Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thanksgiving...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thanksgiving... Empty Thanksgiving... Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:17 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

To early for me to make anything.Or plan anything..

Don't know why the news are saying turkey shortage or the prices are sky high.

I bought a breast. Then I bought 2 8lbs .48c lb.

I do not like dark meat so I may smoke the breast.

My DS is upset with me for not coming up north.Well he can get over it..He and his friends do not walk in my shoes nor has he respected MY wishes..

2Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:54 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

We'll be going over to Lyn & Bill's, as we have for the last 3 years. Her kitchen is fun to work in and I get to take over. We'll have turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, (probably) some sort of sweet potato dish, green beans (plain), maybe corn, (hopefully) Brussel sprouts w/grapes & pecans ~ compliments of Barb and her wonderful example, (probably) the red cabbage slaw w/dried cherries & apples, pumpkin pie and maybe an apple or cherry dessert of some kind.

Not sure how many will be at the table.....but her table seats 10 - 12 easily. It usually ends up being a Thanksgiving dinner for all the 'lost souls' who don't cook and don't have an invitation anyplace else. But we always have plenty to eat and everyone has a good time.

3Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:55 pm

NormM

NormM

I have been suggesting we have Thanksgiving at my house since I moved back to Kansas City but my sister has always said 'no'. Right after dinner last year she was probably tired and asked about rotating the meal in the future.  I said I'd do it this year.  I was pretty sure she'd forget or try to get out of it later.  Sure enough a last month she ran into Cassie and she reminded her that dinner was at our house this year.  She tried to waffle out of the deal but Cassie told her I'd already bought extra chairs and planned the menu.  That wasn't entirely true but that set the dinner for here and i have been giving it some thought in the last few days.  I ordered a Heritage ham to go with the turkey.  It was on sale but still expensive with shipping. I cut the biggest pieces off for the freezer and had some of the trimmings. It is good.  I tried to get a turkey too soon. Some places didn't have any yet and the one place that did only had smaller ones. I got a smaller one since I had the ham too but the next day there were turkeys all over the place so I got another small one.  Both are in the freezer. I made some cranberry relish with pears and apples and plan to make some dressing for the freezer today.  Cassie does not like breakfast sausage or celery so I found one from Emeril that has andouille sausage and plan to use bok choy stem instead of celery.  I found a pecan pie recipe that uses some ginger, bourbon and chocolate that I plan to make too.  Everything else is tentative.  Someone else is going to bring the mashed potatoes and another a sweet potato dish.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

4Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:40 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

"and plan to use bok choy stem instead of celery"

Don't you think there will be too much water in the bok choy, Norm? I'd suggest water chestnuts, but don't know if you like the crunch in your dressing......

5Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:25 pm

NormM

NormM

I have substituted both water chestnuts and bok choy for celery in the past and thought both worked ok.  I didn't think about the water chestnuts this time.  For taste, I think bean sprouts come close to the taste of celery. The dressing is already made, covered in a baking dish and in the freezer. I might think about stirring in some water chestnuts before baking it though.

6Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:50 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Think I will bone out the breast and stuff and roll it.

Mashed parsnips and B.Sprouts . I saw a recipe for some corn muffins that I will make.

Dessert? Do not know yet. Might even pass.Or I could make a sugar free pumpkin pie with a pecan crust.

I will not go off my Low carb just because it is the food feast day of the year.. No

7Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:34 pm

NormM

NormM

I just saw a recipe where you put stuffing in a slow cooker, top it with a turkey breast and slow cook it until done.

8Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:20 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

That might give you moist dressing and breast meat but I'd have to stick it under the broiler to insure I got the best part......crispy skin!

(I'm terrible, I know.......but I love the stuff!)

9Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:28 pm

Barbara101

Barbara101

Pass on the bread ...I have made this before and it is sure good..

10Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Got my cranberry sauce going today ~ I like to let it sit and have the flavors combine for a few days. I cooked 1 lb. of cranberries, 1/2 c. water, 2/3 c. sugar, 1 tart apple chopped into small dice, zest of one orange. When the cranberries 'popped' I turned it off, the apples are still firm (and look like jewels mixed into the sauce).

On Thursday I will section the orange I zested to add to the sauce and maybe some chopped pecans....I like it with the nuts but I'm not sure anyone else does.

My mom liked to make a raw cranberry relish with apples, oranges & walnuts.....had to grind that stuff with the old 'screw-to-the-table' cast iron grinder. The original wing nut that held the grinding wheels on had been long lost so Dad found an old metal nut that fit. Even though it was well washed, I stil thought that nut looked as though it still had axel grease on it.....LOL

11Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lyn and I have the menu selected for our meal. There will be four couples with everyone bringing something. I just made the list (I do much better if I write everything down.....), noting who was already 'assigned' a dish. Then, tomorrow, Lyn & I will go shopping for what we need to finish out our parts of the meal. We only have to get the turkey, 3 vegetables & a small bunch of grapes. Everything else is either made, or will be made before Thursday. It should be a fairly simple meal to get on the table.

Here's our menu:

Roast Turkey, Stuffing, Gluten Free Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes & Gravy, Brussel Sprouts w/Grapes & Pecans, Green Beans, Corn, Salad, Rolls, Cranberry Sauce.....Cherry Cheesecake, Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Roll

12Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:51 pm

NormM

NormM

I have dressing, cranberry relish with apples and pears, pumpkin pie and pecan pies all made and in the refrigerator. Cassie want to make the green been casserole, my sister is bringing the salad and her son and daughter are bringing sweet potatoes and mashed potatoes. I guess I need to make a vegetable, cheese, pickle tray, then I think I'll be ready to cook the turkey and ham on Thanksgiving day. Oh yeah, I need to bake some bread too.

13Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I could make a meal of a loaf of your bread, Norm!

14Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:00 pm

NormM

NormM

Thank you Beth.

15Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Got my cranberry sauce going today ~ I like to let it sit and have the flavors combine for a few days.  I cooked 1 lb. of cranberries, 1/2 c. water, 2/3 c. sugar, 1 tart apple chopped into small dice, zest of one orange.  When the cranberries 'popped' I turned it off, the apples are still firm (and look like jewels mixed into the sauce).

On Thursday I will section the orange I zested to add to the sauce and maybe some chopped pecans....I like it with the nuts but I'm not sure anyone else does.

My mom liked to make a raw cranberry relish with apples, oranges & walnuts.....had to grind that stuff with the old 'screw-to-the-table' cast iron grinder.  The original wing nut that held the grinding wheels on had been long lost so Dad found an old metal nut that fit.  Even though it was well washed, I stil thought that nut looked as though it still had axel grease on it.....LOL

I made cranberry sauce too, like yours.. usually Dirk made the raw cranberry relish, but he realized not many of us like it, so this year he let me do it my way, he only told me he wanted some honey in it, so ok, as you wish dear.... oh it's so good,

Thanksgiving... 39_zpsclbhakft

and a pumpkin cheesecake to bring to Thanksgiving dinner, I hope I can easily release the pie as I forgot to spray baking spray before I poured in the ingredients
 Sad

Thanksgiving... DSCN4848_zps33zmrzxi

16Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:I have substituted both water chestnuts and bok choy for celery in the past and thought both worked ok.  I didn't think about the water chestnuts this time.  For taste, I think bean sprouts come close to the taste of celery. The dressing is already made, covered in a baking dish and in the freezer. I might think about stirring in some water chestnuts before baking it though.

My Maria doesn't like celery either, but I use the celery powder or salt, and she doesn't complain.
Tina purees the celery when she makes the stuffing ( we call it stuffing ).

17Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:18 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Dinner for turkey day, will be a 12 lb. turkey stuffed, and an 8 lb. breast.
Starters, will be home made manicotti ; sauce of tomatoes, and sausages and meatballs.

Creamed mashed cauliflower...mashed potatoes ..... Sweet candied sweet potatoes.

Veggies....  dinner rolls....gravy....cranberry sauce.

DD is making pumpkin pies from scratch with pumpkin raw and cooked.

Tina is making her pumpkin pie recipes. And DD is wishing for apple pie; so Tina will make 2 of them.  .... And a cheese cake. We haven't had cheese cake in months.

DIL is making a pumpkin roll cake, with cream cheese filling.

I guess we will be feasting. There is no doubt about that.

18Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:45 am

Barbara101

Barbara101

truth be told I would die for a lasagna and garlic bread and Italian wine..Maybe a cannolli..

19Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:24 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The last cannoli I made with the combination of the parmesan cream sauce and homemade marinara was to die for!  If I remember correctly, I made a beef/spinach/cheese filling.  But it was the parmesan cream sauce that made the dish as it melded with the marinara and bubbled into the pasta tubes.  

Ah, but I digress.......

I came into this thread to say I've got my Pumpkin Roll Cake made and sitting all rolled up to cool.  I'll wait until tomorrow morning to make the cream cheese filling.

My pumpkin pie is in the oven as I sit here.  My test crust (pie crust cinnamon/sugar 'cookies') proved to me I got the ratio of butter & Crisco correct and my crust will be tender.  Ever since they changed the formula for Crisco I've struggled to get it right.  If the 'cookies' had been tough I would have wimped out and gone to the store to pick up a refrigerated Pillsbury crust because they are good, although not as good as homemade IF the homemade comes out correctly. No way am I going to present a pie with tough crust to guests. My reputation is too important to me...hahahaha

My 'regular' pumpkin pie recipe uses a 28 oz. can of pumpkin and makes 3 pies.  I cut it back for just one.  Now I know I won't do what I've done in the past.....eat a 1" 'test' slice of pie, followed by 10 more through out the morning of prepping.  

And I always wondered why I wasn't hungry for the meal by the time I got it on the table ???  LOL

20Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I mentioned to Dane my pie came out of the oven looking presentable for company. I'm happy to know my younger brother's thumb print will NOT be apparent in the center of the pie and have to be covered up with the Redi Whip ! Boy, my mother got so angry when EVERY YEAR, all three of the pumpkin pies had a 'thumb gouge' right in the middle. She tried everything to hide those pies from him but I think he scouted out the kitchen in the middle of the night searching for her hiding place(s) until he was 14 or 15 years old.

Thanksgiving... 2015%20Pumpkin%20Pie

Like I said, I'll wait until tomorrow to make / fill the pumpkin roll with the cream cheese filling. Then it will get a fresh sprinkling of powdered sugar.

Thanksgiving... Pumpkin%20Roll

21Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:30 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I was planning to try to make pumpkin cheese roll, I have bookmarked the recipe I wanted since months ago, but I totally forgot about it, and on my mind was pumpkin cheesecake/pie, and I'm glad it came out good and beautiful

Thanksgiving... 44_zpshzs5hwl1

it's boxed and chilled in my fridge now

Thanksgiving... 43_zpskjjtyl66

22Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Lovely. I'm sure Dirk & his parents will love it!

23Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:08 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda, here is the recipe I use for my pumpkin roll.  I like that it's baked in a 9 X 12 pan so the cake part is a bit thicker than the ones baked on a half sheet pan.  I usually bake the cake part the day before so it has time to cool rolled up in the towel.  Then I refrigerate it overnight before I make the filling and re-roll for serving.

Pumpkin Roll

Beat together:
3 eggs
1 c. Sugar
2/3 c. Pumpkin puree (canned Libby)

Then add:
½ t. Cinnamon
¾ c. Flour
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt

Lightly grease 9 X 13 baking pan and line with parchment paper.  Add mixture EVENLY making sure the corners are filled.  Bake at 350* for 15 minutes.

Turn on to towel (lightly sprinkled w/powdered sugar), remove parchment, roll lightly from narrow end and allow to cool on rack.  When cool, unroll carefully to remove towel, fill and re-roll.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.

Filling:  Beat together – 8 oz. Cream Cheese, 2 T. softened butter, 1 t. vanilla, and 1 c. powdered sugar.

(and, NO, there is no oil or butter in the cake. The canned pumpkin is all that's needed.)

24Thanksgiving... Empty Re: Thanksgiving... Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:Imelda, here is the recipe I use for my pumpkin roll.  I like that it's baked in a 9 X 12 pan so the cake part is a bit thicker than the ones baked on a half sheet pan.  I usually bake the cake part the day before so it has time to cool rolled up in the towel.  Then I refrigerate it overnight before I make the filling and re-roll for serving.

Pumpkin Roll

Beat together:
3 eggs
1 c. Sugar
2/3 c. Pumpkin puree (canned Libby)

Then add:
½ t. Cinnamon
¾ c. Flour
1 t. baking soda
½ t. salt

Lightly grease 9 X 13 baking pan and line with parchment paper.  Add mixture EVENLY making sure the corners are filled.  Bake at 350* for 15 minutes.

Turn on to towel (lightly sprinkled w/powdered sugar), remove parchment, roll lightly from narrow end and allow to cool on rack.  When cool, unroll carefully to remove towel, fill and re-roll.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.

Filling:  Beat together – 8 oz. Cream Cheese, 2 T. softened butter, 1 t. vanilla, and 1 c. powdered sugar.

(and, NO, there is no oil or butter in the cake.  The canned pumpkin is all that's needed.)

I have no luck in rolling the cakes, is it easier to roll the thick or thin cakes? I'm afraid I'd crack it.. and from what you said, you refrigerated the roll cake overnight before filling the cream cheese, did you chilled it with the towel on? and did you have to put the cake in a container so it would not dry out? thank you.. I still have 1 can pumpkin pure and plan to make it for next week, Dirk"s sister is coming to town

and would you post the picture of the pan you used? Thanksgiving... 2453703928

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum