Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.

+4
Crybaby
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 4]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:This was in the paper yesterday, Nov. 28 2019. Look at the date they have in the ad.  Thanksgiving 2017.THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 4 20191116

Thinking about articles in the paper, there was a flash dropdown on the comcast webpage, and it was for a guided tour and visit in the Strawberry Hill area near KCK. I remembered the mention on one of your posts about living there as a younger kid. Am I right, or am I dreaming about that?

Yes I grew up on Strawberry Hill. The ad was probably for the Museum there. It is in a building that used to be a Catholic church and orphanage.  I lived several blocks south of there.  Both the church and my apt. are very close to the bluffs above the Kansas river and the hillside there had wild strawberries growing on it, hence the name.  

This is the advertisement they sent to my home page.

https://www.strawberryhill.com/

NormM

NormM

That is Strawberry Hill bakery where you can get povitica bread. Ironically, it isn't at Strawberry Hill anymore, if it ever was.

This is what I thought you saw. They have a schedule for tours.
http://www.kansastravel.org/strawberryhillmuseum.htm

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:That is Strawberry Hill bakery where you can get povitica bread. Ironically, it isn't at Strawberry Hill anymore, if it ever was.

This is what I thought you saw.  They have a schedule for tours.
http://www.kansastravel.org/strawberryhillmuseum.htm

Yeah!.... that was one they listed also. It was a convent or something a while ago..so It said...?

NormM

NormM

The nuns had rooms there but I don't think it was called a convent.  It was also an orphanage for a while too. I moved away from the area in 1956 and only visited the museum once after it opened.  There is a chapel there that is big enough to be called a church but St. Francis church building is also on the same block.  It is in 700 block of 4th and I lived in the 500 block on 6th. I lived across the street from Holy Family Catholic church. Strange how many churches were in a relatively small area.  Both families across the alley were Catholic and both of them went to still another church.  There is more info. from one of the sites:

Built in 1887 on a hillside in the aptly named Strawberry Hill neighborhood of downtown Kansas City, Kan., the museum was once the home of John and Mary Scroggs. The property, considered to be the most outstanding example of Queen Anne style architecture in the area, was occupied by the family for 32 years. Following an influenza epidemic and sale of the Scroggs family home, the Sisters of St. Francis of Christ the King purchased the house in 1919, with plans to open a local orphanage for children of abandoned by the raging illness. Closed in 1988 due to “changing social needs,” the property was then acquired by the Strawberry Hill Ethnic Cultural Society, a group of residents, including leader Msgr. John W. Horvat, who feared that the home would be destroyed. Today, the Strawberry Hill Museum is a testament to the people of the Kansas City, Kan., neighborhood and their proud ethnic heritage.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:The nuns had rooms there but I don't think it was called a convent.  It was also an orphanage for a while too. I moved away from the area in 1956 and only visited the museum once after it opened.  There is a chapel there that is big enough to be called a church but St. Francis church building is also on the same block.  It is in 700 block of 4th and I lived in the 500 block on 6th. I lived across the street from Holy Family Catholic church. Strange how many churches were in a relatively small area.  Both families across the alley were Catholic and both of them went to still another church.  There is more info. from one of the sites:

Built in 1887 on a hillside in the aptly named Strawberry Hill neighborhood of downtown Kansas City, Kan., the museum was once the home of John and Mary Scroggs. The property, considered to be the most outstanding example of Queen Anne style architecture in the area, was occupied by the family for 32 years. Following an influenza epidemic and sale of the Scroggs family home, the Sisters of St. Francis of Christ the King purchased the house in 1919, with plans to open a local orphanage for children of abandoned by the raging illness. Closed in 1988 due to “changing social needs,” the property was then acquired by the Strawberry Hill Ethnic Cultural Society, a group of residents, including leader Msgr. John W. Horvat, who feared that the home would be destroyed. Today, the Strawberry Hill Museum is a testament to the people of the Kansas City, Kan., neighborhood and their proud ethnic heritage.

That's great Norm. I love reading about old places.

NormM

NormM

I was looking at a map of where I lived while wondering about why there were at least 3 churches close to each other when I noticed that there were two grocery stores within a block of each other and three bars on the block and a half across the street.  Nothing like connivance, I guess.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Beth, I hadn't read the Thanksgiving thread until just now and was sorry to read about your stewing chicken problem. But your meal looked great anyway! At least you had plenty of sides AND dessert, though, so I'm sure you two got filled up.

I was surprised you didn't have Jeanie and Jim for the holiday but perhaps they had family in town who cooked for Jim or for whom Jeanie cooked. I know the feeling about being glad you didn't have company when that stewing chicken made an appearance! I gather the white meat wasn't edible either?

Like I said earlier, I wouldn't have tried starting the turkey breast down yesterday if I'd been expecting guests but I was still ticked off at myself for trying it anyway. I keep denying I'm not as strong as I used to be and also how I'm not as able to do much when my back pain ramps up, which of course it did yesterday as I did a lot of standing while making the dressing.

I laughed as I guess my oyster dressing is "vegetable heavy" per your description, Beth, as I hand-diced about 8 stalks of celery for the dressing, and used about 5 large garlic cloves (older people call them garlic "toes" down here) and a large onion, too. I use the food processor first to grind up the garlic and then without taking it out, I chop up the onion finely. After removing them to a saucepan with a healthy hunk of butter and begin to soften them, I drain the oysters and buzz them until liquidy in the processor as well. Brian, like my family growing up, likes the flavor of oysters but not a whole oyster, which only myself and my dad liked. So I always chopped them up when I was young and then used the food processor to handle them when I got one.

I'm kind of picky about the texture of my oyster dressing though and always hand-dice the celery for it -- all of the 8 stalks I used yesterday. I couldn't WAIT to use the food processor to chop celery for dressing when I first got one but realized I preferred using my hand-diced celery than what the food processor produced. I always simmer my chopped celery in low-sodium chicken broth prior to using it in the dressing and then use the celery-flavored stock to baste my turkey as I have the oyster liquor to "dampen" the stuffing as well. I used to use a beaten egg years ago but hardly ever need it anymore. Tasted great this morning as I just HAD to sneak a forkful out of the fridge when getting our coffee! Embarassed

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum