Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month??

+3
Bugster2
Cookin Lore
UNCLE JIMMY
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks jimmy. Very tired today. I guess it is from the infection. We couldn't find any wound source which is strange. Starting to take the script and I will see how it goes.

Tonight is meatloaf, mashed potatoes and corn.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Dane was thrilled with Jimmy's suggestion of fish for supper.....grouper ~ panko pan fried on the grill.

I heat up a cast iron skillet on the stove top and then take it out to the gas grill, which is preheated on high. The skillet sits for a few minutes to acclimate and then the fish is added....sizzles right away. The fish was slathered with Hellmann's Mayo & then sprinkled with plain panko bread flakes and allowed to sit for about 15 minutes to let the moisture from the mayo adhere the panko to the fish. I check the fish with my Thermapen and temp it to 145° to know it's done ~ salmon a bit less because he likes it about medium.

I made the smashed fried potatoes again ~ I've got about 2 or 3 more meals, I only steam enough for the two of us because I don't want leftovers or too much to eat ~ I think I had 5 baby potatoes and HE had probably 7 or 8. (they're the size of big marbles....)

The carrots were selected because I couldn't find any other fresh veg that looked good and I wanted something colorful on my plate.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 2 12_03_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:Thanks jimmy. Very tired today. I guess it is from the infection. We couldn't find any wound source which is strange. Starting to take the script and I will see how it goes.

Boy, if it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all......

How awful! I sure hope the meds work and you start feeling back to your old self.

Bugster2

Bugster2

Thanks Beth. this one came out of nowhere.

I am watching "Humoresque" right now on TCM. The violin is exquisite. I watch it everytime is comes on.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tomato Bisque Soup with crackers and cheese bites.
DD made stew with beef chuck. They ate that.
Just lowering the work on the stomach for a few days.

Cookin Lore

I bought my first ever steak and mushroom pie today. (Individual one) So, I'll see how it tastes.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I asked Dane what he wanted for supper......after 15 minutes he came up with a suggestion of tacos.

OK, easy enough.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 2 12_04_10

Bugster2

Bugster2

[quote="Cookin Lore"]I bought my first ever steak and mushroom pie today. (Individual one)  So, I'll see how it tastes. [/quote

That sounds really good! What never appealed to me is a steak and kidney pie.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I was so busy these few days, I don't know why I did it, last Sunday I had an idea to do fundraising for my church, it needs money for bathroom renovation, they have been doing the fiesta for 5 years to get money for this cause, but still not enough, so I impulsively asked my friends on FB, I put up a status that I was going to sell Pineapple cookies online, all the money I got would go to my church, little that I knew, in 2 hours I got more than a dozen orders, oh my, I had to stop taking order immediately because it will take a lot of time make them, so from Monday to today I was busy baking, I got half done already, still halfway to go. I'm so grateful I have many generous friends, some of them I have never met yet, we met online and become friends since more than a decade ago.

I did not really cook, I recooked leftover in my fridge, no objection from Dirk, but today I decided to cook real food, this morning I had about 2 lbs of lean ground beef, thawed, I browned them, added 1 whole chopped onion, cooked until done, I divided them in 3 portions, a small portion for my yam mie ( Chinese style noodles), I added chili peppers and taco seasoning to one of them, for taco or wraps for Dirk lunch later, the largest one, I added some tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, parsley for spaghetti.

Tomorrow dinner will be either taco or burrito with taco meat

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 2 78353310

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I asked Dane what he wanted for supper......after 15 minutes he came up with a suggestion of tacos.

OK, easy enough.  

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 2 12_04_10

Great Idea! ....

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I was so busy these few days, I don't know why I did it, last Sunday I had an idea to do fundraising for my church, it needs money for bathroom renovation, they have been doing the fiesta for 5 years to get money for this cause, but still not enough, so I impulsively asked my friends on FB, I put up a status that I was going to sell Pineapple cookies online, all the money I got would go to my church, little that I knew, in 2 hours I got more than a dozen orders, oh my, I had to stop taking order immediately because it will take a lot of time make them, so from Monday to today I was busy baking, I got half done already, still halfway to go. I'm so grateful I have many generous friends, some of them I have never met yet, we met online and become friends since more than a decade ago.

I did not really cook, I recooked leftover in my fridge, no objection from Dirk, but today I decided to cook real food, this morning I had about 2 lbs of lean ground beef, thawed, I browned them, added 1 whole chopped onion, cooked until done, I divided them in 3 portions, a small portion for my yam mie ( Chinese style noodles), I added chili peppers and taco seasoning to one of them, for taco or wraps for Dirk lunch later, the largest one, I added some tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, parsley for spaghetti.

Looks mighty good Imelda.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Today was ravioli with meat filling, and eggplant rollatini.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:I was so busy these few days, I don't know why I did it, last Sunday I had an idea to do fundraising for my church, it needs money for bathroom renovation, they have been doing the fiesta for 5 years to get money for this cause, but still not enough, so I impulsively asked my friends on FB, I put up a status that I was going to sell Pineapple cookies online, all the money I got would go to my church, little that I knew, in 2 hours I got more than a dozen orders, oh my, I had to stop taking order immediately because it will take a lot of time make them, so from Monday to today I was busy baking, I got half done already, still halfway to go. I'm so grateful I have many generous friends, some of them I have never met yet, we met online and become friends since more than a decade ago.

Your food is beyond beautiful, Imelda. You have such a talent to make everything look tastefully arranged and fresh.

How generous of you to think of making your Pineapple Cookies to help the cause at your church. But aren't the cookies extremely labor intensive and take a long time to make?

I'm sure your friends jumped at the chance to get a taste of those beautiful cookies!

Maybe you should have offered a "do-it-yourself-rice" fundraiser and you could have mailed them each a bag of dry rice and instructed them to add a cup of water.....

Cookin Lore

Bugster2 wrote:
Cookin Lore wrote:I bought my first ever steak and mushroom pie today. (Individual one)  So, I'll see how it tastes. [/quote

That sounds really good! What never appealed to me is a steak and kidney pie.

Pie was really good and something I will never make for myself.

I was looking at the tacos............. I love all the stuff that go into/onto tacos, but not the corn chips or wraps. Sometimes in a restaurant they are willing to put all the taco toppings on a bed of lettuce for me. Love that, especially if they have beans!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A square meal on a week day? Hmmmm!
Usually it's like soup, or spaghetti....etc. But a veggie, and breaded fried steak and pork center cut chops? It's rare.

DECEMBER 2019, What's cooking this month?? - Page 2 Img_1647

Bugster2

Bugster2

A square meal is rare for us too on a weekday. Joe now has to eat no later than 4pm or his dinner gets him up in the middle of the night. Joe over-eats and it is the wrong things. He got up at 2am last night after a meal of two ham sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy, candy bars and cashews. I sat up with him and got two hours of sleep.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:A square meal is rare for us too on a weekday. Joe now has to eat no later than 4pm or his dinner gets him up in the middle of the night. Joe over-eats and it is the wrong things. He got up at 2am last night after a meal of two ham sandwiches, mashed potatoes and gravy, candy bars and cashews. I sat up with him and got two hours of sleep.

I do that sometimes. If I eat after 5, and especially meat, I'm up all night with mylanta and tums. Tina. Forget her. She is always sick after eating. No
What helps us, is chewable Super papaya Enzymes from puritan pride.
I chew 3 before the meal, and 2 after the meal, and it digests the food faster. That's why many of the europeans eat fruit before and after big meals.
The pectins in the fruit, helps with digestion issues, and especially after 40.

bethk

bethk
Admin

No cooking on Thursday.....it was Dane's golf scrambles so we went out with the group after golf for a late lunch. It's really great that we have so many good, inexpensive places to go to. This time it was one of the country clubs. I had a salad with mixed greens, grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, blueberries, red onion and toasted pecans ~ comes with a nice cider vinegar dressing. By the time we have a 'big' meal at 2:00 ~ 3:00 we're done eating for the day. I did have a dish of yogurt about 7:00 but it sounded good and I wanted something with some protein.

I have to go rummage through the freezer ~ I'm clueless about supper tonight. There's got to be something in there that will sound good to me.

NormM

NormM

When I set a time for family to come over for dinner, that is the time it is ready to eat. If they come earlier, I don't mind but the seldom do. I host it every four years. The other families take turns. When Linda set a time for dinner, we usually have to wait a while before we all sit down. Her son and daughter have two Thanksgiving dinners, one with us and one with their other family. Sometimes it takes some doing to get it all coordinated. Her daughter meets with her husbands family later in the day so they had to eat as soon as they could. They all stayed for two or three hours afterward but they left sooner than the others.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

Bugster2

Bugster2

My MIL would set a time for dinner and we would all arrive around that time except for Joe's brother who would show up 3 hours later because he was out jogging and then would have to take a shower. She would make us all wait for him. It drove me nuts. I don't think that way. If I know he is out jogging, I would serve dinner without him.

Cookin Lore

I generally say "come any time after.....whatever, but dinner is at"  I don't mind if people come early, I have snacks and drinks ready. It gives me some time to talk to people.   I don't need or want help in cooking, but am always happy to have help in putting things on the table.  My dinners/parties are not very "structured".

PS.................... My sister-in-law used to be notoriously late. Sorry, we don't wait for anyone in my house. Waiting for the late one is telling the ones who were on time that they are not important. Not gonna happen if I'm in charge.

Don't tell me about traffic or any other crap.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I remember many, MANY years ago. Easter was at Mom & Dad's ~ the girls were babies. My older brother was in the Air Force and he and his pregnant wife and 1st born son were there for the holiday. Well, brother Chuck had gone to play golf in the morning and didn't make it back in time for dinner at 1:00. After we ate my sister-in-law, Ann, was FURIOUS. She took his place setting off the table and put it back in the kitchen cabinets.

When Chuck strolled in about 2:30 (there was a back up at the course and they didn't get to tee off when they had hoped.....) he got told dinner was over and he had MISSED OUT!!!

No sooner had she lectured him and Mom & Grandma hustled around the kitchen, pulled out all the leftovers, made him a nice full plate and warmed it in the microwave for him as he poured himself a glass of wine.

I never saw a pregnant woman's face turn that shade of red before..........(I thought she was going to explode!)

But, hey, he was the oldest, he didn't get to play golf that often and it had been years since he had seen his college chums. Mom & Grandma didn't care if he was late.

and to be quite honest, it was kind of nice for the rest of us to have a nice quiet meal without 'her' talking non-stop through out the meal......

LOL

bethk

bethk
Admin

For whatever reason (I think there was an update done on my phone.....) I am unable to email photos to myself like I always do to download to my computer to post here.

Maybe it'll work itself out in a day or two.....I don't know.

But, anyway, no pics......

I made baby back ribs in the oven. I halved and steamed the last of the baby potatoes, Dane picked another bunch of green beans (yum!) and I shaved the leftover Brussels sprouts that I had purchased for Thanksgiving. I had seen a recipe on Barefoot Contessa ~ she sliced the sprouts, quickly sauteed in oil & butter and added some pancetta and a little drizzle of thin basalmic just before serving. They were pretty good.

The ribs got 'steamed' in a foil covered sheet pan with a bit of Coca Cola. After an hour at 325° I sliced into single ribs and brushed on some homemade Kalbi marinade/glaze. It was just enough to seal the meat and give it the slightest bit of sweetness/soy taste.

The beans were fabulous. The potatoes were super tender and melted in your mouth.

Jeanie called to ask if I could use some extra eggs at 4:30 and I turned her down because I've got a dozen & a half in the refrigerator right now. But I did show her Norm's recipe for ham/egg salad. And as long as she was thinking about making egg salad sandwiches for her supper I asked her if she'd like to join us for ribs, potatoes, beans & Brussels sprouts instead.

She was here before 5:00! LOL

Bugster2

Bugster2

Eggs Benedict tonight.

I got some digestive enzymes at Sprouts for Joe. Thanks for the head's up about Tina using them, Jimmy.

I made pecan pie muffins today. New recipe and they are almost gone. I ate one, Joe ate one and Katie has had three. They were really good and so easy.

We are going to watch the new Mrs. Maisel tonight.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:My MIL would set a time for dinner and we would all arrive around that time except for Joe's brother who would show up 3 hours later because he was out jogging and then would have to take a shower. She would make us all wait for him. It drove me nuts. I don't think that way. If I know he is out jogging, I would serve dinner without him.

I'm the same way as you Deb. I could see if the guy was at work, and came home for dinner; that's a different story.
Tina's brother on the other hand, is always late.We tell him dinner is at 4; just to get him here for the real time for dinner at 5. Evil or Very Mad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum