Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Welcome November what's cooking!

+4
NormM
bethk
UNCLE JIMMY
Niagara Visitor
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 13]

26Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:21 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I forgot to turn back the clocks last night so when I got up at my usual 5 a.m. ~ well, I'll be sorry tonight! ((sigh))

I've got some boneless chicken thighs marinating in an Asian sauce I made. I'm thinking of just baking them and basting with the half of the marinade I boiled down earlier. It's got a lot of soy in it so they'll probably look 'black' but that's OK with me.

Gonna have some roasted sweet potato chunks, Brussels sprouts and wilted lettuce to go with the chicken.

27Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:49 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Hey, Jimmy.....

I came across a resource you might find helpful, for when you don't know what to eat.

It's a list of low carb foods and condiments, just scroll down. This is a website I've used before and it does have some decent recipes that I've made....or modified to my meal plans.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/low-carb-keto-food-list/

28Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:43 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

I am defrosting a couple of rib-eyes for dinner. Too nauseous from the meds I am taking to go to the store for something to go with the steaks so I pulled out my emergency side: Stouffers cheese potatoes. I will make a salad to go with it.

Christmas came early for me. My sister called and she has all of these points she got from buying her appliances. She can redeem them for countertop appliances. I don't know what I will get but I chose either the Wolf countertop oven, the Wolf countertop griddle or a Wolf toaster. I didn't need their cookware, cutlery, multicooker, blender. Their multicooker is nice because it does sous vide but I don't use my other cooker so it would be a waste. For some reason I don't like the look of sous vide meats and fish. Looks flavorless but I am sure I am wrong or else it wouldn't be so popular.

29Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

30Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

The only TV dinner featured that I remember eating was the Morton Ham Steak.....Morton brand was a lot less expensive than Swanson ~ or else my mom wouldn't have bought them as a 'treat' for us 4 kids. But no matter what it was called, we did NOT eat in front of the TV.....all meals were eaten in the kitchen.

Supper came out pretty good. I think the little bit of extra effort I put into removing the bone from the chicken thighs (as well as removing much of the visible fat chunks) is worth it. I like to leave the skin on, especially if it gets a bit crispy....or a LOT crispy!

The Brussels sprouts were browned in some bacon fat, added a bit of chopped onion and about a cup of cut up green grapes to cook down and provide moisture and sweetness to steam them. I took the lid off after a bit to let the grapes cook down to a glaze and added the chopped bacon.

The wilted lettuce was just what the doctor ordered.....it's an old time favorite that I really don't think to make often enough.....dressing of bacon fat, sugar, cider vinegar ~ some sliced onion dropped in as the dressing comes to a boil and then it gets poured over the washed leaf lettuce. If it's not wilted enough to suit me I just put the stainless steel bowl I mix it in back on the burner to keep the dressing at the bottom hot and I just use tongs to flip the lettuce around. It gets finished with some of the crispy bacon, too.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 11_04_10

31Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:21 pm

NormM

NormM

We had meatloaf tonight.Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 20181110

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

32Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:36 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Looks good, Norm. Did you roast the potatoes and broccoli together?

33Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Is that a bacon weave Norm? Very pretty.

34Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I just walked out in the courtyard....an overcast, humid evening that's really dark......as soon as I opened the patio slider the fragrance of the night blooming jasmine hit me. It's so lovely. It must be just starting to bloom.....hopefully it'll last a week or more.

35Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

It has been warm and dry here.

I was watching this show called "Unexpected". It is about teen moms. Pretty sad about how ignorant these kids are about parenthood. Anyway, there was this young girl raising her child at her grandparent's house. The granddad had just found out he had cirrhosis of the liver. Unfortunate for him. What was so funny is that he said he had psoriasis of the liver. Too funny!

36Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 10:25 pm

NormM

NormM

Yes, I roasted the broccoli and potatoes together but in the end the potatoes needed a couple more minutes in the microwave and the broccoli got crunchy.

Yes that is a bacon weave. I had a picture of it posted but now it's gone. Here is another picture of it.
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 20181113

37Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:13 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I always forget to ask,,,,,,,,but not tonight!

How do you slice through the bacon weave and actually get nice slices withou it all falling apart? I made a huge mess of it when I tried to imitate your beautiful classic. (No, I didn't post a pic.....it was THAT BAD!........LOL)

38Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:32 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:Hey, Jimmy.....

I came across a resource you might find helpful, for when you don't know what to eat.

It's a list of low carb foods and condiments, just scroll down.  This is a website I've used before and it does have some decent recipes that I've made....or modified to my meal plans.

https://www.wholesomeyum.com/low-carb-keto-food-list/

Thanks Beth..... Great List!

39Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:37 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I always forget to ask,,,,,,,,but not tonight!  

How do you slice through the bacon weave and actually get nice slices withou it all falling apart?  I made a huge mess of it when I tried to imitate your beautiful classic.  (No, I didn't post a pic.....it was THAT BAD!........LOL)

If I had to guess, and it was me, I would wind up unweaving the bacon right into my mouth! Then I would slice the loaf ..... bounce

40Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:08 am

NormM

NormM

Beth, I get the knife really sharp with this sharpening stone then I cut slowly through the bacon before I finish cutting down through the meat loaf.  Mom had a sharpening stone like this when I was small. Well hers was broken in half and she had part of one. I found this on ebay and it works as well or better than anything else I have tried to keep a knife really sharp. Plus, you need to cut a fairly thick piece of meatloaf.
Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 20181114

41Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:01 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Love the wooden handle knives.
I have a few Trimontin brand knives. I hide my favorite ones from the knife abusers in this house....

I have a knife sharpener that works great. A handle with wheels of carborundum to pass the edge over.

Some of my collection. Paring knives and others I use for cooking.

The knife sharpener is great, and simple to use. Stick the edge in the center V and draw with light pressure.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Img_1216

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Img_1217

42Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

A bagel with cream cheese for breakfast.

Lunch ??? Supper ???????

Thinking cap is not working today... hahahahahahaha

43Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:25 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I wish I had a talent for sharpening knives with a stone. I've got a knife straightner like Jimmy's but it isn't keeping my knives as sharp as I know they can be. When I was a kid my dad had a rectangular stone that he used with oil and our knives were always sharp. Maybe I just need to look for a good one and start to practice. I have a real problem with the correct angle.

Supper tonight was burgers on the grill. I had mine with sauteed onions. I did smashed baby potatoes and roasted cauliflower.

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 11_05_10

44Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:55 pm

NormM

NormM

As a kid, I'd take out a pocket knife and whittle on a twig. I find the same angle as when whittling on the stone works best for me. It is the angle that cuts a long sliver of wood, not trying to cut it in half.

45Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:28 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Well that makes more sense to me than....."hold the blade at a 33 degree angle"........LOL

46Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:23 am

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Had a turkey burger for supper, with a package of brussels sprouts.

The bun was low carb. The burger had a huge slice of cooked / raw 50% each way, and it was awful. It was a red onion too no less! I bit down, and the whole damn onion pulled out, and landed on my chin, then on my plate. hhahahaaa See the purple onion on top? Not tasty!

Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Img_1218

47Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:33 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I took the time to slowly peruse the meat counter at the store today......beef short ribs on sale.....SCORE!

48Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, that's a really cute picture of you!

49Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:I took the time to slowly peruse the meat counter at the store today......beef short ribs on sale.....SCORE!

Nothing like braised short ribs -- one of our favorite meals. Been waiting for them to go on sale here, too.

50Welcome November what's cooking! - Page 2 Empty Re: Welcome November what's cooking! Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Well that makes more sense to me than....."hold the blade at a 33 degree angle"........LOL

I have one of those Chef's Choice knife sharpeners that I love. Brian used to sharpen the knives on a steel I have and then when the knife needed it, he would use the stone on the knife and then finish with the steel. I just could NOT get the angle right to do it myself, plus the sound of the knife on the steel made me crazy -- like fingernails on a chalkboard!

The Chef's Choice was pricey but we have a lot of money invested in Henckels and Wustof knives and to me, a knife is really more dangerous if it's NOT sharp. Besides, I hoarded gift certificates I got as Christmas presents from a male and female attorney I worked for for a couple of years (they were really generous and they each loved getting a smoked turkey for their present each year). I also had a couple of other gift certificates I'd gotten from relatives so one day, I headed to Williams-Sonoma with $825 of gift certificates in my pocket along with Brian. I spent about $950 and he laughed, saying only I could spend that much in a cooking store. I laughed too and told him he should look at it like I got $950 worth of merchandise for only $125!

What I really like about the sharpener is most of the time, you just use the first slot to hone the blade. Every once in a while, I use a second slot to sharpen the blade since as honing it (straightening it out) makes it sharp for a long time without the need to sharpen it. It's easier on your knife and usually the honing alone makes it very sharp. Works fantastic and I've been more than pleased with it. The best part of it is that I could sharpen a knife when Brian wasn't home. He uses it as well. It lives on the counter next to the toaster and the Cuisinart so it's handy for use.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum