Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.

+4
Crybaby
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Bugster2

Bugster2

Our turkey was good. The sides good. I stripped down the carcass and will make stock tomorrow and freeze it for the next turkey-time's gravy.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Thanksgiving Dinner 2019 is done.  For whatever reason I cannot get this stupid computer to agree with me as to what my email password is ~ why it suddenly needs it is beyond me.......

But my dinner was lovely on the table.  It tasted great.

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 11_28_10

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 11_28_11

Now for 'True Confessions':

Thank goodness this was NOT the year I invited company for Thanksgiving Dinner.  I THOUGHT I was purchasing an organic chicken ~ it was lovely, nice and plump.  

When I tried to carve it I realized there was a problem.  I couldn't cut through the wing joints or the leg/thigh joints.  It temped out just fine before I let it rest.  What could the problem be????

IT WAS A FRIGGIN' STEWING HEN...............

The price label was pasted over the 'Hen' part ~ all I noticed was 'Organic' when I bought the thing.  But after I couldn't easily carve I rummaged through the trash and found the wrapper and peeled the label off ~ and then I knew what the problem was.

So, if I don't get PO'd completely, tomorrow I'll drop the darn thing in a pot and let it simmer for hours and make stock.  

So, my meal of eating just sides was just fine this year.......

What a bummer. Maybe you can take the thing ( wrapper ) back to the store and get something else; or your money back.

JanaAZ

After planning to have thanksgiving In LA and working on the meal, we decided to head home on Tuesday instead of Friday. Too dangerous to drive thru mountains with the expected snow and ice storm. I pulled together the quickest thanksgiving dinner in history. Thank goodness I was able to find a small fresh turkey because no way we’d get one thawed In a day. Not quite what we planned, but I’m thankful it all worked out.

JanaAZ

After planning to have thanksgiving In LA and working on the meal, we decided to head home on Tuesday instead of Friday. Too dangerous to drive thru mountains with the expected snow and ice storm. I pulled together the quickest thanksgiving dinner in history. Thank goodness I was able to find a small fresh turkey because no way we’d get one thawed In a day. Not quite what we planned, but I’m thankful it all worked out.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

My turkey also came out perfect, I did not brine it, my turkey had had its seasoning, so I just patted dry and sprayed PAM, covered with cheese cloth, put in the oven for 3 and 1/2 hours, I sprayed more  PAM every 1 hour.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING from my family to yours

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 Dscn6012
THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 Dscn6013
THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 78843510

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

It's all over, and all cleaned up! Really?? Nope!
The refrigerators are Packed with leftover containers of whatever food larger than 2 tablespoons full.
There is a large pot of turkey carcass soup cooking. Tina and the kids love turkey soup.
Me? .... read my lips. "NO More Turkey!" Today was enough!
Anyway, they win, and I Lose......so I guess I can take it on the chin! Or shall I say, Nose?".....The house smells like a turkey farm. ........... Oh Well!

Bugster2

Bugster2

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's all over, and all cleaned up! Really?? Nope!
The refrigerators are Packed with leftover containers of whatever food larger than 2 tablespoons full.
There is a large pot of turkey carcass soup cooking. Tina and the kids love turkey soup.
Me? .... read my lips. "NO More Turkey!"      Today was enough!
Anyway, they win, and I Lose......so I guess I can take it on the chin! Or shall I say, Nose?".....The house smells like a turkey farm. ........... Oh Well!

HAHAHA! You sound like Joe! He forbids me to cook the turkey carcass in the house. He can't stand the "FUG' and steam that it creates. I have an induction burner I put outside and cook the mess out there. Can't do it until the rain stops. We don't have any overhangs in the backyard to shelter the burner.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, your turkey turned out beautifully! I'm so happy for you, especially since you were so unsure of how to cook it. I'm sure Dirk and your in-laws were so happy for the meal you made for them.

It's so good to have you back and posting your pics to share with all of us.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:
UNCLE JIMMY wrote:It's all over, and all cleaned up! Really?? Nope!
Me? .... read my lips. "NO More Turkey!"      Today was enough!

HAHAHA! You sound like Joe! He forbids me to cook the turkey carcass in the house. He can't stand the "FUG' and steam that it creates. I have an induction burner I put outside and cook the mess out there. Can't do it until the rain stops. We don't have any overhangs in the backyard to shelter the burner.

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 2876911673 THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 2876911673 THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 2876911673

Bugster2

Bugster2

The rain isn't stopping so I said the hell with him and put a pot on the stove. He shut all of the doors in the house and keeps asking me how long? I am sure the next thing will be fans set up all over the place. I am beginning to hate this house. I have to wait until Katie gets up before I start any laundry. Her bedroom backs up to the laundry room. The laundry also is right above Joe's room, so he has to be awake before i can start a load. I hate open concept kitchens. If Joe is watching TV in there, I can't make any noise in the kitchen. He pointedly pauses the TV and stares at me until I get the hint. I told him he should put a TV up on the third floor where no one will bother him. He hasn't taken the hint.

bethk

bethk
Admin

The stewing hen that wasn't any good as a roast chicken is making some mighty fine stock. I've been simmering it for about 6 hours so far and the bones/joints just started to pull apart. The flavor is a good, chicken-y flavor.

When it's done I'll pull out all the solids, including the bones & meat that have given up all their flavor and strain it through cheesecloth to catch any excess peppercorns, etc., into a clean pot. I'll cool it down as quickly as possible in an ice bath in the sink and then let it sit in the refrigerator out in the garage overnight to (hopefully) gel up and let any fat be skimmed off.

Then, into 16 oz. containers to be stashed in the freezer for another day. After smelling it all day yesterday and today I'm ready to be done with that and will appreciate a soup another time.

NormM

NormM

This was in the paper yesterday, Nov. 28 2019. Look at the date they have in the ad. Thanksgiving 2017.THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 20191116

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

bethk

bethk
Admin

Everything that goes around comes around........((again))

NormM

NormM

Kind looks like they designed the ad a couple years ago and ran the ad again without thinking about the date.

Bugster2

Bugster2

My stock was ruined by a stockpot with a strainer I bought at Target. I don't remember what I bought it for but I dumped everything in it and simmered for hours. When it came time to strain, I lifted out the strainer part and dumped the contenets into a garbage bag. I put the strainer in the sink and started to wash and I smelled something fishy. I took a sniff of the strainerand that is where the smell was coming from. I have not used the pot before and it was thoroughly washed before use. I took a taste of my stock and it was fishy too. Something in the metal. I had to dump everything. The pot is going to charity ASAP. You get what you pay for. I should have used my 16 qt ALL Clad.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Turkey soup today, Dirk likes it very much, he ate 2 big bowls, I added 1 cup of rice (the way his mom cooked it), cooked in the turkey broth ( I pulled out the meat from the bones ), added half of nutmeg, salt, lots of black pepper, when the rice were almost tender, I added potatoes, carrots and celery, I did not have onion to add in, I added a bit of fried garlic before serving it

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 Dscn6015

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:The rain isn't stopping so I said the hell with him and put a pot on the stove. He shut all of the doors in the house and keeps asking me how long? I am sure the next thing will be fans set up all over the place. I am beginning to hate this house. I have to wait until Katie gets up before I start any laundry. Her bedroom backs up to the laundry room. The laundry also is right above Joe's room, so he has to be awake before i can start a load. I hate open concept kitchens. If Joe is watching TV in there, I can't make any noise in the kitchen. He pointedly pauses the TV and stares at me until I get the hint. I told him he should put a TV up on the third floor where no one will bother him. He hasn't taken the hint.
They sell noise cancelling headphones to remedy that.
Maybe that will work?

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:This was in the paper yesterday, Nov. 28 2019. Look at the date they have in the ad.  Thanksgiving 2017.THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 20191116

Thinking about articles in the paper, there was a flash dropdown on the comcast webpage, and it was for a guided tour and visit in the Strawberry Hill area near KCK. I remembered the mention on one of your posts about living there as a younger kid. Am I right, or am I dreaming about that?

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugster2 wrote:My stock was ruined by a stockpot with a strainer I bought at Target. I don't remember what I bought it for but I dumped everything in it and simmered for hours. When it came time to strain, I lifted out the strainer part and dumped the contenets into a garbage bag. I put the strainer in the sink and started to wash and I smelled something fishy. I took a sniff of the strainerand that is where the smell was coming from. I have not used the pot before and it was thoroughly washed before use. I took a taste of my stock and it was fishy too. Something in the metal. I had to dump everything. The pot is going to charity ASAP. You get what you pay for. I should have used my 16 qt ALL Clad.

I'm so sorry your stock was ruined.  That's so disappointing ~ not that it's a terrible amount of work but it is a lot of time spent 'watching the pot' and getting everything ready.

But if the pot is somehow 'stinky' (maybe the metal isn't the best), maybe a trip to the trash is better than 'gifting' it to someone less fortunate who might have the same experience as you.  

My stock came out beautifully.  I was surprised how even the fat layer was a beautiful golden color.  And even though that nasty stewing hen was a terrible Thanksgiving bird, it was a superior stock bird!  So, I guess I was able to learn something from my experience.

I ended up with 6 containers of jellied chicken stock to freeze.

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 11_30_10

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:Turkey soup today, Dirk likes it very much, he ate 2 big bowls, I added 1 cup of rice (the way his mom cooked it), cooked in the turkey broth ( I pulled out the meat from the bones ), added half of nutmeg, salt, lots of black pepper, when the rice were almost tender, I added potatoes, carrots and celery, I did not have onion to add in, I added a bit of fried garlic before serving it

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 Dscn6015

I just wanted to look at your picture again..............

beautiful ~ ~ and yummy looking! I can almost taste it.

NormM

NormM

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:
NormM wrote:This was in the paper yesterday, Nov. 28 2019. Look at the date they have in the ad.  Thanksgiving 2017.THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 20191116

Thinking about articles in the paper, there was a flash dropdown on the comcast webpage, and it was for a guided tour and visit in the Strawberry Hill area near KCK. I remembered the mention on one of your posts about living there as a younger kid. Am I right, or am I dreaming about that?

Yes I grew up on Strawberry Hill. The ad was probably for the Museum there. It is in a building that used to be a Catholic church and orphanage. I lived several blocks south of there. Both the church and my apt. are very close to the bluffs above the Kansas river and the hillside there had wild strawberries growing on it, hence the name.

cookingirl

cookingirl

My thanksgiving was spent at home. I was invited to my cousins daughter’s, but I did not feel comfortable driving at least 2.5 hours—with traffic, to get there; with another 2 hours to get back home.

I could have gone to my other cousins, but I go there for Christmas. I was fine being home alone, with Geoffrey.

I relaxed, binge watch some programs, and cooked for myself, while listening to thanksgiving day music

Here is my table setting
Before the meal and again before I ate.

cookingirl

cookingirl

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 0a623d10
THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 C164b510

bethk

bethk
Admin

Cindy, your table & meal is beautiful!

We just had Thanksgiving for the two of us ~ and I didn't do any decorations. ((I was happy the table was wiped off......LOL))

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

cookingirl wrote:THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 0a623d10
THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  - Page 3 C164b510

So pretty. It's like you are setting up for the pilgrims to come to eat.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum