Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 13]

101Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:30 pm

NormM

NormM

I did a pot roast for dinner tonight. I used the Italian dressing, Ranch dressing and brown gravy mixes that I learned from Beth.Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 20181117

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

102Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:38 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The army corps of sandcastle builders Tina said.
When she was little, the corps of engineers assured that the levies to stop flooding near the low valley and the flats, were going to stop floods no matter how much it rained. They never took into consideration the Damn breaking in their calculations, and she was one of the little girls taken off the 2nd floor rooftop in a row boat.

Supper was a burger with onion and cheese with ketchup.
Maria made an apple pie, and I'm waiting for it to cool.

103Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:31 am

Niagara Visitor

NormM wrote:I did a pot roast for dinner tonight. I used the Italian dressing, Ranch dressing and brown gravy mixes that I learned from Beth.Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 20181117

How,/where/why did you use two salad dressings?  I understand a gravy mix, but the salad dressings?

104Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:32 pm

NormM

NormM

Ranch  and Italian Dressings comes in powder form and in packets. The seasonings in them add to the flavor of the meat and vegetables in a nice way. You just sprinkle them on top of the meat and add a little water. The juices from the meat mix them all together while they cook.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

105Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:50 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Jimmy, it's something you can't eat....it's all sodium so it's on the "NO" diet.

106Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:05 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Jimmy, it's something you can't eat....it's all sodium so it's on the "NO" diet.

Oh yeah.... big time sodium, but that's what makes it only a once every month treat.hahahaha

107Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:39 am

Niagara Visitor

I have seen powdered mixes for dressings, have never bought any.

108Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:48 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Niagara Visitor wrote:I have seen powdered mixes for dressings, have never bought any.

Lore, there are only a couple recipes I use the dry mixes for.  This one was shared by 'Bev' on the old cooking.com forum when members were asked to share their best crockpot recipes.

I think she called it Italian Beef Roast.....1 pkg. Italian Salad Dressing mix (like Good Seasons), 1 pkg. Ranch Salad Dressing mix (like Hidden Valley) and 1 pkg. Brown Gravy mix (like McCormicks).  Mix all the dry mixes together and stir to combine.  Place chuck roast in slow cooker and spoon/sprinkle the dry mixture on top.  Add 1/2 c. water (or any liquid) around the outside, not on top of the dry mix.  Close the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 - 12 hours or until roast is tender.

The thing I learned was it is important to NOT open the crockpot.  The dripping condensation as it cooks falls on the dry mixes and allows the meat to have a 'seared' look and texture.  

You can cook with carrots, onions, potatoes ~ just like an oven pot roast.  I usually put the veg under the roast but around is fine, too.

Sometimes I make it with just the chuck roast to shred and when tender, remove the fat, de-fat the juices to mix in with the shredded beef and then I make 'Italian Beef Sandwiches' from it ~ a toasted sub bun with mozzarella and the tender shredded beef.

109Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Does your roast taste artificial? I have used Ranch dressing mix in a taco soup recipe and a ranch chicken recipe and they are good. I have never used a gravy mix or an Italian mix because they were not good - too artificial. Can you taste the "fake" in your roast? I can't stand Lipton onion soup mix so that is why I am asking. Your recipe sounds good but I wonder if there is any way to taste it before I use it on a roast.

110Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:03 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Debbie ~ I've never detected a 'fake' taste but everyone is different. I believe it is a combination of the 3 dry mixes that works together. It is, however, VERY salt forward so if, like Jimmy, anyone is sensitive or should not have a lot of salt, well, this one is NOT for you.

It is important to use a chuck roast because it breaks down when cooked, allow it to cook long enough to be very tender and shred apart. And it doesn't work in the dry heat of an oven....the key to the recipe working is to have the condensation drip down on top of the dry mixes and moisten them and allow it all to dissolve into the meat. You definately do not sear the meat before adding it to the crockpot ~ it goes in raw and un-seasoned because all the seasoning is in the dry mixes.

111Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Not having to sear the meat is wonderful. Searing makes a heck of a mess and I have to wash eeverything, including the stovetop grates. Next time I will give it a try.

I caught Joe's cold. I always do. Been dosing myself with Zicam. Hope it cuts it short. I never catch colds myself, I always catch them from Joe and they always turn into a raging holocaust.

112Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Get out some homemade chicken stock and breathe in the vapors. I always think it helps.

113Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Niagara Visitor

No cooking again for me today.  My late daughter's best friend was in Toronto on business for a few days, so my son Danny, daughter-in-law Amy (other son's wife) and I met Jenelle in a restaurant halfway between Toronto and St. Catharines for lunch.  I am so happy that Jenelle comes, this is her third trip since Cindy died, so it is always lovely to see her.  She is studying to become a certified instructor for 5 Rhythms dance, and apparently it is very popular in Toronto.  I really must go visit her in Anaheim too!
 https://www.google.ca/search?q=5+rhythms+dance&rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA751CA751&oq=5+rhythms+dance&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6430j1j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I had a great steak with a medley of stir fried mushrooms, onions, peppers, broccoli.  Yumm!

114Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:41 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's good that Cindy's friends love you enough to stay in contact ~ as our family discussed yesterday at the Memorial / Celebration of Life, memories keep them with us. You are blessed!

I thawed out a chicken breast this morning, not knowing what I was going to do. I ended up making dinner salads. It was good for a change of pace supper.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 11_12_10

115Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

There was nothing on TV so in desperation I turned on Rachael Ray. While she was cooking I noticed she had a spoon with a cut-out so you could rest the spoon on the rim of the pot. Anyone own one? What do you think? It is called a lazy spoon.

116Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I don't need another "gadget" type utensil. I won't be buying one.

117Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:59 pm

Niagara Visitor

bethk wrote:It's good that Cindy's friends love you enough to stay in contact ~ as our family discussed yesterday at the Memorial / Celebration of Life, memories keep them with us.  You are blessed!

I thawed out a chicken breast this morning, not knowing what I was going to do.  I ended up making dinner salads.  It was good for a change of pace supper.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 11_12_10
I love a dinner salad. That looks like a lot of chicken.  I used to do a salad plate for us using mixed greens, veggies like pepper strips, maybe some olives,  then possibly leftover chicken, maybe some pork tenderloin if I had them.  If not, then smoked oysters, sardines, smoked salmon  cheese, maybe a couple of hard cooked eggs, etc.  Always on a huge platter to share....................... And some great Niagara wine to wash it all down!

P.S. Yes, I feel very fortunate that Jenelle keeps in touch.  It keeps the memory of Cindy more alive.  THat devastating anniversary, unfortunately, makes your Thanksgiving at the end of November no celebration for me.  November 29. 2009.

118Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:10 pm

Niagara Visitor

Bugster2 wrote:There was nothing on TV so in desperation I turned on Rachael Ray. While she was cooking I noticed she had a spoon with a cut-out so you could rest the spoon on the rim of the pot. Anyone own one? What do you think? It is called a lazy spoon.
She uses the spoons all the time.  Personally, I try not to have what is inside my pot, get on the outside, so I use a spoon rest.  Resting the spoon on the edge of the pot, I think may be messy.

119Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:04 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I had green spinach, broccoli, and arugula pasta with a great sauce Tina made. Turkey meatballs, and luganega sausage.

Bread slice with clarified butter spread. Good!

Cottage cheese and peaches for dessert!

Had to see the cardiologist today. BP was good, and ECG was good.

120Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The spoon rest and utensils, are a Major issue in this house.
I too hate splash and drippage on the outside of the pot / pan, etc.
The stirring implement , I place in a container with a water bath inside.
I do not like build up of whatever I'm cooking on the implements themselves.
I also NEVER use wooden tools to stir with. Wood is too porous and I don't like the thoughts of using wood. Bamboo is not as porous as wood, but I refuse to use them too.

There are times, if a splash happens, I will interrupt cooking, wash the outside of the pot, and then the burner grates.

121Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:43 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

The spoon rest and utensils, are a Major issue in this house.
I too hate splash and drippage on the outside of the pot / pan, etc.
The stirring implement , I place in a container with a water bath inside.
I do not like build up of whatever I'm cooking on the implements themselves.
I also NEVER use wooden tools to stir with. Wood is too porous and I don't like the thoughts of using wood. Bamboo is not as porous as wood, but I refuse to use them too.

There are times, if a splash happens, I will interrupt cooking, wash the outside of the pot, and then the burner grates.

122Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:03 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Not having to sear the meat is wonderful. Searing makes a heck of a mess and I have to wash eeverything, including the stovetop grates. Next time I will give it a try.

I caught Joe's cold. I always do. Been dosing myself with Zicam. Hope it cuts it short. I never catch colds myself, I always catch them from Joe and they always turn into a raging holocaust.

Like Beth said..... Chicken soup. Home made though.
A couple spears of whole garlic to cook slow and low in the soup.
I just finished the chicken soup today.
Tina used carrots, celery, two thighs, and stock with water.
one bouillon for flavor. Only one; because they are salty.
2 garlic spears, and one onion halved with skin on. ( The cooked skin, turns the soup yellow, and folk tales, say it has medicinal values.??)

Lots of fresh ground black pepper too.....

For throat and coughs, honey and lemon juice.
For the stomach...... honey in tea, or just a spoon of honey itself.

Feel Better Debbie.

123Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:08 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

NormM wrote:Ranch  and Italian Dressings comes in powder form and in packets. The seasonings in them add to the flavor of the meat and vegetables in a nice way. You just sprinkle them on top of the meat and add a little water.  The juices from the meat mix them all together while they cook.

My DD does a pork butt in the slow cooker for 8 hours, and it pulls apart like butter. She uses adobo seasoning, and that ranch powder.

124Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:29 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am going to get sicker, starting today, for the next 5 days. Have to take some antibiotics that make me sick. I don't know if I can keep them down or not.

I am reheating leftover pot roast for Joe tonight. I don't know how my gut will be, so i will play it by ear.

I made some chicken pot pies with puff pastry crust. they were good but the crust was almost impossible to get of the pie plates. I soaked and soaked in hot water for a couple of hours. It was stuck on like glue and I had to use my fingernail and pick it off. How can I avoid it next time? Just have the pastry fit inside the dish and float free? I could by pastry shells instead of sheets and fill those instead.

125Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 5 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:55 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I can't stand wooden spoons either, Jimmy. I don't like the way they feel. They make my skin crawl. This spoon I was talking about had a notch taken out of the handle so it could rest on the edge of the pot and drip into the pot. I was looking at the measuements and it might be too big. 14 inches long. Great for big pots but I don't know about other, smaller pots.

Just cleaned up the cat's barf. I have to do it almost daily. With 4 cats it is a given.

1.pick up a hairball if there is one
2.put paper towels on top of spot
3.step on paper towel
4.remove towel
5.repeat
6.spray area with carpet shampoo
7.scrub
8.place paper towels on top
9.step on towels
10.repeat until damp
11.let air dry

LOL!