Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 11]

126"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Bugs....take some benedryl and let it make you go to sleep. That will help with the itching. I was in misery, like you, after we went to Key West and I got bit a hundred times by the 'no-see-'em' mosquitos. No one else was affected, just me ~ and the severe itching didn't hit until 7 days later, after we got home.

Nothing topical helped but the benedryl caplets did help make it more bearable although it didn't stop completely. Good luck. Baking soda paste might help somewhat on the big swollen ones, however. Worth a try.

127"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:Boy, Jimmy -- that looks delicious. What cut of beef is that?

It was an Eye round, and I cut it in half. Froze 1/2. It was well done (Tina's Choice) but it was tender.
Usually, we pick up a huge eye round, and the kids come over. I drag out the meat slicer, and shave the beef so we can have Roy Rogers roast beef sandwiches on seeded rolls, and cups of augue to dip the beef in.

I usually don't like eye of round except on the smoker as it always seems dry to me when cooked indoors.  Yours looks delicious.  I had a small slicer by Krups that we really liked but it broke rather quickly.  I had so many Krups stuff that stopped working that I FINALLY stopped buying them...

128"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:40 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

bethk wrote:Bugs....take some benedryl and let it make you go to sleep.  That will help with the itching.  I was in misery, like you, after we went to Key West and I got bit a hundred times by the 'no-see-'em' mosquitos.  No one else was affected, just me ~ and the severe itching didn't hit until 7 days later, after we got home.

Nothing topical helped but the benedryl caplets did help make it more bearable although it didn't stop completely.  Good luck.  Baking soda paste might help somewhat on the big swollen ones, however.  Worth a try.

Can't take Benadryl - gives me a terrible stomach ache.

129"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:48 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Are there any antihistimines you can take? Or maybe they're all the same......don't know that much about meds.

130"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided at the last minute that I didn't feel like cooking. We went to PDQ....a 'fast food' type place that has chicken.....chicken tenders, chicken nuggets, chicken sandwiches, chicken salads ~ all pretty fresh. You can get the stuff breaded or not and with any number of dipping sauces. 'The boy' liked that they offer zucchini fries as a substitute for regular fries ~ a light crunchy coating on deep fried zucchini strips.

I thought he might enjoy going to a place he's not been before (I don't think there are any PDQ's in Ohio, at least not by our house) and he said it was OK but he likes the chicken at Chick Filet better. Their chicken is really good, I gotta agree.

131"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:58 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tina brought me back from her PA shopping trip, A pizza from Alfredo's, and gnocchi.
The Gnocchi were like bullets. She ate one, and asked the girl for a carryout box. She told the girl,
they were the worst gnocchi she ever ate. She just threw it up now.

132"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:19 pm

NormM

NormM

Bugs. The first time I heard of tri tip was when I was invited to spend a few days with friends and Joanie Sommers at Pismo Beach in 2003. It was served in a sandwich.  I later learned that it was a very early Mexican cowboy cook out favorite.  It is called Santa Marie BBQ and there is a recipe here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/santa-maria-style-bbq-tri-tip-recipe-2014974

Last edited by NormM on Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

133"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:22 pm

NormM

NormM

Imelda HL wrote:
Crybaby wrote:
NormM wrote:
bethk wrote:I know it's around the area.  There's a Mexican restaurant I like to go to and their fajita supper comes with a WHOLE skirt steak, cooked to a perfect medium rare, that you cut into pieces and then slice across the grain for your tortilla.  It's really, really good.

So maybe the beef producers only sell the good stuff to restaurants because they've found not many people in The Villages cook meals on a regular basis.

LOL

I suspect fewer people cook on a regular basis than we realize.

I never even see skirt steak for sale in a local grocery -- no lie.  I'm not even sure I've ever seen it.  I wish we had a couple of "real" butcher shops around here.  

I saw on the cooking show, they grilled skirt steak a lot, I rarely see it on the stores either, I don;t know if I ever ate it, maybe in a burrito/quesadilla, but never ate the grilled ones, I always want to grill it but I have no idea if it's tender or tough meat cut..

Imelda, it is one of those stringy meats that can be very tough and stringy but when cooked quickly on the grill to medium rare or rare and cut very thinly across the grain, has a great flavor and isn't tough. It need to be cut pretty thin though.

134"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 am

Bugster2

Bugster2

NormM wrote:Bugs. The first time I heard of tri tip was when I was invited to spend a few days with friends and Joanie Sommers at Pismo Beach in 2003. It was served in a sandwich.  I later learned that it was a very early Mexican cowboy cook out favorite.  It is called Santa Marie BBQ and there is a recipe here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/santa-maria-style-bbq-tri-tip-recipe-2014974

We have been eating tri tips for 40 years. We use a rub similar to Bobby's except it has paprika and fresh rosemary. We also eat pinquito beans a pico de gallo with ours. I used oak to smoke it. It turned out OK but not great. It really is better done on the grill on a higher temp.

135"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:01 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I decided to make chicken parmesan for supper.  After I got it started Jake mentioned he'd prefer his chicken just made into CRISPY chicken ~ "Like Chick Filet has.....".  So, I assumed he was OK with the rest of the meal.  Turns out, in further conversation, it's a meal his father makes....over and over and over again and Jake REALLY doesn't like it anymore.  So, I teased him about saying his dad cooked like I did and he kept saying, "I didn't say that, Grandma.  My dad doesn't cook ANYTHING like you...."

Hahahahaha ~ I love teasing him.  

So, for supper Dane & I had chicken parm with linguini & a light sauce and Jake had CRISPY chicken cutlets.  Gotta take pics FAST if you're going to record what Jake likes to eat.

I just did a very light flour coating to seal the chicken for searing before adding the sliced mozzarella cheese & sauce for Dane & me.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Chicke11

I used a standard breading for Jake's cutlets with flour, egg & seasoned panko for crispy chicken.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Crispy10

136"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:10 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Imelda HL wrote:

I saw on the cooking show, they grilled skirt steak a lot, I rarely see it on the stores either, I don;t know if I ever ate it, maybe in a burrito/quesadilla, but never ate the grilled ones, I always want to grill it but I have no idea if it's tender or tough meat cut..

Imelda, it's my understanding that skirt steak is the tough grainy cut of meat from the bottom of the steer (a thin, apron looking piece of flesh at the very bottom below the belly).....much like stringy flank steak.  When I've found it (usually at Costco or Sam's Club) it has the fat and some silver skin still attached that needs to be cut away.  It's usually about 4" wide and not very thick.  As Norm said, it's best cooked on a hot grill or pan to rare or medium rare and then cut into thin slices across the grain as you would do with a flank steak.  It's most often used for Mexican fajitas.

It's just another example of what use to be a 'throw away' cut of beef, or something that was tossed into the bin to be ground up for hamburger, that is now popular (and tasty) and the price has sky rocketed.

137"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

You reALLy are a great cook Beth! I like Jake's idea of wanting crispy chicken.
Me Too! I am not one for chicken that is hidden under wet cheese and saucy stuff!

138"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:48 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

We had safety suppers today. We both suffered with sour stomachs today, and last night.

Tina Mommy had canned chicken noodle with stars soup. I had a container of those Chinese noodles, and a can of smoked herring fish.
Yogurt for dessert!

139"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

NormM

NormM

I took some uncooked noodles and the leftover skirtsteak I already cooked and made a recipe called Philly Cheesesteak Casserole. The only ingredients I didn't have was some bell peppers and cheese sauce. I didn't take pictures.

140"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:49 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:It's just another example of what use to be a 'throw away' cut of beef, or something that was tossed into the bin to be ground up for hamburger, that is now popular (and tasty) and the price has sky rocketed.

I just about died this morning when I checked out our local grocery's circular in the paper -- there it WAS!  Skirt steak that I'd never even seen advertised before or, to my knowledge, in the meat case.  $8.99 a pound!  Was so surprised to see it but not surprised by the price....

141"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

Crybaby wrote:
bethk wrote:It's just another example of what use to be a 'throw away' cut of beef, or something that was tossed into the bin to be ground up for hamburger, that is now popular (and tasty) and the price has sky rocketed.

I just about died this morning when I checked out our local grocery's circular in the paper -- there it WAS!  Skirt steak that I'd never even seen advertised before or, to my knowledge, in the meat case.  $8.99 a pound!  Was so surprised to see it but not surprised by the price....

That's much better than the $17.99/lb they have at my local Fresh Market....I wouldn't pay that under ANY circumstance.

142"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:57 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know Jake doesn't care for 'tough or chewy' meat so pork chops on the grill would not be a favorite.  But I figured one of the little pork tenderloins would be just fine with him.  And I was right.  He loved it.  He even liked the Kalbi Beef Marinade / Glaze (store bought) I put on it when it was on the grill and had a little bit to spoon over.  I grilled the rest of the sweet corn (it wasn't nearly as good as when it was fresh but sitting in the refrigerator for a few days was what happened to it.....I almost forgot it was in there!).  And I know Jacob likes his potatoes so a few boiled potatoes are always in order ~ and he doesn't mind sharing a few with his grandma.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Kalbi_10

143"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:I know Jake doesn't care for 'tough or chewy' meat so pork chops on the grill would not be a favorite.  But I figured one of the little pork tenderloins would be just fine with him.  And I was right.  He loved it.  He even liked the Kalbi Beef Marinade / Glaze (store bought) I put on it when it was on the grill and had a little bit to spoon over.  I grilled the rest of the sweet corn (it wasn't nearly as good as when it was fresh but sitting in the refrigerator for a few days was what happened to it.....I almost forgot it was in there!).  And I know Jacob likes his potatoes so a few boiled potatoes are always in order ~ and he doesn't mind sharing a few with his grandma.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Kalbi_10

Beth, I'll bet Jacob would like chicken fried steak..?
Some nice thin beef cutlets, and flour egg and bread crumb, then fried.
Ummmm! Mashed potatoes and gravy....Yummy!

144"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:32 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

To heck with Jacob.......I would love a supper of chicken fried steak & mashed potatoes! LOL

145"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:44 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

bethk wrote:To heck with Jacob.......I would love a supper of chicken fried steak & mashed potatoes!   LOL

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 2876911673 "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 2876911673 "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 2876911673

146"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:02 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Nathan's grilled hot dogs tonight. I had my endoscopy yesterday and my throat is pretty bruised and swollen. Feels like I have a balled up sock stuck back there.

147"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:39 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Nathan's grilled hot dogs tonight. I had my endoscopy yesterday and my throat is pretty bruised and swollen. Feels like I have a balled up sock stuck back there.

Ahh! Poor Debbie! Feel better Deb! Bless you!

148"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:43 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

I know another girl that needs an endoscope soon. She's the one in the bath rooml throwing up her guts now!

149"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:53 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I watched the weather report and knew it was going to rain off and on all day.....pan roasted chicken, roasted carrots & parsnips and boiled baby potatoes. Jake wasn't excited about the carrots ~ says he doesn't like them any more. Oh well, that's life. I'm sure he won't starve.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Sheet_10

150"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 6 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Bugster2 wrote:Nathan's grilled hot dogs tonight. I had my endoscopy yesterday and my throat is pretty bruised and swollen. Feels like I have a balled up sock stuck back there.

Debbie, when do you see your doctor to find out what he learned from the endoscope? Hope you don't have to wait too long...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum