Cooking Friends
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cooking Friends

Friends sharing recipes, cooking techniques & menu ideas in a friendly atmosphere.

You are not connected. Please login or register

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017"

+4
NormM
Crybaby
Imelda HL
cookingirl
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 11]

251"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:22 pm

NormM

NormM

Ha ha. I didn't use mustard on the chicken. I did on the ribs I made a few days ago and I just used my hands. I used the moisture of the chicken instead and added nothing else but the rub.

http://r2j1cp@gmail.com

252"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:52 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:...  Then, Thursday will be laundry & packing day and Dane and Jake will head to Ohio to deliver him back home (and I'll be all alone in my quiet, peaceful house).

Boy, that month sure passed fast! Seems like Jake just got there. Guess it might feel a tad different to you, though!

Can't wait to hear what you're going to cook for yourself while Dane's away. Carb city? Potato Salad? Lemon Chicken?

If I forgot to tell you Happy Birthday, Beth, please accept my belated birthday wishes. With the repair work we need growing by the day, a termite scare, getting documents together for a home equity loan I decided to get once the repair costs increased, and Brian's Uncle passing away, my brain is a sieve!

253"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:55 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Uncle Jimmy wrote:haaaaaaa.... it was an oven stuffer for &495.
I asked Tina, "Where did you get the chicken, in the dumpster?"

Wow, they're ALWAYS good here, Jimmy. We love 'em.

254"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:11 pm

Crybaby

Crybaby

Norm, your Caramelized Chicken Drumsticks With Peach Molasses Glaze both looked good and sounded good. We use a lot of peach and apricot preserves on both chicken and pork tenderloin -- delish!

Might try out that on some chicken thighs Brian picked up this morning. They were only $1.77 a lb.

He also got a beef brisket that was on sale for $2.77/lb. It's almost 13 lbs. But now I can't find the recipe he uses when he cooks it in the oven -- I think I posted it here but the search feature sucks and I'm tired of looking for it. I know I typed it into my laptop recently but it's gone now, probably when I had all that freaking work done on the computer, which is still broken (I finally figured out to not enlarge the screen to full size on any program I'm in and that way the cursor can't click it closed; it's not ideal but it'll work until I bite the bullet and buy another laptop). The recipe is called Madge's Damn Good Brisket and it's one we use in the oven when he's not up to smoking it. It has been raining so much lately and when it didn't rain the past few days, the heat index was 105 so I really encourage him to cook it in the oven.

If anyone happened to save that recipe, can you please post it for me? Many thanks!

255"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:43 pm

NormM

NormM

Thanks Michelle. I used apricot preserves because the store didn't have peach and I already had apricot.

256"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:58 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

If it were me, I'd 'finger paint' the mustard on.........Hahahahahahaha!

We went to one of the country clubs for supper. 'The boy' had his fill of fish (brought the leftovers of his and 2/3 of mine home to eat this evening. We just got home so he'll probably have it gone in the next hour or so........

Dane ordered country fried chicken on mashed yukon gold potatoes and smothered in country gravy........NO MORE cooking low cal meals if I'm hungry for something else. Geesh!

257"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

Question: have you ever tasted Cincinnati chili for hot dogs? I ran across a recipe for it and it uses cinnamon, cloves, allspice and chili powder. Sounds really odd. Is it any good?

258"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:02 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Bugster2 wrote:Question: have you ever tasted Cincinnati chili for hot dogs? I ran across a recipe for it and it uses cinnamon, cloves, allspice and chili powder. Sounds really odd. Is it any good?

Truthfully, I made it from a recipe on line, and It didn't prove to make it again. Maybe it was the allspice and cloves.

I still find my Greek Style Hot dog and Hamburger chili sauce, the best.

259"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:57 pm

NormM

NormM

Jimmy's chili sauce is better. I have made Cincinnati chili a couple of times.  I tried it twice in case the first recipe was less better than most but I hated both. Charlie didn't like it either.  It was supposed to be served on spaghetti but regular meat sauce is better for spaghetti and TexMex chili is much better in a bowl and Jimmy's is really good on hot dogs... Just our opinion. I know there are people who like it. I sure don't, even if you try to forget that it isn't really chili.

260"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:09 pm

Bugster2

Bugster2

That is what I thought. The cinnamon and cloves just didn't go with the word chili.

261"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:26 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

I know a lot of people in Cincinnati love their 'regional' chili & spaghetti but I think it's an acquired taste, something you grow up with.  I've had it and made it and it wasn't anything I cared for.

Dane & Jake left at 2:00 this morning and are just about to the house in Ohio.....a long, tiring day for Dane, I'm sure.  But Robin & Ben are grilling chicken for supper and, knowing Robin, she has a supply of her dad's favorite Corona Light beer on ice.

In honor of them being OUT OF MY HOUSE......I made (you just knew it.......)

Potato Pancakes and Grilled Brats  !!!

I'm in potato pancake heaven!  

But if Dane comes snooping around, 'mum's' the word, OK????    LOL

262"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:29 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

This was my supper today.... "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 3267860543

Chili Burgers, with Jimmy Greek chili sauce that I keep frozen on hand.
Macaroni salad, and some olives, and beer to wash it all down.

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Img_0523

263"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:01 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

For some reason, I was exhausted last night......must have been not sleeping the night before and being on edge waiting for the boys to arrive safely.

But since I had leftover brats from the night before, I ended up with reheated brats in sauerkraut. It warn't bad....warn't bad at all.

Speaking of sauerkraut, did anyone else see the episode of DDD where the restaurant owner made Lauer-Kraut Burgers? I've been fascinated with the concept ever since I saw it. I finally downloaded the recipe ~ seems simple enough. It's browned ground beef cooked with onion, cabbage, sauerkraut and spices and then drained & cooled. Then it's wrapped in a yeast dough and baked ~ a loose meat sandwich in dough so to speak. Reminds me of a Michigan Pasty.

One of these days I'm gonna make a batch. Maybe I'll make them for a patio party.

264"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:44 pm

Niagara Visitor

Leftovers for me tonight. I had an "It's almost Dieter's birthday" party on Saturday. Hubby's birthday was today, July 31, and for most of the years we were married there was a party on that day. So, I had one Saturday. Chicken wings, potato salad, oven roasted potatoes, shrimp, beef rouladen and red cabbage, spanakopita and chick pea salad for the vegetarians, carrot cake for dessert. Of course there was too much food, but the most of leftovers went home with guests. I kept a few rouladen for myself, cause they are a lot of work.

265"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:02 pm

bethk

bethk
Admin

It's nice, Lore, that you continue the birthday tradition. That's just a way to keep Dieter with your family.

I also had leftover potato pancakes for my supper. I wanted to clean out the refrigerator because it's 'trash night'......if it didn't get eaten today it went into the trash! I'm tired of have a refrigerator full of bits of this and that and it never gets eaten unless I'm the one to eat it.

266"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:03 pm

Niagara Visitor

My son and DIL offered to have it at their house, but I love to cook and organize get-togethers, so I said that as long as I'm able to do the work, I want to do it in my condo. We have a party room here with a large fridge , so I reserved the room, not to have the party there, but so that I had the refrigerator/freezer space available the last two days before the dinner. I spoke with two of my neighbours who said that they would never have thought of that. Reserving the room doesn't cost me anything, and it's just an elevator ride away. Very convenient.

267"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:04 pm

UNCLE JIMMY

UNCLE JIMMY

Tonight was a bad supper.
Tina was on a shopping spree, in PA with my cousin Dee!....
She got back at 6:00, and brought back KK doughnuts for son Jimmy, and dropped them off at their house. Then brought back a dozen each for the neighbors next to us, and for across the street.
I was fixing the A/C on the neighbour's car; so Tina made me a delicious griddled cheese and tomato. Then I had the B A D!  4 KK doughnuts with coffee. Then, 2 pieces of butter crunch.
To make it look healthy, I had a peach yogurt!

"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Img_0524

268"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:42 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

I must be jealous! I would blow up like an overstuffed jelly donut if I ate KK donuts on a regular basis.... Your metabolism must be on overdrive ~ and that's a good thing.

But as for yogurt, good for you. I bought some 'French style' Yoplait yogurt called "OUI" yesterday to use to make a frozen peach yogurt pie. I had picked up 4 of the little jars (it's actually sold in little glass jars) to use for the pie(s) and when I tasted it I liked it so much I only used two in the pies and ate one and have one for today or tomorrow. They were a bit pricier than 'regular' yogurt ($1.34 each) but since the taste is so good, I can understand why.

The pies were made because neighbor, Tommy, had bought peaches again and wanted me to take them. He says it's because he only likes his peaches hard and under ripe to eat out of hand but it's happened too often for me not to know it's because he wants me to make a dessert for him. LOL The first time I made a peach cobbler, then a peach pie and this time a frozen peach yogurt pie.

Now, mind you, none are difficult to make but he doesn't cook or bake much but he does love his desserts. What easier way to get stuff than to buy the fixin's and pass 'em off to your gulible 'baking fool' neighbor? As soon as Dane was out of the house I had plans to do some baking. He gets his nose out of joint if I even mention wanting to make a dessert....but if he's not here I can make whatever I want without his disapproving looks. I guess I'll just have to make the most of him being in Ohio for the month and bake to my heart's desire!

269"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 am

bethk

bethk
Admin

Thread CLOSED

270"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

UNCLE JIMMY wrote:This was my supper today.... "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 3267860543

Chili Burgers, with Jimmy Greek chili sauce that I keep frozen on hand.
Macaroni salad, and some olives, and beer to wash it all down.

You know, I really like hot dogs and though Brian's not crazy about chili dogs, I love 'em. We have hot dogs a couple of times a year and I always really enjoy them though I rarely think about making them unless I see yours, Jimmy. I was just telling Brian the other day about your Greek chili sauce, how I'd never made it and that I wanted to try it. Heard Beth and Norm mention it so much that it's hard to believe I've never made it.

Can someone tell me where it's posted on here, as I know I've seen it before but I think I have it on the old desktop computer which will take 15 minutes to boot up (no lie!). I hate to ask someone to repost it as I know it's on this forum somewhere....

271"What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" - Page 11 Empty Re: "What's cooking for dinner - July 2017" Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:20 am

Crybaby

Crybaby

bethk wrote:Thread CLOSED

Oops, sorry!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum