Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.

+4
Crybaby
Bugster2
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I know, I know, ..... Here in 10 days from now, will be Turkey day......
I told Tina.....why don't we just get a dinner from Boston Market!
Boy, did I get rolled back eyes...hahahahahaha Rolling Eyes

75 years old....I'm in no mood for the B S .
We got the turkey ...22 Lb one. A butterball brand.
Tina wants the usual appetizer of Lasagna. She uses the No Boil noodles. Yuk!!! I don't like the cardboard noodles. I have plans to bake my own recipe with the regular Non Curley / Non Ridged ones. Plus...NOooo Meat.
Cheese Only!

Oh Well..... enough for now, but I'm sure there will be other episodes to add later.

OH!.... would you believe... The tree is up in the living room. YES!
The Christmas tree!... DD put it up last week! I mentioned, Maybe we should get out the egg dyes to color eggs. Grrrrrrr!

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wish I knew how to copy images of Walter Matthau to post here.....

(in case I've lost you with my reference, he was a cast member in the movie, "Grumpy Old Men")

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

Bugster2

Bugster2

Our tree is up too Jimmy.

Crybaby

Crybaby

Jimmy, if you can't talk Tina out of using the no boil noodles in the lasagna, why don't you ask her to add 1 cup of water mixed into the red sauce she puts in her lasagna. I made some recently using the Rao's sauce and it was absolutely delicious and that's what I did. My noodles were also the no boil type and they were tender as all get out and thin, thin, thin, which is why I like them, as they're much thinner than regular lasagna noodles! The brand I used (whose name escapes me right now) comes in a pan that's about 12 inches square, which is the same size as the noodles; they suggest making your lasagna right in that pan but I like a DEEP lasagna pan so you can use LOTS of cheese and lots of sauce. I got a new glass lasagna dish several months ago which is 4 inches deep so I used three layers of filling, and three layers of the noodles and tons of sauce. Before using them, I simply rinsed both sides of the noodle sheets in hot water prior to placing them in the lasagna.

BTW, Brian said he would never have known I used jarred sauce to make the lasagna if I hadn't told him. It really was THAT good! Since it's just the two of us, I was able to cut the lasagna into good-sized serving sizes once it was cold and wrap them for the freezer. Laughed, as Brian already had another serving of it from the freezer -- he didn't last a week after I initially served it!

I used a pound of ground meat and a pound of smoked "kitchen sink" sausage I had in the freezer from the Smoking Goose in Indianapolis. It was delicious -- even better than I'd hoped for!

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We used Rao's sauce ( marinara ) and found it bitter. Tina likes the thin noodles because of the fact they are light and not heavy.
We came to an agreement that I will make a small lasagna, the way I like it. They all like a meat sauce, and I like just a plain sauce.

Bugster2

Bugster2

We didn't like Rao's either.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:We didn't like Rao's either.

We like Ragu Original or 5 cheese.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I haven't found one that i like yet.

cookingirl

cookingirl

I found Rao’s to be very salty.

I saw a jar of sauce, at the Italian deli. It was interesting.
There was an attached plastic cup, filled with oil, spices. The jar was plain crushed tomatoes.

The idea was the convenience of a jarred sauce, with the option of making it from scratch. Kind of all in one.

I asked about it. They said it was a huge “seller”, especially with die hard Italians. I think it is imported from Italy

I am will pick up a jar, next time I am there. It seems intriguing.

Bugster2

Bugster2

cookingirl wrote:I found Rao’s to be very salty.  

I saw a jar of sauce, at the Italian deli. It was interesting.
There was an attached plastic cup, filled with oil, spices. The jar was plain crushed tomatoes.

The idea was the convenience of a jarred sauce, with the option of making it from scratch. Kind of all in one.

I asked about it. They said it was a huge “seller”, especially with  die hard Italians.   I think it is imported from Italy

I am will pick up a jar, next time I am there. It seems intriguing.  

Let us know what it is called.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

I bought 13 lbs turkey this year, it will be my second time roasting a turkey, and I kind of forget what to do, how long I should take it out for thawing, oh well..

Tomorrow we have Thanksgiving dinner for the less fortunate people in our community at our parish, I'm going to volunteer, last year I peeled tons of potatoes and shredded the hot turkey meat, tomorrow I'm going to to it again, they have plenty of turkey, but they need side dishes, I saw in the parish office, they have tons of potatoes, water, stuffing and more, I like how our community cares. This year I'm going to donate sweet potatoes with marshmallow, I bought 8 big cans of sweet potatoes, what should I do with them, should I just pour them in a big pan and roast them, then add marshmallow on top? I think the sweet potatoes are already sweet, any spice needed?

Bugster2

Bugster2

I took out my frozen turkey a few days ago and let it defrost in the fridge. You should do the same, Imelda.

bethk

bethk
Admin

Welcome home, Imelda! You've been missed.

Thaw a frozen turkey in a pan or big bowl in the refrigerator for probably 4 days, it wouldn't hurt to have it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.....it takes quite a while for all the ice to melt on the inside.

I've not made canned sweet potatoes but would think if you drained them and cooked the liquid down a bit before you add the potatoes it might make them less watery. I'd boil it down with some butter (because everything is better with butter) and maybe some brown sugar, depending upon how sweet it is already. I'd use the foil pans and put in the drained potatoes, then pour over the reduced can juices adjusted to your taste, maybe a bit of cinnamon and/or some slices of orange. After the potatoes are heated through add the marshmallows and return to the oven to let them get gooey.

You also might consider adding some chopped pecans or walnuts to one pan if people want a little variety.

Whatever you decide to do will be appreciated, I'm sure.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Imelda HL wrote:I bought 13 lbs turkey this year, it will be my second time roasting a turkey, and I kind of forget what to do, how long I should take it out for thawing, oh well..

Tomorrow we have Thanksgiving dinner for the less fortunate people in our community at our parish, I'm going to volunteer, last year I peeled tons of potatoes and shredded the hot turkey meat, tomorrow I'm going to to it again, they have plenty of turkey, but they need side dishes, I saw in the parish office, they have tons of potatoes, water, stuffing and more, I like how our community cares. This year I'm going to donate sweet potatoes with marshmallow, I bought 8 big cans of sweet potatoes, what should I do with them, should I just pour them in a big pan and roast them, then add marshmallow on top? I think the sweet potatoes are already sweet, any spice needed?

Imelda...great to see you back.
We are doing a 20 Lb frozen butterball turkey for Thursday.
We will take out the turkey on Sunday, and place it in the refrigerator section to thaw.
On wednesday morning, I unwrap the bird, and rinse it out. I salt it liberally inside the cavity. Then place in a big big pot, and add more salt.
Like 1/4 cup. Add water and ice. If the breast is not submerged in the water, I then just place a napkin or paper towel on top. The temperature will be at less than 40 degrees here outside, so I will put the pot outside on the back porch. I won't need the ice.

Early Thursday morning, like 6 AM...I will drain and dry the bird, and oil the outside with olive oil. Salt the inside a little,We add stuffing in the bird; so we set it in a roaster pan, salt it well. ( about a tbs Kosher Salt
and black pepper. ) Cover the pan with foil, and set it in the oven at
325 F. for 5-1/2 to 6 Hours. We use a baster mid time to suck out the excess water / juices. Save some juices in the pan.  The last 1/2 hour, take off the foil and continue to cook till it browns.

We tie the legs together, and add 1/2 of a hard kaiser roll, or the end / heal of the bread to hold the stuffing in the bird. Just push it in and press to hold it in place. It will stay there.
A tug to a leg ....pull and when it comes loose from the joint....that bird is done.
I put the bird on the counter, and cover with foil. I then cover with towels, to keep it warm up to 2 hours.

The reason we start early is, we have older people that have to leave for home before dark. ( 4:45 pm )
We eat starting at 2:00.... I hate it so early, but I shut my mouth.

One thing I will mention, is that the oven temperature is on 325 F and that way, It won't speedy cook and dry out the breast.

Drain the canned sweet potatoes. Add a full stick of butter in a large frying pan. I use an electric skillet. Add brown sugar.... about a cup.
Add pancake syrup, about 1/2 cup, and cook this to make a sweet sauce.
I cut the potatoes, and into medium chunks / pieces, and just layer them in the pan. Cover and simmer on low. Tina and I don't like the marshmallows, but the kids do. They just sprinkle a few on the potatoes.
Sometimes the marshmallows are too much, and if stale, and not fresh...they won't melt a little.

Maybe someone else's input can help.

Bugster2

Bugster2

I have a yam casserole recipe from The Junior League that we use every year. It has a pecan praline topping which you could easily substitute with marshmallows. I hesistate to post it because i don't know if you have access to a hand mixer because it needs it.

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Thank you Bugster, Beth and Jimmy, I have had my turkey in my fridge now, and will take it out on Wednesday to brine overnight

I made my sweet potatoes following Beth's idea, I think mine is a bit watery, but the last time I saw before I left the hall, it's all gone

We did not stay for dinner, I helped them peeling the potatoes, they have 10 bags of 10 lbs potatoes, I admired the people who volunteer there,  a big pot of boiled potato, a lady mashed it and added sour cream, butter and salt. Another lady made a big pot of stuffing ( from the the box), others shredded steaming hot turkeys, I saw 8 to 10 turkey wrapped tight in foils. We left by the time they started serving, the youths got assignment to serve, and some of them went out to deliver boxes of foods for the sicks

THANKSGIVING 2019 plans / what to cook.  78316510

bethk

bethk
Admin

Those look good ~ I just know how much they were appreciated! How wonderful you have the energy and ability to help for such a worthy cause.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina is up at the church now, cleaning up after the dinner for the less fortunate.
She was there all morning cooking and prepping too!
Tuesday, they will be passing out dry and canned foods from the pantry.
The younger parishioners do not participate.  It's a shame!

I just picked around, and ate what I could find. I wasn't feeling well today. No

Bugster2

Bugster2

Imelda, don't make the same mistake that I did. Read the label and see if the bird has been injected with a salt solution. Most frozen birds have. I brined one of those birds and the bird was almost too salty to eat and the drippings were unusable. Way too salty.

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know I said I wasn't going to cook a Thanksgiving dinner but have conceded that we'll have to have a meal so I'm planning on a roast chicken (turkey has never been one of my favorite birds....), squash casserole (simply the leftover butternut squash mashed & reheated in a casserole dish), a small casserole of bread dressing with lots of celery & onion & maybe some pecans, Brussels sprouts w/bacon, shallot, grapes & walnuts and roasted carrots & parsnips. I think I'll also make our traditional orange jello/cabbage/pineapple salad (served with a dollop of Miracle Whip in the same way we've eaten it for 50 years or more).

Truth be told, I could make the entire meal of side dishes and skip the protein altogether. Hey, now that's a great idea! (I wonder if Dane would notice no meat???)

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

Bugster2 wrote:Imelda, don't make the same mistake that I did. Read the label and see if the bird has been injected with a salt solution. Most frozen birds have. I brined one of those birds and the bird was almost too salty to eat and the drippings were unusable. Way too salty.

Oops, thank you, good to know, I'll make sure to read the label

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

bethk wrote:I know I said I wasn't going to cook a Thanksgiving dinner but have conceded that we'll have to have a meal so I'm planning on a roast chicken (turkey has never been one of my favorite birds....), squash casserole (simply the leftover butternut squash mashed & reheated in a casserole dish), a small casserole of bread dressing with lots of celery & onion & maybe some pecans, Brussels sprouts w/bacon, shallot, grapes & walnuts and roasted carrots & parsnips.  I think I'll also make our traditional orange jello/cabbage/pineapple salad (served with a dollop of Miracle Whip in the same way we've eaten it for 50 years or more).

Truth be told, I could make the entire meal of side dishes and skip the protein altogether.  Hey, now that's a great idea!  (I wonder if Dane would notice no meat???)

My weakness is MEAT, we like meats so much Rolling Eyes

Imelda HL

Imelda HL

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Tina is up at the church now, cleaning up after the dinner for the less fortunate.
She was there all morning cooking and prepping too!
Tuesday, they will be passing out dry and canned foods from the pantry.
The younger parishioners do not participate.  It's a shame!

I just picked around, and ate what I could find. I wasn't feeling well today. No

We have so many volunteers, some of them have been volunteering for decades ( like Tina, maybe), it's good to see the younger parishioners also come out to help, mostly because they came to help with their parents when they were little, and now they are also bringing they kids to help, like family tradition, we have small parish, almost everybody knows everybody, the youths helps too, they serve the dinner and deliver boxes of meal to the sicks

Bugster2

Bugster2

I hope you are feeling better today Jimmy.

I was up all night withh my feet twisting and moving all by themselves. I got up and walked around but it didn't work. Those cramps are a pain.

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:I hope you are feeling better today Jimmy.

I was up all night withh my feet twisting and moving all by themselves. I got up and walked around but it didn't work. Those cramps are a pain.

Yeah....those leg cramps are like twisted squid legs.
Tina gets cramps a lot, and especially when she is dehydrated.
She rubs that cramp lotion as shown on tv. It works. Or she drinks Tonic water.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum