so unfamiliar.  Just give the kid a bowl of won ton soup and some rice to play with by trying to eat it with chopsticks.  
DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 11 2876911673 DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 11 2876911673
In the schools system, the kids get served veggie dishes, and all healthy foods like tofu burgers / etc. Guess what? 90% of it goes into the slop buckets; because the kids don't like it. They then eat what they pack in their backpacks.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Rather than starting a thread for What are your plans for New years eve / New years day meals cooking , serving ????
I will place it here in this threads posts!

DD will make taco meat mix, and so we can scoop out with those corn chips.
Maybe a cheese platter, and pepperoni and salami.

We watch the tv .... sip on wine ...( just a little for me; because of the medications I take ).
The Ms. Tina peters out on the recliner around 10 pm. Haaaa
I wake her up when the clock strikes 12:00 am. Give her a kiss ( one on the lip ), and wish her a happy new year.
Kids and friends and family call on the phones and we all give wishes for a happy new
year! ..... "The End"
################################################

Start of the new year, we are having a small pork loin. We like it with the spiced red apple slices. There will be stuffing that we froze in small portions from Christmas dinner. Vegetables Whatever we have. I like carrot coins.
We are just having a quiet day. No screaming kids running around. Just Maria, and Lenny, me, and Tina.....

bethk

bethk
Admin

We're having a pork tenderloin tonight and I have bean soup planned for New Year's Day.

In the past I've done the pork, greens & beans (or peas, as they're called here in the South) but this year I'll be combining it all in a nice bowl of soup. I may just add some sliced kale to the bean soup just in case I don't want to temp fate to take my fortune for skipping, even though the beans also represent coins.

Can't afford to take any chances, that's for sure.

NormM

NormM

Beth, I am doing the same thing.. Ham and navy bean soup with some pork sausage and chopped collards added in. And a few mushrooms for fun. Price Chopper and Hen House both used to have big, meaty ham hocks. Now they both have something they call pork hocks which is not cured ham and in reality is just bone, skin and fat with a bite of two (if you take small bites) of pork. I am also making a chip dip with black eyed peas that we have had once in the past and liked.

Bugster2

Bugster2

The only hocks around here are smoked and they taste like chemicals. There is a meat market in the area that I have not visitedyet. Perhaps they have some. There might be some at a Mexican market but I don't know if they are cured, smoked or what.

I don't know what is for dinner tonight. Tomorrow we will watch the parade, remember when we were in the parade, slept on the parade route, remembering when we lived directly on the route and could walk right outside our door and see the floats and the clydsdale horses and the bands. Those horses seemed to be at least a story tall. They even came with their own &hit shoveler to keep the street clean. Wouldn't matter if they had one or not - after the parade the streets have so much trash, no one would notice horse poop. Pasadena is really amazing cleaning up the streets. It is all clean by the end of the day and it is hundreds of tons of trash. People used to bring couches but the city had enough and now they have patrols on the route that will haul away your furniture if you dare bring any.

NormM

NormM

Not too long ago there was an article that mentioned Kansas City before cars. Everyone who didn't walk, had a horse and the amount of horse poop in the streets per day amounted to several tons and you can imagine the aroma around town. When I was young, the street car went from KCK to KCMo on a bridge over the stock yards and the smell from that was horrible. I imagine horse poop was almost as bad, but more spread out.

I also read that when KCMo had its first car crash between two cars, there were only two cars in Kansas City at the time.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well, I've already poured my simmering bean soup from a Dutch oven pot to a stock pot.  I have the kale chopped and ready to add at the end.  I also have a couple cans of Great Northern Beans to add, with the liquid, for the last 30 minutes of simmering to add that viscous-ness that we like.  The stock is what I had in the freezer.

I usually add some chili powder at some point but will have to make do with something else since I've already emptied my spices from the pantry and they're in a box in the garage attic.  Whatever gets added will be fine, I'm sure, especially since I never make soup the same twice.  I had some chopped ham (the packaged stuff) to add in so there's some real meat in the end resulting soup.  Dane wasn't all that happy that the last pot of 15-Bean Soup I made got gifted to some neighbors.  This time it will be packaged up and frozen so he can have it whenever the mood strikes his fancy.

Woo Hoo! My spices AREN'T in the attic.  They're in a drawer-type plastic storage container on top of a garage storage cabinet.....where I can get to it.  Dane must have figured I'd need something and he wouldn't want to drag stuff down for me.  He's pretty clever when he puts his mind to it.......LOL

I just tasted a couple of the beans ~ they're still crunchy. That's my favorite way to taste them. It's like macaroni.....I like to eat it when it's still got a little bit of crunch. Strange ~ but true!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum